HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 11:23 PM
PHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
No, the supertall site was always at 31st and Market, never at 32nd and Market. It's to the right of the building you circled. As Summersm has pointed out, the rumor mill also suggests the 32nd and JFK side of this parcel is going to have a tower base as well, too. (Which means vertical annexes may well be in the cards.)
Sorry if there's a simple explanation here (my brain is currently functioning very poorly while watching the Eagles suck eggs) but what do you mean by "vertical annexes may be in the cards?" I don't know what "vertical annexes" means in this context.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 11:56 PM

I think he means it's something that is built as mid-rise but can support a tower/more floors later. Penn finished a research building near CHOP a couple years ago that was considered phase 1 because it can support more (8 or 10, can't remember) floors in the future.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 12:31 AM
PHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
I think he means it's something that is built as mid-rise but can support a tower/more floors later. Penn finished a research building near CHOP a couple years ago that was considered phase 1 because it can support more (8 or 10, can't remember) floors in the future.
Makes sense. I can't imagine the complexity of that cost-benefit analysis lol. I'm assuming that kind of potential future modification requires them to essentially overbuild the original building, which no doubt costs quite a bit extra with regard to the material selection and foundation.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 5:46 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjrip View Post
Makes sense. I can't imagine the complexity of that cost-benefit analysis lol. I'm assuming that kind of potential future modification requires them to essentially overbuild the original building, which no doubt costs quite a bit extra with regard to the material selection and foundation.
Yes, buildings designed for overbuilding are overengineered in their initial phases where the tower pads are meant to be. They are deliberately built with the foundations, footings, and internal infrastructure necessary to support later additions. This is a calculated risk, as it may take generations (see the Gallery) for overbuilding to occur. However, if -- and this is an if for me as I haven't seen the site plans yet, but this is what Summersm was reporting -- the building is designed for an overbuild, it is also a statement of faith on Brandywine's part that the market will demand a more intensive use on this parcel sooner than the building's natural replacement cycle (at which point raze-and-replace becomes viable).

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Yes, buildings designed for overbuilding are overengineered in their initial phases where the tower pads are meant to be. They are deliberately built with the foundations, footings, and internal infrastructure necessary to support later additions. This is a calculated risk, as it may take generations (see the Gallery) for overbuilding to occur. However, if -- and this is an if for me as I haven't seen the site plans yet, but this is what Summersm was reporting -- the building is designed for an overbuild, it is also a statement of faith on Brandywine's part that the market will demand a more intensive use on this parcel sooner than the building's natural replacement cycle (at which point raze-and-replace becomes viable).
One question I've always wondered about is the additional cost for, lets say, building a 15 story building so an additional 15 stories can be added in the future. Penn did that with the HUPP admin building. Besides making certain items stronger, like the foundations and columns, some would need to be sized larger, like drain pipes and fire systems. But what about elevator shafts? I think adding them in the future through the lower floors that were already being used, would be a big expense and a royal pain in the ass for everyone. But what do you do with 2 or 3 unused shafts, use them as closets?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 7:28 PM

How Philly’s Bioscience Sector Is Driving the City’s Next Big Real Estate Boom

Nice article with some tidbits about this in there. Not much we don't already know.
Read more here:
https://www.phillymag.com/healthcare...12_50ElgmTTiMI

Old Posted Dec 30, 2020, 6:08 PM

Design of Brandywine's proposed $300M Schuylkill Yards life sciences building takes shape

Quote:
Brandywine Realty Trust plans to develop 3151 Market St. to cater to life sciences tenants. In an interview, Gensler Managing Director Doug Gensler shares his thoughts on what goes into the design of a research building that has both office and lab space and is competing with other buildings vying for similar tenants.
Article behind paywall below. Who can read the full thing?
Link:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=1#cxrecs_s

Old Posted Dec 30, 2020, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Design of Brandywine's proposed $300M Schuylkill Yards life sciences building takes shape

Article behind paywall below. Who can read the full thing?
Link:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=1#cxrecs_s
If you're fast with your hotkeys (Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C) there is no paywall. There isn't much detail here. They're basically saying that lab space is in demand and to design buildings with various lab uses in mind. Also, they want to build buildings that people want to work in. It's mostly fluff:

Quote:
How is this like any other building you design?

I think the expectation for work environments has risen significantly and I think high performing companies are recognizing they are important to recruit and retain talent. There is pressure on organizations to create a place to inspire them to be here, innovate and work together.
Not any new detail.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 5:58 PM

I have to say that I am really disappointed with Schuylkill Yards. To me they remind me of some people I know who are trying to be rappers who always say "big things coming soon" and it ends up being nothing. I understand that the pandemic has hurt a lot interest in office space. However what is stopping them from starting the apartment tower? That was proposed over 3 years ago and it has been nearly 5 since Schuylkill yards was formally proposed. All we have to show for it is a mediocre park and a renovated 4 story building.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
I have to say that I am really disappointed with Schuylkill Yards. To me they remind me of some people I know who are trying to be rappers who always say "big things coming soon" and it ends up being nothing. I understand that the pandemic has hurt a lot interest in office space. However what is stopping them from starting the apartment tower? That was proposed over 3 years ago and it has been nearly 5 since Schuylkill yards was formally proposed. All we have to show for it is a mediocre park and a renovated 4 story building.
Apartment marketing in the core is going through a tough time as well. They did say they would be breaking ground on the apartment building next year (2021), but the apartment market is hurting, and an already weak commercial office market for Philadelphia, has been hit even harder by COVID.

Hotel market is hurting as well.

Only thing seemingly doing well is Life Sciences, which looks for office space with larger floor plates.

Unless things rebound immediately, expect a different Schuylkill Yards than the initial plans.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 8:33 PM

It's always been a 20+ year master plan so I would say it's not really worth coming here daily expecting updates

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 3:25 PM

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 7:43 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
I actually really like this building. As a Drexel alum, this is a great entry into campus, not too overwhelming and I love the park / extension of Woodland Walk across Market Street.

Now if we could just figure out a plan for that pesky Firestone (been closed for a while).

I still hope for a supertall, maybe on the Eastern plot of along JFK, but I don't mind a short building on this plot. Over 200' is still decently tall for that spot.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 1:41 PM

I think I like the green but I'm not quite sure yet.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 4:37 PM

^ Interesting use of copper. High hopes for this building.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
I think I like the green but I'm not quite sure yet.
I think it will be a nice blend and work well in the area. I like something a bit different and this will have some nice appeal to it.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 8:59 PM

WOW 600 million in capital investment in life sciences in January alone . Could be multi billion $ year .Very prestigious for Philly . Equates to more lab space and office space . Would love to see North Station to get off the ground .

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 4:39 PM

I like the building too! Think it'll be a nice addition to the area.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch+Eng View Post
I agree completely. Major disappointment.

It is. See the photo below. The building is significantly shorter than the previous renderings. Not to mention the quality reduction of the facace. I am looking at the plans for this project now... The new design runs from market to JFk, so there is no room to build a separate taller building behind it.

-
The original proposal was perfect in every way. Even if the recent ones call for chopping off a significant chunk of 3151 (which I still cringe to this very day, as Philadelphia always has a penchant for lowering and chopping off it's proposals), the 1,095 ft supertall (the golden tower to the right) was supposed to be the centerpiece of the 30th St Station District. If the developers don't build the supertall despite chopping off 3151 Market and the other tower along JFK Blvd, I'd consider this project a waste of time, money and energy. I'd love to see 3101 become a reality, at the very least, and if it doesn't, I'm not holding my breath for it or any of the SY projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch+Eng View Post
Once again, the quality may still be there, but the scale of these towers have gone down. Brandywine got this right the first time, and now it's being downscaled to this. Don't get me wrong, nothing really wrong with the towers, but it's the scale, the size and the height that has me thinking buyer's remorse. I don't mind changing a few of the towers to a different design, but when you don't have the centerpiece supertall tower in this proposal, it reminds me of another mothballed tower I won't name here, but like I said, if 3101 Market doesn't get built, then I won't be surprised. SY has been changed so many times, it looks totally unrecognizable from the original, and I won't even be surprised that we'll still be taking the Greyhound bus terminal on Filbert St in the next 20 years.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 2:26 PM

^ I'm not sure you understand what buildings are.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction