HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 11:26 PM
Urban Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmcclassic View Post
I feel that their decision to close has nothing to do with the "downtown business environment" and more with their (lack of) ability to keep minors out.

As a Dal Commerce student, Thursday nights at the Pogue were huge and the place was always packed. Same goes for Friday and Saturday nights. Unless they simply just failed at running the bar, I can't see a lack of patrons being an issue.

With Pogue closing, Cheers/Dome will likely be the winner because of their Thursday student night (and $2.50 drinks!)
Yeah, I'm pretty tired of businesses citing the environment downtown as a reason for closure. There are plenty of thriving, creative businesses that prove that theory completely wrong.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 11:40 PM

sick of the "downtown business environment" excuse

pogue was usually busy on weekends

also ela used that excuse and then one partner took ownership over with plans to expand in NB business parks

and now other partner is opening FlipBurger in the space

Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 11:55 PM

Yeah. The owners of Ela cited the "business environment downtown" only to see the property snapped up by someone who wanted to invest in a big restoratoin project. If anything is succeeding downtown, it's dirty, dirty bars for 18 year olds.

(As an aside, I believe the building is eligible for a serious restoration credits that still haven't been used...I REALLY hope the owner isn't doing the slumlord wait-til-it's-condemned thing here.)

Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 1:11 PM

I was at the Pogue on Saturday night. Arrived around 1030 and it was pretty dead, but by 1130 it was almost packed upstairs, and very busy downstairs as well. Something more than the "downtown business environment" had to happen.

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 4:43 PM

http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...own-pogue-fado

Quote from the article:

Quote:
“We took a loss on every wing we sold and we were selling prime (beer) products at $3 a pop, which is below the operating costs,” Richard Stevens, one of the bar’s five co-owners, said Tuesday.

“The margins were so thin that it was difficult to make money. It got to the point where Thursdays were the only strong night of the week and soon, mathematically, it was a certainty that you can’t carry on with margins like that.”

The club enjoyed its heyday in 2008 and 2009, but Stevens said it has been all downhill since. The trickle-down effects of the recession and the lack of late-night transportation options for people living off of peninsular Halifax further cemented the club’s fate, Stevens said.

Although the student population soaked up all Pogue had to offer and lineups to get in were a regular sight, he said they were not the free-spending crowd a business on decline needs.

“Consumers, especially students, are always looking for the best value. If you look at the consumers, you want, say the 25 to 45 year old with a full-time job. Most of them are living in the suburbs, and there’s no public transportation to bring them in and get them home after hours.”

Stevens said he and his co-owners had “countless” meetings with Halifax Regional Municipality and lobby groups such as the Restaurant Association of Nova Scotia. He feels a perpetual lack of leadership has contributed to downtown Halifax’s demise.

“There’s no leadership politically when it comes to downtown. No one is stepping in and saying we need to fix things like public transportation or reorganize our cabs so they serve the customer.”

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
While I certainly think late-night transportation options need to be improved, I think it's pretty weak of the owner to blame that on their failure when the business model was selling product at a loss.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 11:30 PM
BUILD!

The space where G Lounge was on Grafton St. is currently under renovation. It will become a gastropub called The Stubborn Goat set to open this summer.

Site: http://www.stubborngoat.ca/

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmcclassic View Post
The space where G Lounge was on Grafton St. is currently under renovation. It will become a gastropub called The Stubborn Goat set to open this summer.

Site: http://www.stubborngoat.ca/
Now there's a tasty project!

Should be a perfect fit for that building. Thanks for posting this!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment