HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 10:09 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
I'm not sure how ambitious they are, but for this to work properly, it's going to need one hell of a retrofit. It's a little too awkward of a space to really work as a gallery for contemporary art (which usually tends to be big and need a lot of airy space) so they will have to sink a ton of money into it if they want to do it right.

It will definitely be an interesting design challenge, but I still think something big like Mewata Armoury or CBE would have been better to work with.
What opened my eyes to the possibilities of the Planetarium was when I saw Body Worlds there. The thing I love about it is the way it's laid out presents many opportunities to surprise people. I remember at Body Worlds they had this plastinated dissected camel in the centre of this spiral ramp. As you ascended the ramp you could get a full 360 degree view of it.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 10:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
I wonder what the square footage is of the building? IIRC when it opened as the planetarium it had a 1500-2000 seat lecture hall on the lower floor. I wonder what the climate control is like, might be the largest challenge.
The total SF is about 57K sf. There was never a 1500-2000 seat lecture hall. It was more like 265 seats (but the number has been mis-quoted in articles several times over the last few years). Most of the SF is over two floors, but there is a small space on the third floor.

Lots of work required on this building on the inside. The washrooms were built later and intrude into some of the better spaces. The lecture hall, which was a full-on theatre, was converted to gallery space, and the dome, which would have been great gallery space, was converted into a theatre (which is when they needed to add the red and blue tack-ons for upper level exits).

The addition that used to house the children's museum is rediculous. It needs to be zapped, and perhaps that is where you add the glass gallery hall.

Rework of this building when the train was put in was really intrusive. They hacked off half of what made the building amazing. Whereas before the main entry was on the second grand level, now you come in to the basement spaces. What they need to do is create a new entry stairway that can join into where there is a East facing fire exit just by the tracks (IE facing 7th avenue head on). That may somewhat mitigate the thoughtless hack job.

Operating costs for this building will be substantial. Not only do they have to retrofit things like old elevators from the Flintstones era, you have to deal with a dome that isn't built like you'd do it now.

Lots of potential, but needs 10's of millions in reno to get the building up to snuff, and tack on major amounts for entry (hopefully onto the second level) and removing the children's museum for something more appropriate.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 10:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
What opened my eyes to the possibilities of the Planetarium was when I saw Body Worlds there. The thing I love about it is the way it's laid out presents many opportunities to surprise people. I remember at Body Worlds they had this plastinated dissected camel in the centre of this spiral ramp. As you ascended the ramp you could get a full 360 degree view of it.
Was that before or after they hacked on the entry (meaning now you enter from the dungeon)?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I think it will be an opportunity and a challenge for exactly that reason. It's a whacky space. I guess I'm just not sure if, as-is, they would be able to house a few Richard Serra-sized art pieces, or if they will be relegated to only smaller things. I would imagine they would have to really retrofit the space, or build on a sizable addition.

I guess it all depends on how big they want to go. But I would hope Calgary would take a "go big or go home" attitude with this. A contemporary art gallery for international-level shows is the biggest hole in this cities cultural scene. If they just want to slap on some paint and try to have a go, I think it would be a real shame.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 12:30 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
Was that before or after they hacked on the entry (meaning now you enter from the dungeon)?
That was coming in from the dungeon.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 4:39 AM
Fake News

Quote:
I think it will be an opportunity and a challenge for exactly that reason. It's a whacky space. I guess I'm just not sure if, as-is, they would be able to house a few Richard Serra-sized art pieces, or if they will be relegated to only smaller things. I would imagine they would have to really retrofit the space, or build on a sizable addition.

I guess it all depends on how big they want to go. But I would hope Calgary would take a "go big or go home" attitude with this. A contemporary art gallery for international-level shows is the biggest hole in this cities cultural scene. If they just want to slap on some paint and try to have a go, I think it would be a real shame.
I also hope they go with that attitude but honestly anything is a step up from nothing right now. I'm confident they'll push to do it right and with the amount of rich philanthropists in town they could get a much needed boost. I think this presents an opportunity for the city to do something truly unique in repurposing this cool building rather than building a super expensive starchitect's fantasy.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 6:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I'm not sure how ambitious they are, but for this to work properly, it's going to need one hell of a retrofit. It's a little too awkward of a space to really work as a gallery for contemporary art (which usually tends to be big and need a lot of airy space) so they will have to sink a ton of money into it if they want to do it right.

It will definitely be an interesting design challenge, but I still think something big like Mewata Armoury or CBE would have been better to work with.
How about poking a few holes through that roof?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 7:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
How about poking a few holes through that roof?
Maybe, but an additional challenge will be the heritage status. The c-train hack-job was done under the radar, but as soon as you have a new tenant come in, the heritage mafia converge. They'll not be able to do much with the exterior of the original building, but the children's museum tack-on is a huge opportunity to re-do in a much better way.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 7:40 PM

Awesome news. In the long run, the site will have a lot of potential, but success will depend on success on the area as nearby sites redevelop. I think a new entrance/connection to Millenium park would help. Perhaps there is room to collaborate for festivals and events...

By the way, are they still planning to rebuild the volleyball courts that used to be there? Are they rebuilt already?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 8:24 PM

Books everyone in Calgary should read

I was trying to think of books that are important to Southern Alberta and specifically good books about Calgary and region. I've never read 419, but I'm a fan of (the bus route, and) Will Ferguson's other work. I considered including Harry Sanders and Nellie McClung on my list, but I don't know if I've read anything absolutely vital by either. I've also read a ton of academic work from the area, but I'm not sure much of it is important for being written here. Please add other books you think are important. Here's my list:

1. Green Grass Running Water (1993) by Thomas King. Set in a fictional community on a Blackfoot reserve. From a literary standpoint, probably the most important book ever set in Alberta. It utilizes magical realism and traditional Aboriginal modes of storytelling to satire colonial narratives. Funny and accessible. Medicine River (1990) is also set locally and is equally awesome, but a follows a bit more of a structured, realist form. The Inconvenient Indian is on my shelf but is supposed to be good. If you like Thomas King, I might also recommend Robert Kroetsch, who wrote a few books in the 70's set in small towns in Central Alberta - also magical realism - such as What the Crow Said (1978).
2. Wonderful Life (1989) by Stephen J Gould. The story of how fossil discoveries at the Burgess Shale (Yoho National Park) revolutionized our knowledge of early life, the Cambrian explosion, and the history of earth. Pop science non fiction is hit or miss to me, but this book is definitely a hit, and I think its success lies in its honest portrayal of how contemporary academia processes a paradigm shift. The characters involved aren't just stiff scientists, but human beings, mentors and apprentices, each with their own peculiar habits, assumptions, and strengths.
3. Obasan (1981) by Joy Kawaga. The semi-autobiographical account of a Japanese internment camp survivor's family, as she moves from Vancouver to Slocan, BC, to Cecil, AB. Honestly, while the writing is fine, the important part of this book is the fact that it tells such an important part of our heritage that I did not know enough about.
4. Louis Riel: A Comic-Strip Biography (2003) by Chester Brown. This I loved. In fact, it completely changed my thoughts about what it means to be Canadian, something that I never expected a graphic novel to do. Hands down, this is the most balanced portrayal of Louis Riel I've ever read. Set mainly in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, London, and Ottawa, the events tangential to the Red River rebellion profoundly affected settlement across the prairies.

Ok, so none of these are directly set in Calgary. This is unacceptable. Please help.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 10:59 PM

The book Deadly Fall is set in Calgary. It is sitting on my bookshelf, keep meaning to get around to reading it.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
The book Deadly Fall is set in Calgary. It is sitting on my bookshelf, keep meaning to get around to reading it.
Thanks for the recommendation. Reading reviews for the book, apparently not only is it set in Calgary, but there are characters named "Callie" and "Gary".

Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 1:26 AM
Fake News

Wow didn't take long for this thread to be derailed. On a related note I wonder if we could get something like the concept we saw for the old CBE building.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 3:43 PM
BANNED

Setting up the metal structure for the big art piece at Barb Scott Park. Hear there's going to be a third interactive element - sound.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 3:46 PM
Here and There

How did I miss this??? Great news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
http://www.calgaryherald.com/enterta...888/story.html

Arts group chosen to turn old planetarium into a public art gallery

Contemporary Calgary, amalgam of three former galleries, selected to convert former science centre into a long-discussed public gallery

BY STEPHEN HUNT, CALGARY HERALD MARCH 7, 2014 11:59 AM

Contemporary Calgary has been chosen by the city from a group of applicants to repurpose the old planetarium downtown into a public gallery to feature the visual arts.

The organization - an amalgamation of the Art Gallery of Calgary, Museum of Contemporary Art Calgary and the Institute for Modern and Contemporary Art - received the good news that their request for proposal was selected by the city in a competition that sought ways to redevelop the planetarium with cultural, art or heritage uses.

“We are excited to work with Contemporary Calgary to begin to explore the possibilities of transforming the Planetarium into a future art gallery,” says Manager of Culture with City Recreation, Sarah Iley. “In the upcoming months, we will assess the proposal’s potential in greater detail.”

rest of article: http://www.calgaryherald.com/enterta...888/story.html

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 8:51 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Chinook Arc looking boss:

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 9:04 PM
Here and There

I like it.....but the initial artists rendering left out the fact that you would see all of the inner structure like that. The inner structure should have been more of a design element, rather than what you see here, which is just typical to the structural needs of the piece.

But, yes, this is definitely something nice for the neighbourhood and the passing cars.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 11:46 PM
Fake News

Agreed with KW.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 12:53 AM
BANNED

The initial renders had people walking underneath etc, but looks like there's not enough clearance in the final product. Would take away from the interactive element.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 2:13 AM

I'm also disappointed you can see the structure, but this thing is being built fairly cheap, so that's to be expected.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation