HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

St. Regis Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 7:11 PM

Hope he/she makes good use of that view - it won't last long.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 3:02 PM

Beautiful (temporary) view. But it does highlight the negligible skyline effect that Cirrus and Cascade have from this vantage point. I believe they're both topped out already and if it weren't for the crane in the shot, you'd never see them.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Hope he/she makes good use of that view - it won't last long.
hahah good point.

those apts are still leasing for so much. damn.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 3:51 AM

agreed... although lights on the buildings are still Christmas colors so thinking it was at least several weeks ago

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 6:53 PM
Making Chicago Memorable.

Agreed 100%. Blair Kamin didn't even address the mechanical floors on the south side of the building in his review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankLloydWrong View Post
Nah man, it doesn't work like that. He gets to feel his way about it. As do you, as do I.

One day this building will fade into the built environment, (probably not in a, many-other-supertall-buildings-will-block-it-from-view kind of way, although that would rule), but people will remark on it in the way that any of us remarked on buildings that pre-exist our life times. It will simply be there, such that it's accepted, and probably even beloved. But right now, it's new, and in it's newness comes valid critique.

I also don't like the louvers. They aren't uniform or particularly well considered. They're on the side of the building, that, arguably will get the most visibility, whether that's tourist traffic, actual traffic or Bears game helicopter shots. The north and south sides also have two small louver spots that frankly will never not look like windows that need to be replaced.

Those louvers aren't in any of the renderings which suggests that either the architect didn't want to show them, or more likely, the developer cut corners somewhere and they became necessary, but either way, their existence suggests a failure in the design process at some point along the course of development.

All of the other supertalls in this city integrate their mechanical floors in ways that seem logical and unobtrusive to the building's overall effect. The north side of Regis is clearly the best, and it definitely seems like that was Gang's intent, but unfortunately buildings aren't single sided.

I'm sure one day i'll come to accept the louvers and eventually the building, but I'm not going to make excuses for something that feels like a design failure, either by architect, developer or both. If someone can find an example of a modern supertall that integrates its mechanical floors in such a incongruous way as this, I'd love to see supporting evidence.

Also, preemptively, these louvers aren't a case of form follows function. The building is sculptural in a way that suggests the opposite, which honestly is why the louvres are so upsetting.

Anyway, this my one post for the year. Here's to 100 more supertalls for Chicago.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 11:54 PM

01/23/21

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 12:45 AM
devout Pizzatarian

^ WOW!

Nice work.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 4:11 AM

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 6:08 AM
પટેલ. કે ન

Quote:

]
Nice pic

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 2:42 PM

Quote:
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kv3u4j]

This image is composed a lot like Chicago photographer Angie McMonigal's "Urban Quilt/Patchwork" series, and if anyone (you, she, anyone else) could make one with Vista, Marina City, and another iconic Chicago tower in the shot, I'd be tempted to buy it and frame it. Beautiful job, Harry.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
This image is composed a lot like Chicago photographer Angie McMonigal's "Urban Quilt/Patchwork" series, and if anyone (you, she, anyone else) could make one with Vista, Marina City, and another iconic Chicago tower in the shot, I'd be tempted to buy it and frame it. Beautiful job, Harry.
I hadn't heard of her work, but these are very cool. Link for those curious: https://www.angiemcmonigal.com/site_v2/urban-quilt/

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 3:13 AM

01/23/21

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 10:39 PM

I forgot my password for my old account a while ago but I’ve been lurking for a couple of years now. I saw a photo on Instagram where it seemed like they were adding windows to the mechanical floors on the south side. I wish I knew how to post it here. Here’s the link:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CKjrAC3g...=1pig60h25hjcn

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 11:49 PM

nice catch creeper, i mean Leu..

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLeunamme View Post
I forgot my password for my old account a while ago but I’ve been lurking for a couple of years now. I saw a photo on Instagram where it seemed like they were adding windows to the mechanical floors on the south side. I wish I knew how to post it here. Here’s the link:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CKjrAC3g...=1pig60h25hjcn
hopefully.... could be snow :/

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 1:48 PM

I can't tell what we're looking at there (and I'm not particularly hopeful) but I will say if that is indeed some sort of glass install...

one heck of an epic first post, Leu

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 3:27 PM

..."Mother of god," the bespectacled executive said aloud to the empty room. He struck the phone so hard it almost fell off his mahogany desk. "Winston!" he yelled and his mousy assistant flew to his desk, clenching his fists nervously to his chest.
..."Yes sir?"
..."In all my years of stewardship at Magellan, I've never seen such uniform criticism of my projects. This cannot stand." He clutched an iPad in both hands, the screen shimmering under his iron grip.
..."Sir, they're just nerds on a forum." He flinched as he said it, knowing his boss hated when he was told something plainly obvious.
..."Winston," he said solemnly, the weight of his years pushing him into the leather chair. "Your years betray you. They delight in upbraiding the Thompson Center. No, they will remember this design oversight for the rest of their days."
...He stood up and walked to the window, the grey sky of Chicago draped over his empire. Shimmering towers that he had built rose around him like sentinels of glass and stone, protecting his kingdom.
..."What if we added windows to the louvers?" he asked.
..."We can do that?" Winston couldn't mask his surprise.
..."We can do anything. We're developers."
..."But sir, it would be admitting that the louvers were a design flaw! Not even Mr. Kamin could admit that."
..."Do it quietly," he said, a finger to his lips. "Wait until it snows. No one will notice, and by the time we've covered them, it will be as if we had just awoken from a terrible dream."
...Without another word, Winston turned and left with his orders. The lambent glow from the iPad faded to black, as if it knew its work was complete.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 5:02 PM

^^Brilliant

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 3:04 AM

But wait, what will some people complain about now? Please make sure you check in with them if you know them so they have the emotional support to survive the blow

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 4:24 AM

Where have you been the last 4-5 days? They're over in another post crying about the growing "fultonization" and "faux historic" developments in the West Loop. That board has had their full attention all this week to the point they haven't had time to celebrate or even comment on the recent improvements to the St. Regis. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf612 View Post
But wait, what will some people complain about now? Please make sure you check in with them if you know them so they have the emotional support to survive the blow

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction