HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northend Guy View Post
Urban Outfitters tender package & permit drawings are supposed to be issued this week.
What does that mean, exactly? I thought it was a done deal they were going into HSC?

If they ended up here, I think it'd be HUGE for the street. Not because they're such an amazing store (unless you're into drainpipe trousers and knock-off hipster knick-knacks) but because I think it'd change the discussion about Barrington if a major, youth-oriented international retail chain were to set up shop there. Maybe existing building owners (coughGreenLanterncough) would see more tangibly the street's potential and move more quickly to refurbish their buildings, even...

But maybe that's just crazy talk.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 5:39 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
If they ended up here, I think it'd be HUGE for the street.
It would be positive, but on a related note I think the preoccupation with attracting retail has hurt the downtown area in the past. The decline of downtown retail is a symptom of other root problems that can be mitigated or solved by doing things like building a better transit system and adding residential units. A lot of effort has gone into trying to recruit retailers (mostly chains with little attachment to the city) or window dressing (e.g. those penis-shaped poster poles, cheap and easy to implement to make it look like something is being done) but those strategies were ultimately ineffective. Meanwhile there are some homegrown businesses like Freak Lunchbox that have stuck.

At the extreme end, there were a number of US cities that paid millions of dollars in subsidies for big department stores to set up downtown. Eventually the subsidies ended and the businesses collapsed because they did not have a real market to serve. Cities like Toronto and Vancouver on the other hand have big downtown retailers because there are lots of downtown residents and because transit makes those locations central and easy to get to for a large number of people.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 6:50 PM

From the 1592 Barrington Street thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
BIG KUDOS to Frank and Oak if they do make a bet on downtown, especially Barrington. That's great that this Montreal store would look to invest downtown, rather than, as most international retailers have done, set up in the "safety" of these suburban malls or biz parks.
AllNovaScotia is reporting that high-end Montreal clothier Frank & Oak is indeed coming to Barrington Street but will set up shop in another Starfish Properties building, the former Carsand Mosher location at the northeast corner of Barrington and Blowers, most recently occupied by the Summit Shop. (I believe the original tenant in this building was Peoples Jewellers -- or People's Credit Jewellers as it was known at the time. The PCJ monogram is still visible on the sidewalk.)

Given that Urban Outfitters is apparently on track for an opening in the Espace building -- or so ANS continues to insist -- this will nicely bookend this block for developer Reznick and company.

The ANS story quotes a Frank & Oak spokesperson as saying this is a "temporary" location, designed to "immerse the brand" in the community and explore future possible locations.

This may suggest that this is essentially a testing of the market with no long-term commitment. It may also suggest that the C-M building is something of a placeholder pending completion of the Roy.

Whiterock Construction has, the story says, already started renovations in the C-M building.

https://www.frankandoak.com/

Last edited by ns_kid; Nov 22, 2014 at 11:43 AM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 7:34 PM

I can't imagine a retailer using such an expensive downtown location as 'temporary' unless that's code word for if it fails, it's shut. That's the typical retail way of things so it just seems a bit odd to say to me.

But this is a rather good sign for Downtown - confidence of major retailers is building and they are moving into the core. Good on downtown for that!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
I can't imagine a retailer using such an expensive downtown location as 'temporary' unless that's code word for if it fails, it's shut. That's the typical retail way of things so it just seems a bit odd to say to me.
Frank and Oak has a history of doing pop-up shops in various cities, so this seems like a somewhat more permanent version of same.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 8:11 PM

I don't know if anyone else has noticed but Barrington Espace has been divided up into 4 retail spaces, two or more extra entrance ways were added from the street and the space inside seems to be more sectioned off

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Frank and Oak has a history of doing pop-up shops in various cities, so this seems like a somewhat more permanent version of same.
That I didn't know! Interesting!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 3:14 AM
armchairitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokus83 View Post
I don't know if anyone else has noticed but Barrington Espace has been divided up into 4 retail spaces, two or more extra entrance ways were added from the street and the space inside seems to be more sectioned off
There does seem to be a lot of interior work going on but I think the extra enterance a are to give acess to the upper floors. Behind one of them there appears to be stairwells being constrcted.

It might be something else, but they are made of concrete block suggesting a fire seperation

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns_kid View Post
From the 1592 Barrington Street thread:

AllNovaScotia is reporting that high-end Montreal clothier Frank & Oak is indeed coming to Barrington Street but will set up shop in another Southwest Properties building, the former Carsand Mosher location at the northeast corner of Barrington and Blowers, most recently occupied by the Summit Shop. (I believe the original tenant in this building was Peoples Jewellers -- or People's Credit Jewellers as it was known at the time. The PCJ monogram is still visible on the sidewalk.)

Given that Urban Outfitters is apparently on track for an opening in the Espace building -- or so ANS continues to insist -- this will nicely bookend this block for developer Reznick and company.

The ANS story quotes a Frank & Oak spokesperson as saying this is a "temporary" location, designed to "immerse the brand" in the community and explore future possible locations.

This may suggest that this is essentially a testing of the market with no long-term commitment. It may also suggest that the C-M building is something of a placeholder pending completion of the Roy.

Whiterock Construction has, the story says, already started renovations in the C-M building.

https://www.frankandoak.com/
This is exciting, but if they're setting up a "test" shop it's a helluva stupid time to do so.

There is massive construction on the street. It's the middle of winter.

You're going to open up a temporary "tester" shop under these conditions?

Hope they're not setting themselves up to fail...

Old Posted Nov 23, 2014, 12:27 AM

Yeah, the construction is a bit disruptive but this is just down from arguably the strongest block on Barrington (the Loop, Grimsmo, Two Doors Down, etc.), directly across from Attica and around the corner from Biscuit and MEC. Rchmnd, a higher end men's clothing shop on Hollis is pretty isolated and seems to be doing well. In many ways Barrington is more hopeful, more appealing and definitely cooler than Spring Garden.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2014, 2:47 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmillion View Post
Yeah, the construction is a bit disruptive but this is just down from arguably the strongest block on Barrington (the Loop, Grimsmo, Two Doors Down, etc.), directly across from Attica and around the corner from Biscuit and MEC. Rchmnd, a higher end men's clothing shop on Hollis is pretty isolated and seems to be doing well. In many ways Barrington is more hopeful, more appealing and definitely cooler than Spring Garden.
This transition is really interesting and it's not something I would have predicted a few years ago. In the past it seemed like Spring Garden was the more attractive commercial location and that growth happening along Barrington would pretty much be spillover attracted by lower rents. Instead it seems like Barrington has special appeal as a more historic street, and maybe there's an advantage to being a bit closer to the office core.

I suspect that Starfish has played a big role in all this by investing a lot of money in Barrington Street in a concerted way and working to attract new tenants. The same properties seem to perform wildly differently in different hands, and there was (and maybe still is) a lot of potential locked away in heritage buildings with passive owners.

I'm eager to see what happens when all of this plays out and the Roy, NFB, etc. are completed.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2014, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
This transition is really interesting and it's not something I would have predicted a few years ago. In the past it seemed like Spring Garden was the more attractive commercial location and that growth happening along Barrington would pretty much be spillover attracted by lower rents. Instead it seems like Barrington has special appeal as a more historic street, and maybe there's an advantage to being a bit closer to the office core.

I suspect that Starfish has played a big role in all this by investing a lot of money in Barrington Street in a concerted way and working to attract new tenants. The same properties seem to perform wildly differently in different hands, and there was (and maybe still is) a lot of potential locked away in heritage buildings with passive owners.

I'm eager to see what happens when all of this plays out and the Roy, NFB, etc. are completed.
Yes, Starfish deserves a *lot* of credit for all of this.

I think the great work they've done, has allowed us to see, more clearly, the detrimental impact that lazy, deadbeat, owners along Barrington really have had...

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 9:02 PM

I walked by here today and it really looks as though the section of the ground floor closest to Starbucks is preparing for a retail tenant. The "for lease" signs are still up in the other parts but in this section there is floor to ceiling white paper lining the windows and it looks like they've spiffed up the finishes. Hmm... Dare we say the words that rhyme with Rurban Doubtfitters?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 11:13 PM

This may have been mentioned elsewhere, but it appears that a steak and oyster bar is moving into the northern most third of this.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScovaNotian View Post
This may have been mentioned elsewhere, but it appears that a steak and oyster bar is moving into the northern most third of this.
wow!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 12:24 PM
Steven Courchene

quote: ScovaNotian This may have been mentioned elsewhere, but it appears that a steak and oyster bar is moving into the northern most third of this.

question: what part of Barrington street will this be?

Steven Courchene

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencourchene View Post
quote: ScovaNotian This may have been mentioned elsewhere, but it appears that a steak and oyster bar is moving into the northern most third of this.

question: what part of Barrington street will this be?
This link was on the first page of this thread:

http://www.halifax.ca/council/agenda...0413ca1131.pdf

Pages 11 through 13 of the pdf should give you a good idea of the location.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 1:41 PM

A few pics of the steak/oyster restaurant/bar below. The street level area has a nice, casual open feel. There's a centralized bar and some tables near the window that are comfortable to just have a drink and some appetizers if you wish. Upstairs is a more formal restaurant setting, with some attached rooms that can be blocked off for private functions. There is a small, cozy bar in the back and they are currently building a deck at the back of the building for outdoor dining. The price scale is a little on the higher side, but the quality of the food reflects this. However, I only had drinks and appetizers, so I can't comment on the steaks, etc.

IMHO, this has turned into a really nice development. Outside, the preserved facade maintains the historic flavour of the street while inside, the new and the old are nicely combined to give a really good feel. I've experienced settings like this in other cities, but frankly Halifax doesn't have enough of these despite being perfectly positioned for them with what's left of our old building stock. It's nice to finally see the finished state of this site.

Street level bar area:

Upstairs restaurant:

BTW, the restaurant staff encourage patrons to have a look around, so if you are interested in the building it's a good chance to check it out.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2017, 5:04 PM

This has made such a difference for this part of Barrington.

20170106_164805_HDR by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 7, 2017, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
This has made such a difference for this part of Barrington.

20170106_164805_HDR by Jonovision23, on Flickr
Beautiful picture, Jono....love the Christmas card look!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth