HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 5:13 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Originally it seems like the upper portions probably were exposed brown sandstone (Wallace stone?).

It's interesting how eclectic this building is. Pretty typical for the 1890's. It has a lot of different materials and a lot of ornamentation. There are at least two types of stone, some rusticated and some not, plus terracotta panels, plus brick.

It'll be interesting to see if the storefronts get restored to a uniform appearance.

Hopefully one day the Pacific Building will be restored too. I'm not sure how that works with degraded glazed terracotta panels though. Can the panels be fixed up or do they need to be replaced? Is it still economically feasible to do that?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Originally it seems like the upper portions probably were exposed brown sandstone (Wallace stone?).

It's interesting how eclectic this building is. Pretty typical for the 1890's. It has a lot of different materials and a lot of ornamentation. There are at least two types of stone, some rusticated and some not, plus terracotta panels, plus brick.

It'll be interesting to see if the storefronts get restored to a uniform appearance.

Hopefully one day the Pacific Building will be restored too. I'm not sure how that works with degraded glazed terracotta panels though. Can the panels be fixed up or do they need to be replaced? Is it still economically feasible to do that?
Walked past the Green Lantern today and the restoration looks beautiful. The brick is really coming back to life. What I fear most about the Pacific Building is that the problems go so much deeper than just the crumbing facade. I've explored a bit through that building and it's infested with every bug/rodent under then sun, and just last month someone had scribbled a hand written note saying the basement(where the garbage room is located, and tennant enterance from Granville Street) is flooded with raw sewage, and has been all weekend with no cleanup from the management. It's going to take a lot of money to bring that building back to life.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 4:06 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
just last month someone had scribbled a hand written note saying the basement(where the garbage room is located, and tennant enterance from Granville Street) is flooded with raw sewage, and has been all weekend with no cleanup from the management. It's going to take a lot of money to bring that building back to life.
Sounds like a shitty situation!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 5:41 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

A more detailed picture from Waye Mason's twitter:

Source

Old Posted Sep 23, 2018, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Walked past the Green Lantern today and the restoration looks beautiful. The brick is really coming back to life. What I fear most about the Pacific Building is that the problems go so much deeper than just the crumbing facade. I've explored a bit through that building and it's infested with every bug/rodent under then sun, and just last month someone had scribbled a hand written note saying the basement(where the garbage room is located, and tennant enterance from Granville Street) is flooded with raw sewage, and has been all weekend with no cleanup from the management. It's going to take a lot of money to bring that building back to life.
That doesn't sound good. Does DongDu still own that building?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2018, 1:41 PM

Quote:
A more detailed picture from Waye Mason's twitter:
Looks great from street level.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 7:01 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Renderings of 1595 Barrington:

Listing for commercial space

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 8:58 PM

Will be impressive if the materials are right. Looking forward to this one, although I wish there was a few more floors on it as always

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 11:20 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Will be impressive if the materials are right. Looking forward to this one, although I wish there was a few more floors on it as always
Impossible to know yet how it will turn out exactly but the design reminds me of what might have been for the Doyle block.

It'll be interesting to see how Barrington comes together. It could have been a "preserved in amber" heritage district but I think the construction of the last few years is going to put it on a level of urbanity it wouldn't have otherwise hit. This was probably the right decision in a city that's now growing pretty rapidly. It's important to preserve as much character as possible but it's also important that the inner city evolve to fit the larger and more developed region.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 2:22 AM

They're calling this "The Discovery Centre"? That's confusing...

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Impossible to know yet how it will turn out exactly but the design reminds me of what might have been for the Doyle block.

At 5 floors max the Doyle block could never have looked anything like that.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 6:50 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
At 5 floors max the Doyle block could never have looked anything like that.
Not due to any fundamental laws of the universe or technological limitations but due to bad planning rules. Not many people seem to appreciate how these rules can make new development worse, or at least I haven't seen much acknowledgement of it in the media, meeting minutes, etc.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 11:33 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 5:04 PM

Maybe it's just the lighting/colour adjustment of the photograph, but it looks like the window frames have been painted a lime green? I'll make a point of checking it out next time I'm there.

Can't remember if this has been posted before, but the NS Archives have a few pics of the actual Green Lantern restaurant/store/cafe from the 1940s. It looked quite nice, actually.

Source

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 1:26 PM

That was definitely a handsome spot in its day. I’d love to see someone try to recreate that iconic Art Deco styling in a new eatery on the site. Preferably with those 1940s prices. (Cripes, I think I paid 6 bucks for that 10 cent milkshake last week... )

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 9:49 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Another rendering:

Source

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 10:14 PM
The New Republic

That addition doesn't work with the base.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 10:51 PM

Yeah I'm not so sure about this one, I don't get why they chose to make it round. Something simpler or more angular would have looked better IMO, and I liked the colouring in older renderings better. It's also a shame that they didn't include the Green Lantern addition in the rendering.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 3:49 AM

The architect messed up the transition pretty bad. They really weren't that imaginative at the street level either. It's sad they're not going back to a corner entrance for the ground floor, definitely a missed opportunity.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 6:38 PM

I too would have preferred the addition to follow the original building shape, even though it will no longer be the original building. Maybe it won't look so bad at street level...

IMHO, the real missed opportunity here is that they didn't keep the façade of the original Zellers building. It was one of the few art deco examples that we had in Halifax, as there wasn't a lot of building going on here during the period that art deco was in vogue.

At least recladding it in a similar fashion will get it close, but it's not clear if they will include the original carved sandstone decorative elements or not. The rendering shows some of it, but not all of it, and the windows will be reconfigured a bit.

FWIW, I don't believe the entrance was right on the chamfered corner - I think it was more of a styling element that gave the building visual interest.

Source

Source

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth