HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 9:08 PM
Community Guy

JW Marriott

Raise your glasses to our drink specials
available at The Lobby Bar

HAPPY HOUR
daily from 3pm to 6pm and 9pm to close
$6 draught beer
$7 glasses of wine on tap
$8 select cocktails

MARTINI MONDAYS
$10 gin or vodka martinis

TUESDAYS ON TAP
$6 16oz Miller or Miller Lite

WINE WEDNESDAYS
half-priced bottles of select wine

ROSÉ THURSDAYS
half-priced bottles of select rosé

FANCY FRIDAYS & SATURDAYS
$10 5oz glass of Zonin Prosecco Brut
specially priced bottles of sparkling wine & Champagne

SIP AWAY SUNDAYS
$6 Caesars & mimosas

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 4:12 AM
Community Guy

Uccellino - Tagliatelle L’Ancetre Butter, Sage & Grana

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg/status/1154242784976441344
@ianoyeg

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 9:06 PM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
JW Marriott

Raise your glasses to our drink specials
available at The Lobby Bar

HAPPY HOUR
daily from 3pm to 6pm and 9pm to close
$6 draught beer
$7 glasses of wine on tap
$8 select cocktails

MARTINI MONDAYS
$10 gin or vodka martinis

TUESDAYS ON TAP
$6 16oz Miller or Miller Lite

WINE WEDNESDAYS
half-priced bottles of select wine

ROSÉ THURSDAYS
half-priced bottles of select rosé

FANCY FRIDAYS & SATURDAYS
$10 5oz glass of Zonin Prosecco Brut
specially priced bottles of sparkling wine & Champagne

SIP AWAY SUNDAYS
$6 Caesars & mimosas
When do they open?
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 9:10 PM
Community Guy

August 1st, but they have been doing soft openings of place... so perhaps a bit sooner?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 1:43 AM

So far I love Edmonton. The people here are super nice. But why oh why is food so expensive here. Toronto has hundreds of cheap eats. Even coffee is expensive here. I miss Toronto's food scene (the only thing I truly miss). Hopefully the situation is gonna change in the near future.

I thought Taste of Edmonton was good but again expensive.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 3:59 PM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh View Post
So far I love Edmonton. The people here are super nice. But why oh why is food so expensive here. Toronto has hundreds of cheap eats. Even coffee is expensive here. I miss Toronto's food scene (the only thing I truly miss). Hopefully the situation is gonna change in the near future.

I thought Taste of Edmonton was good but again expensive.
Groceries are always going to be more expensive. That is a product of the distance from major markets and growing areas. As for meals, sure, I feel that. But it comes with the offset of higher disposable incomes (generally, for the middle class) and less housing expenses.

Taste of Edmonton is always going to be that way. It is a way to sample a bunch of different places, not fill up on cheap food. Go in expecting to pay $30-40 per person and it's a nice evening to enjoy.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid_business View Post
Taste of Edmonton is always going to be that way. It is a way to sample a bunch of different places, not fill up on cheap food. Go in expecting to pay $30-40 per person and it's a nice evening to enjoy.
IMO, festivals like these should be accessible to everyone. I might be ok with $30 - $40 but not everyone can afford it. $6 to $7 dollars per sample is excessive (also $9 beer). $20 to sample 5 items would have been more reasonable. I enjoyed the event though.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 5:49 AM

Quote:
IMO, festivals like these should be accessible to everyone. I might be ok with $30 - $40 but not everyone can afford it. $6 to $7 dollars per sample is excessive (also $9 beer). $20 to sample 5 items would have been more reasonable. I enjoyed the event though.
I'm not sure ToE is exactly sitting on a pile of cash. This isn't a small feat to put on and there's also free entertainment that comes with your tickets.

With somewhere between 300,000 and 350,000 visitors over the festival duration, overall that's pretty accessible.

It's easy to say it should be cheaper, but it's an event. Events have a premium price, if you want the best deal go to these restaurants one at a time on a day they have their best specials. But that comes with it's own issues right?

I went Friday, there was that Classified concert and it was a free 1.5 hour show. I don't know what he normally charges for his shows, but you probably got a $30 freebe right there.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 2:37 PM

Quote:
If you bought the $35 ticket pack, it's only $8.75 a beer.

But yea it's like $5.25 to $7.20 per food sample but they had to pay for the fairly reasonable concert lineup somehow. Classified.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 2:44 PM

So Hudson's downtown closed; didn't last long at its new location. Too bad. The very first date I had with my wife was at the original location in Oliver Square. That place was always packed.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 2:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanYEG View Post
So Hudson's downtown closed; didn't last long at its new location. Too bad. The very first date I had with my wife was at the original location in Oliver Square. That place was always packed.
What? Wait a minute....the original was in Oliver Sq..yes. Where did it move within DT after that?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 3:28 PM

^ 109 Street North of Jasper and the Pint. Really it closed down??? Wtf I thought it was doing good, weekends are always busy there.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 4:46 PM

I was surprised to see it close as well—always seemed to be quite busy.

This arcade bar out of Calgary is apparently taking its place:https://www.gretabar.com/

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 4:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4.audios View Post
^ 109 Street North of Jasper and the Pint. Really it closed down??? Wtf I thought it was doing good, weekends are always busy there.
"And the Pint" They were one and the same?

"Greta?" As in Greta Van Fleet? Read the website - terrible Hipster name, Hipster concept with wide-brimmed-ballcaps-worn-up-and to the side cooks. All the food appears to be served in paper baskets - street food entirely. "Shareable" cocktails? What the hell is that? We've already worn out "shareable appetizers?" Now we're sharing cocktails? How's that gonna work out? No thanks, stay in Sh*tkicker town.....

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 5:43 PM
Community Guy

Hudsons was fading and competed very directly with the Pint... they wanted a new concept there.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLac View Post
"And the Pint" They were one and the same?

"Greta?" As in Greta Van Fleet? Read the website - terrible Hipster name, Hipster concept with wide-brimmed-ballcaps-worn-up-and to the side cooks. All the food appears to be served in paper baskets - street food entirely. "Shareable" cocktails? What the hell is that? We've already worn out "shareable appetizers?" Now we're sharing cocktails? How's that gonna work out? No thanks, stay in Sh*tkicker town.....
No no.. Just North of The Pint.

Greta actually seems to be doing really well in Calgary. Just from what I have seen walking by often, and never been for food just at night. It's pretty much like Beercade in Edmonton, but more crammed. The arcade games also not pay per use like Beercade, you buy prepaid cards like the Rec Room.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 7:04 PM
Derp

Banquet Premium Dive Bar opening soon in Currents at Windermere

https://www.facebook.com/thebanquetbar/

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 8:30 PM

Quote:
No no.. Just North of The Pint.

Greta actually seems to be doing really well in Calgary. Just from what I have seen walking by often, and never been for food just at night. It's pretty much like Beercade in Edmonton, but more crammed. The arcade games also not pay per use like Beercade, you buy prepaid cards like the Rec Room.
Table reservations "A party totally rad and customized". Definitely not my demographic.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 4:13 AM
Community Guy

Braven for opening night.

Great space, service was amazing due to day 1, food was very good. Overall pricing is very comparable to other top of market places with some things underpriced by 20-30% and others a bit over by the same. We all enjoyed it.

The lobby bar was overrun with people wanting to see/experience it. Looking forward to going back after the rush, but a nice space.

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg/status/1157140403952336902
@ianoyeg

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 7:33 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
My understanding is that they sold it to this new group.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton