HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 4:19 PM
你的媽媽

^ here's an older picture I took from Potrero Hill. Pretty similar angle to the one you get from 101 North.

The 5M Development will also help fill in the gaps next to the Intercontinental Hotel.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 4:39 PM

I actually totally forgot about the 5M Development! I took some pics of from the Intercontinental Hotel back in mid-August. I will post those up this weekend

homebucket, can you take another picture from Potero Hill like you've done before? It's a good angle for the skyline and I want to see how the Mexican Museum fills in from that area

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
^ here's an older picture I took from Potrero Hill. Pretty similar angle to the one you get from 101 North.

The 5M Development will also help fill in the gaps next to the Intercontinental Hotel.
This reminds me; does anyone know if there are any up to date skyline renderings out there?

I imagine there are quite a few maps and renderings of the East Cut, but nothing capturing the few dozen proposed and under construction projects.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnctt View Post
Does anyone feel the heights of the downtown buildings look too uniform from the route 80 side? Really hope another couple of taller buildings like saleforce tower added into the view.
I've posted this quite a few times over the years and I don't even remember now where I grabbed it but it's supposedly the Planning Department's vision for our skyline as published somewhere a decade or more ago now:

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
I want to see how the Mexican Museum fills in from that area
In the shot just above your post the Mexican Museum (706 Mission) would be right in front of the white hotel that's right in front of the Bank of America building (it's changed names so many times I don't know the current one). So I don't think it'll add much to the skyline since there will be at least one taller building (BofA) right behind it.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 5:57 AM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post

can you take another picture from Potero Hill like you've done before? It's a good angle for the skyline and I want to see how the Mexican Museum fills in from that area
I guess I didn't post this, which is the most recent shot I have of the skyline from Potrero Hill, on Sep 21, with 706 Mission clearly visible on the left

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 6:05 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
and that base may now be the crane seen in Jerry's photo from the 706 Mission thread: actually, I'm not so sure that's right, looks a bit too far east
Jerry’s crane is the one on the former Macy’s Men’s Store. The building has been radically dismantled, much more than I thought it would be. The crane base for the hotel at 72 Ellis is still sitting there today, just as you showed it in post 9928.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 3:31 AM

From Reddit, the old KRON-TV building at Van Ness/O'Farrell is being demolished:

https://i.redd.it/6okotls3hrs31.jpg

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 6:50 AM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesweeper View Post
From Reddit, the old KRON-TV building at Van Ness/O'Farrell is being demolished:

https://i.redd.it/6okotls3hrs31.jpg
whoa, knew this was coming, but demos are always impressive to me, especially when the building had a prominent public function

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 7:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I've posted this quite a few times over the years and I don't even remember now where I grabbed it but it's supposedly the Planning Department's vision for our skyline as published somewhere a decade or more ago now:

How big a hill is Rincon "Hill"? How tall? Never noticed much of a hill there, compared to Telegraph Hill, Nob Hill etc. Maybe I was drunk or not paying attention.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 7:32 AM

^^It's been empty and derelict for years. Until recently it still had a sign on it indicating it was a Hillary for President 2016 campaign HQ (an obviously temporary use). And as a derelict, surrounded by a chain link fence, it has been a contributor to the tragedy that the BRT project has made of Van Ness Ave.

I am out of town now for the winter but just before I left I walked by there, as always hoping to see a demo permit or some indication it was imminent (almost as much as I once hoped to see such a permit on the old McDonald's)--didn't see anything even just a week ago, but now here we are. I hope construction quickly follows.

As usual, on the Nextdoor site, the usual suspects are calling the replacement structure "too tall" and "out of character" in spite of the similarly sized new hospital a short distance away. Example: "A 14 story building, it will be horribly out of place on Van Ness and create more wind tunnels, block views, and not be a benefit to the area." Blah, blah, blah.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 7:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
How big a hill is Rincon "Hill"? How tall? Never noticed much of a hill there, compared to Telegraph Hill, Nob Hill etc. Maybe I was drunk or not paying attention.
About 100 ft I believe--so it ads that much to the perceived height of buildings near its summit.

Another SF Planning Dept principle has long been to place the tallest buildings near the top of hills and other natural terrain features so as to emplasize the city's hilliness rathe than diminish it. This is why Russian Hill and Cathedral Hill also have taller buildings at their summits than on their slopes. And, of course, One Rincon Hill, that hill's tallest, is closest to its top.

PS: Wait until you are 70-something and then walk up First St. to the top of Rincon--then you'll notice it.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 1:25 AM

Oceanwide has apparently suspended construction. This is a big blow to SF, hopefully it can be restarted soon.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 2:43 AM

"Work will continue on the taller of the two buildings, a 1.2 million-square-foot office tower with 109 condos. That building, fronting First Street, is slated to reach 910 feet and would be the second tallest in San Francisco after Salesforce Tower." from SF business times.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossabreezes View Post
Oceanwide has apparently suspended construction. This is a big blow to SF, hopefully it can be restarted soon.
Your post here is overblown and melodramatic. Do you really consider the reality of the situation a "big blow to SF" given the taller, signature tower remains under construction while the shorter one, which IIRC was supposed to go up second anyway, is on hold until the 910-footer rises?

I don't.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Lengthy and better-informed discussion of this on building thread. We should keep it all there but from what is known craigs is correct—the change is a revised plan for construction as much or more than a suspension.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 6:01 PM
Surrounded by Nature

300 Grant from Sutter

[IMG]300 Grant Avenue from Sutter Street by viewguysf, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMucho View Post
This reminds me; does anyone know if there are any up to date skyline renderings out there?
this one is pretty complete. parcel F and oceanwide and 75 howard are included. not sure what else that's not already finished would be visible from this vantage.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 2:08 PM

That looks incredible.

Would really love to see the Downtown Skyline spread more into SOMA. I think the potential for supertalls is there, as it seems that SOMA is the current direction where high density development is going.

SF def has one of the prettiest skylines in the US, hope to see it get even nicer as the years pass.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 8:43 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
That looks incredible.

Would really love to see the Downtown Skyline spread more into SOMA. I think the potential for supertalls is there, as it seems that SOMA is the current direction where high density development is going.

SF def has one of the prettiest skylines in the US, hope to see it get even nicer as the years pass.
The current tower to the right of the Salesforce tower will complete the "pretty" label for me. It completes the skyline city developers had in mind for San Francisco.

To add to the SOMA sentiments, I agree. I hope the wavy look of the skyline extends to the south of the Bay Bridge. Something for us East Bay dwellers, an epic wall to gawk at. It won't be an oppressive wall though. The wavy image will impose an impressive wall of scrapers, without it being oppressive or overwhelming.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations