HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 15, 2005, 6:12 PM
mmmmmm.........pie

Is there any new news about the Nicollet. Here is the quote from the condo section in the downtown journal, "October passed without groundbreaking, delays provoking chatter"

However the Nicollet is hosting a event with several restaurants.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2005, 6:38 PM
The True Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd
Are you sure about Target buying units at 1016? I thought Target bought units at 6 Quebec. Also, since when is 4 units sold out of 8 equal to 60%?
I read it a few weeks ago in the StarTribune. They also mentioned them buying units in 6Quebec. As to my "math". I misread the article. I though only 4 units were left. Plus I though that this had 10 units.
As to concerns about the Nicollet. I am not worried about it. The same thing went around with the Carlyle. The groundbreaking there got set back a few times.
I am really starting to wonder if anything will EVER happen with the Ivy.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2005, 6:44 PM
mmmmmm.........pie

^Didn't starwood hotels agree to put a W hotel in IVY??

Old Posted Nov 15, 2005, 7:03 PM
The True Avatar

Yes. But the agreement is no good without the building.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2005, 7:23 PM

I talked with some people involved with the Ivy development yesterday. They are just as frustrated as we all are. It sounds like it's just the way-insiders getting all the ducks in a row and making sure everything is just right before the construction starts.
It sounds like they keep saying they'll start soon and one thing pops up to delay it a week or two, but the intent is still there to get it done this millenium.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2005, 9:52 PM
The True Avatar

"one thing pops up to delay it a week or two"
That means they overlooked quite a few things.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2005, 11:04 PM

Who knows, I say we send over a singing telegram and have them sing koombaya to see if we can't get this thing going.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2005, 3:05 AM
. . . . . . .

Lots of action around Franklin Avenue and 35W these days...

1. Looks like site prep has commenced on the Franklin-Portland Gateway Phase II.

2. The old Franklin Street Bakery building (next to Electric Fetus) is being demolished. Anybody know what's going up?

3. A neat 1904 building at 628 E. Franklin that's been boarded up since I moved here is finally having some work done on it.

All pretty minor projects, I know, but its nice to see the continued development of this area.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2005, 4:32 AM

A few tidbits...

1. That funky looking yellow box facing the river on the Guthrie theater is now in place... it's huge.

2. You can finally notice some of the progress on the future Chambers Hotel. The back wall structure beams, connecting the two buildings are now in place. They have put in a number of windows as well, and it's starting to shape up.

3. The Mexican Restaurant (I don't recall the name) on the Mall in the Target space was having a dinner this evening for it's employees and the big shots, but you can see inside now. It apprears more formal than what I had in mind, but looks very impressive.

Last edited by Big J; Nov 18, 2005 at 5:21 AM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2005, 4:42 AM
. . . . . . .

I know this was already posted in the Midwest subforum, but I think it belongs here too.

STAR TRIBUNE

Editorial: Fear of heights hurts Minneapolis
Developers, neighbors need clarity on taller buildings.

November 17, 2005

For Minneapolis to continue its generally forward momentum and its progressive political traditions, residents must get over their phobia about tall buildings.

We're not talking about downtown, where neighbors have accepted new residential towers in the 20- to 50-story range. Neither are we talking about quiet, single-family neighborhoods, where zoning prohibits high buildings, and rightly so. We're talking about busy commercial/transit corridors -- along Lake Street, the Midtown Greenway or the Hiawatha line, for example -- where there's growing demand for mixed-use condo buildings of a medium height -- five to 15 stories -- but where neighbors and some city politicians are putting up stiff resistance.

That's self-destructive. If Minneapolis truly values progressive politics, if it really wants a government that looks after parks, lakes, schools, public safety and people in need, then willing taxpayers will be required -- and the more the better. The city's greatest advantage right now is that throngs of young professionals and aging empty-nesters want the urban lifestyle that Minneapolis provides. But too many are getting the cold shoulder from locals who sing the old NIMBY tune: not in my back yard.

Two complaints stand out. One is an aesthetic aversion to height, part of the prairie DNA, perhaps. There's a blind spot to the notion that a taller, slender building can have less visual impact than one that's shorter and more massive, with less room for green space.

Second, there's a presumption that taller buildings generate more traffic. That's not necessarily so along transit corridors. Indeed, the best way to improve Minneapolis is to add people in places where they won't need to drive for every trip. Only by encouraging mixed-use density along corridors will the city lessen its dependence on the auto, save energy, improve public safety by putting more eyes on the street, and finally get the transit it needs so badly.

In short, NIMBYs are choking off the city's future vitality. Yes, height is significant in judging a building. Taller buildings aren't appropriate everywhere, even along corridors. But most often height is less important than how a building touches the ground. How does it engage the neighborhood at sidewalk level? Is it nicely landscaped? Does it encourage walking and transit use? Does it enhance neighborhood business? If developers are allowed a few extra floors (views sell), then they'll be more willing to provide sidewalk-level amenities that benefit an entire neighborhood -- a trade-off sometimes called social bonus zoning.

"That's what we [developers] would love to do, as long as we got a little extra height to help us do it well," said Michael Lander, whose excellent mid-rise project on Lake Street next to the taller Calhoun Beach Club may be turned down by City Council as early as today.

Overall, the city's policies are sound; they encourage density along corridors. But neighbors and developers need clarity and flexibility on height, and the city needs greater assurance that projects will add beauty and vitality where it counts most -- at street level.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2005, 2:31 PM

Excellent article. Maybe Rybak can get Target to build a couple 15 story buildings in Uptown.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2005, 5:53 PM

^One of the best anti-NIMBY essays ever written. As someone who leans over backward to understand NIMBYs, and even agrees with them at times, this clarifies what the real issues are and what is simply mindless fear. I'd like to see this posted in the City Discussions forum.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2005, 7:24 PM

Nothing big, but a while back I wrote to RSP about whether or not they had designs or a release date set on when they'd be available for the Whole Foods development. They basically just said what I figured they would; that they are at the will of Milliken. It was worth a shot though. They said I could try contacting Milliken, but I'm guessing that'd be a worthless endeavor.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2005, 7:48 PM
grizzled

For anyone near the Guthrie, they are testing the LED Mast marquee for the first time. It's not very exciting right now, it just reads "Test Test".

Last edited by altfelix; Nov 18, 2005 at 7:55 PM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2005, 8:27 PM

I've heard that Paul Allen has a financial interest in Milliken, so it seems as though they have deep pockets for financing.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2005, 8:59 PM

construction has started on this project on lyndale:

http://www.leparisienflats.com/index.html

The project and the website seem disorganized to me, and a bit cheesy. Isn't It supposed to be spelled Parisian, not parisien? I could be wrong

Old Posted Nov 18, 2005, 9:03 PM

I think the only thing thats going where the franklin street bakery was is a wendy's. hehe

Old Posted Nov 18, 2005, 9:03 PM
The True Avatar

Ewww. That thing is cheesy.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2005, 9:31 PM

Can you say a french faux pas! YUCK! Already I can hardly wait for it to be demolished. Whoever designed this thing should be given an award for architectural disaster of the year. The windows make the hair on my neck stand up. It's like a designer imposter perfume.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2005, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd
I've heard that Paul Allen has a financial interest in Milliken, so it seems as though they have deep pockets for financing.
I really think that development is going to be a great chance to do something spectacular and let RSP really shine. The budget has got to be rather large.

I don't even want to talk about that Parisien project. I could see it fall apart in a couple of years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations