HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

W Philadelphia & Element Philadelphia Hotel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Ah the ol' Philly tradition of saying something is structurally wrong with a major building. Remember when the Comcast Tower was off plumb?
That was actually a thing, why do you think the first section of cooling towers cracked? It was supposed to top out in August 2017 but it was delayed and topped on November 27

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 9:02 PM

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
I had no idea there is an infinity pool on top of the atlantic building. That's awesome!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 9:38 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^^
One of the best shots of Philly I've seen in a while. Really captures the essence of a dense downtown during the evening rush hours, as evidenced by Broad St being bumper to bumper. And, I love the older bldgs in contrast with the new W/Element.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 10:09 PM

I'm not a roofing contractor but doesn't the Bellevue Stratford (formally known as) hotel look like it's missing it's roofing shingles? Along the tops of the roof, it looks like it's just the black roofing tar paper, which would go under the roofing shingles. Or maybe that's the way it supposed to be?
I'm a bit off the subject, but what is the development on the corner of 40th Samson Sts. Across from the supermarket in West Philadelphia, next to the Dunkin Donuts.

Last edited by Inquizative; Sep 21, 2019 at 10:20 PM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquizative View Post
I'm a bit off the subject, but what is the development on the corner of 40th Samson Sts. Across from the supermarket in West Philadelphia, next to the Dunkin Donuts.
Penn's new Tangen Hall:

https://www.pennconnects.upenn.edu/f...l_overview.php

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 12:18 AM
Midrise

Quote:
I'm not a roofing contractor but doesn't the Bellevue Stratford (formally known as) hotel look like it's missing it's roofing shingles? Along the tops of the roof, it looks like it's just the black roofing tar paper, which would go under the roofing shingles. Or maybe that's the way it supposed to be?
Aerial views (see in atlas) don't show shingle roofs on the Bellevue anytime in the past two decades.

There were shingles in a c. 1905 photo; I downloaded the hi-res 168 meg .tif file and can see them.
https://www.loc.gov/resource/det.4a12592/

Here's a snip from the image (those cool spires are gone now as well):

Detroit Publishing Co., Copyright Claimant, and Publisher Detroit Publishing Co. The Bellevue-Stratford Hotel, Philadelphia, Pa. Pennsylvania Philadelphia Philadelphia. United States, ca. 1905. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2016804779/

Last edited by Jayfar; Sep 22, 2019 at 12:52 AM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 3:07 AM

Thanks for all the info! I would look at Bellevue close up from my office window from across the street at the Wells Fargo building and wonder why it looks so incomplete. Now it makes sense. They really need to invest the time & money in bringing the Bellevue back to it's former glory. It's a shame! Thanks again!

Last edited by Inquizative; Sep 22, 2019 at 3:17 AM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the info! I would look at Bellevue close up from my office window from across the street at the Wells Fargo building and wonder why it looks so incomplete. Now it makes sense. They really need to invest the time & money in bringing the Bellevue back to it's former glory. It's a shame! Thanks again!
There are new owners/partners, and something is supposedly in the works. Including a return to a grand lobby. https://phillychitchat.com/2019/07/2...anayunk-store/ https://www.inquirer.com/business/ni...-20190729.html Hopefully, the roof can be part of that. And if there is any way to create a roof deck that would also be great. Much like the Four Seasons squandered its prize asset in its former location, and the Logan then opened up Assembly with amazing views of the Parkway and Logan Square when the hotel changed brands. In other news, the Ritz needs to clean its exterior dome again. And the Packard Grand needs to refurbish the decorative carving under those hideous black covers. Now: https://www.google.com/maps/place/14...!4d-75.1653503 2012: https://www.google.com/maps/place/14...!4d-75.1653503 These owners are letting these gorgeous buildings fall into disrepair. Sad.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 5:52 AM

Eye Candy:
[IMG]DJI_0164-HDR.jpg by Philly By Drone, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]DJI_0098-HDR.jpg by Philly By Drone, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 2:51 PM

^ Part of the wrapper is stuck to the eye candy on the north side.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 11:50 AM

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 5:31 PM

When will the nighttime lighting scheme be activated?? That's like, the saving grace of this building.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 5:40 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
AFAIK, they haven't finished cladding the top of the building. It looks unfinished on the top.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
I have to say when the renderings first came out, I thought the top of this building looked contrived and gimmicky. However, seeing it fully built, I now think it's awesome and I love it.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 1:12 AM

Blank wall aside, I love the way this building turned out.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
When will the nighttime lighting scheme be activated?? That's like, the saving grace of this building.
Really? I don't like the north face either but from all other directions, I think this building looks very good and at about 600 ft, it's pretty imposing and makes a nice impact on the skyline. The lighting will add to the cool factor but I don't see it as its saving grace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Blank wall aside, I love the way this building turned out.
Agreed.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Really? I don't like the north face either but from all other directions, I think this building looks very good and at about 600 ft, it's pretty imposing and makes a nice impact on the skyline. The lighting will add to the cool factor but I don't see it as its saving grace.

Agreed.
Don’t get me wrong, I love the south face. I just can’t get over the other side.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 11:40 PM

Old Posted Nov 24, 2019, 12:04 AM
West End & Riverside

Fantastic! It reminds me of the pre-war apartment blocks on Park Ave with their complex, asymmetrical penthouse floors, but rendered in glass. A very simple solution which creates memorable design.

That blank wall tho. Ugh. Spend the money and glaze it or something - which I'm sure they always want to do until the accountant says no.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive