HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 12:44 PM

Looks like the Pittsburgh Downtown Partnership had a DAM meeting last week where a mid-sized apartment conversion project for the Cultural District was discussed. The Desmone project would convert 933 Penn Avenue from its current use (charter school offices on the lower floors, vacant above) into a 63-unit residential building with ground-floor commercial. Desmone would also remove the ugly-ass, metal skin across the front, replacing it with "glazed brick." I don't know what this will end up like (I don't have high hopes, given the developer) but anything would be a trade up for the ugliest building in the Cultural District by a country mile.

Also, it looks like Pennrose is working towards RCAP grant to convert the long-shuttered Divine Providence Hospital on the North Side into affordable housing. The project is still in its infancy, but Pennrose estimates there will be 128 units.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 6:00 PM

Riverlife reveals revamped West End Bridge walkway designs

https://nextpittsburgh.com/city-desi...lkway-designs/

Video presentation 3/13/24

A conceptual design of the new pedestrian access structure on the Manchester side of the West End Bridge. Courtesy of Riverlife.

A preliminary render of the Manchester site at the West End Bridge. Rendering courtesy of Riverlife.

“Site A” at the West End terminus of the West End Bridge. The structure connects to the West End Village via an old railroad tunnel above West Carson Street. Courtesy of Riverlife.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 9:11 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

^ That's so sick! I really hope it comes to fruition. I would love to try it out on my bike.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 9:51 PM

It's about fucking time. Access to the West End & SW suburbs by bicycle is basically a death wish. This is a long overdue connection point and this project cannot move fast enough.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 1:06 AM
Ex Houstonian

Wait, what bike trail or whatever is that going to connect to? Will it connect to the Panhandle Trail? If so, that would be so freaking awesome, I could bike from Carnegie almost (if they ever extend the trail another mile) to downtown. Riding a bike to downtown from Carnegie is basically impossible or you will die from getting ran over or die from having to bike up and over Mt. Washington or the West End.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 10:13 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
It's about fucking time.
I know, right. It feels like it's been like 15 yrs since we first saw renderings for this idea.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 12:19 PM

April HRC agenda is up. It's very short - just a few small residential projects, along with resubmits of two more substantive projects (Old Stone Tavern and the nomination of the Brookline Parklet).

Of note though is a resubmit for Spork Pit for the former Double Wide location. Mostly notable because it's a total surrender from the kitschy trash they had wanted. The plan will now be to repaint and make some minor modifications to the awning.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Wait, what bike trail or whatever is that going to connect to? Will it connect to the Panhandle Trail? If so, that would be so freaking awesome, I could bike from Carnegie almost (if they ever extend the trail another mile) to downtown. Riding a bike to downtown from Carnegie is basically impossible or you will die from getting ran over or die from having to bike up and over Mt. Washington or the West End.
It isn't connecting to a trail on the West End side, but the nightmare of the West End bridge sidewalk + rats nest of horrible roads & bike/ped crossings waiting for you on the West End side will be solved. Once you get into central West End, Noblestown Rd has wide shoulders that could almost be bike lanes...and then it's pretty easy through Carnegie to the Panhandle trail. I say all of this as a heavy road cyclist so your comfort levels may vary, but at least the worst pain point of the whole thing will be relieved at West End and finally have a nice connection to the rest of Pittsburgh's river trail network.

If it's an attractive enough bridge crossing and trail system right into West End, it should do wonders for the business district. In the warmer months, it could attract a lot of leisure riders into it. I could see breweries and cafes popping up over there a la Millvale, or how Roundabout Brewery's beer garden attracts a ton of bike traffic in Chateau.

Last edited by AaronPGH; Mar 24, 2024 at 6:01 PM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 2:07 PM
Ex Houstonian

I hope that means they will also be repainting / restoring the bridge. It’s a rusty nightmare and is embarrassing for the city to have a nearly falling apart bridge be the gateway to a lot of the city.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 8:24 PM

There are also plans to extend the panhandle from Collier into Carnegie. Currently it has one million in funding from the Allegheny County Redevelopment Authority.
https://www.unionprogress.com/2024/0...-improvements/

Carnegie's page on the panhandle trail extension:
https://carnegieborough.com/trail/support.html

The plans for a new park and ride garage in Carnegie also depict the trail being extended:
https://www.rideprt.org/siteassets/i...es_reduced.pdf

These two projects won't completely close the gap but we're getting closer!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 8:35 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
Last time I talked to the mayor, about a year ago about the Panhandle trail extension to Carnegie she said it probably wasn't going to happen as the railroad thinks it will one day reopen the spur to who knows where. But they weren't going to give up their ROW.

Perhaps thats changed since a year ago, I sure hope it has because I am literally 100ft away from the railroad and right above the Carnegie Borough Building. It would help home values and it sure as hell would be nice to just hop on my bike without having to haul it in my car to the trails.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations