HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Yeah, I get that.

International trade left to its natural course without tariffs, quotas, or other restrictions.

Regardless, if a foreign company decides to sell steel at a lower price, that's there pejorative. I know we cry "unfair," but if US companies choose not to buy foreign steel, they can always buy US steel and the dumping would slow or reverse. But, there is voracious appetite for lower cost steel at the expense of US steelmaker, yes. However, the choice is with the company buying the steel. They can support US steel manufacturers or not, but again US companies that use steel must survive and be profitable so as I've said earlier no one is forcing US companies CEOs to buy foreign steel, but capitalism and profits can be a beast. Plus, I think it ultimately hurts US downstream companies that rely on it to make other commodities like vehicles, beer kegs (aluminum), and other U.S. industries that heavily use steel and aluminum.

Maybe if there's an economist on this board, s/he can chime in.
Not an economist, but a finance major before going to law school. This is mainly about China. The Chinese companies are not making a business decision to sell for less. Manufacturing is at a pace that exceeds demand for product. They are selling at a loss in some cases, but being propped up by the government. Google what the WTO found with respect to Chinese solar panels. The same thing is going on with steel/aluminum. Transshipment though other countries from China means the numbers are worse than they at first appear.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 12:32 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Not an economist, but a finance major before going to law school. This is mainly about China. The Chinese companies are not making a business decision to sell for less. Manufacturing is at a pace that exceeds demand for product. They are selling at a loss in some cases, but being propped up by the government. Google what the WTO found with respect to Chinese solar panels. The same thing is going on with steel/aluminum. Transshipment though other countries from China means the numbers are worse than they at first appear.
I don’t disagree. Their tactics are well-known. The problem is our appetite for their cheap steel. The question is whether this political move really has any real net positive (or negative)benefits to the economy, or just the steel makers.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 6:48 PM
Philly Pholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
I believe that 3001 JFK is the site controlled by Amtrak, who last year requested proposals to help find a developer, then the developer would-------anyways, it didn't strike me that there is a mad dash to get this built. It would be built over active tracks.
It is the key connection between what will be Schuylkill Yards and the 30th Street Station District. In the back of my mind I'm thinking of a particular company. Iconic with lots of room to grow. In both directions. Sort of a Transbay Terminal complex extending to Arch Street.

Last edited by SEFTA; Mar 10, 2018 at 9:05 PM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 8:14 PM
Philly Rising Up!

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20180314.html

This looks like the cookie cutter reporting from the other cities that were visited.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 8:33 PM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20180314.html

This looks like the cookie cutter reporting from the other cities that were visited.
So far, so good.
Having Amazon could really improve the skyline.
50,000 Jobs filling 6½ Comcast Center towers is very important for the city and the region in a substantial way!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 11:32 PM

https://www.som.com/projects/philade..._district_plan

some great images in this link, some seem updated at least to me (let the picture play through)

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 11:34 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post

some great images in this link, some seem updated at least to me (let the picture play through)
Nice...I hope Amazon has seen this and knows about it. If I was an Amazon employee looking to transfer or a perspective employee, this would be a factor in applying for a position.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 12:23 AM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Nice...I hope Amazon has seen this and knows about it. If I was an Amazon employee looking to transfer or a perspective employee, this would be a factor in applying for a position.
This does appear to be an updated series of illustrations!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post

This is for the 30 Street District Plan, which is separate from Schuylkill Yards. None of these renderings are new.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
This is for the 30 Street District Plan, which is separate from Schuylkill Yards. None of these renderings are new.
Agreed, the long shot down the River doesn't even have CHOP's Roberts Center in the rendering.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 2:35 PM

6.5 Comcast Buildings; hmmm, that would fit pretty much what is planned in Schuylkill Yards; a 1200' and 1050' and others between 500 to 800'. Something to think about; ready made; built in plans

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 5:30 PM

It's confirmed; they've been here. On the extreme DL, apparently.

https://www.phillymag.com/news/2018/...scouts-philly/

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLJD13 View Post

pretty sure I saw their parade of vans at the Ritz the Friday of snomageddon

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLJD13 View Post

They didn't meet with Kenney, is that something to be concerned about? I know reading the tea leafs is a futile exercise, but I can't help it.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
They didn't meet with Kenney, is that something to be concerned about? I know reading the tea leafs is a futile exercise, but I can't help it.

actually I would actually say that may have been a good thing

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 4:20 PM

Some great news has been show in the last month at the Philadelphia Airport; I was unsure exactly if this should go in the Philadelphia Metro Section or this one however I placed it there and here because this can shed some light on Amazon being in Philadelphia.

The City of Philadelphia buys the Henderson Tract near the Philadelphia International Airport just south of Cargo City. The Henderson Tract is in Tinicum Township, Delaware County. The goals of the Philadelphia International Airport is to turn this into a Freight Distribution Center. Amazon and FedEx were in attendance.

If Amazon should choose to; they could not only build a 2nd headquarters here but a Distribution Center for International Air Transport; I'm not should any city an give a project the size of Schuylkill Yards to Amazon along with the possibility of a Distribution Center capable of International range.

While this affects the Schuylkill Yards project it may also affect the possibility of the Philadelphia Airport Expansion Project due to the volume the airport handles. At present the 2 largest runways are to close; this causes delays in take offs and landings. The airport already handles UPS and originally UPS was originally slated for Henderson Tract; however word has it that UPS isn't slated to move there now; so the next question is who will? Also, if Amazon or FedEx or both move to the Henderson Tract; then how much more will congestion be added to the International Airport thus requiring the Expansion Project to go forward in the coming years.

https://www.bisnow.com/philadelphia/...ng-cargo-84931

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIII View Post
Some great news has been show in the last month at the Philadelphia Airport; I was unsure exactly if this should go in the Philadelphia Metro Section or this one however I placed it there and here because this can shed some light on Amazon being in Philadelphia.

The City of Philadelphia buys the Henderson Tract near the Philadelphia International Airport just south of Cargo City. The Henderson Tract is in Tinicum Township, Delaware County. The goals of the Philadelphia International Airport is to turn this into a Freight Distribution Center. Amazon and FedEx were in attendance.

If Amazon should choose to; they could not only build a 2nd headquarters here but a Distribution Center for International Air Transport; I'm not should any city an give a project the size of Schuylkill Yards to Amazon along with the possibility of a Distribution Center capable of International range.

While this affects the Schuylkill Yards project it may also affect the possibility of the Philadelphia Airport Expansion Project due to the volume the airport handles. At present the 2 largest runways are to close; this causes delays in take offs and landings. The airport already handles UPS and originally UPS was originally slated for Henderson Tract; however word has it that UPS isn't slated to move there now; so the next question is who will? Also, if Amazon or FedEx or both move to the Henderson Tract; then how much more will congestion be added to the International Airport thus requiring the Expansion Project to go forward in the coming years.

https://www.bisnow.com/philadelphia/...ng-cargo-84931
This is a good development, but I feel like it's just an initial step of many more before anything concrete develops.

Amazon is building a Memphis/Louisville sized hub for their air operations in Cincinnati. Chances are any other operation would be a much smaller focus type city.

The runway expansion isn't happening short term (10 years). First, it's going to take 100s of daily movements to bring PHL back up to where it was 10 years ago when the runway was first proposed. Second, freight operations typically operate at odd times and not during busy periods of passenger traffic. UPS is expected to expand it's facility and operations. If they plan to make that investment they must have some type of agreement with the airport that it is not going to be bulldozed in a few years for a runway.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 3:37 PM

Anybody know if Bezos is big on squash?

https://www.ussquash.com/wp-content/...ORT-JULY17.pdf

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 3:56 PM

^ I wonder whether the Racquet Club has any involvement with that?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 3:39 PM

The Wall Street Journal just posted an interesting article reporting intelligence gathered from recent Amazon site visits to some of the 20 HQ2 finalists. Maybe it's because I'm biased, but I read this as good news for Philly's--and especially SY's--chances:

Rules of Engagement: How Cities Are Courting Amazon’s New Headquarters

For example:

Quote:
So many cities are nixing the fancy hotels, dinners at the governor’s mansion, private planes and small gifts—all typical core aspects of a traditional site visit, according to people familiar with the matter. “We were concerned that if we went over the top, it would push them away,” said a person involved in one site visit.

Instead, they are attempting to be creative by bringing in university officials, younger people and professionals who can speak to talent and growth in the area. Officials are adding visits to trendier neighborhoods to highlight the draw for younger employees. And cities have even ferried Amazon executives around by bicycle and boat as modes of transportation.
Quote:
A few of Amazon’s desires are crystallizing, some of the people said. The company appears to be leaning toward a more urban site, despite requesting proposals that included sites in the suburbs. It also wants to come to a city prepared to handle its growth and the influx of high-paid employees.
Quote:
“They believe there is no American city that can provide for all their needs,” said the person involved in a site visit. Another person said the company expects to have to compromise no matter which location it selects. Amazon has also placed particular emphasis on the tech talent pipeline: How much already exists locally, and how much Amazon can attract from around North America and the rest of the world.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals