HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 8:46 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I've seen a number of buildings getting exterior work done lately around the city. All these 1960s-70s era apartment buildings are getting to that age of needing extensive renos/maintenance (and some are well past it)
Yeah majority are, even parking garages in buildings are being redone. So it took 40-50yrs for those generations of buildings to need to be redone.... I wonder how long today's condos construction will last before they need to be redone? I just can't see today's constructions lasting as long?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 8:57 PM

A lot of buildings around the downtown have changed hands recently from my understanding. For example, Starlight Investments is known to buy up buildings, renovate them, and rent out for much more $$$.

Hamilton's rents have skyrocketed as of late too, which helps with that. Gives landlords the money to actually do the renoes.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 12:15 AM
Forever forward.

Progress on the Olympia upgrades:

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 1:40 PM
Ham-burgher

What a difference!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 2:20 PM

The darker colour spandrel is new, right? Looks much better.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 7:38 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
The darker colour spandrel is new, right? Looks much better.
Yes. And YES!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 11:50 PM

The Olympia has stood the test of time. Kudos to whomever built it 45 years ago!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 2:07 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Even 200 Bay is getting in on the facelift revolution.

Also here are just a couple photos up close on my balcony at The Olympia to see the colour scheme going on. They even redid the entire caulking on the building and the caulking is the same colour as the darker paint they used for the balcony railings, window/door frames. it's quite nice! Before my interior walls of the balcony and ceiling was just the original exposed concrete from day 1 with the ugly brown railing.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 6:44 PM

I keep forgetting to ask. What's going in on Barton between Smith & Oak? I assume it's something to do with the church?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 9:07 PM

King William St is getting a new art display

Anthony Urciuoli | Inthehammer.com | October 16, 2020

A winner has been crowned.

The volunteer citizen jury selected the artist-led, “Team Make” as the winner of the beacon and gate public art project for their submission, WoodGate.

The winning team will receive $115,000 for the design and fabrication of their artwork. Installation is expected to be completed at the entrance of the King William district by the summer of 2021.

“This project will help aid the recovery of the downtown by providing a landmark for the dynamic King William Street district and by allowing us the flexibility to easily open the street to dining and other outdoor programming,” said Kerry Jarvi, Executive Director of the Downtown Hamilton BIA.

Selected from six short-listed proposals, as well as 264 comments received through public consultation, jurors felt the winning art submission “best met the project criteria of artistic excellence, technical feasibility, and appropriateness for Hamilton’s dynamic and evolving King William district”.

According to the official announcement by the City, “jurors also felt that the use of engineered wood and unique design resembling a tall tree trunk embodied a connection to nature, symbolizing evolution and growth and will bring a unique warmth to the street”.

“The goal of this art initiative is to celebrate the evolving character of this area day and night while supporting local business in their efforts as they provide events and on-street dining,” according to the City of Hamilton.

“To encourage residents and visitors to enjoy this area, the project will replace an existing light standard and incorporate a retractable street closure feature or gate to allow for the temporary closure of King William Street to vehicles during events.”

This project is funded in part by the contributions of local developers working in the Downtown Hamilton Community Improvement Area to the Downtown Hamilton Public Art Reserve.

King William Street Art work 2020, on Flickr

https://quickbitenews.com/article/ha...w-art-display/

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
I keep forgetting to ask. What's going in on Barton between Smith & Oak? I assume it's something to do with the church?
this is the latest news from three years ago

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 1:55 AM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 3:28 AM

Ayyyy this is the one I wanted to win! I wonder when it'll be put up

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 4:43 AM

Not sure if this was posted elsewhere, and I don't know where to put it... but the TVO docu-series "The Life-Sized City" aired an episode on Hamilton a couple days ago. You can stream it here if interested:

The Life-Sized City - Hamilton

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 4:02 PM
It's Hammer Time

Thanks for sharing that video. It's a pretty cool documentary.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 5:03 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Not sure if this was posted elsewhere, and I don't know where to put it... but the TVO docu-series "The Life-Sized City" aired an episode on Hamilton a couple days ago. You can stream it here if interested:

The Life-Sized City - Hamilton
That was a great episode! Helped to highlight quite a few things

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 8:20 PM

Life Sized City is awesome and they filmed part of the episode in my neighbourhood last year but I didn't realize it was happening ha.

One idea that I had for the Wellington to Wentworth corridor is the super bloc idea seen in the Barcelona episode (which is one of my favourite cities in the world for a multitude of reasons, one of which is nailing urban planning). If we want to revitalize neighbourhood businesses and community engagement, this is a great way of undertaking that exercise. I didn't know such a thing existed but after seeing the Barcelona episode, it's fueled my desire to some how make this happen in Hamilton, also fuck cars. Go bicycles and pedestrian walk ways.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftbeerdad View Post
Life Sized City is awesome and they filmed part of the episode in my neighbourhood last year but I didn't realize it was happening ha.

One idea that I had for the Wellington to Wentworth corridor is the super bloc idea seen in the Barcelona episode (which is one of my favourite cities in the world for a multitude of reasons, one of which is nailing urban planning). If we want to revitalize neighbourhood businesses and community engagement, this is a great way of undertaking that exercise. I didn't know such a thing existed but after seeing the Barcelona episode, it's fueled my desire to some how make this happen in Hamilton, also fuck cars. Go bicycles and pedestrian walk ways.
My hope is that Centre Mall become this type of super block when redeveloped. Midrise and highrise with smaller streets between and wider street surrounding. It would bring tons of population and money to Barton and Ottawa area. They could easily put in policy to force this and force a certain number of affordable and geared to income units.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 2:09 AM

I liked their inclusion of the Urban Farm. I grew up in the McQuesten area and went to what used to be St. Helen's elementary school right next to the farm (it's now an Aboriginal Health Centre). I often pass by the urban farm on my way back from my Oakville bike ride - partly to check out the farm and also for the nostalgia of when I lived in the area for the first 13 years of my life.

I'm even more annoyed by the highways passing through the downtown after watching this.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 3:14 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
I liked their inclusion of the Urban Farm. I grew up in the McQuesten area and went to what used to be St. Helen's elementary school right next to the farm (it's now an Aboriginal Health Centre). I often pass by the urban farm on my way back from my Oakville bike ride - partly to check out the farm and also for the nostalgia of when I lived in the area for the first 13 years of my life.

I'm even more annoyed by the highways passing through the downtown after watching this.
Would you like to go back to the escarpment lifts? We can all pack in sardine style in the dead of winter

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton