HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Let me start by staying I never called you a racist and never personally attacked you. I attacked some of your statements because they lack a basis in fact and I said you were making arguments that racists make and as someone who I don't believe is racist, I thought you might be interested to know how you sounded.

I don't believe your point of view that you just laid out, is especially off base. There have yet to be significant studies on the cause of this current crimewave, but it's safe to assume that in the years to come as these studies come out, the primary causes will be the same as basically every crime wave of the past century. Economic hopelessness. Easy access to guns. Desperation caused by addiction. Inadequate healthcare of all forms but especially mental healthcare.

I believe you mentioned all of these as factors and I agree. And of course Covid is sort of the magic bullet that exacerbated every societal ill.

But while we agree on much, we start to separate when you start blaming the current DA, Mayor, etc. for being soft on crime. I won't elaborate on what my specific thoughts are on these public figures, and I don't mean to imply any of them are doing a perfect job or couldn't improve, but this whole debate started by you pointing out that the problems Philadelphia is experiencing with crime are currently universal across this country. Most places in this country have not elected a progressive DA with positions like Krasner. So why would you assume this is a cause? Besides, there is also no correlation between putting more human beings in cages and actually making a community safer. People don't see that the DA isn't persecuting low level crimes and decide to murder someone. That's simply not how any of this works at all. But whatever, at least government policy is something that can actually affect the crime rate. I don't agree with these assertions but if you were just blaming Krasner or whatever, I'd think you were wrong but wouldn't have bothered responding.

The main problems I had with your original post, and the reason why I responded as I did, was the outrageous claim that the black lives matter protests were not just a cause of the crime wave but you seemed to imply they were one of the main causes. There is just no statistical basis for this. And as someone who just posted that you believe that institutional racism is a cause of crime, how can pushing to end institutional racism make crime worse?

If anything, I could understand blaming the specific crime that occurred during the protests on the protests. I don't think that the crimes of opportunity and looting that occurred during the protests should lead a reasonable person to conclude that protesting against racial injustice is a bad thing to do, but at the least I could understand the connection. But how, over a year later, are you blaming murders that are currently happening on protests for racial justice that occurred last summer?

And what I found especially annoying about your initial statements, was that you blamed the defund the police movement on the increase in crime. This is of course, absurd, because the police have not been defunded. Not here in Philadelphia, or really anywhere. The few places in America that have made consistent decreases to police funding throughout the course of this crime wave, are dwarfed in quantity and scale by the rest of America which has not defunded the police.

Please understand how frustrating it is, to push for police reforms with significant statistical backing for your position and to be told that we can't defund the police because crime will rise. And then, even though the police haven't been defunded, and in fact America is basically spending more than ever on policing, and then when crimes rose anyway we have to hear people like you blame defunding the police on why crime is increasing... even though we haven't defunded the police. Do you realize how crazy it is to blame the crime increase on something that hasn't happened?

So again, I don't think you're a bad guy. But blaming the crime increase on something that hasn't happened and protests for racial justice is both statistically unfounded and a terrible look. I hope you will take these criticisms as they are intended, simply as a critique of your statements and not some type of overarching judgement on you as a person.
Well then, I think we mostly agree on quite a lot. One thing that hasn't really been mentioned is drug epidemics and the war on drugs as well. That plays a big factor into the homicide rates as well - i.e., crack epidemic in the 80s/90s and opioid epidemic of today.

I want to say that I never surmised that Black Lives Matter movement, the protests, the riots and looting, COVID, the defund the police movement, etc. were SOLELY to blame for todays homicide rates. Please don't think that at all. I know that correlation does not imply causation. I know this is a VERY, VERY complex and complicated situation with so, so many factors at play. You can't point a finger at one thing, when it's really many numerous things. I'm simply stating that it's certainly possible, and not totally unrealistic to hypothesis that those factors could be playing into the increase in homicides and shootings (particularly among lower class and poor black men), among many other factors. There's so many things to name that you can't possibly name it all.

The bulk of the murder rate issues since the 70s/80s all the way to today really boils down to decades (centuries?) of systemic racism, failed welfare, failed public housing/projects, lack of opportunity and economic hopelessness, lack of living wages, lack of quality education, environment and surroundings, drug epidemics/war on drugs, lax gun laws and easy access to guns, broken prison system and criminal reform system, etc. etc.

Furthermore, it's CERTAINLY possible that a lax on crime mayor, police commissioner and lax DA has played into the uptick in homicides and shootings we saw from 2017 onward.

And lastly, 2020 and 2021. Once COVID hit, I don't think it's totally out of the question to point to things that have happened since then as sending the homicide rate skyrocketing in many cities across the US... especially with ALL of the other factors I already mentioned still at play. For instance, COVID exposed and put on full display the many problems with American society and our systems in place. A lot of us knew these issues were there, but COVID amplified it. People losing jobs and amplifying the fears and anger of everyone, plus amplifying the economic hopelessness, etc....

....that leads into the Black Lives Matter movement and the protests. While typically and mostly a good thing, that has inspired good people to do good things, and has sparked a movement for change which needs to be made and is long overdue, it's very possible that all of this has amplified anger and fears as well amongst certain people... case in point - the looting/rioting that happened during all of this and is still continuing periodically to this day.

Then, the defund the police movement. While no defunding has actually happened, it has done multiple things. Police morale is low and police are quitting retiring (amongst major city police forces) at a very high clip with city police forces having a hard time bringing on new hires to replace them. Police are more hands off for a fear of being accused of police brutality, racism, etc. On the flip side, there are people who already distrusted the police, now they REALLY distrust the police and actually no longer fear them, they disrespect them, etc. etc....
https://whyy.org/articles/philly-pol...morale-is-low/
https://www.npr.org/2021/06/24/10095...y-from-the-job
https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/inve...olice/3060247/
https://klewtv.com/news/nation-world...quit-last-year

And please, don't think this is racist, or I'm "backing the blue," or a trumper or whatever. Again, I'm a registered democrat who voted for Biden. I just don't think it's out of the question to point to these things as contributing factors to what's going on TODAY.... and that everything that has happened and keeps happening is a snow ball effect that has made matters worse and worse. Not the sole and major reasons, but could certainly be playing into it. Obviously, we need police reform, we need stricter gun laws, we need prison reform, we need to end the modern Jim Crow and systemic racism, and provide poor people of color better access to food/groceries, living wages and job opportunities, cleaner neighborhoods and better housing, access to better education, safer gun-free and drug-free neighborhoods, a revamped welfare system, fully legalize marijuana, etc. etc..... the BIG problem is, we don't have those things NOW. We don't have these systems in place now. So, while I agree with what a lot of the black lives matter movement is trying to accomplish, the problem is these things will not be overnight changes. These changes will take decades to really start to create meaningful change. Therefore, being lax on crime NOW is not going to work. Police reform NOW is not going to work. We need the correct systems in place already before we make these needed changes... because the reality is that PEOPLE ARE DYING in the streets, and it's always been at an alarming clip in Philadelphia and other major US cities, but now it's worse than it's been in a long, long time. A modern America can and should be so, so much better for all of it's residents.

So, that's why, in my opinion, I don't think it's totally out of the questions to say these things could be contributing factors to the homicide/gun violence spike. I don't think it's out of the question to look at these as possible contributing factors to the spike, while understand there so much worse and deeper factors and reasons to why this has been happening for decades now. I don't try to lean too far one way or the other, but see both sides of the story and both spectrums. Take a little bit from the right and the left, and try to find somewhere in the middle. Hope I explained it a little better this time.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 7:14 PM

I would HIGHLY recommend that everyone here (involved in this argument or not) read the following article:

What Philadelphia Reveals About America’s Homicide Surge — ProPublica
https://www.propublica.org/article/p...homicide-surge

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I would HIGHLY recommend that everyone here (involved in this argument or not) read the following article:

What Philadelphia Reveals About America’s Homicide Surge — ProPublica
https://www.propublica.org/article/p...homicide-surge
Thank you. Great article. A lot of what I was trying to say and convey, just put much more eloquently.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 11:17 PM
Chris

Thoughts??

‘We don’t have a crisis of crime.’ DA Larry Krasner says Philly tourists should feel safe despite a record number of killings

https://www.inquirer.com/news/larry-...-20211206.html

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 2:18 AM
Chris

Thoughts on this too.

Council President Darrell L. Clarke wants to give lawmakers more influence over development

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20211206.html

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 3:34 AM

Sounds great on the surface, but is just something that will ultimately lead to more political stunts and shenanigans if passed.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 2:32 PM

You know what; it may be time to do like Los Angeles and San Francisco because as a Minority man I can tell you, Larry Krasner may have made the most insensitive statement I have heard a District Attorney make; and look; I was in Philadelphia during Rizzo and this statement was on par with something Rizzo would have literately said. We may need to recall this man.

Please tell me this man didn't say what I just heard

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Thank you. Great article. A lot of what I was trying to say and convey, just put much more eloquently.
It is a great article, thanks for sharing McGrath. It's very long and I haven't had a chance to reread it, though I'm confident I recall the broad strokes from reading this summer.

Based on your more recent post and your general agreement with this article, I believe I have a better grasp of your views and get what you're trying to say. I think this article does a great job synethesising how all of the events of the past years have contributed to the epidemic of violence we're currently experiencing, including black lives mater protests, defunding movement etc., while at the same time I don't anyone would come away from reading this article and believe that the black lives matter movement is at all, "at fault" for the crime increase and that's where my disconnect with you was centered.

The black lives matter and defund movements further highlighted for city residents the ineptitude of the police and their inability to protect our citizens, and the proliferation of videos of police abuse from Philly and across the country and the subsequent police response to protests shattered any remaining trust between many residents and the police. I get that this would obviously have a negative effect on crime, I would just never blame that on those movements.

It's like the difference between saying "My life was destroyed when the doctor gave us my wife's terminal cancer diagnosis" and "The doctor destroyed my life when he gave us my wife's terminal cancer diagnosis." Obviously the Dr is involved with this story, but the second sentence could be interpretted as ascribing blame where there shouldn't be.

Police reform is desperately needed. That has been true for a very long time, and the response from many police officers against a push for accountability (as the article states, police are basically not doing their job and /or doing a worse job since the protests and they were already really bad at preventing and solving violent crime) only reinforces the argument for reform. Pointing this out is not a bad thing, even if in the short term it negatively impacts the trust that citizens have in their police and this in turn makes crime worse. Burying your head in the sand is not an effective longterm solution here.

And regarding government impact, as the article notes, this rise in crime has affected the whole country. Whether cities are right or left leaning, whether they have progressive DAs or not. As I've said, no one is hearing that low level crime isn't being prosecuted to the same extent and deciding to murder someone.

But as the article points out, one of the crimes being punished less is illegal gun carrying. This is not something I'd consider a minor crime and disregarding it can have an obvious impact on gun violence. Some of the Krasner quotes in the article indicate this was a purposeful choice by the DA. But later quotes indicate this was a matter of circumstances with pandemic court closings and faulty police evidence. So did he change his tone on this matter for the election or because he legitimately realized its important not to be lax on this issue? Krasner has a ton of solid data that backs his approach as the most effective way to fight crime in the longterm, but the data is also clear on illegal gun carrying and choosing Dogma over data is never a good idea regardless of what side of the spectrum you're on.

I'll finish by saying that this article also notes that at the end of the day, even those most harmed by violent crime in this city including those who experienced personal loss, backed Krasner for reelection at incredibly high margins. Obviously the threat of violence is higher for some more than others in this city, and for those who may live here, but are mostly on the outside looking in on this crime increase, this should hopefully tell you something important. Even with murders reaching all time highs, the residents most harmed by this increase had an easy choice at the polls.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Thoughts??

‘We don’t have a crisis of crime.’ DA Larry Krasner says Philly tourists should feel safe despite a record number of killings

I mostly disagree with Krasner. Non-violent crime has been trending downward for years, but the number of senseless murders carried out by guns certainly warrants a "crisis" label; however, the reporter's question is very much alarmist. Most shootings aren't happening in the areas that tourists frequent. I know that a shooting can happen anywhere, but most shootings aren't happening in Center City, University City, Northern Liberties/Fishtown, Fairmount, East Passyunk Square, Chestnut Hill, and other areas that tourists are known to visit.

Quote:
Thoughts on this too.

Council President Darrell L. Clarke wants to give lawmakers more influence over development

Two thoughts on this:

1.) Giving Council more power over anything is never a good idea, especially given Council's current membership. Though the ZBA occasionally makes outrageous decisions (ex. attempting to squash the Post Brothers project at 9th and Poplar), I trust them MUCH more than I trust City Council. There are too many regressives, such as Darrell Clarke and Kenyatta Johnson, who would use this legislation to appoint ZBA members intent on holding back this city's progress.

2.) The ZBA wouldn't be seeing so many projects go before them if the zoning code made sense. For example, it's utterly ridiculous that Point Breeze Avenue is zoned below CMX-2.5. Darrell Clarke's recent downzoning of Girard Avenue between 6th and Broad is another example. A large portion of this city is also zoned single-family in areas where multi-family would make more sense--especially at sites with excellent proximity to transit. The zoning code could be much more effective, yet Council members are too regressive to make the necessary changes and/or continue to revert appropriately-zoned sites to a lower zoning designation.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Sounds great on the surface, but is just something that will ultimately lead to more political stunts and shenanigans if passed.
It really is textbook gaslighting. At this point, I don’t understand how anyone in their right mind can support him. I agree, he needs to be recalled.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Thoughts??

he is out of touch with reality and his constituents, but what else is new. Totally tone deaf

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Thoughts on this too.

This wouldnt be happening if Kenney was a more effective leader that had some sort of relationship or rapport with Council- he does not. There should not be so many variances needed, especially after the zoning code was redone 10 years ago or whatever- this has been expressed by Inga over the years. Now some of this is likely due to lack of remapping but this is where Kenney should be able to broker a deal of sorts. Offer them a carrot to advance remapping if he believes that will help developers. Instead he says nothing about that issue and relies on the ZBA to grant almost every variance which just perpetuates the current mess. If the zoning code needs further updating then that is something that has to be spearheaded by the mayor- he has said little to nothing about zoning in the last 6 years. Its not a priority.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
I'm not sure what your point is here. What police reforms have we seen as a result of the BLM movement?
You mentioned that we are long due for a conversation about police reform - you’re saying not enough people have been talking about that? that There are many cities that did some reforms and did in fact defund the police. And I’m sorry but the spin of “well, money was only transferred from police departments, they weren’t ‘cut’” is pretty weak and illogical. That’s how budgeting works - the city doesn’t just make cuts and then transfers it to a bank where it collects interest lol.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...oney-community

Last edited by skyhigh07; Dec 7, 2021 at 4:02 PM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
he is out of touch with reality and his constituents, but what else is new. Totally tone deaf
The one city official you don't support. Figures. His constituents just reelected him in a landslide. Perhaps you're out of touch?

What do you want him to say? "You're right, don't come to Philly. Tourists stay away!" He's right. There's certainly an issue in this city but it's not really affecting tourists.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 4:35 PM

I understand that the moderator may not wish to appear heavy-handed and thin-skinned, but this is tiresome. Some of us have the self-discipline to refrain from discussing politics in this forum, despite the posts that we have to endure while searching for development news. That said, there's no doubt these things can have a serious impact on development. I'd have no problem with a separate political/general rant thread if folks can't resist the urge.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
I understand that the moderator may not wish to appear heavy-handed and thin-skinned, but this is tiresome. Some of us have the self-discipline to refrain from discussing politics in the forum despite the posts that we have to endure while searching for development news. That said, there's no doubt these things can have a serious impact on development. I'd have no problem with a separate political/general rant thread if folks can't resist the urge.
I second this as strongly as one possibly could. While I post infrequently (and only recently), I can assure you that I've read nearly every single post on this forum since at least the mid-aughts. I suspect there are a ton of readers like me and frankly the site will lose those readers and the corresponding traffic if the discourse continues to devolve into off-topic and often ad hominem drivel.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 5:03 PM

^^ I hear you both and agree. While I do think that the current homicide rate and gun violence is not totally off topic, as it could have an effect on development and such.... in the interest of keeping this thread on-topic, I opened up another thread in a separate section of the forum where anyone interested in doing so can have a further discussion on politics, gun violence, and any other items and matters in the city of Philadelphia that is not directly related to development. Please see link to that new thread below, and divert the conversation there.

Philadelphia - Politics, Gun Violence and other City Matters
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...25#post9470225

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 5:05 PM

50-Unit, Mixed-Use Building Planned at 5221 Wayne Avenue in Germantown

Rendering:

Aerial view of site:

Current site:

Read/view more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/50-unit...in-germantown/

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 5:08 PM

90-Unit Building Planned at 2019 N. 29th Street in Strawberry Mansion

Rendering:

Aerial of current site:

Read/view more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/90-unit...berry-mansion/

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 5:17 PM

Permits Issued For Renovation Of Eight-Story Prewar Building At 5627-33 Germantown Avenue In Germantown

Quote:
Permits have been issued for the a mixed-use renovation of an eight-story prewar building at 5627-33 Germantown Avenue in Germantown, Northwest Philadelphia. A commercial space will still be located on the ground floor, with 47 residential units added above. In total, the project will span 90,515 square feet of interior space. The renovations will cost an estimated $7.75 million.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/12/perm...ermantown.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development