HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 5:53 PM
The City

^ There's no "seeing" anything.

I promise you that this will be packed when the weather is nice. Chicagoans love to eat and drink. I expect to see a lot of Mag Mile shoppers (or at least their husbands) parked here. Perhaps this will be an alternative to Pippin's Tavern for me?

Bring it on...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 6:03 PM

Center on Halsted finally lurching forward later this month.

This Old Police Station Will Be a Home for LGBTQ Seniors / Chicago Magazine

Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ There's no "seeing" anything.

I promise you that this will be packed when the weather is nice. Chicagoans love to eat and drink. I expect to see a lot of Mag Mile shoppers (or at least their husbands) parked here. Perhaps this will be an alternative to Pippin's Tavern for me?

Bring it on...
I went there with my coworkers for happy hour last Friday. We are all foodies and beer snobs and we were very impressed. Also, that place is just giant

Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 10:20 PM
TL;DR

The street signs don't need to be green. In New Orleans we do white lettering on a blue background, while San Francisco does black lettering on a white background.

Most cities are limited by the availability of retro-reflective material in a small set of colors.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migueltorres View Post
I went there with my coworkers for happy hour last Friday. We are all foodies and beer snobs and we were very impressed. Also, that place is just giant

Seeing that the Irish bar in the AMC theater building is closing/closed, this thing will do a killing with all the Booth evening/weekend MBA students next door. Not too much in that area as far as affordable beers, and nothing to support a new bar like business school students.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 12:06 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
The Shops & Lofts at 47th Street (47th and Cottage Grove) seems to be nearing construction. I think they potholed the site last week and I saw workers on the site yesterday.
http://www.metroplanning.org/news-events/blog-post/6673

Can someone explain to me how this possibly costs $85 million? You can put up a high-rise for less than that.

At these construction costs, it's easy to see why they need every subsidy and tax break under the sun.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 12:38 AM

Doesn't the 47th development span a couple blocks? I think they are referring the entire development to be around $85 million. This is the last thing I remember hearing about the entire development. http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...evelopment.php That would be really disappointing if this corner alone is $85 million.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markh9 View Post
Center on Halsted finally lurching forward later this month.

This Old Police Station Will Be a Home for LGBTQ Seniors / Chicago Magazine

This is great.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
http://www.metroplanning.org/news-events/blog-post/6673

Can someone explain to me how this possibly costs $85 million? You can put up a high-rise for less than that.

At these construction costs, it's easy to see why they need every subsidy and tax break under the sun.
I'm floored by the cost. I worked on a market rate residential project about half the size of this. Same number of floors (concrete and steel construction), retail space, internal parking, with a mid-high end palette of finishes and cladding on a busy downtown site. Cost was $15 million. Again, just half the size.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaguir3 View Post
Doesn't the 47th development span a couple blocks? I think they are refering the entire development to be around $85 million. This is the last thing I remember hearing about the entire development. http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...evelopment.php
Ah maybe. But 96 apartments multi-level with that retail base certainly wouldn't...not even half a block. Maybe I'm just not reading things right?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 2:59 PM

Could it be that they are also adding in the cost of the build out by WalMart to that $85M? I'm not sure how much that would add but it could be a few million.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 3:15 PM

Don’t know if this has been posted but as of last month this is the update on the new mall in Chicago; Fashion Outlet of Chicago, in Rosemont.
Pretty small pictures…

MORE HERE:
http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2...09/photos/EP8/
Here are some renderings:

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 3:38 PM

^Bleck, Nothing personal WindyCity, but I could have done without seeing those photos..

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 3:53 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
^Bleck, Nothing personal WindyCity, but I could have done without seeing those photos..
^ i could have done with living my entire life without knowing that rosemont even exists as a thing.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 4:33 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
Thanks for the pics WindyCity, please note that not everybody feels that way.

I actually look forward to visiting this mall when it's completed. While I don't care much for suburban crap like this, my interest is more on the economic impact, spending from out of towners, etc.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 5:00 PM

Our personal opinions aside, there should be a bit more respect for someone taking photos in the first place. Just a matter of seeing and knowing about something is worth our time. Thanks WindyCity for posting these.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 7:20 PM
The City

I'm sure Reinsdorf is far from being a saint, but I'm extremely delighted that he has a personal stake in investing in the area around United Center. Looks like more development is on its way.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeg1985 View Post
Could it be that they are also adding in the cost of the build out by WalMart to that $85M? I'm not sure how much that would add but it could be a few million.
That number doesn't sound right at all. I think someone got something wrong.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 7:37 PM

^^^ Yeah, $8.5 million sounds more realistic...

Quote:
I'm sure Reinsdorf is far from being a saint, but I'm extremely delighted that he has a personal stake in investing in the area around United Center. Looks like more development is on its way.
Wow, this guy is like singly handedly obliterating all the vacant lots along Ashland in that area. Says he's got 2 more plots that can fit up to 200 more units under contract. This is some of the most interesting news I've heard in a long time because it shows that downtown is starting to fill up and the development pressures are shifting into the neighborhoods.

You see the same thing up in Wicker Park and Logan Square right now, you drive down Armitage West of the freeway and there are a couple blocks where more than 50% of the buildings are under construction. There's a two block segment that probably has a dozen projects under construction it. Such a sight for sore eyes.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 7:54 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Don't forget the new 8 or 9 story Malcolm X College: http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20130...-521m-addition . It's supposed to have an enormous parking garage though; not sure if that's in anticipation of redeveloping some of the UC lots or strictly just for students.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
That number doesn't sound right at all. I think someone got something wrong.
I think it is wrong. The City's press release puts the total at close to $46 million.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development