HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Vancouver House in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 5:14 PM

Smile ^interesting, great photos

interesting pictures of the building going up from different angles ...plus a question, please. In the last three photos, you look down to the right and focus on an empty lot. Why? Early signs of future development, might I presume ...

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
interesting pictures of the building going up from different angles ...plus a question, please. In the last three photos, you look down to the right and focus on an empty lot. Why? Early signs of future development, might I presume ...
That site is addressed as 601 Beach Avenue. It was part of the Concord Pacific site that was sold to the City of Vancouver for non-market housing in 1999. The City in turn sold it to Pinnacle in late 2016 for them to submit a rezoning to include market and non-market housing. The City had to be very careful to ensure that the rezoning is not a foregone conclusion, but there are higher building policies that identify the site as suitable for a tower to have a similar height to Vancouver House to provide a 'gateway'.

Concord Pacific sued the City earlier last year because they argued that the City could only build non-market housing here. That court case hasn't been heard yet, and it's not clear if Concord have dropped it, or reached an agreement with the City, but the sale to Pinnacle was in November 2016, after Concord sued.

The deal is quite complex - here's what's on the City's website: "Financial details
•$20 million: base purchase price
•$44.5 million (estimated): design, financing, and development costs to provide the “turnkey” 152 affordable housing units to the City of Vancouver
•An adjustment price of $365 per every additional buildable square foot above the current zoning that may be approved as part of a future rezoning and development of the property. For example: •If 200,000 additional buildable square feet were approved at rezoning, the adjustment price would be an additional $73-million payment to the City of Vancouver
•If 350,000 additional buildable square feet were approved at rezoning, the adjustment price would be an additional $127.75-million payment to the City of Vancouver

These amounts are only examples and the actual amount of the adjustment price will depend on the approval of an application to rezone the property for future development, which is subject to a public hearing."

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 9:34 PM

My pic Aug 1st

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 2:24 AM

Quote:
We live right next door to the empty lot in Azura 2 and it is not the beginning of anything for Pinnacle. Vancouver House is using it as a parking area for their workmen and as staging area, presumably for the phase of the project which calls for commercial business property under the Granville Bridge. The land under the bridge has been scraped clean and some digging has begun on the side closest to the tower.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 4:05 AM

Quote:

Tommyrey had a question earlier in this thread about the site(s) to the east of the Seymour ramp and Granville Bridge so I thought I would take some pics while I was on the bridge. They're not part of the Vancouver House development (other than part of it being used as a temporary staging area now) so maybe the discussion could continue in the Downtown Vancouver Updates thread? I dug up some older informative posts from officedweller last year that might also help shed some light on what's happening with these sites.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...12#post7885912

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 1:11 AM
Ex-Banker. R/E Insider

Are there anything higher than 30 story South of Vancouver House?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 4:38 AM

No. Actually just Marine Gateway at 35 stories. But that's far far south.

Last edited by Vin; Aug 10, 2017 at 5:11 AM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 5:08 AM

Marine drive gateway?

Unless I misunderstood the question.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 7:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyboxInvestment View Post
Are there anything higher than 30 story South of Vancouver House?
Most of the towers between Pacific Boulevard and False Creek are technically south of Vancouver House. So probably a dozen or so downtown... The Charleson would probably be the tallest building south of Vancouver House.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancanadian View Post
Most of the towers between Pacific Boulevard and False Creek are technically south of Vancouver House. So probably a dozen or so downtown... The Charleson would probably be the tallest building south of Vancouver House.
I guess. "technically".

There should definitely be buildings taller than 30 floors on the Fairview Slops, West Broadway and Kits side.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 9:12 PM

I think his question was an obtuse way of asking -
are there any towers blocking views from the 30th floor of Vancouver House?

The taller tower of 888 Beach comes to mind (low 30s?)
Discovery Place is maybe 23 floors.
1000 Beach is probably in the high 20s.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post
^From what I recall, Westbank tried to buy the corner lot from the owner at the time- Black Top Cabs, five or six years ago. They couldn't reach agreement and Black Top eventually sold to an investor from Hong Kong who has owned it since.

I haven't heard of any development plans and I'm not sure what you can even build on such a small lot.

The City should not have permitted that lot to become orphaned, but they were partnering with Ian Gillespie on the land deal next door and wanted to move forward with his plan.
Somebody working for the construction company told me that $14 million was not enough money to get the Hong Kong owner to let go of that old gas station corner lot at Beach & Howe.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 12:56 AM

Here's the supervisor on duty, keeps a sharp eye out and leaves some fresh fertilizer to boot!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 12:59 AM

My pic Aug 14th

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 4:50 AM

Now that is an imposing, impressive structure.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 7:17 PM

Pic by me today:

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 6:11 PM

My pics Aug.14

New used car dealer under the bridge
A bit of chaos as well...

Aug.16

New security detail:

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 1:23 AM

This will definitely become the best tower in Vancouver, in my opinion

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 12:37 AM

From few weeks ago.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 7:07 PM

I just realized this morning that I will be able to see Vancouver House from my apartment at Robson and Homer.

Aug.26 '17, my pics

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver