HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Demolition has started for the redevelopment at the SE corner of Broadway & Foster in northern Uptown.

Cedar Street is getting real busy. I had a feeling the bank building would sell with Bridgeview being acquired. It would be a great hotel and the Uptown Entertainment district could use one.

Also, on the Cedar Street front, those buildings pictured above are now gone.

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 7:19 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
NIMBYism takes a dramatic turn:

Ald. Walter Burnett Storms Out Of Meeting With West Loop Residents After Getting Asked About Developer Donations

“I try to respect folks, but I’m not going to stand there and be disrespected because they feel entitled to a view," the alderman told Block Club Chicago.
Wow, I just gained a new respect for Burnett. He might be my favorite Alderman right now (not hard--my standards are already low).

But the irony is just overwhelming, and he is correct to point it out. He really did go to bat for Illume, and the condo building next to that project made the exact same claims and recommendations (see bolded part below) as the Illume residents are doing today. It's like people are just pre-programmed to turn into NIMBYs as soon as they move into their condos:

Quote:
Illume residents said their opposition to the project, which would extend between Peoria and Green streets, had nothing to do with views and instead had to do with the blockage of light, privacy and safety concerns.

Jeremiah Bickham, a resident of another building alongside the proposed development, said he was “disheartened” by the walkout. “Burnett is known to be developer friendly, but he’s also known to be pragmatic.”

Bickham was hoping by residents coming together in large numbers they could make a compelling case against the proposed development.

Bickham said Burnett needed to prioritize the needs of residents over developers.

“It’s ironic that he chose the word selfish because there is nothing more selfish than shoehorning … in an awkward development … that has negative externalities on the community for the benefit of a few,” Bickham said.

Bickham said the developer should consider a commercial retail or community amenity at the narrow property.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 7:33 PM

Quote:

Ald. Walter Burnett Storms Out Of Meeting With West Loop Residents After Getting Asked About Developer Donations

“I try to respect folks, but I’m not going to stand there and be disrespected because they feel entitled to a view," the alderman told Block Club Chicago.
Mad respect for the guy. I just hope this doesn't come back to bite him in the butt later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjp View Post
They also bought the parking lot next door.
Also good to hear about the parking lot. I bet it could support a long, skinny 3 floor building, even with a setback from the red line viaduct.

Hypothetically, would it be possible to shut down that stretch of Clifton Avenue to build on as well, such that the developers could construct a continuous streetwall along that portion of Broadway and Lawrence? I know it would also involve negotiating with Bridgeview since they have that awful drive thru branch in the back, but for now I'm just wondering about the public ROW. Having spent a lot of time exploring on google maps it seems that there a lot of really random tiny stretches of useless ROW easements that could make nice opportunities to develop and improve the pedestrian experience.

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpacaObsessor View Post
Also good to hear about the parking lot. I bet it could support a long, skinny 3 floor building, even with a setback from the red line viaduct.

Hypothetically, would it be possible to shut down that stretch of Clifton Avenue to build on as well, such that the developers could construct a continuous streetwall along that portion of Broadway and Lawrence? I know it would also involve negotiating with Bridgeview since they have that awful drive thru branch in the back, but for now I'm just wondering about the public ROW. Having spent a lot of time exploring on google maps it seems that there a lot of really random tiny stretches of useless ROW easements that could make nice opportunities to develop and improve the pedestrian experience.
The parking lot is being used for temporary staging for the red line rebuild and then permanent air rights (though this would likely be minor).

My bet is they'll bide time with the current tenants until RPM is done and the Uptown theater is open again- then petition to decommission Clifton and add on to/convert the Building.

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 11:04 PM

^^^Good for Burnett. Although I am curious how much of a donation was made, if any. Those two concepts are not mutually exclusive. The newly-NIMBY neighbors are definitely being hypocrites, but that does not necessarily mean Burnett didn't accept donations from this developer for favorable help in gaining approval. This is Chicago after all...

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 12:08 AM

^My understanding is that this developer did not donate any money to Burnett... regardless, Burnett has already stated that if they did donate in some way, he will return the money...

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 12:49 AM

West Loop condo owners are maybe the only people as bad as LP single family owners. I was one once upon a time so I should know.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Nice!

Demo and upgrade the density. Plus it's luxury units, which will gentrify Uptown further. Badly needed. Good for the neighborhood, good for the city
Find a vacant lot for that... Too much of the old shit is getting demoed for mediocrity.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Find a vacant lot for that... Too much of the old shit is getting demoed for mediocrity.
The previous building was an unremarkable small house with the original features stripped and replaced by crappier new brick and a front porch or sun room tacked on. This is an upgrade.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 3:14 AM

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...p-mega-project

May 01, 2019 05:16 PM UPDATED 3 HOURS AGO

Developer pitches TIF-free plan for South Loop mega-project

Since city tax-increment financing has become politically radioactive, the company behind this plan to transform 20 million square feet of land next to Soldier Field into a new neighborhood is seeking $3.8 billion from the state to pay for needed transit and infrastructure instead. Will it fly?

ALBY GALLUN

Quote:
A Wisconsin developer that wants to build a huge mixed-use complex across from Soldier Field wants to create an unusual partnership with the State of Illinois to finance construction of a $3.8 billion transit center and infrastructure within the South Loop project.

Linking Metra, CTA and Amtrak rail lines, the transit center would be the centerpiece of One Central, a 34-acre project that Landmark Development plans to build over train tracks just west of the football stadium. Landmark unveiled preliminary plans for the project in March but offered no specifics then on how it would pay for the transit center or the public infrastructure needed to support the project.

Rather than asking the City of Chicago for tax-increment financing (TIF), a controversial funding tool recently approved for big projects like Lincoln Yards and the 78, Landmark wants to cut a deal with the state. Under its plan, Landmark would finance the $3.8 billion transit hub and infrastructure cost itself, said Robert Dunn, president of Madison, Wis.-based Landmark.

The state would make equity payments over a period of 20 or more years to cover the full cost of the property, which it would then own. “You’re investing in an asset that creates massive economic lift and appreciates over time,” Dunn said.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 3:44 AM
Metal Up Your !

From what seems to be huge developer interest, rightfully so being such a huge development, it will net Chicago a new landmark(s).

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 4:08 AM
Urbane observer

^Pretty sure we learned from Block 37 that you can't have a multistory building open to the lower-level trainroom like that.

But the part everyone seems to just keep skipping over is what the hell would be the point of this mythical transit hub? BNSF riders want to go downtown, not to 16th & Indiana. Same with Orange Line riders, Amtrak riders, Metra Electric riders. Just because you own land next to a railroad doesn't mean you can magically create a new CBD there.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 4:18 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:

Good! I'm glad, in this case at least, the Alderman stood up to the crowd and chastised them for being a bunch of abject hypocrites!

Don't get me wrong, I believe any large proposal should have public meetings to discuss plans, proposals and such, namely because public input really can lead to better developments on occasion. But in situations like this, where residents of a building that was hotly disputed in its own right, really have no room to complain about another nearby development. Screw 'em.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 4:26 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
^Pretty sure we learned from Block 37 that you can't have a multistory building open to the lower-level trainroom like that.

But the part everyone seems to just keep skipping over is what the hell would be the point of this mythical transit hub? BNSF riders want to go downtown, not to 16th & Indiana. Same with Orange Line riders, Amtrak riders, Metra Electric riders. Just because you own land next to a railroad doesn't mean you can magically create a new CBD there.
I'm not entirely sure this is really true, Mr. Downtown. Having a major transit center literally adjacent to Soldier Field and the Museum Campus would be a huge asset, especially for tourists as well as anyone not working in the center of the Loop. It could also potentially lead to additional service along/near Michigan Ave, perhaps? Regardless, such a massive development would certainly require a large transit center to begin with, why not have it fully integrated and essentially seamless as well?

Of course I think the chances of this happening are close to zero, especially given the State's financial situation, so this is all really just an educational exercise to begin with. Heh

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 4:43 AM
THAT Guy

Looks like the crappy Holiday Inn on Canal is for sale. I'm assuming 601W will pick it up and combine it with the rest of that lot.

Chicago by air 4-26-19 by BartShore, on Flickr

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 1:33 PM

Quote:

Yeah nobody goes to Soldier Field, McCormick Place, or the Museum Campus. No one would ever take transit there!

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 2:02 PM
The City

^ It all boils down to the state of commuter rail in the region. What's the point of building a transit hub when a large proportion of the region's commuter rail doesn't go down there?

Chicago needs its own version of Grand Central Terminal/Penn Station. Instead, we continue to have this disconnected array of commuter termini and none of them really benefits entirely from the synergy of having access to potentially 9.5 million people.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Looks like the crappy Holiday Inn on Canal is for sale. I'm assuming 601W will pick it up and combine it with the rest of that lot.

Chicago by air 4-26-19 by BartShore, on Flickr
Along with the even more crappy stuff that extends West down Harrison for the rest of that block along with the ugly parking lot??

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 2:21 PM

Quote:

The idea is that it connects a corner of the city that has a lot of visitors (soldier field, museum campus, mccormick+surrounding budding entertainment district) to the rest of Chicagoland. Right now it's either a long (and often windy and cold) walk or a car to get you to these places.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
I'm not entirely sure this is really true, Mr. Downtown. Having a major transit center literally adjacent to Soldier Field and the Museum Campus would be a huge asset, especially for tourists as well as anyone not working in the center of the Loop. It could also potentially lead to additional service along/near Michigan Ave, perhaps? Regardless, such a massive development would certainly require a large transit center to begin with, why not have it fully integrated and essentially seamless as well?

Of course I think the chances of this happening are close to zero, especially given the State's financial situation, so this is all really just an educational exercise to begin with. Heh

Aaron (Glowrock)
Not to go "national politics" here but I think it's worth mentioning Trump and the Dems have begun negotiations on a $2TRILLION infrastructure improvement plan, and the initial meeting went well (which is saying something in todays political climate.) Could be an opporutnity for the state to get some big bucks for a project like this.

The plan could be a longshot but it's great they are htinking outside the box considering TIFs are so radioactive. While the state may not have the money at the moment, this does seem like a negotiation in good faith and not the developer trying to pull one over on tax payers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development