HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stutteringpunk View Post
50k square feet, bigger than what I was anticipating!

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawd View Post
50k square feet, bigger than what I was anticipating!
But unfortunately, pretty underwhelming compared to other recently built facilities. For example, Lakers is 120K and Kings is 80K

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
But unfortunately, pretty underwhelming compared to other recently built facilities. For example, Lakers is 120K and Kings is 80K
Suns were never going to have the largest facility in the league... never even close. Heck, the University of Arizona has had better basketball facilities than the Suns for YEARS.

I was at the Clippers training facility few months ago, and it's a great size at only 40k. Offices, lounges, gym, two full courts, kitchen, etc. You really don't need much more than that for a basketball squad.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Suns were never going to have the largest facility in the league... never even close. Heck, the University of Arizona has had better basketball facilities than the Suns for YEARS.

I was at the Clippers training facility few months ago, and it's a great size at only 40k. Offices, lounges, gym, two full courts, kitchen, etc. You really don't need much more than that for a basketball squad.
I totally get what you’re saying but in order to attract big FAs, huge practice facilities may do the trick to compete with bigger markets. But I’m still happy one is getting built!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 7:28 PM

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 1:09 AM

Hopefully this just means HKS Architects will be leading Chase Field renovation efforts

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...rm/1447223001/

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 4:32 AM

I will stick with my original prediction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Hopefully this just means HKS Architects will be leading Chase Field renovation efforts

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...rm/1447223001/
They are Tribe/North Scottsdale Bound. I to would hope they would stay in downtown Phoenix but I just don't think it is going to happen.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 4:55 AM

You have to admit Galvin and Van Buren would be pretty cool. Put home plate on the corner and you could have the red rocks in the outfield view.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 2:46 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
They are Tribe/North Scottsdale Bound. I to would hope they would stay in downtown Phoenix but I just don't think it is going to happen.
Well. I guess that's the only way they are going to get a new stadium. The voters sure in hell aren't going to fund them a new one.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 4:45 PM

I still doubt they'll leave downtown. They Cant even leave for 6 years contractually and if they do so be it, I really dont like the cities paying for sports stadiums, although I'd bet that the City gives them several hundred million and the Dbacks will stay just like the Suns.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 5:59 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I still doubt they'll leave downtown. They Cant even leave for 6 years contractually and if they do so be it, I really dont like the cities paying for sports stadiums, although I'd bet that the City gives them several hundred million and the Dbacks will stay just like the Suns.
Maricopa's new agreement allows them to leave by 2022 if they chose too which is not realistic to get a new stadium built. But they can have a new one ready by 2023 or 2024. Either way, I agree. They need to stay Downtown and I think the attendance will not be as good way out by Talking Stick. Filling a 11,000 seat spring training facility is not the same as filling 27,000+ regular season games.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
You have to admit Galvin and Van Buren would be pretty cool. Put home plate on the corner and you could have the red rocks in the outfield view.
I could get on board with Galvin & Van Buren! Good, strong location. Heck, anything on Galvin is a winner in my book!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 12:53 AM

Quote:
I could get on board with Galvin & Van Buren! Good, strong location. Heck, anything on Galvin is a winner in my book!
The traffic would be way too insane, but the setting would be killer. I'm hoping HKS helps renovate the best professional sports venue in AZ - Chase Field.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 4:21 AM

Neighborhood mailer with info on the Suns' practice facility.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Suns_Redd...52507286065152

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 5:30 PM

This practice facility development seems like the perfect plan... Great facility, great location (lots of players live in PV or scottsdale, I'd imagine), etc..

It's funny though, why can't they develop their team and construct their roster in the same positive way?

Nice little FAQ in that flyer about funding of the facility. They say it's privately funded with no tax dollars. Technically true, but they wouldn't have done this without it being a requirement of getting the tax dollars for the arena renovations. Which, by the way, I'm fine with.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 5:35 PM

I believe the team is being constructed the right way. James Jones has made a lot of great hires and the team has a clear direction, everything lately has been a positive. I'm excited for the future of the team.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 5:56 PM

Quote:
I believe the team is being constructed the right way. James Jones has made a lot of great hires and the team has a clear direction, everything lately has been a positive. I'm excited for the future of the team.
We'll see. Sarver is the underlying problem of everything since Jerry sold (even if Sarver got lucky at the beginning with the 2nd Nash years). Unless he completely bows out and has zero involvement in anything (except writing checks) starting now moving forward, I don't feel confident in anything having to do with the Suns.

I do like the Monty Williams hire, but I'm not sure about James Jones. Until we see what they do in free agency, I can't say they have a clear direction (let alone a good direction). The draft night moves were certainly questionable. Maybe it'll work out.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic. The draft and trades around the draft seem to give an indication of their priorities--upperclassmen shooters and real NBA players that can improve the team that is still built around Booker/Ayton/Bridges. Free Agency will be really interesting to see if they try to hit a home run with Russell/Brogdon types, or if they settle for less and take a more "slow and steady" approach.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 7:23 PM

Sarver has assured both James Jones and Monty Williams that he is staying out of it and so far he has. I don't think there was anything questionable about draft night, they're not gambling on high risk high reward players anymore. The focus is on NBA ready young talent or experienced veterans.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Sarver has assured both James Jones and Monty Williams that he is staying out of it and so far he has. I don't think there was anything questionable about draft night, they're not gambling on high risk high reward players anymore. The focus is on NBA ready young talent or experienced veterans.
Maybe he has stayed out, but will he continue to? And it's more about the culture and company he's created. For many reasons Phoenix isn't high on the free agency list of players (it used to be), one of them being the ingrained thought and experiences of terrible ownership.

I understand they types of players they're getting, but it's how they're getting them and the moves they're making in the grand scheme of things. Could've gotten Johnson much lower by trading down and grabbing another asset(s) (maybe they tried but they didn't succeed if they did). Also, they traded TJ Warren in an obvious salary dump, but then traded to take on Baynes and BACK into the 1st round which will count against their cap (??). Seems like they're definitely mismanaging their assets and cap room, that's the questionable part.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest