HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Hamilton Photos

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 9:25 PM

Flar: take pictures starting at the underpass (the center), down to Burlington St. Most of the houses on the last block are gone. The City bought them due to contamination. Will make for some great shots.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 1:06 AM

Is moving not an option? The market is up, even your property would have increased more than what you bought it for. On the upside you would not have a loss. Hamilton is the home of affordable housing.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 1:44 AM

I'm curious how bad the air quality would actually be living in these pockets.
Most factories have tall smokestacks so the smoke/ash/pollution doesn't drop down in their immediate backyard.

Living in the shadow of flaming smokestacks with closed schools and no stores or restaurants would be demoralizing but have any studies quantified how much worse the air there is compared to Rosedale / Downtown / the Mountain?

My grandfather born in 1918 grew up in the Brightside neighbourhood on Lancaster and on Leeds Street.
The family had chickens and a cow that he had to walk to Parkdale Ave for pasture.
He later lived on Norton St off Beach Road (back when Beach Road Meats was on Beach Road not Ottawa or Locke St.!).

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlstreet View Post
Is moving not an option? The market is up, even your property would have increased more than what you bought it for. On the upside you would not have a loss. Hamilton is the home of affordable housing.
The house next door was for sale and sat empty for so long home-less people were living there. They started a fire from a hot plate and it almost burned my house down too. Unbelievably they rebuilt the house and it eventually sold for next to nothing.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palace1 View Post
Most factories have tall smokestacks so the smoke/ash/pollution doesn't drop down in their immediate backyard.

Living in the shadow of flaming smokestacks with closed schools and no stores or restaurants would be demoralizing but have any studies quantified how much worse the air there is compared to Rosedale / Downtown / the Mountain?

My grandfather born in 1918 grew up in the Brightside neighbourhood on Lancaster and on Leeds Street.
The family had chickens and a cow that he had to walk to Parkdale Ave for pasture.
He later lived on Norton St off Beach Road (back when Beach Road Meats was on Beach Road not Ottawa or Locke St.!).
When you look at the air quality index on line or hear it on tv, it does not mention this area. Only Hamilton mountain and Hamilton downtown. I would love to know the air quality especially during spills at "the factory" which are way more often than people think.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 4:53 PM

I drove south on Kenilworth Ave from Barton on Wednesday and they have reduced the speed limit to 40 km/hr all the way to the access where it turns to 60 km/hr. I assume it is to slow down the rush hour speeders. Does anyone know the actual reason?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyiendda View Post
The house next door was for sale and sat empty for so long home-less people were living there. They started a fire from a hot plate and it almost burned my house down too. Unbelievably they rebuilt the house and it eventually sold for next to nothing.
So the neighbours has been rebuilt. So now ok and no longer a problem. I would stick a sign on that lawn of yours and see what out of towner buys it. You can buy all over this town for less than $150,000. A single person working a $23,000 a year could get approval for more. You'll be alright.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheastWind View Post
I drove south on Kenilworth Ave from Barton on Wednesday and they have reduced the speed limit to 40 km/hr all the way to the access where it turns to 60 km/hr. I assume it is to slow down the rush hour speeders. Does anyone know the actual reason?
Probably to slow down the traffic for pedestrians. IIRC, there aren't many places to cross the street safely.

I wonder what could be done to improve that commercial area? A five year tax moratorium for new businesses? Bury those ugly utility poles? Plant a few trees?

Actually they should plant more trees throughout Hamilton's inner city. They should also ban front driveways for any house that has back ally access. Replace driveways that take up the whole front yard with trees. It would help clean things up, it's pretty dusty in that end of town.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palace1 View Post
Multilocus DNA fingerprinting reveals high rate of heritable genetic mutation in herring gulls nesting in an industrialized urban site (Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Oct 1996)

Induced minisatellite germline mutations in herring gulls (Larus argentatus) living near steel mills (Mutation Research, Sept 2000)

Pulmonary histopathology in ring-billed gulls (Larus delawarensis) from colonies near steel mills and in rural areas (Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, May 2001)

Air pollution induces heritable DNA mutations (Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Aug 2002)

Do socioeconomic characteristics modify the short term association between air pollution and mortality? Evidence from a zonal time series in Hamilton, Canada (Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, Jan 2004)

Reduction of Particulate Air Pollution Lowers the Risk of Heritable Mutations in Mice (Science, May 2004)

Germ-line mutations, DNA damage, and global hypermethylation in mice exposed to particulate air pollution in an urban/industrial location (Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, June 2007)

Particulate Air Pollution and Inheritable Mutations in Mice: Possible Health Effects? (Discovery Medicine, June 2009)

Last edited by thistleclub; Jun 8, 2013 at 3:23 AM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 4:02 AM

It stuns me that we've put up with this, literally, in our backyard for so long. Will this city/ province ever grow a set of balls big and hairy enough to actually hold Hamilton's big polluters accountable? I know Dofasco is facing air quality charges but after decades of environmental degradation, it's not nearly enough.

Years ago I lived at Marina Towers at the foot of John St. The soot that accumulated on my balcony and all over my windows was disturbing (it was thick and greasy). I also had a bird's eye view of all the spills in the harbour - not an unusual sight at all. Prior to that I lived in a high rise in Corktown (near the escarpment). There were many days when the air quality was so poor I couldn't even see the harbour.

I've also lived in and visited many of Asia's great metropolises. Cities of countless millions. Squalid. Chaotic. Filthy. Seemingly unlivable. In terms of air quality, there are days when Hamilton could give the Bangkoks and Manilas of this world a run for their money.

Let's no pretend we don't have a serious problem right here at home. And let's not pretend that it isn't beneath our government to gloss over just how bad our air quality is.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 1:00 PM

I feel sick after reading thistleclub's links that were posted.

Last edited by Lyiendda; Jun 8, 2013 at 3:30 PM.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post

Actually they should plant more trees throughout Hamilton's inner city. They should also ban front driveways for any house that has back ally access. Replace driveways that take up the whole front yard with trees. It would help clean things up, it's pretty dusty in that end of town.
Hamilton has a free tree program, you can pick from a huge selection of options and they will have them planted in the fall. http://www.hamilton.ca/CityDepartmen...questForms.htm

Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pEte fiSt iN Ur fAce View Post
...Let's no pretend we don't have a serious problem right here at home. And let's not pretend that it isn't beneath our government to gloss over just how bad our air quality is.
pEte, you also wrote: "It stuns me that we've put up with this, literally, in our backyard for so long".

One upside of social media is its strength in getting the word out quickly. Those of us who use twitter, for example, could put the spotlight on this troubled neighbourhood in an instant.

But would that be welcomed by the residents?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 3:38 PM

One upside of social media is its strength in getting the word out quickly. Those of us who use twitter, for example, could put the spotlight on this troubled neighbourhood in an instant.

But would that be welcomed by the residents?[/QUOTE]

You would have to drive down Kenilworth Ave. north of center mall to see how few residents there actually are on this St. You could definitely put the spotlight on this area, but you would be going up against Dofasco, National Steel Car etc. We have contacted our MP's many times about noise, dust,
factory rats ,odours, and many more issues and were told this region is zoned Industrial/Residential and that they are doing all they could. If you turn up Grenfell, it is the same right up to Ottawa St. I can't speak for the rest of the residents, but for myself I would like to see it front page news.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 12:42 PM

It’s worth remembering that although one study population was located in an urban-industrial zone, the other was in a rural location 30 km away – that radius is basically the distance to Caledonia, Beamsville or Lowville. Easily half of the city’s population lives within 5km of the mills, and a third of Hamiltonians live in the lower city, which (thanks to the Niagara Escarpment) tends to be a basin of dirty air.

Particulate trends have apparently been declining fairly steadily over the last decade. One anomaly: With the resurgence of slumbering industry, sulphur dioxide has climbed in the last couple of years, particularly downtown. Hamilton apparently has the highest annual mean SO2 reading of Canadian cities.

City-wide, for every 100 non-trauma deaths, approximately 11 additional deaths are caused by air pollution. In the lower city, that number is generally higher, but varies – Clean Air Hamilton suggests it's around 13 in Kirkendall, 14 in McAnulty, 15 in the North West end, 17 in Strathcona, 18 in Wentworth North – and is below the city average near significant green space such as Delta and Red Hill, or along the base of the Escarpment.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 8:34 PM

I can still remember in the 1970's they had different light poles on the streets, and at Christmas time the entire street from Barton to Main would be decorate with lights and ornaments.....it was beautiful to drive down Kenilworth at Christmas time and it used to put down Ottawa street to shame because they did not decorate like that.

I grew up on Tragina Ave North, and often walked to the Centre Mall, stopping in at Pollock's groceries when the entire building was a grocery store, small, but clean and yes, old fashioned.....it's so sad to see what it is now.

As much as I HATE destruction of old buildings, I don't see anything worth saving there, and think it would be a great idea to raze a block and build low rise condos with shopping below....make beautiful store fronts and parking on the street to bring back people to shop and live there. That in itself would calm traffic a bit and make the core more livable. As for the north....I don't know what could be saved there....Does Sunshine Bakery still exist off Kenilworth? East Hamilton Radio used to have a beautiful store front, but looking at the photos posted it looks like a jail...start opening up the buildings again and encourage people to look, window shop, and walk in.

I live in Ottawa now, and see the same kind of destruction, but here they are also revitalizing tire neighbourhoods and rebuilding with shopping and intensification.....you now see people walkingon the sidewalks where no one walked or shopped before. I'm most saddened by the Centre Mall destruction.....it was Canada's first shopping centre, I would walk the entire mall to get everything....but the new layout is very pedestrian unfriendly and who wants to walk in snow and rain outside like they have to now?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 2:42 PM

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. It's hard to imagine Kenilworth being anything other than it is but there you go - so much of Hamilton has the same story. And to think that Centre Mall has actually been made worse! I never saw the mall in its prime. It had begun to fade somewhat by the time I started visiting.

Hamilton has slipped significantly from where it was not so long ago. I'm still not convinced we've turned the corner to recovery yet. City Council doesn't seem to understand what needs to be done and Hamiltonians, by and large, don't seem to care about the state of their city. Or perhaps they don't know what to do about it. There's still too much malaise, self-loathing and disparateness in the Hammer. Sorry - tangent.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 12:24 PM

Kenilworth Ave. N. reconstruction from Merchison Ave. to Burlington St. is starting this summer. It will start in July and run two years. It will include road and sidewalk construction and watermain replacement. Hopefully this house will have sold by then.
I am a senior and have seen a wonderful apt. in Stoney Creek with trees all around and park benches. I could actually breathe while I was out there.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 4:13 PM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pEte fiSt iN Ur fAce View Post
Thanks for the trip down memory lane. It's hard to imagine Kenilworth being anything other than it is but there you go - so much of Hamilton has the same story. And to think that Centre Mall has actually been made worse! I never saw the mall in its prime. It had begun to fade somewhat by the time I started visiting.

Hamilton has slipped significantly from where it was not so long ago. I'm still not convinced we've turned the corner to recovery yet. City Council doesn't seem to understand what needs to be done and Hamiltonians, by and large, don't seem to care about the state of their city. Or perhaps they don't know what to do about it. There's still too much malaise, self-loathing and disparateness in the Hammer. Sorry - tangent.
The city is doing what they are required to do by taking care of infrastructure. It's up to the property owners to develop the properties. There are always going to be parts of any city where work needs to be done. Neighbourhoods go through up and down cycles, Kenelworth will come back when the demand returns. Ottawa St, James N. and Locke St. are prime examples of being on high cycles after years of neglect and all of those revivals are a result of the property owners.

As for the rest of the city we are seeing record numbers of building permits being issued. You have to look at the big picture rather than just focusing on a few isolated areas.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 6:24 PM

[QUOTE=bigguy1231;6168479]The city is doing what they are required to do by taking care of infrastructure. It's up to the property owners to develop the properties.

I had 8 large trees in my yard, they are almost dead, covered in soot. The new paint on the outside of the house is black and I can't get it clean. Dofasco is directly across from my house on Kenilworth and they are using hydrochloric acid to strip the steel (pickle line). It is making us all ill. I am trying to sell and move away, I have been here 38 yrs. and one street over
23 yrs. No matter what we do to improve our homes and the surrounding area, we are fighting a losing battle. The wooden telephone pole in front of my home has been hit by lightning and repaired not replaced. The more we complain to the city and the factory the more we are ignored.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Hamilton Photos