HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Looks like the crappy Holiday Inn on Canal is for sale. I'm assuming 601W will pick it up and combine it with the rest of that lot.

Chicago by air 4-26-19 by BartShore, on Flickr
Oh man, good RIDDANCE to that building and lot. Hope it becomes a sister site to the Old Post Office or something. I stayed there in 2002 as a wide-eyed ingenue staying in the big city, waiting for a train to St. Louis ...

I didn't like it then, and I don't like it now.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 2:42 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Chicago needs its own version of Grand Central Terminal/Penn Station.
Actually, the situations are pretty similar.
  • Union Station=Penn Station
  • Ogilvie=Grand Central
  • Millennium=Flatbush Ave
  • LaSalle=Hoboken
But as for One Central, Soldier Field and the Museum Campus are pretty minor destinations for suburban rail. The stadium is only full a few days each year, while the museum patrons arrive either by school bus or from Mag Mile hotels. How many total BNSF patrons each year are headed to this area? 5,000?

There's a case to be made for a C-shaped line that connects the West Loop stations to Streeterville/Navy Pier and the Museum Campus. You could do it merely by combining and reconfiguring the current 124 and 130 bus lines and using distinctive livery and marked bus lanes, or with a light rail or AGT line. But spending $2.3 billion to refocus a chunk of the region's transit on 16th & Indiana? How does that make any sense at all?

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
But as for One Central, Soldier Field and the Museum Campus are pretty minor destinations for suburban rail. The stadium is only full a few days each year, while the museum patrons arrive either by school bus or from Mag Mile hotels. How many total BNSF patrons each year are headed to this area? 5,000?
It isn’t only for BNSF riders. This would connect South Chicago(land) with West and North Chicago(land) at a popular destination. The Museum Campus, Soldier Field, McCormick Place, Wintrust Arena, Huntington Bank Pavilion, and the envisioned entertainment district in the South Loop would all be a short walk away. It may require a transfer from one line to another, but right now no such connection exists in this area.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 3:32 PM
The City

Quote:
Actually, the situations are pretty similar.
  • Union Station=Penn Station
  • Ogilvie=Grand Central
^ I don't think these comparisons are very accurate.

The connectivity between MTA/LIRR commuter rail and the NYC subway network provided by these 2 stations provide tremendous opportunities at synergy/hubbing of mass numbers of people.

Chicago still lacks something analogous. If the West Loop Transportation center plus a Clinton St Subway plus an east-west shuttle that connects Union/Ogilvie to an interconnected Block 37/Millennium station were ever to get built, then we will definitely have something of the same magnitude.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
Not to go "national politics" here but I think it's worth mentioning Trump and the Dems have begun negotiations on a $2TRILLION infrastructure improvement plan, and the initial meeting went well (which is saying something in todays political climate.) Could be an opporutnity for the state to get some big bucks for a project like this.

Yeah that plan isn't happening. The Minority House Whip (Scalise R-Louisiana) and the Senate Majority Leader (McConnell R-Kentucky) both stated that they wouldn't support any plan that either requires raising revenue or adds to the deficit. They're also heavily committed to increasing defense spending which is more than a quarter of the budget. That leaves Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid cuts as likely sources of "funding" given that the discretionary portion of the budget is already so lean that cuts there would be disastrous and in some ways counterproductive (cutting infrastructure spending to increase infrastructure spending).

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 5:29 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
The idea is that it connects a corner of the city that has a lot of visitors (soldier field, museum campus, mccormick+surrounding budding entertainment district) to the rest of Chicagoland. Right now it's either a long (and often windy and cold) walk or a car to get you to these places.
The problem is that the 18th St station is still a good 12-15min walk from the Field/Shedd and another few minutes to the Adler. Still frankly too long for most people to consider that a nice alternative for many months of the year. You may find that ridiculous but Americans (people?) are generally lazy and out of shape and don't want to walk through semi-miserable to downright miserable conditions to get where they are going much of the year. Unless if a transit stop is built literally within a few hundred feet away I fear any transit stop will be highly underutilized. Buses/trams are the best way to potentially connect to the Museum Campus. And Bears games (and major events) at Soldier Field are less than 25 events per year. This plan looks to dwarf Wrigleville which has nearly x4 the events per year so right away the math doesn't seem to add up.

As serene and idyllic as the Museum campus is in retrospect all the Museum should have probably been built on the west edge of Grant Park like the Art Institute and have their back lawns open up to the east side of the park. It would have provided for high accessibility to the city but still allowed for expansion and a green setting. Oh well.

Last edited by nomarandlee; May 2, 2019 at 9:56 PM.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 6:00 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
It isn’t only for BNSF riders. This would connect South Chicago(land) with West and North Chicago(land)
How, exactly? Via what services?

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
As serene and idyllic as the Museum campus is in retrospect all the Museum should have probably been built on the west edge of Grant Park like the Art Institute and have their back lawns open up to the east side of the park. It would have provided for high accessibility to the city but still allowed for expansion and a green setting. Oh well.
That sound you just heard was the heads of the Friends of the Parks exploding.

I agree that the 146 is the best way to Museum Campus, but actually the walk from the Museum Campus/11th Metra stop is not that long (certainly less than 18th street) mostly through parkland and quite pleasant.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 9:12 PM

Quote:
How, exactly? Via what services?
Metra Electric and the South Shore Line actually have capacity. Whole south side of the city is underappreciated partially because of poorer access. Direct links into CTA, Amtrak, etc would matter.

Also Solider Field with direct transit access could do a lot more events a year than it does today. Not to mention northerly island and the rest of the museum campus.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 12:01 AM
All-American City Boy

Someone is selling ornaments from the old Mercantile Exchange Building?

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/a...857447829.html

&

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/a...857073031.html

How would someone even get access to that material?
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 12:46 AM
Show me the blueprints

Wow!

The person does claim they "purchased" them on-site during the demolition. Who knows. It could very well be a construction worker from that job or someone a contruction worker sold these to after he walked off with them.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 1:02 AM

1525 N Elston. 6 story office/commercial building. This is right near the now former Stanley's produce market near North Ave. Architect is Filoramo Talsma Architecture. Building permit for the foundation was issued a few days ago. Looks like some people are starting to maybe do some small (but not too small) developments near this - mentions Lincoln Yards. The developer is Alexander Pearsall, who also wants to re-develop a vacant (since 2004) 71,000 sq ft property at 1765 N Elston just up the road. He owns a bit of property in the area I think.

I'm not sure if this is a different building next to it or the same. It's tagged as 1521 N Elston - same architects. I'm guessing it's the same, but who knows

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 1:24 AM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiram View Post
Metra Electric and the South Shore Line actually have capacity. Whole south side of the city is underappreciated partially because of poorer access. Direct links into CTA, Amtrak, etc would matter.
I'm aware. Metra Electric has been hemorrhaging ridership. But they already have links to CTA at Millennium, and to the very same Amtrak routes at Homewood. Nothing about this scheme advances fare integration or pays for adding any service on Metra, on Amtrak, or even on CTA.

When you get right down to it, this is a guy who wants the state to build a new CTA spur just so he can open some sports bars next to Soldier Field. Is that really the business the state should be in? The place for a multimodal transit hub is at Union Station, not at 16th & Indiana.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 3:16 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Wow!

The person does claim they "purchased" them on-site during the demolition. Who knows. It could very well be a construction worker from that job or someone a contruction worker sold these to after he walked off with them.
I've now seen more links for stuff this individual has and it's from other demolished buildings around the city. I wonder if they are a private collector, a dealer, or someone who had access to these sites in another way. I'd ask but I'm not sure I'd get a straight answer if it happened on a "down low" situation.

Quote:
I'm aware. Metra Electric has been hemorrhaging ridership. But they already have links to CTA at Millennium, and to the very same Amtrak routes at Homewood. Nothing about this scheme advances fare integration or pays for adding any service on Metra, on Amtrak, or even on CTA.

When you get right down to it, this is a guy who wants the state to build a new CTA spur just so he can open some sports bars next to Soldier Field. Is that really the business the state should be in? The place for a multimodal transit hub is at Union Station, not at 16th & Indiana.
The government should indeed be very careful with who they financially support, and I'm not making an argument for or against this particular project. But increasing public transit options right there downtown, as well as being onsite for this new little mini city can't be a bad thing right?
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 4:27 AM

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...501-story.html

Proposed One Central megadevelopment by Soldier Field seeks state funds for $3.8 billion transit center

Ryan OriRyan Ori
Contact ReporterChicago Tribune

Quote:
The developer proposing a row of skyscrapers on a platform over train tracks near Soldier Field wants Illinois taxpayers to help pay for, and eventually own, a $3.8 billion transit center that would anchor the proposed megadevelopment.

But winning approval in the state legislature won’t be so easy, and that is just one of many hurdles that the ambitious project faces. Adding urgency is that the developer sees a narrow window for all the facets of the project — legislative approval, financing, economic conditions, not to mention support of the local alderman — to line up.

Already, Landmark Development has talked with the office of Gov. J.B. Pritzker and other state officials about a public-private agreement to pay for the huge transit station that would be part of a 34-acre platform over train tracks between McCormick Place and the Field Museum, Landmark president Bob Dunn said Wednesday.

Under the proposed financing plan, the developer and investors would pay the upfront construction costs for the transit center, which is expected to take three years to build.

Quote:
Creation of the transit center would bring together CTA, Metra and Amtrak trains, while also creating the platform on which Landmark would build up to 20 million square feet of new office, residential and hotel high-rises, as well as other buildings.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 1:25 PM

1525 N. Elston almost looks like it has a stainless steel façade?? Rather interesting design. Frank Gehry would like it if it does

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
uptown's gentrification really picking up steam at this point
I have my doubts about how far it’ll go. Did any of Chicago’s gentrified neighborhoods have Uptown’s level of violent crime prior to gentrifying?

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 2:08 PM

Does anyone have a link to a site that indicates whether MWRD had to release sewage during the recent rainfall? I know we were chatting about that in one of the Chicago threads and I think they were able to avoid a release. Pretty impressive since this is the wettest week in 2.5 years. Three days of sunshine this weekend to let everyone dry out and enjoy the weather (and catch up on their wastewater processing)!

Anyone know how long it takes MWRD to drain the the reservoirs operating the treatment plants at full blast?

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 2:14 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjp View Post
I have my doubts about how far it’ll go. Did any of Chicago’s gentrified neighborhoods have Uptown’s level of violent crime prior to gentrifying?
Did any of them have Uptown’s level of cultural attractions or lakefront location? Different neighborhoods change at different rates for different reasons. Just take a trip thtough Uptown and the gentrification is pretty obvious.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Does anyone have a link to a site that indicates whether MWRD had to release sewage during the recent rainfall? I know we were chatting about that in one of the Chicago threads and I think they were able to avoid a release. Pretty impressive since this is the wettest week in 2.5 years. Three days of sunshine this weekend to let everyone dry out and enjoy the weather (and catch up on their wastewater processing)!

Anyone know how long it takes MWRD to drain the the reservoirs operating the treatment plants at full blast?
http://istheresewageinthechicagoriver.com

This pulls from available MWRD data.

They were able to avoid releasing into the lake but there was a large event with at least 75 outfalls active Tuesday when I looked. TARP however ran out of capacity at least in the mainstream segment, the McCook reservoir Phase I while very helpful is not nearly large enough to meet our needs. I'm skeptical even the Phase II that's supposed to come online in 2029 (!) is enough. Time to look for more capacity sooner and more local ways to keep stormwater out of the system.

I think it takes MWRD 4 or 5 days to empty the system assuming dry weather IIRC.

In related news the Albany Park stormwater diversion tunnel functioned perfectly again.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development