HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 7:35 AM

Few pictures from today in extreme haze...

Los Angeles Skyline by Hunter, on Flickr

Wilshire Grand Tower by Hunter, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 7:44 AM

For what it's worth, skydeck gimmicks come in all shapes and sizes globally, including other famous towers/buildings. If anything, this is my favorite glass-bottomed feature yet. Library Tower just skyrocketed up the ranks of city landmarks/attractions. Observation decks are one of the first things I visit in any city so this will be huge city and DTLA.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 3:51 PM

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StethJeff View Post
For what it's worth, skydeck gimmicks come in all shapes and sizes globally, including other famous towers/buildings. If anything, this is my favorite glass-bottomed feature yet. Library Tower just skyrocketed up the ranks of city landmarks/attractions. Observation decks are one of the first things I visit in any city so this will be huge city and DTLA.
Other observation decks can receive over 1 million annual visitors so this could easily skyrocket to the top of DTLA's list of tourist destinations.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 5:21 PM

Arts District developer donates funds to plaza under 6th street Bridge

http://www.ladowntownnews.com/news/a...bab3e2201.html

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 5:51 PM

Thank you for the pics, ConstructDTLA. Metropolis looks ok, but that podium! Ugh. Will it be covered up? Can't quite tell from renderings.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 6:57 PM
life is good

aye did anyone else notice almost all of the 4th/Broadway one story retail/small parking garage is shut down? almost all the retail just closed and the public isn't allowed in the parking garage. shot an hour ago

Video Link

on another note have any new cocktail bars opened downtown recently?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
aye did anyone else notice almost all of the 4th/Broadway one story retail/small parking garage is shut down? almost all the retail just closed and the public isn't allowed in the parking garage. shot an hour ago

Video Link

on another note have any new cocktail bars opened downtown recently?
This could mean that tower is actually happening, which would be phenomenal.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMojo View Post
This could mean that tower is actually happening, which would be phenomenal.
At least the demolition of that existing structure is happening. Who knows about the tower.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
At least the demolition of that existing structure is happening. Who knows about the tower.
Latest info on my chart (personally I don't believe in it) says this month. What would they be demolishing the structure for if not the proposed tower?

2012-2018 Downtown LA Cycle by Hunter, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 9:03 PM

"HED is working on six new residential towers of 35, 40, 46 and 56 stories in DTLA and Century City."

I wonder what the DTLA towers they're working on are?

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/los-angeles/n...medium=Browser

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonLA View Post
Thank you for the pics, ConstructDTLA. Metropolis looks ok, but that podium! Ugh. Will it be covered up? Can't quite tell from renderings.

The podium is only but one of the problems with Metropolis. So far I feel that the facade of the first tower to be very disappointing. The hotel's facade almost looks frenetic. It reminds me of something they would use in a prisoner of war camp--make someone stare at it long enough and they'll either confess or lose their mind. But all joking aside this development, because of its location and big budget, should have been one of Gensler's best. I don't think that it is.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 10:12 PM

The Los Angeles Financial District and South Park as seen from Santee Alley on Sunday afternoon

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 10:54 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Nice shot, and welcome to the forum, BigCityOfDreams.

The 40 and 56 story towers are likely Metropolis, as HED is the Executive Architect on that project (Gensler is the Design Architect). Honestly not sure what the other two are. But aren't the Century City towers 46 stories? So could they be working on those?
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 11:03 PM

Isn't HED involved with Circa?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post

that's your best vid yet, eightball!! And your first scoop in this thread....

I've been waiting for confirmation of changes to that bldg for some time now. Unless all those stores closed within the past few days, I'd have thought hints of the bldg being prepped for demolition first became evident awhile back. if so, no one has said anything about that until now. however, I do notice one store still remains....that panda restaurant.

that intersection desperately needs a new spark added to it, to make up for the still tired, shabby northern portion of broadway & certainly to offset that horrible burned out bldg across the street. If this proj really does break ground in the next few months, & if the apt tower at 4th & hill also breaks ground around the same period, that will be a great shot in the arm for the area of dt between the civic ctr down towards 5th st. Even better, if work also begins on the site of that huge parking lot encircling the title guarantee bldg across from pershing sq, that will be a triple play.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 11:58 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Yes, HED is involved with Circa, though none of those tower heights match up. Unless the 35 story one does.

And it kind of goes without saying, but those are some amazing aerial shots, Hunter!

Looks like Oceanwide Plaza is indeed getting going. Is that rebar I spy in the footprint of the taller tower?
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat View Post
Other observation decks can receive over 1 million annual visitors so this could easily skyrocket to the top of DTLA's list of tourist destinations.
Having lived downtown, I can at least make it interesting for visitors when I'm showing them around town. But let's face it, for the casual tourist, DTLA does not even register. Maybe WDCH does for some, but theses are usually only the most informed tourists and is not representative of the whole. Although the same could just as easily be said for the rest of the city to a large extent, DTLA doesn't really have any must-see attractions for tourists. Disneyland, a few beaches, and most of the nonsense in Hollywood/Westside is the only thing a lot of people care about.

DTLA suddenly matters to a lot of people once there's a big building to get a view, and the slide can only help. For tourists who love to visit cities, like myself and I assume most of the people on this site, it might even become the first attraction on a lot of people's lists.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 2:43 AM

How safe is that glass slide during an earthquake? That alone would make it a negative selling point.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 2:45 AM

^Yes a lot of the things tourists want to see in LA are associated with an image of LA most of us are embarassed by and/or want to change.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations