HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 3:30 AM
aka Studdedleather

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Its a good day today. Now we just have to see which boroughs tallest will win the race. Brooklyn or Queens.

With the JDS tower, and this, Manhattan is no longer the lone skyscraper paradise. Which is the trend I like to see. More skyscrapers in the outer boroughs. (Including JC, because JC is the Taiwan of NYC). It really belongs to NYC.
I hope it's BK only because (from what we've heard) it'll be a real supertall at least 1,200ft+ and because it'll really add to the already big Downtown BK. But after/before 340 Flatbush we'll need something else in the 900ft range.

While LIC and JC are getting supertalls as well, I think DoBro has the best skyline after Lower and Midtown. . .

This is an old shot. . .(DoBro in the back)
Imagine our 340 Flatbush in this shot!!!

http://m0.i.pbase.com/o9/06/102706/1...4FwTe.p692.jpg

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 3:58 AM

^ That must be from 2013. The skyline changed a lot more since then!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 4:08 AM
aka Studdedleather

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuy87 View Post
^ That must be from 2013. The skyline changed a lot more since then!
Yes an old shot but it's still an ok reference. From this vantage point especially, it shows how the DoBro skyline would be with our supertall addition.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 2:55 AM
New Yorker for life

Surely the height in this piece isn't completely accurate, but a new tallest for Queens is coming either way...

http://www.qgazette.com/news/2016-02..._Building.html

Plan New Tower To Overshadow Citicorp Building

By Liz Goff

Quote:
A new, 79-story, mixed-use tower may soon overshadow the Citicorp Tower and Tower Two in Long Island City.

Developer Chris Xu has filed plans for development of the Court Square Citi View Tower at 23-15 44th Drive, a 963-foot tall building that would be one of the tallest buildings in the neighborhood.

Plans call for the tower to soar 500-feet taller than CitiGroup;s iconic One Court Square, which sits just across the street and tops out at 658-feet and features 50 stories, a spokesperson for Xu said.
Closer to 300 ft higher, not 500 ft...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 11:51 AM

Does anyone know of any good webcames facing east from Manhattan? I'm looking for something that has a wide angle view of LIC so I can watch these developments.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 4:41 PM
New Yorker for life

Looks like this one will have 80 floors...

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/JB...allbin=4005166

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 8:15 PM
Bostonian

Y'all might be interested to know that the FAA has this one at 984'- a supertall, at least by metric standards!

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...desc&pageNum=1

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 9:45 PM
New Yorker for life

Interesting. If I'm reading correctly, the crane itself will get as high as 1,119 ft. Work is to begin in July.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...85090436&row=5

Window cleaning equipment at 994 ft.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...87335906&row=3

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 11:56 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex11 View Post
Does anyone know of any good webcames facing east from Manhattan? I'm looking for something that has a wide angle view of LIC so I can watch these developments.
This one usually faces East towards LIC. Right now its facing West, but whenever it rotates, LIC should be visible.

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/...triver_skyline

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 11:55 AM
don't *meddle*...

Nice, a supertall for LIC!

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 2:16 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

It'll be neat to watch this rise along with 9 Dekalb. This having a due date of 2019.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 5:40 PM
New Yorker for life

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...ot-tower.html#

1,000-Foot Skyscrapers Are the Newest Status Symbol for NYC Boroughs

By Jen Kirby
April 29, 2016

Quote:
City View will be Queen's tallest building by more than 300 feet. It's stealing the title from its almost-neighbor the CitiGroup building, which, at 658 feet, is basically demoted to the JV squad of New York City skyscrapers. The City View proposals are not completely finalized yet, but developers are planning a mix of residential units (about 774 apartments) and commercial space on the ground floor. Construction is slated to begin in 2017, with the completed tower looming over the 7 train sometime in 2019. Your move, Staten Island.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 7:43 PM
New Yorker for life

Latest filings...

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01

Quote:
04/29/2016

HEREWITH FILING FOR THE INSTALLATION OF A PRESSURIZED STANDPIPE ALARM SYSTEM IN ACCORDANCE WITH LOCAL LAW 64/2009 AS PER PLANS FILED HEREWITH. ALL WORK IN CONJUNCTION WITH NEW BUILDING APPLICATION #420655954.

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01

Quote:
04/29/2016

INSTALLATION OF AUTOMATIC SMOKE/HEAT DETECTION AND SPRINKLER FIRE ALARM SYSTEM FILED IN CONJUNCTION WITH NEW BUILDING APPLICATION #420655954.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 7:03 PM
New Yorker for life

A good walk through of LIC and the development taking place...

http://ny.curbed.com/2016/5/5/115948...evelopment-nyc

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 8:41 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...ng-island-city

Queens' tallest tower proposed for busy Long Island City
Rezoning spurs a building boom in an industrial neighborhood

By Tom Acitelli
May 25, 2016

Quote:
In early April, Queens-based United Construction and Development requested permission from the Federal Aviation Administration to build a 984-foot, 79-story tower on nine parcels centered on 23-15 44th Drive in Long Island City, adjacent to the City University of New York’s law school. The building, dubbed City View Tower, would be the tallest in the borough. By a lot.

If approved by the FAA and the Buildings Department, City View Tower would be more than 300 feet taller than the current record holder, a 50-story tower at One Court Square built in 1990, which sits with its 15-story annex (built in 2007) just across 44th Drive. Originally built and occupied by what is now Citigroup, it was LIC’s lone tower into the 21st century. Real estate investment firm Savanna bought One Court Square in 2014 and last year briefly considered converting the taller building into residences.

At least four residential buildings are either proposed or underway near City View Tower, which itself would be a residential project. The 16-story United Nations Federal Credit Union headquarters at Court Square Place opened in 2006, replacing a two-story warehouse. It was the first Long Island City commercial building constructed without an anchor tenant (the credit union took only six floors). More low-rise buildings are coming down as the neighborhood transitions from its manufacturing and industrial past to a mixed-use future.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2016, 3:17 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Segregation is occurring. Site Prep essentially.

Credit: JC_Heights

Old Posted Jun 19, 2016, 8:53 PM

This is so cool. If there are 1,000 footers in these areas, makes me wonder how far out we will start seeing 500 footers.

Exciting to watch Manhattan, but really rewarding to see what is happening in these outer areas.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2016, 10:02 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenratboy View Post

Exciting to watch Manhattan, but really rewarding to see what is happening in these outer areas.
I agree. I think it's even better to see developments in the outer boroughs. I'd rather see more out there than in Manhattan. Its breathing new life and density to neighborhoods like LIC that really wasn't that spectacular to begin with. While I love me some Manhattan developments, I kinda think its saturated for now with plenty of developments, and would like to see a bulk of the new skyscrapers and even super talls rise in Queens/Brooklyn. Its shifts the power balance a little more, creates some nice density along the river, and aesthetically, only aids Manhattan as it gives the feeling of a continuous highrise/skyscraper city on both flanks of the river.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 4:59 AM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
^^^ Definitely agreed. Its great to see NYC emerging as a cluster of 5 supertall skylines (Downtown, Midtown/Hudson Yards, Brooklyn, LIC, JC).. hopefully someday I'll be able to add Flushing and Newark to that list

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post
^^^ Definitely agreed. Its great to see NYC emerging as a cluster of 5 supertall skylines (Downtown, Midtown/Hudson Yards, Brooklyn, LIC, JC).. hopefully someday I'll be able to add Flushing and Newark to that list
Flushing will never have a real skyline because of JFK. Same with Newark, but because of Newark.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture