HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 11:07 AM
sinjin

It's always down as a arrive home

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 11:08 AM

I'm so glad that I actually brought up the problem of skybars - I hope some SSC members will actually take it seriously, but considering that the majority tend to be the ones the start up the problem threads and sub-forums is there much hope? For example why exactly is there an entire sub-section dedicated to military affairs in the UK & Ireland sub-forum - what purpose is there for that - its not like a rate-a-skyscraper or transport sub-section which respectively rate and rank archtectural creations and transport projects that are critical for major developments including skyscrapers? Where does talking about new fighter jets come into the equation?

Yet why should it be restricted to registrations? The main point shouldn't be restricting people from joining up, but controlling the ridiculously high post counts of some people - a restriction of say 10posts a day I believe would be beneficial for the site. That way people have to choose between either posting one word posts or actually providing information on a new project or analysis of the renders, etc...

I'd then scrap the skybars, reduce the number of sub-sections to ensure people are focused onto threads rather than anorexic sub-sections. With the attention taken away from the defunct skybars which were out of control, attention can be directed towards actual skyscraper and urban issue threads to weed out posts that are rubbish (for instance one-word replies), cutting down the wastage and ensuring the quality is higher. Lastly, I'd add in better linking to archived threads and ensure that they correspond to the same on-going project.

Will people leave? Yeah, I think that skyscrapercity won't be as busy overall, but the quality and diversity would be better and I think that the likes of Gothic should be boasting about quality and not quantity.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 11:24 AM

I agree Nick. There seem to be some nonsensical sub forums like the military one you mention...what on earth has that got to do with skyscapers and architecture? If you want to talk about tanks and armies then there must be numerous military forums you could sigh up to. I also agree with the maximum post count per day, it will make people be more thoughtful about what they write and in what threads. The number of times you go into the projects and construction and see all the threads spammed with "great updates man", "very good progress!!!!"....and so on drives me mad. There is one particular poster who does this regularly in the international forums, he has 1000's of posts yet contributes nothing other than one word or short sentence replies to threads. I dare say his only contribution to SCC is to annoy the hell out of everyone with his tediously repetitive drivel.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 11:26 AM
Lovable dictator

Are you referring to Shafick?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 12:14 PM

He was bad, especially in threads where literally it would be one word "London" and then a complimentary:

I think individuals like Lostboy are also killing to forum - he has to my knowledge never actually posted a post related architecture....it is always about the government and ID cards; the only reason posters like him exist is because they share the same obscure views of Gothic and other mods which somehow solidifies their stance despite the fact that they cripple the rest of the forums.

I'd bet that we wouldn't be having any of these problems if the skybars didn't exist, and that there were restrictions on posting, but in the end the result at SSC is that egos need to be satisfied ahead of rational debate and the fluid diffusion of information on skyscrapers and urban projects.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 12:59 PM
FutureTimeline.net

To be fair Nick, you hardly ever post in the Projects and Construction forum. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like you're only ever interested in transport/infrastructure stuff.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 1:35 PM
Cof

I've got brain so I use www.skyscraperlife.com

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 1:44 PM
FutureTimeline.net

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by éemreé
I've got brain so I use www.skyscraperlife.com
Great construction updates there -

(WARNING: Do not click this is if viewing from your office )

http://www.skyscraperlife.com/showthread.php?t=285

Last edited by wjfox2004; Oct 13, 2006 at 1:57 PM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 1:53 PM
Cof

^Yeah man! You got a nice site and nice taste...and of course - you're so successful at changing URLs...Idiot

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 1:58 PM
FutureTimeline.net

I've edited my post above with a warning

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox2004
To be fair Nick, you hardly ever post in the Projects and Construction forum. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like you're only ever interested in transport/infrastructure stuff.
And? It proves my point - I read most of the threads and only contribute when there is a requirement to do so. I think the last points I made over the last few weeks were about the redevelopment of Battersea Power Station, its importance to London and how Hwang was in for the long-run - in one post I'd remind you. Other previous posts I can think of were regarding a pole driver at Aldgate Union, and a few construction pcture updates taken by myself of some of the towers u/c in London.

Fact: I contribute when I believe there is a need to, not just to fill up a page.

And its the same for transport and infrastructure projects - I simply have something to offer. My last post was the creation of the thread regarding the re-opening of disused rail lines which is important to urban development in and around London (ie more transport links = greater ability for high-rise development, eg Dalston Junction > Dalston Towers) and elsewhere in the country where high-rise development is underpinned by transport masterplanning. Without Crossrail, Canary Wharf won't get any more significant quantity of towers in the long-term as there simply won't be the transport capacity to move people around.

Edit + In addition
The only exception/compromise I'd make is a news thread that has posts over a month old deleted either by the mod or automatically.

Last edited by nito; Oct 13, 2006 at 2:37 PM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 3:00 PM
metro

i must admit to only looking at the shard thread, columbus, london updates etc etc because the rest of the site bores me shitless. though i may log in to the brighton thread because of the tower/observation post whatever that may go up.

i still dont have a problem with the skybar the defence and sports subsection should go though.

Last edited by marty sf; Oct 13, 2006 at 3:11 PM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 5:27 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_taylor
a restriction of say 10posts a day I believe would be beneficial for the site.
I think everyone agrees SSC needs a massive cleanup but this is a terrible idea, sorry. This would only piss people off who actually post good stuff. For example if I take updates of 50 towers in one day why should I have to wait a week to post all the pictures up in their proper threads. Also it would just make people register more than one account to get around this.
Better have registration restrictions so the number of members doesn't grow exponentially. Also I'd be in favour of putting a lower limit on the size of posts. So say, no posts under 100 characters allowed unless it includes a picture.

What we want is not to be fair to everyone, but to make it easier for those that actually do contribute.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 9:14 PM

^^ Well surely that would work in your favour as well - how many times do you see the Dubai threads cluttered up by wasteful points when there are so many projects that its important to keep the news and updates all together without having to sift through page upon page of one word replies or sentences that bring no solid contribution.

And in the unlikely event of you having 50 updates - create an update thread that specalises in your area of constant updates. An addition here would be to link your image to the appropiate thread by hyperlink.

And if people did register more accounts, more the pity them - they would be wasting more time making it far less worth while, while at the same time these individuals would be easily noticed and their address banned. Simple as that.

And what is the point of a limit per post - what about news articles on projects? Quite simpy the way around it is to restrict posts - to ensure people condense down what they are saying, but I doubt any of this will actually happen and in 6months time well be right back here because nothing would have been done. The thing is, the longer nothing goes on, the more frequent the site will capitulate under the pressure - afterall if the site keeps collapsing at this rate, none of the actual (people like larven, Britannia - who used to be amongst the two key contributors to all UK skyscraper matters have almost vanished because the site is either down or taken over by idiots talking about spiders and the like) that contribute seriously will bother and the site will just be a wasteground.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 9:49 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

I doubt one of these guys who say "great updates" everyday to every project will be bothered finding different news articles to all the towers. News articles can be useful anyway.

And btw I was actually referring to dubai about the 50 updates. If I was one of the guys who has to walk around in 50 degree heat taking pictures I'd be well pissed off if I had to wait a week to post all the pictures. Right now SSC has the biggest and best collection of info on dubai projects, there's a thread for every tower and it's taken ages to gather all the renders, news articles, etc. Why should we have to sacrifice that for a few trolls?

If you put a lower limit on posts then there'd be far less wasteful posts because unless you're USS Yankee most will be too lazy to come up with 20 words for each post.

Also if I had just found out about a new WTB, I can guarantee I'd make a new account just to post that. This system would just piss off the people who value the forum the most. If I'm a mod how can I tell someone to shut the hell up if I've reached my limit?

BTW, a major problem with the servers was the operating system, they've fixed that now so it's running quickly. Also they're stress testing the server so that means all the features are turned on to see how much it can take. Also the 3rd server isn't up yet.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2006, 10:17 AM

Fine then, but in a few months (possibly weeks), we'll be right back to where we are because so much of the forum is taken up by the skybars and other trash.

And thats a good thing - most people who tend to contibute tend to write a bit more than 20 words or posts news articles or pictures. I go on some threads and out of 20 posts, only one actually hints at any development update: that is a highly inefficient way to portray information, especially when there are meant to be individuals from the property sector looking around the site from time to time and whom might actually contribute.

Why tell them to shut-up? Brig them - save bandwith that way.

And? Just like roads, you build a new road and within a few years it will be full again....yet common sense is that if you cut out a lot of un-needed journies you create extra capacity without having to take the site down to physically add it yourself! Its common sense and any business would have made such cuttings long ago (and SSC is a revenue earner from the adverts)....

And remember, Dubai is one city, there are countless hundreds on SSC, so I don't believe that we should sacrafice it just to get a small fix.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2006, 1:09 PM

Cool, they brought search back.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2006, 2:32 PM
metro

nick post your views on the forum issues at SSC and perhaps somebody will take notice.

you do seem know alot about the latest skybar threads though considering you think the place is crap. i get the feeling you may have logged in on some of the threads.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2006, 10:40 AM

You don't have to actually go into the threads to see that they are trash.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2006, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dear Leader
Are you referring to Shafick?
Nope....but here are some more absolutely useless replies written in the last few days from this forumer who's post count is approaching 10,000 now.

- Thanks for pics, this project is indeed really can't wait.

- Wow!!! Shanghai looks so futuristic.

- Nice updates, thanks, I love its design.

- Impressive, very outstanding.

- simply nice!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe