HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted May 2, 2010, 4:03 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Anybody have any picture updates or phototours that they can upload??

I'm out of province for the next 6 months and am dying for some updates on the Trillium, NSP, Vic, etc
I am not in the Halifax area, however, here are a couple of webcam sites with good steaming views of the waterfront with the NS Power building, and you can see the Vic crane also. If the Salter Street and United Gulf projects go ahead then these will give daily progress images.

http://www.halifaxwebcam.ca/live/ind...bishopslanding (this has several different views)

http://www.nspower.ca/en/home/commun...n/default.aspx (this has three different views of the NS Power building - click one of the images at the bottom)

Old Posted May 2, 2010, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Anybody have any picture updates or phototours that they can upload??

I'm out of province for the next 6 months and am dying for some updates on the Trillium, NSP, Vic, etc
I've being edging to see some updates too. I only ever have time at night to go in town ...

Hopefully somebody else has a camera because the last four weeks have been horrible for me and it doesn't look like I'll have time for at least a couple of weeks.

Old Posted May 2, 2010, 5:00 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I am not in the Halifax area, however, here are a couple of webcam sites with good steaming views of the waterfront with the NS Power building, and you can see the Vic crane also. If the Salter Street and United Gulf projects go ahead then these will give daily progress images.

http://www.halifaxwebcam.ca/live/ind...bishopslanding (this has several different views)

http://www.nspower.ca/en/home/commun...n/default.aspx (this has three different views of the NS Power building - click one of the images at the bottom)
Thanks... forgot about the halifaxwebcam one!

Old Posted May 2, 2010, 5:10 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
I've being edging to see some updates too. I only ever have time at night to go in town ...

Hopefully somebody else has a camera because the last four weeks have been horrible for me and it doesn't look like I'll have time for at least a couple of weeks.
There probably hasn't been much progress, but I'm itching for updates too!

Old Posted May 3, 2010, 3:10 AM

You are all in luck! I was around taking some pics downtown today. So please check the project threads. Here are a few that do not have respective threads.

The Morse Tea Building

The reclad for the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic. You can notice in these pics that a second row of scaffolding was added a few weeks ago. Apparently when they took down the old cladding they found that the walls were not entirely sound without it. So this new part of the scaffolding is actually holding up the walls in places. I find the new cladding to be quite attractive.

The work being done to renovate all the balconies on Park Vic. Some of the balconies appear to be in horrible shape. Some are just a mesh of rebar now.

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 7:07 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
YMCA (South Park Street) development renderings by Michael Napier will be on display at the YMCA (South Park Street) on May 5 and May 6 for public viewing. This development will be through the HRMbyDesign guidelines (let's see how long the approval will take). According to HRMbyDesign guidelines this could be as high as 16 storeys. The plan includes re-development of the CBC building which can go as high as 8 storeys.
Will anyone be going to this open house at the South Street YMCA to see the renderings? It will be on display on May 5 and 6 during the evening for the general public (7 PM to 9 PM) and during the day for members (http://www.ymcahrm.ns.ca/). I would go myself but I am in Ontario and have been for a long time. I am very interested in seeing it. Maybe someone could take a picture if allowed and then post it. I would really appreciate it.

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 3:51 PM

Multicultural Festival leaving Dartmouth for Halifax

By PAT LEE Staff Reporter
Tue. May 4 - 11:20 AM
After 25 years on the Dartmouth waterfront, the Nova Scotia Multicultural Festival is picking up stakes and moving to Halifax.

Normally held around the end of June at Alderney Landing, this year the three-day event will run from July 2-4 at the Halifax Seaport.
Organizer Heather Ritchie said the move was necessary as the navy has 100th anniversary plans set for the end of June and festival planners feared their event would get lost in the shuffle.

“It’s just a scheduling conflict,” she said. “Just for this year we’re trying a new venue and we’ll see how it goes.”

Laura Crouse of Alderney Landing said the news, delivered to them about a month ago, was a shock.

“It was a surprise,” she said. “It was a big deal when we heard.”

As far as she knows, festival organizers did not discuss alternate dates to try to keep the event in Dartmouth. Crouse said their facility is booked each year for Canada Day concerts, but the festival could have been held the following weekend.

She said they’re hopeful the festival will be back on the Dartmouth waterfront next year.

Coun. Gloria McCluskey fears the move will be permanent.

Old Posted May 5, 2010, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Will anyone be going to this open house at the South Street YMCA to see the renderings? It will be on display on May 5 and 6 during the evening for the general public (7 PM to 9 PM) and during the day for members (http://www.ymcahrm.ns.ca/). I would go myself but I am in Ontario and have been for a long time. I am very interested in seeing it. Maybe someone could take a picture if allowed and then post it. I would really appreciate it.
I'm assuming it will be in the paper sometime this week. I'm hoping to get over in the afternoon to see it though if I can.

Old Posted May 5, 2010, 11:44 AM

Church gets OK for seniors complex
By BILL POWER Business Reporter
Wed. May 5 - 4:53 AM

It appears the way has been cleared for the Anglican Church in Halifax to build an eight-storey seniors care facility in downtown Halifax.

In a decision released Tuesday, the Nova Scotia Court of Appeal quashed efforts by the city to block the project, slated for the corner of Martello and College streets.

The city initially denied the church’s building permit application to construct a 150-unit complex in April 2009 because its development officer felt the project would be too residential and therefore not allowed in an institutional zone.

The church appealed the decision to the Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board, arguing that the residential component of the project would be dedicated to the institutionalized care of its residents.

The board, in a decision released last October, sided with the church and rejected the city’s position, saying the project met the requirements of an institutional zone. It ordered the municipality to issue a permit.

The city appealed the board’s decision because it felt the board had made a reviewable error by ordering the issuance of a building permit.

Writing on behalf of the Appeal Court, Justice Joel Fichaud rejected the city’s position. He said the Utility and Review Board’s decision did not misinterpret the city’s land use bylaw and "involved no reviewable error."

( bpower@herald.ca )

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 1:07 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Vice-chair of Halifax council review quits

From cbcnews.ca

No political will to reduce number of councillors, Coun. Tim Outhit complains

Efforts to revamp the Halifax regional council could be in trouble.

One member of the eight-person committee set up to recommend reforms has resigned and another is questioning whether any change is possible.

A review has been underway since 2009.

Bedford Coun. Tim Outhit, who was the vice-chairman of the committee, said he stepped down because he doesn't see any political will to significantly reduce the number of councillors.

Outhit believes council should comprise between 15 and 18 districts, down from the current 23. He said a smaller council would be more efficient and effective.

"You would have the council acting more like a board of directors, where you would come together to deal with the big issues," he said.

But he said many of his municipal colleagues are not willing to endorse the cuts.

"We basically have councillors there voting to some extent on their own future, which is protectionist and a little bit of parochial thinking," he said.

Coun. Reg Rankin said he also has doubts about the process.

"You know, it's a curious thing to put us in charge of this exercise – councillors," he said. "It's certainly in their interests, a number of them, to maintain their jobs, maintain the status quo."

The committee will make a recommendation to the council by the end of June. A final proposal on district boundaries and council size will be submitted to the Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board by the end of the year.

The board will then make a decision in time for municipal elections in 2012.

There have been two other reviews in the past eight years, but the regional council has maintained the status quo of 23 districts.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 1:40 AM

This issue should be a public vote. After all we are supposed to be the heads of this company If the public wanted them cut down, then they would and a decision would be made on who to cut.

Old Posted May 8, 2010, 9:40 PM

May 7th, 2010 (Partial Phototour)

Just a quick shot from last night;

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 10:21 PM
Closed account

Anybody hear about the old One World Cafe lot on Agricola? I'm told work will begin on a 3-story office building there in the next few months.

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 10:40 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Is that the "Artists' Society" and HCAP building on Google streetview?

The latest boardwalk section looks nice. Funny thing is I remember hearing "longest continuous boardwalk" claims long before this chunk and the Salter part were ever finished.

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 11:04 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Is that the "Artists' Society" and HCAP building on Google streetview
Yes.

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The latest boardwalk section looks nice. Funny thing is I remember hearing "longest continuous boardwalk" claims long before this chunk and the Salter part were ever finished.
Googling it, it's never been true anyway. The world's longest boardwalk opened on June 26 1870 in Atlantic City, New Jersey and currently runs 4 1/2 miles in length.

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 12:44 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

That's not surprising, although the waterfront in Halifax is genuinely pretty long now - about 3 km. It would be nice if it went all the way to Point Pleasant Park.

The "second largest harbour" in the world claim is another one that seems suspect - how do you even measure such a thing?

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 2:39 AM

Halifax is the second largest harbour, but there is never a statement of how that is found out. Whether through total water, or area.

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 3:13 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
Halifax is the second largest harbour, but there is never a statement of how that is found out. Whether through total water, or area.
I believe the stat is world's second largest natural harbour and I believe its measured by volume of water.

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I believe the stat is world's second largest natural harbour and I believe its measured by volume of water.
Also listed as the largest ice-free port.
http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/halifax/index-eng.php

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth