HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Just drove by the site again today and it looks like construction is going full bore on the awesome JGMA NEIU building on the Kennedy. The whole site is torn up and there are half a dozen different pieces of equipment sifting through the dirt and doing what looks to be preliminary foundation work.
And mysteriously, the big abstract metal sculpture in front of a Lincoln Park manse (Armitage & Burling) that seemed to have a twin in the NEIU render is now being disassembled. The masonry wall in front of the house is being taken apart and the sculpture has already been half removed. Maybe this landowner really was just safekeeping (or enjoying the benefit of) the sculpture until the construction of the NEIU building. After all, as mentioned a while back there was a cornerstone on that house bearing the logo of Novak Construction, and Novak Construction happens to be located next to the NEIU site. I have no idea what the precise connection is, or whether the mansion is Mr Novak's or something, but it's all too much of a coincidence. FYI Google Maps got a shot of the sculpture (aerial view, not street view).

-------------------

The Wicker Park Citgo is completely fenced off, with a colorful sign advertising the upcoming condo and its website: hermitagesixteen11.com

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 12:24 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
And mysteriously, the big abstract metal sculpture in front of a Lincoln Park manse (Armitage & Burling) that seemed to have a twin in the NEIU render is now being disassembled. The masonry wall in front of the house is being taken apart and the sculpture has already been half removed. Maybe this landowner really was just safekeeping (or enjoying the benefit of) the sculpture until the construction of the NEIU building. After all, as mentioned a while back there was a cornerstone on that house bearing the logo of Novak Construction, and Novak Construction happens to be located next to the NEIU site. I have no idea what the precise connection is, or whether the mansion is Mr Novak's or something, but it's all too much of a coincidence. FYI Google Maps got a shot of the sculpture (aerial view, not street view).

-------------------

The Wicker Park Citgo is completely fenced off, with a colorful sign advertising the upcoming condo and its website: hermitagesixteen11.com
^ I believe that was Mr. Novak's house. I like how he played the city on that one, and anything that ruffles the feathers of snotty Lincoln Parkers always gives me a bit of joy...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 12:27 PM
The City

Quote:
^ Wow, I absolutely love it when gas stations get replaced by stuff like this.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ I believe that was Mr. Novak's house. I like how he played the city on that one, and anything that ruffles the feathers of snotty Lincoln Parkers always gives me a bit of joy...
This is correct, Novak lives in that house. I think it is interesting that the statue is finally moving now that construction has started on the NEIU building.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
This is correct, Novak lives in that house. I think it is interesting that the statue is finally moving now that construction has started on the NEIU building.
The statue isn't moving because of NEIU. The city is telling him to get rid of it for various reasons. The NEIU move was originally a compromise worked out to allow him to keep the brick wall barricading him from the city.

Complete article here complete here:
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sec...eam&id=9128785

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 3:54 PM

Quote:

-------------------

Fantastic!! Im glad to see the gas station go away as well.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 4:14 PM
dream fast

Quote:

-------------------

6-11

I happened by that 'monstrosity' sculpture last week at Armitage & Burling. Never understood why the owner put it there. Temporary holding spot would have made sense. City should make him move it, completely out of context there. I asked one of the crew what they were doing, he said they were moving it over. Didn't say to where or how much over...

Last edited by george; Jun 20, 2013 at 4:27 PM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 5:26 PM
The City

^ Wait, so it's not being removed? Awesome!

I love this Novak guy.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 5:43 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Wait, so it's not being removed? Awesome!

I love this Novak guy.
He is a friend of my Father; his sculpture was slightly hanging over the sidewalk, so it is being moved towards the house to remain completely on his property.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 5:48 PM

I love this sculpture. It adds some much needed interest to that street.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 6:26 PM
dream fast

Wonder if it's grounded?^

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 7:30 PM

I love the sculpture. It looks cool. It matches the bright blue old Victorians on Armitage. I think his house is ugly. For such a wealthy guy it's really plain, it looks like Chicago common brick, and the hanging balcony is tacky. He could have built a nicer looking house.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 7:34 PM
you know where I'll be

Roosevelt Collection - That's Our Bag

Someone mentioned the amateurish-feeling That's Our Bag store finally closing (for real this time) at the 200 N Michigan building, that seems headed for demolition in the not distant future, to make way for the John Buck residential or residential/hotel tower. I noticed the other day that there are now signs in one of the Roosevelt Collection spaces for a That's Our Bag opening soon (way to go McCaffery on landing that gem!) McCaffery is really disappointing so far this year on further signed leases and tenant announcements at Roosevelt Collection - they should have had at least as many announced as they did last fall in the initial tenant announcement. So far this entire year (which we're nearly halfway thru!), they've literally had just a trickle of two or three additional, one-at-a-time announcements. Very sub-par. I knew they were terrible at design for their developments, and poor community members when it comes to bait-n-switching neighbors out of public parkland, however I had no idea they were this bad at retail leasing as well....

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 7:40 PM
you know where I'll be

This may or may not have a connection to previous post.

A (re)developer of a certain mixed-use project somewhere around downtown Chicago recently and (presumably) inadvertantly posted a leasing plan of the retail (believe to be first floor) component of said development on their website. Spaces were color-coded, however there was no key visible. Reasonably safe to assume colors may have some bearing as to the status of leases (for example, in preliminary discussion, in advanced negotiation, signed lease, etc or similar). Some of the retailer names that were penciled into spaces include:

Banana Republic, Sur La Table, Victoria's Secret, Haberdash, Lululemon, Loft, Anthropologie, J Crew, Lucky Brand, Arami GO, Grahamwich, a frozen yogurt shop, Park Tavern, Massage Envy, The Children's Place, Sunglass Hut

Also, Blackfinn American Grille, which was announced with some fanfare late last year, is nowhere to be seen......this would seem to indicate that this restaurant chain has bailed.....

Oops.

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Jun 20, 2013 at 7:59 PM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 9:31 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Also, Blackfinn American Grille, which was announced with some fanfare late last year, is nowhere to be seen......this would seem to indicate that this restaurant chain has bailed.....
They're opening a location on the SE corner of Kinzie and Clark according to signs in the windows there.

The rest of those names seem like a stretch without the tower and more development nearby. I can't see anyone driving to that development to shop at those brands.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 11:15 PM

It is official

Google plans move its Chicago office to the Fulton Market-area of the West Loop starting in 2016, Jim Lecinski, the head of the company's Chicago office and its vice president for U.S. sales and service, announced Thursday.

The Mountain View, Calif.,-based company will move from 150,000 square feet of leased space on Kinzie Street in River North to about 200,000 square feet in the under construction Fulton Market Cold Storage building at 1000 W. Fulton St.

Sterling Bay Cos., a fast-growing Chicago-based real estate developer, is in the process of converting the building for offices, which will be located amid some of the city's most cutting-edge restaurants.

"It's one block north of that fabulous new, $40 million green line 'L' stop," Lecinski said.

When asked whether 50,000 more square feet was all that the company needed, Lecinski said, "The configuration is different. The mechanical stack and the elevator banks are right smack in the middle, so we have to work in a racetrack here. It's a much more open floor plan there."

Google has had an office in Chicago since 2000, making it one of the company's earliest locations. The company employs about 500 people here, about half of whom work in sales and marketing, Lecinski said. The employment figure does not include workers in Google's Motorola Mobility unit, which operates independently, he said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,6140941.story

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 2:05 AM

Quote:

Banana Republic, Sur La Table, Victoria's Secret, Haberdash, Lululemon, Loft, Anthropologie, J Crew, Lucky Brand, Arami GO, Grahamwich, a frozen yogurt shop, Park Tavern, Massage Envy, The Children's Place, Sunglass Hut
Those don't look like any of the names I've seen thrown around for RC in the past, but most of the ones I've heard of have already been announced (H&M, White House Black Market), so maybe you excluded those. If that is what you're talking about. Grahamwich is interesting, though.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 1:57 PM

Quote:
This may or may not have a connection to previous post.

Some of the retailer names that were penciled into spaces include:

Oops.
I can only speak for one of the clothing line retailers on that list, but it's definitely not going to set-up shop in RC. The brand has been looking at opening a Men's only retail shop in line with other stores in the company on the State Street corridor.
I am wondering if this schematic was for the revamp/releasing of Block 37?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 3:50 PM
you know where I'll be

^ ^^ I was being facetious, it of course is indeed RC.

Again, my guess is that they would not have indicated these names in specific spaces had they not been involved in at least some level of discussion with said retailers, not sure if it was even necessarily at the LOI level. I wouldn't necessarily expect all of them to eventually open at RC, but we'll see....

However, I will say that given the names and locations of those tenants that have already been announced (I did not list those, as we know about them), including the few that have come out in recent months, were exactly as currently planned, also given the absence of BlackFinn, which although not reported in the media yet has apparently backed-out (I've suspected as much for the last couple months), this particular version of the leasing plan - which I actually have in possession - is in all likelihood fairly current.

At any rate, we will see which of these new retailers are actually formally announced as tenants this summer.

Also, as for the already publicly announced tenants, a majority (although not all yet) are now in interior build-out, with probably 2-3 in a quite advanced stage (have no idea if there will be some soft openings in the coming weeks, but if they wanted to, by the appearance of progress, they certainly could.

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Jun 21, 2013 at 5:49 PM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 4:08 PM

Demolition on the building at State & Pearson started yesterday. This comes a few days after the two buildings next to it were demolished (State & Chestnut). State & Pearson will make way for a new 9 story Loyola Business School building while State & Chestnut will become a 35 story rental tower.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development