HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 7:03 AM

Thumbs up Two Denver Museums and the Areas Around Them by DenverAztec – Part One

Here are a few photos of the Denver Art Museum, late summer/early fall, and a few winter shots of some of our past snow falls that I shot.

Since its beginnings in the 1890s as the Denver Artists’ Club, the Denver Art Museum has had a number of temporary homes, from the public library and a downtown mansion to a portion of the Denver City and County Building.

The North Building of the DAM was designed by Italian architect Gio Ponti and built in 1971. It is seven stories and 210,000 square feet. When built it was a move away from the temple-styled museum. It has more than a million reflective glass tiles on its exterior and dramatic windows and pierced roofline, creating a castle-like façade. "Art is a treasure, and these thin but jealous walls defend it," said Gio Ponti.

DAM commissioned architect Daniel Libeskind to design an expansion that would accommodate its growing collections and programs. The 146,000-square-foot Hamilton Building opened to the public October 7, 2006. The Hamilton Building's design recalls the peaks of the Rocky Mountains and geometric rock crystals found in the foothills near Denver. "I was inspired by the light and the geology of the Rockies, but most of all by the wide-open faces of the people of Denver," says Libeskind. The building is covered in 9,000 titanium panels that reflect the Colorado sunshine. This is Libeskind’s first structure in the United States and he is currently one of the architects working on the WTC replacement in NYC.

There has been much controversy about the building as many believe the building is art in itself and how can it properly display art internally. The same was said about the Guggenheim in New York City, but now that museum is considered a gem to Manhattan residents. The walls in the DAM addition are all at an angle as are the staircases, the ceilings and even the furniture. Some visitors have been unable to stay for long periods of time or leave with vertigo as their eyes are not accustom to the continued variation in the angles with only the floor being horizontal and nothing exactly vertical.

Visitors will find in the collection artistic works by Warhol, Picasso, Monet, Renoir, Pissarro, to name a few and all amongst more modern and contemporary pieces.

Museum condos/lofts next to the DAM are also designed by Daniel Libeskind. There is additional planning for a tower that will match these condos to be built on the same city block.

Michael Graves is hailed worldwide as a co-founder of the Postmodern school of architecture. Postmodernists reject modern skyscrapers for the classical forms, natural materials and colors of centuries past. Some of Graves' best-known projects are the Walt Disney Corporate Headquarters in Burbank, California: Disneyworld Swan and Dolphin Hotels in Orlando, Florida; The Portland (Oregon) Building; and The Humana Building (Louisville, Kentucky). The New York Times calls Michael Graves "the most truly original voice that American architecture has produced in some time."

Construction of the new Central Library was funded by a bond issue approved by a 75 percent majority of Denver voters in 1990. In 1995, the new Central Library opened to nationwide acclaim. It is now the largest library between Los Angeles and Chicago, and each year over a million people visit the Central Library.

The neighborhood south of the Denver Art Museum is consider the Golden Triangle and it is currently one of the pricier places to live give its proximity to downtown and the modern structures erected. Located between the boundaries of Lincoln, Colfax and Speer, this is an area in great transition. Some of Denver’s best nightclubs are on the east end of this neighborhood and it is slowly being recognized as SoCo (south of Colfax). Sprinkled throughout are almost twenty galleries and more springing up as more structures are being renovated or built. The north end has the Denver City and County building, the U.S. Mint and the currently under construction Denver Justice Center. Here are only a few photos of the Golden Triangle.

The Prado

Golden Row

Evans School, currently vacant and waiting to become condos or possible a cultural center for the neighborhood.

Restaurant Cuba Cuba, made by connecting a few small bungalows.

Old Structure still hanging on

The Church Nightclub, Sunday night is Goth Night, in case you wanted to know

Piranesi – my least favorite

Dozen’s – great place for breakfast, it is comprised of a couple of the early 1900 Victorian homes connected.

Speer Boulevard with the Cherry Creek River and Bike Path (looks great in the summer, but is currently covered with snow.)

Prado from Sunken Gardens

The Belvedere

No, this is not my Bail Bond service, but not a bad name. These houses, now business, are representative of what some of the homes in the Golden Triangle use to look like, not sure how long these will last.

Space that for certain will be filled in with a structure –

Boulevard Lofts

Beauvallon

Just east of the Golden Triangle is Capitol Hill and for a change of pace, here are some winter shots I took of various past storms. We did have a white Christmas this year, but it was pretty gloomy all day today to get any shots off, plus I had to visit with family instead of roaming the streets with my camera. Damm!

Cheesman Park/Governor's Park/Capitol Hill

Christ the King Church

The circa 1880s mansions look great when they are red with the white snow surrounding them.

The snow can be so dominating and surrounding that you feel like you are in a black and white movie, that is until the sun comes out. I don't have any black and whites in this thread, all are in color.

During the dusk and dawn hours, the early or late moonlight can give the snow a bluish hue.

But nothing like the snow with the blue sky!

Some Christmas in the City shots.

Before the lights and the manger nativity scene (my nephew calls it the activity scene)

After

Off to Patzcuaro’s Mexican food in the Highlands

I will post the new Museum of Contemporary Art and sections of LoDo in part two.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Link to Part Two = http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=143912

Last edited by denveraztec; Jan 9, 2008 at 5:25 AM.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 1:29 PM
no its not...

as always....an amazing job

...I especially love the snow pics

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 3:11 PM

great pictures!

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 3:17 PM
zzzzzzzz

Great stuff - very interesting. Nice work, aztec!

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 3:36 PM
Red Hook Aficionado

Hey DA, these are awesome photos!

I don't have time right now to thoroughly take a look, but i will check them out again later.

Great job!

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 4:05 PM

Ewww, the belvedere, the beaumont, and the prado... how could you show these monstrocities in an art muesum thread? J/K!

I've been looking forward to another DA thread, this one definitely didn't disappoint. The museum condos are a pretty cool addition next to the art museum expansion, it looks very interesting. I always love seeing the turn of the century housing and building stock of cities, especially cities like Denver.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 4:13 PM

I love the new architecture there. Denver is such a nice city. I wish we could get some stuff like that. I am jealous lol.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 6:10 PM
Red Hook Aficionado

I really like the Libeskind addition to DAM... at least from the outside. Will be going to the museum (inside) for the first time this Saturday...
Did you have to get special permission to take the photos of the artwork?

Love this shot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by denveraztec View Post

Construction of the new Central Library was funded by a bond issue approved by a 75 percent majority of Denver voters in 1990. In 1995, the new Central Library opened to nationwide acclaim. It is now the largest library between Los Angeles and Chicago, and each year over a million people visit the Central Library.
The Library is great... we go there weekly.

This is a beautiful shot!

You do a great job of representing Denver DA! Excellent photos

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 6:24 PM

Thank you all for the nice comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobyLL View Post
I really like the Libeskind addition to DAM... at least from the outside. Will be going to the museum (inside) for the first time this Saturday...Did you have to get special permission to take the photos of the artwork? You do a great job of representing Denver DA! Excellent photos
You are too kind, thank you! You can take photos of the DAM collection as long as no flash is used. Hence the poor quality with some of Impressionists work, no flash and no tripod, mixed with tons of folks bumping into you is not my ideal environment. However, in the temporary modern contemporary exhibits and especially those here on tour from the Louve in Paris, no photos are allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Ewww, the belvedere, the beaumont, and the prado... how could you show these monstrocities in an art muesum thread? J/K! I've been looking forward to another DA thread, this one definitely didn't disappoint. The museum condos are a pretty cool addition next to the art museum expansion, it looks very interesting. I always love seeing the turn of the century housing and building stock of cities, especially cities like Denver.
I like the Beauvallon and the Belvedere but still undecided on the Prado. It was supposed to have statues on it, like at least a dozen. I am so glad they didn't do it as it would look like it belonged in Vegas at Ceasar's Palace. There are several other buildings going in this area that will be in that 10 to 20 floor range and all are very different from one another. It will be interesting to watch as it all develops.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 6:50 PM
Exploring the world

Thumbs up Wonderful winter photograghy !

Great shots DA !! The winter scenes are fantastic and worthy of NGS . You put on a photog's clinic with your threads, man!

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 7:25 PM

I enjoyed all of the photos on this thread, but I really thought the snow photos were the best. We just don't see those kind of snowfalls in Fort Worth. We're lucky if a few flakes fall.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 7:34 PM

I love it.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 8:17 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Now THAT is a good photo thread.

A couple of comments from me:
1. Daniel Libeskind has such a smooth, clean style. It is really beautiful and I nominate him as one of America's best architects.
2. It looks like Denver is building a central park in the golden triangle with bldgs like the Prado next to the sunken gardens. Looks great though.
3. The golden triangle is amazingly nice. I didn't realize how much great modernism you guys had there. I love that style and it looks really good.

Thanks for the tour!

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 8:53 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

One of the best Denver photo threads in ages! Great work!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 2:06 AM

Thank you all for the great comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Pride View Post
Now THAT is a good photo thread.

A couple of comments from me:
1. Daniel Libeskind has such a smooth, clean style. It is really beautiful and I nominate him as one of America's best architects.
2. It looks like Denver is building a central park in the golden triangle with bldgs like the Prado next to the sunken gardens. Looks great though.
3. The golden triangle is amazingly nice. I didn't realize how much great modernism you guys had there. I love that style and it looks really good.

Thanks for the tour!
So true PA Pride concerning Daniel Libeskind. Check out his web site projects, he is all over the world with them:

http://www.daniel-libeskind.com/projects/show-all/

I love his designs and he is becoming increasingly internationally known. We are fortunate to have one of his gems in Denver, and the first in the U.S.

I am seeing more modernism with the homes around town and will capture some of them for a future thread.

Thank you all again and Happy New Year!

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 2:13 AM
urbanphile

wow, glad I clicked on this one!

I usually have no love for post modern buildings, but some of these are really well done. I'm really digging that Prado!

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 2:20 AM
California goth

Wow. I'm ashamed to say this is the first Denver photo thread I've clicked on in my time here and now I regret looking over other Denver threads. What a wonderful mix of architecture. I had no idea.

the Piranesi however is horrid! Get that thing back in the suburbs!

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 3:14 AM

Denver is a true gem, thank you again DA for capturing the city I love to live in.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 10:47 AM
Meh

Great pics!

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 2:51 AM
Up Up and Away

Yet another great thread from DA. I really enjoy your threads because they capture the essence that makes Denver such a great city to live in. Thanks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos