HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 5:39 AM
Westgate Newbie

Kitchen Renovation (before/after)

Hey guys

Some of you might remember the photos I posted of my living room renovation I did last summer. Well I just completed (ok 98% - almost completed) my kitchen. I have been working in my spare time since March to get this done. I have done the majority of the work myself, outside of electrical, mudding & taping, from design to flooring and the concrete counter tops. I had friends here and there help out and definately would not be were I was today without them. So thanks to them.

That said I wanted to share my before and afters. I welcome any sort of feedback, good or bad. I have been thinking of getting into interior design as a career but have no formal training. Knowing that some of the poeple on here are part of that world I'd figure I'd post and see what comes back. Am I on the right track??

Enjoy... I hope.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

[IMG][/IMG]

I still need to cover the fluro lights on the one wall. They will be covered with staind glass sheets along the entire wall. I will also be building doors with glass inserts for the upper cabinets.

Cheers for Looking!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 5:48 AM

Looks good! job well done!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 1:28 PM

404 turntables not found.

where are the decks at now?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 2:10 PM
Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferguy View Post

Cheers for Looking!
You do your laundry in the kitchen too?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcaliburKid View Post
You do your laundry in the kitchen too?
It's becoming a lot more common these days over here. It's very common in Europe.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 2:48 PM
Big Dog

I like a lot of what you've done but it seems a little dark to me. No expert advice here just a first impression from a regular guy.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 2:50 PM
Derp

The hardwood flooring looks great

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 3:03 PM
Westgate Newbie

The turntables unfortunatley are not mine. The original photos are fom when I was looking at buying the place. I actually tried to get the decks thrown in on the purchase price but no dice!

THe laundry was an addition during the renovation. I could have built in a stacker but I did not have the ability to vent to the outdoors. So it was a LG combo washer/dryer that fit the need. It is very quite and you would never know it was running unless you really pay attention to it. It is quieter than the dishwasher!

I expected somebody to mention the darker photos. My kitchen lies deep within the condo. The only window is in the back corner and it faces a big concrete wall. These photos were taken at night and do tend to be on the darker side. I only have on the halogens to best bring out the colors in the woods for the photos. That said there are actually 37 lights in the kitchen. I have a bunch of fluros that are up high on the wall, which flood the room with light when ambiance is not needed as much. Lighting was one of the bigger issues I needed to address and I think I got 'er licked. These photos don't really portray that but when everything is on, you could perform surgery... if that is your thing.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 4:14 PM
I am the law!

Great Job! You've got talent! It's a little too busy/overdone, too dark/rigid/masculine, too impractical (wood paneling over a cook top for one), and I don't know what to say about the widowmaker concrete countertops

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 5:05 PM

Looks great...I like the concrete counters, and the colour of that and the slick cabinets contrast nicely with the darks.

I do appreciate all the different textures too (wood flooring/lighting above island, concrete, shiny smooth cabinets, glass tile backspash), but I can see how some might find that too busy.

In the first two pictures, it did kind of have a high-end lounge ambience and look....hopefully, that's what you're going for.

Also - you may want to rethink the blue wall on the right for the entrance to the kitchen...I'm sure that's not the only angle you can see it from. I would go for a medium-earthy brown/grey tone to offset it from the left wall, and not clash with the kitchen.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 5:08 PM
Westgate Newbie

Thanks for the feed back guys. the blue wall actually leads out from the kitchen into the living room. The view of the blue wall on the right is from the living room looking into the kitchen. the front door is around the corner on the right from the blue wall.

In regards to the "widow maker countre tops" you do not want to drop a glass...smashy smashy...lol!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisYYC View Post
It's becoming a lot more common these days over here. It's very common in Europe.
You're right, I have family living in London and their house has a washer and dryer in the kitchen.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 9:32 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Great work on the concrete counter tops! Fantastic application. I have helped about three of my buddies do this in their houses. It's so sleek! Great job with dying the concrete also it's a great colour, doesn't look too industrial!

I know what you are saying about wine glasses! Be careful with vinegar based salad dressing as well. It looks like you have sealed the counters but man congrete doesn't like the acidity of vinegar!

Great work! I really like it!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 10:50 PM

Looks good. Well done

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia