HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 12:24 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
I see.
Yeah I can see that it's not reasonable to expect to sell 8,000 tickets at those prices.
I also don't think it's reasonable to sell tickets at those prices in Halifax, either, at least not enough to fill the rink.
Halifax and Moncton co-hosting is enough. The big rink is smaller than past big rinks but the small rink is bigger than some past small rinks. Averages out to about the same. Victoria's rink next year is smaller than both Halifax' and Moncton's arenas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSquared View Post
Cities like Moncton (or Halifax for that matter) don't have anywhere near the population and money to support this monstrosity of a tournament without joining together. Maybe 30-40 years ago when the tournament was in its humble infancy, but definitely not today.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Hockey Canada move the tournament to a smaller set of locations following the disasters of Montreal & Toronto. They want to ensure that rinks are full and the atmosphere is there. Saskatoon/Regina is a sweet spot, IMO, but Halifax/Moncton isn't too far off of that. I imagine something like Winnipeg/Brandon is likely in the future, as well.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 11:46 AM

I read a few news and sports stories after last year's disaster and it sounded like HOckey Canada had learned its lessson. But have they?
One of the stories, I think it was on cbc but I can't find it, listed the revenue they earned from the last several tournies and you could see how it has risen into the multiple millions of dollars.
aRE they willing to forgo all that money? We will see.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 2:23 PM

I could see Toronto hosting the tournament again. They were getting at least 6-7k at pretty much every games, so it wasnt as catastrophic as Montreal. But definitely with another running mate (London or Hamilton maybe?).

Montreal's pretty much removed from any consideration in the future, but I could see Laval maybe getting some thoughts.

The next time they consider hosting the tournament in Quebec would probably be Quebec City, maybe with Rimouski, or the potential new arena they plan of building in Trois-Rivieres. But that'll only happened after Moncton/Halifax, and probably 2-3 trips in the West Coast IMO.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 4:05 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by felip_ars View Post
I could see Toronto hosting the tournament again. They were getting at least 6-7k at pretty much every games, so it wasnt as catastrophic as Montreal. But definitely with another running mate (London or Hamilton maybe?).
Extremely unlikely for the next few tournaments. HC likes to rotate the tournament around as much as possible. London/Kitchener or Hamilton/Niagara would be fun tournaments.

Quote:
Montreal's pretty much removed from any consideration in the future, but I could see Laval maybe getting some thoughts.
I don't see a difference between Montreal and Laval.

Quote:
The next time they consider hosting the tournament in Quebec would probably be Quebec City, maybe with Rimouski, or the potential new arena they plan of building in Trois-Rivieres. But that'll only happened after Moncton/Halifax, and probably 2-3 trips in the West Coast IMO.
It's possible. Depends on what's going on with Quebec's rink in ten years. Quebec could be paired with Victoriaville or Drummondville or both fairly easily.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Extremely unlikely for the next few tournaments. HC likes to rotate the tournament around as much as possible. London/Kitchener or Hamilton/Niagara would be fun tournaments.
I never said for the next few. I said that Toronto is still in the mix to host it, unlike Montreal, which is pretty much done

Quote:
I don't see a difference between Montreal and Laval.
Smaller arena (10k), outside of Montreal (im willing to bet a lot of fans didnt want to go to Mtl because of the traffic, and/or didnt want to use the subway). Plenty of fans of minor league hockey in the north shore (Junior A, Q, AHL). I dont see Laval as the "main" host, but it could definitely play second fiddle to another city

Quote:
It's possible. Depends on what's going on with Quebec's rink in ten years. Quebec could be paired with Victoriaville or Drummondville or both fairly easily.
Unless a team magically goes for sale and Bettman cant do anything to prevent it from moving, the next 10 years in Centre Videotron will probably be all Remparts.

I put Rimouski and Trois-Rivieres in the mix as Rimouski got the bigger venue (5k), and already hosted the Memorial Cup.

As for Trois-Rivieres, their new 4k seats arena is scheduled to be completed by 2019.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 3:24 PM

At the Cats game last night the cats setup a small booth that revealed the first to be seen seating chart of the new centre. I'll try and snap a pic of it today if I can. There was 15-20 people all gathered around it asking questions to the cats business people. A few notes I took away

-There will be an ice level bar at the end with the retractable seating just like in SJ. I'm happy with this, one more thing to bring in younger folks who they need to be drawing and the cats do not need ~8800 seats for most of their games. Its great for atmosphere

-There was many coloured sections all over the rink. The club seats had a gold & platinum levels. Corner & End seats were seperate colours and even "glass level" seats. This indicates to me there will be many different pricing levels based on your seat

-Adult season tickets are "starting at" $480 with child/student tickets starting as low as $130. With someone with very good seats at the coliseum (10 rows up behind the players benches, i hope there isnt a huge jump to be able to maintain a seat with a similar view to the one I have already. Luckily My playoff committment will act as a significant down payment on next seasons seats. 480 is already a $50 jump from this seasons prices.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 3:49 PM

-Adult season tickets are "starting at" $480 with child/student tickets starting as low as $130. With someone with very good seats at the coliseum (10 rows up behind the players benches, i hope there isnt a huge jump to be able to maintain a seat with a similar view to the one I have already. Luckily My playoff committment will act as a significant down payment on next seasons seats. 480 is already a $50 jump from this seasons prices.[/QUOTE]

How much are this season's season tickets at the Coliseum?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 4:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
How much are this season's season tickets at the Coliseum?
lirette said it was a $50 jump, so currently $430.

There will also be the additional penalty of paid parking (the cost of which is currently uncertain), but will likely add another $200 or so to the cost of a year of Wildcats hockey.

So, ultimately, a $430 seasons ticket this year will end up being at least $680 for the new downtown centre next year.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
lirette said it was a $50 jump, so currently $430.

There will also be the additional penalty of paid parking (the cost of which is currently uncertain), but will likely add another $200 or so to the cost of a year of Wildcats hockey.

So, ultimately, a $430 seasons ticket this year will end up being at least $680 for the new downtown centre next year.
for 36/38 games? and a reserved seat for the playoffs I presume?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 4:55 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
For 38 games, with the right to retain your seats for the playoffs (playoff tickets however are extra).

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 5:08 PM

Quote:
34 Games. You have the first right to your seat in the playoffs but playoff packages are $236. Apparently in a few markets they've started selling their season ticket packages with playoffs included (for a higher price). Regina for example. I actually think this is something the Wildcats might explore down the road..its been an ongoing issue over the years that the last few games of the year have crowds of 6000+ only to have crowds of under 3000 fans for the first series of the playoffs.

You would think this makes zero sense since playoffs is the best and most important hockey of the year but the issue is that corporate season tickets seem to never renew for the playoffs.

I'd prefer this as a season ticket holder as it would allow me to simply make one payment, or do a payment plan for the full amount over the course of the year, vs getting hit with a 230+ charge a few months after christmas when disposable income is at its lowest.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 5:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Doh!! - 34 games, of course, and I'm a seasons ticket holder too.......

I'm not sure about including the playoff package in the season's ticket price. I see your point about attendance dropping off in the first playoff round, and I've noticed this myself. It's just that paying for the whole meal deal at the downtown centre would end up costing about $950-$1000 (parking included), which seems like a lot of money. I know you can pay by instalments etc, but still, this could frighten some people off........

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Doh!! - 34 games, of course, and I'm a seasons ticket holder too.......

I'm not sure about including the playoff package in the season's ticket price. I see your point about attendance dropping off in the first playoff round, and I've noticed this myself. It's just that paying for the whole meal deal at the downtown centre would end up costing about $950-$1000 (parking included), which seems like a lot of money. I know you can pay by instalments etc, but still, this could frighten some people off........
Just for fun. In 1978 or so, I was 13 and it was the first year of the AHL in Moncton. My Father considered season tickets. for a 40 game schedule, they wanted $200.00 for bowl seats, $160.00 for the balcony. Single game tickets were $5.50 bowl, $4.50 in the balcony. The prices increased by a $1.00 in the playoffs that year for each level, No seniors/students discounts back then. And yes, after the first 2 or 3 years the attendance dropped in the playoffs, especially for the 1st round.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 7:59 PM

Thanks for the great info lirette. If you could snap a pic of it today that'd be brilliant.

The ice bar is a good start. It's not really my thing at all, but it will appeal to a chunk of 19-35, which is long overdue. It's a clear sign that front office is now open to moving away from the tired old routine.

It'll be interesting to see the price structure in greater detail. If it's $480 for a season seat near the very top behind the visiting net (Cats shoot twice), that's great value given the view from up there.

Still hoping they designate a couple of end sections for louder/supporter type fans, and a few other sections for families. If it's certain you'll have the sort of vibe you want in your general area, it makes it much more appealing to commit to a season seat. Others would also benefit from knowing which sections to avoid depending on their dislikes.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 8:05 PM
ハルウララ

I've no idea why they wouldn't decide to include Playoffs in with STs, especially with an easy opportunity to with the new building. I suppose it's easier to add them later rather than starting them as complimentary and adding a cost later. It always seemed obvious to me that Playoffs were a bonus for the people that were willing to shell out for the season. I guess for STHs in the NHL, and the revenue increase the playoffs entail, that sort of structure is permissible.

In the end, 16 of 18 teams make the playoffs in the Q - that's why the first round is so lame.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 5:08 PM

I noticed on the Moncton Magic website today that they are conducting a poll to see if fans would prefer they play at the new Events Centre next year, or remain at the Coliseum. I'm seeing advantages to both sides. Playing in a brand new state-of-the-art facility could increase attendance, but remaining at the Coliseum would make them the primary tenant and allow for a more fan-friendly game date schedule. Your thoughts?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 5:29 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodiacCanuck View Post
I noticed on the Moncton Magic website today that they are conducting a poll to see if fans would prefer they play at the new Events Centre next year, or remain at the Coliseum. I'm seeing advantages to both sides. Playing in a brand new state-of-the-art facility could increase attendance, but remaining at the Coliseum would make them the primary tenant and allow for a more fan-friendly game date schedule. Your thoughts?
Would the city even allow this???

They are busily trying to decide what to do with the Coliseum, and it is certainly a very distinct possibility that they will turn the old rink area into a field house, or expanded trade centre space for the Agrena. If this happens, the seating will be removed.

Also, what about concessions? Would concessions remain at the Coliseum only to service the Magic? I doubt it. What about ushers and the other attendants? Currently the staff services both the Magic & the Wildcats. Some of the ushers are planning to move to the new events centre next fall (they will have to re-apply for their jobs however). Many of the older attendants plan to retire. Would they be looking at volunteers to take their place.

It would be a tremendous risk for the Magic to do this. Even if the city allows it, the game day experience would be a lot different. There would be little or anything available in terms of concessions and you would likely be dealing with a mostly volunteer staff. They could lose a lot of fans.........

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Would the city even allow this???
Could be a negotiating tactic. Perhaps the rent downtown is higher than the Magic want to pay.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Could be a negotiating tactic. Perhaps the rent downtown is higher than the Magic want to pay.
My thoughts exactly. A ploy/leverage for a better contract. I understand the team would want the best deal possible, I doubt staying where they are is sitting well with the city.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 3:21 PM

At the moment, the team is setup to be profitable with an average attendance of 1500.

A couple of days ago, an article indicated that Moncton was getting an average attendance of 788, which is the second worst of the league.

Quote:
London Lightning lead with 4,087 a game, followed by the expansion St. John’s Edge at 3,261. The rest of the list has the River Lions at 1,899, Island Storm 1,789, Halifax Hurricanes 1,688, Saint John Riptide 1,326, Cape Breton Highlanders 1,341, Kitchener-Waterloo Titans 1,237, Moncton Magic 788 and Windsor Express 781.
http://www.lfpress.com/2018/02/22/nb...as-of-weakness

Moving to the new Centre will probably mean raising that magic number to maybe 2000 per game, so they are probably trying to get the best deal they can to lower that number.

Playing at the old Coliseum would mean, no change in the numbers, plus they wont risk being push around if a bigger show could be happening in Moncton. Im sure SMG will not think twice in moving a Magic game if they can land a big act at the same day.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces