HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-chop View Post
I don't care how old you are; assuming drinking is allowed, putt-putt is a sport for all ages.

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 3:23 AM
-

Is it sad that I am so excited about putt putt? lol

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 5:18 AM
TL;DR

Let's hope. That's a prime spot for some high-end retail.

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 6:34 AM

Looks like the redevelopment of the office building on Elk Place is moving forward. Good to see. I also absolutely hope the Sanlin building finds a good buyer. So much potential at that location.

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 1:24 PM

Ducktours!

Red Meg strikes again!!

http://4wwl.mlnwap.com/article.html#...ec8260c190f136

I've been on ducktours in Philadelphia and Boston and they're absolutely wonderful. Tourists go ape-sh*t over them! They show the city from the streets and by water, and give tourists sites they wouldn't otherwise get to see. Plus, we have the local connection of the WWII Museum (Duck boats were used as WWIi landing craft). And, they're cleaner and more humane than horse carriages. Pray New Orleans gets these and Red Meg is defeated on this one.

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
Red Meg strikes again!!

I've been on ducktours in Philadelphia and Boston and they're absolutely wonderful. Tourists go ape-sh*t over them! They show the city from the streets and by water, and give tourists sites they wouldn't otherwise get to see. Plus, we have the local connection of the WWII Museum (Duck boats were used as WWIi landing craft). And, they're cleaner and more humane than horse carriages. Pray New Orleans gets these and Red Meg is defeated on this one.
Will these be going into the river too? It says "toulouse street loading docks", but it doesn't mention anything about the boats actually going into the river.

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 2:19 PM

The miniature golf courses are going to be a nice addition to City Park. That is a fun, family friendly, affordable activity.

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
Will these be going into the river too? It says "toulouse street loading docks", but it doesn't mention anything about the boats actually going into the river.
As awesome as that would be, I don't think so. I think they'll just be lining up, boarding, and maybe being stored there.

UPDATE:
Quote:
The duck tours would start at the Toulouse Street wharf on the Mississippi River, take North Peters Street to Canal Street to City Park Avenue, jump on Interstate 10, and exit on Bonnabel Boulevard to access to boat launch on Lake Pontchartrain.
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s..._river_default

Last edited by Blitzen; May 22, 2013 at 4:13 PM.

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 4:50 PM
-

Quote:
As awesome as that would be, I don't think so. I think they'll just be lining up, boarding, and maybe being stored there.

UPDATE:

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s..._river_default
Ok I dont know how well these will work in the city but that should be up to the investor to find out. Can someone tell me what ballot Meg Lousteau was on because I sure as hell dont remember voting her dictator of New Orleans?

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Red Meg strikes again!!

Yeah, they aren't going in the river. Too fast of a current for those little things and the problem with fighting the fast moving downriver cargo ships.... The Boston River is slower and doesn't have ocean going vessles in the area they operate.

Haha, I love that you call her Red Meg...she's umm... "unique" put politely.

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 5:39 PM
-

City of New Orleans and Canal Street Development Corporation to announce renovation of Piazza d'Italia

MAY 21, 2013
NEW ORLEANS, LA – Tomorrow, Mayor Mitch Landrieu and the Canal Street Development Corporation will announce the first phase of major renovations to the Piazza d’Italia in the Central Business District. The Piazza d’Italia Capital Improvements Project will consist of a series of enhancements that will bring the Piazza back to its highest level of quality, increase pedestrian traffic and visitation, and allow for an active and vibrant program of events.

Designed by renowned architect Charles Moore, the Piazza was completed in 1978 and stands as a monument to the Italian-American community and their contribution to the city of New Orleans.

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 7:20 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
City of New Orleans and Canal Street Development Corporation to announce renovation of Piazza d'Italia

MAY 21, 2013
NEW ORLEANS, LA – Tomorrow, Mayor Mitch Landrieu and the Canal Street Development Corporation will announce the first phase of major renovations to the Piazza d’Italia in the Central Business District. The Piazza d’Italia Capital Improvements Project will consist of a series of enhancements that will bring the Piazza back to its highest level of quality, increase pedestrian traffic and visitation, and allow for an active and vibrant program of events.

Designed by renowned architect Charles Moore, the Piazza was completed in 1978 and stands as a monument to the Italian-American community and their contribution to the city of New Orleans.
I hope they do a better job of making it look like an actual Italian plaza.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 7:34 PM
TL;DR

LOL the Piazza d'Italia is the ultimate in ironic postmodernism. There aren't any design changes here anyway, just the addition of bathrooms in the clocktower and repaving/landscaping.

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 8:05 PM
-

I love the Piazza it just needs some TLC and it will be more useful then.

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 9:37 PM

Quote:

MAY 21, 2013

I had never even heard of this little plaza. Looks like an interesting little place...would be cool to make better use of it.

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 9:50 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
I had never even heard of this little plaza. Looks like an interesting little place...would be cool to make better use of it.
And thats the whole premise of this renovation is to allow people to make better use of the space which is quite beautiful.

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 12:51 PM

I knew as it got closer for the HH group to release info on The RiverWalk things would leak out. I got word that Forever 21 is going into Gaps old location with additional footage, Samsonite, CROCS is returning, Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic,Levis, Sephora,
Nine West, Nike, Puma, and Guess. I'll find out more on Friday. With Raising Canes etc in the food court and that amazing Brazilian Steak house! It's going to be great not having to give Lakeside Mall any of my money. Retail will shift to Orleans parish!

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 2:22 PM

Quote:
And thats the whole premise of this renovation is to allow people to make better use of the space which is quite beautiful.
It would be great if the city finally developed the parking lots they own surrounding the Plaza, to complete the architect's vision of the plaza being a 'hidden' Roman plaza, sandwiched between buildings. The lot on the lake side of the plaza would be a great place for a relocated civil district court, moving it much closer to the federal and appellate court houses, but I understand that may be an unpopular choice for the attorneys who want to be walking distance to the court but also need the low rents offered by office buildings on the other end of downtown.

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 3:56 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by polemic View Post
It would be great if the city finally developed the parking lots they own surrounding the Plaza, to complete the architect's vision of the plaza being a 'hidden' Roman plaza, sandwiched between buildings. The lot on the lake side of the plaza would be a great place for a relocated civil district court, moving it much closer to the federal and appellate court houses, but I understand that may be an unpopular choice for the attorneys who want to be walking distance to the court but also need the low rents offered by office buildings on the other end of downtown.
I never realized the city owned that but I agree hopefully they develop it soon or sell it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations