HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > América Latina > Argentina > La Tanguería

Old Posted Aug 4, 2010, 4:13 PM
· · · · · · · ·

A question for the Argentinians...

Sorry I know it's rude of me to come on here expecting others to know English when I don't know very much Spanish at all... but I have an urgent question that I hope someone here can answer.

Is it cheaper to buy a personal vehicle in Argentina instead of America? Like, a motorcycle from Japan for example? My co-worker thinks it is, but I thought that once you factor in the exchange rate it would at the very least even out. :/

So if someone here could clear that up I would appreciate it.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 2:46 PM
totu

Hi!
Well, some days ago I've read that a new car in Argentina is really cheaper than in Brasil. Here you can buy one (standart) with 12,500 dollars and the for the same car in Brasil you should have at least 16000 dollars.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 5:36 PM
· · · · · · · ·

Yes, I've heard all about how expensive things are in Brazil from our resident Brazilian, Trantor. But I was wondering about Argentina vs. U.S. If a motorcycle, for example, costs $10,000 in the U.S., would it cost less in US dollars if purchased in Argentina? :/

If I could locate an Argentinian dealership I may be able to convert the currency and find out.. hmm..

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 5:45 PM

Nop. More expensive. Here we apply a 30% tariff for non-Mercosur vehicles. Therefore, it cost´s more. Simple example: down here, you can get yourself a Toyota Prius for U$S 42,900.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 5:51 PM
· · · · · · · ·

Ah, that's what I thought too but a co-worker of mine kept insisting on it being cheaper. Thanks for confirming that for me.

Sucks to hear that it has to be so expensive though. I would never pay that much money for a Prius.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 6:20 PM
BANNED

Comparing Prices between Brazil X Argentina: Of course for Argentina a VW model like Fox produced there inside Mercosur cost less, than in Brazil, because tax effects, even when is a brazilian project, but cheaper produced with less labour payments to Argentinian people. This is an example, but VW produced products in Brazilian factories could cost more in Argentina, because exportation tax. Import taxes in Brazil are really too high. Politicians want more money from each abroad product.

Comparing Prices between Argentina x Exterior of Mercosur producers: An imported car like Prius that is not nowhere produced in South.America costs of course much more than in US, mainly because Mercosur Import Tax Statements.

An old Fox (ex-Voyage) which was brazilian project in 80ies had been costed much less in US with more Security items than to the brazilian market, even when was produced in Southeast brazilian factories. This was due international agreements between VW factories. Also ex-Passat to Arabian countries costed less in Gulf than to the brazilian market, because politicians tax a lot manufactured products in Brazil, when exportation had incentives.

Those examples can happen also to another models of GM, Ford, Honda, Peugeot and more manufactures with both industries in Brazil and Argentina in code-share production.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > América Latina > Argentina > La Tanguería