HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 4:34 AM

This is really cool: Modern Electric Lunch, the cafe opening soon in the Fortune Building, is actually the same name of a restaurant that was in the same spot back in 1927. Love that.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFhuNtGnE0M/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CFAP6xdn4os/

"Fun fact, the original Modern Electric Lunch was part of a duo of cafes called Electric Lunch No. 1 and Electric Lunch No. 2. What made them so electric? They were both home to coveted electric refrigerators! Not to brag but along with premium coffee, local beer and quality comfort food will be our very own...electric refrigerators. Can't wait to show you."

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
This is really cool: Modern Electric Lunch, the cafe opening soon in the Fortune Building, is actually the same name of a restaurant that was in the same spot back in 1927. Love that.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFhuNtGnE0M/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CFAP6xdn4os/

"Fun fact, the original Modern Electric Lunch was part of a duo of cafes called Electric Lunch No. 1 and Electric Lunch No. 2. What made them so electric? They were both home to coveted electric refrigerators! Not to brag but along with premium coffee, local beer and quality comfort food will be our very own...electric refrigerators. Can't wait to show you."
That is so cool, looking forward to supporting local with a history twist.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'm not sure if it's due to zoning rules or what, but Winnipeg has been able to avoid the pure drive-thru type fast food joints that you occasionally see in other cities, like the 2 lane drive thru Tim Hortons without any seating inside.
Umm, already happened in Winnipeg. The McDonalds on Pembina at Grant was originally a drive-thru only location. At the time it was also one of I think two locations in all of Canada that had hot dogs on their menu.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 8:53 PM

^ Yeah, I remember that one but it didn't last long before they added seating. I'm thinking of the abomination Tim Hortons locations I've seen in other cities that have a little kiosk of a store with a drive thru lane on either side. Somehow those never materialized here.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 8:56 PM

I had a few late night pizzas from that McDonald's. Didn't try the hog dogs.

Am I dreaming or did I mis-read a sign on the City Place build a pizza, pizza, pizza place for $4.99?

Will prices come down?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 8:57 PM

This is the bad type of Tim Horton's I meant

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 8:58 PM

I like that Burger King 2 story concept.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 9:00 PM

I love it when a car can easily block the front door.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Yeah, I remember that one but it didn't last long before they added seating. I'm thinking of the abomination Tim Hortons locations I've seen in other cities that have a little kiosk of a store with a drive thru lane on either side. Somehow those never materialized here.
Don't know for sure but I imagine it has something to do with the drive thru rules here. There's some sort of mandatory ratio of building sizerive thru size:lot size that needs to be maintained, plus enough room for expected lineup.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 8:13 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Umm, already happened in Winnipeg. The McDonalds on Pembina at Grant was originally a drive-thru only location. At the time it was also one of I think two locations in all of Canada that had hot dogs on their menu.
That McD's used to be an A&W Drive-In more than 30 years ago. Spent many many times eating at the drive-in there in the 60s and 70s.

It's not that hard to have the food carried by a 'hop' to a vehicle and the eaters eat in their cars.

I'm all for A&W going back to a primarily drive-in model. That's what set themselves apart from other restaurants and what made them special in a good way.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 12:23 PM

^ The drive in model with car hops and such didn't seem to last very long... I get the impression it was everywhere in the 60s and 70s and then it just faded out fast after that. Going back to that model would really be swimming against the current.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 4:30 PM

^^ memory could be wrong on this but I think the A&W car service lasted almost to the 80s/early 80s? And I think Thunderbird kept doing it even longer.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 4:41 PM

There were still some A&W drive ins that hung on into the 80s, but it was definitely on the downswing by then.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 5:29 PM

Speaking of drive-thrus on both sides with no dining, does anyone else remember a little dump named Boondoggles in the Superstore parking lot on McPhillips and Stardust tucked in the corner of the lot beside the traffic lights? I think they had 99cent burgers that I used to wolf down like candy back in the late 80s early 90s.

Anyways I think that place would hold the record for tiniest little kiosk restaurant. Essentially a permanent food truck but in an actual building. Good memories.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 5:37 PM

^ Yeah, I remember that place. I think I ate there once or twice back in the day. I can't remember when it came down, but it must have been sometime around the late 90s maybe?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 6:44 PM

There's a couple Tim's drive-thru only locations in Winnipeg, but they're attached to gas stations.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 7:30 PM

A Syrian restaurant called Daanook is preparing to open in the former Vicky's / White Star Diner space on Albert. Signage is up.

No shortage of shawarma downtown these days!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 8:03 PM
surely you agree with me

wow. That is going to kill shawarmakahn….I hope the donair guys survive.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryEllice View Post
A Syrian restaurant called Daanook is preparing to open in the former Vicky's / White Star Diner space on Albert. Signage is up.

No shortage of shawarma downtown these days!
Their website is one of the best I’ve seen in a while. https://www.daanook.com/

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 3:37 AM

With a website like that, you know the food gotta be straight fyah

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan