HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 1:19 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 8:48 PM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck10 View Post
The original link has changed to this.

A new document has been added.

And comments urging the appeal board to deny the application have been submitted by a neighbour.
Thanks so much. Wanted to share this with a few others that are not members on this site. I DO hope this proceeds.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 6:18 PM

Well said Ricopedra, I lived in Van for 7 years and you just learn to adjust your attitude. I also became more aware of my surroundings and avoided anything to skechy. but you are right many a person thanked you for your help even for a quarter. More than i get from some big box stores. Anyways I like the proposal and it would enhance the downtown. It will be a nice cluster when Baydo gets done.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricopedra View Post
^^^You guys are really going to have to walk me through this. Even when I lived in Vancouver and went to school in the downtown Eastside, it was never like you guys are describing Saskatoon.

Why are all the drug addicts hanging around 25th st and Spadina, hassling folks? And why, while the police station so newly prominent just a few blocks away is there not more patrolling of an area that obviously needs help, to moderate these fackers? And what are they doing there outside in the winter? Is there no downtime from this dark pressure of poverty?

What I really think the problem is, is that Saskatonians have never experienced big city issues.
No this is not east hastings level crime activity, but it is extremely bad for a city as small as Saskatoon. If you extrapolated it to a Vancouver size city it is extremely worse than East Hastings. Most of the crime isn’t even getting reported by the police. For example my airbnb neighbour was being assaulted a few months ago and the airbnb owner didn’t even know since the police don’t record the unit numbers downtown. It’s too scary to live here much longer. This has been nonstop the last 4 years downtown, windows being smashed, fear of walking late at night. Density will help with it but obviously our social services need to help these people more. The police haven’t even been reporting the police calls to rental condos downtown related to assault - it’s insane. I’ve brought it up to our city councillor but she’s too focused on Nutana and is happy with the pocket change we’ve received from Sask Party to bandaid our social programming and services downtown to date. I’ve travelled way too many cities to know to know that it makes more sense to find a job outside of Saskatoon and sell my downtown condo than wait for Sask Party’s Social Services to fix the problem.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 5:38 AM
Peddling to progress

I truly enjoy that the address information at the top of the letter was blacked out for privacy, but Trish's name was clear as day at the bottom. Someone had ONE job. Almost akin to finding a spelling or grammatical error in an edited news publication

Like most people have said, the "deficiencies" are laughable. Also, which of Trish's neighbours are complaining about a white wall replacing a gravel parking lot? I'm not saying it is an upgrade, but doesn't it have to be at least a wash ascetically speaking?!?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 6:26 PM

Saskatoon’s violent crime rate increased by close to 13 per cent in the latest 2019 data, to 2,250 people per 100,000 last year from 1,995 per 100,000 people in 2018.

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...jumped-in-2019

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 8:48 PM

Any pictures of Baydo project roryn1

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 4:05 AM

I was browsing through the documents on the appeals board for Meridian's Tower, and there's one document containing their arguments in favour of the appeal, which is an interesting read. This especially stood out:

It certainly pours cold water on any narrative of a predatory developer preying on a down-on-its-luck church.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 3:38 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 8:49 PM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 4:10 PM

I often find these "headline" reports so misleading. It fails to acknowledge that the vast majority of these 'violent' crimes are NOT random. The threat to the general population is not as high as these reports often portray. This was acknowledged by 2 different profs at U of S and U of R who specialize in this area.

Nevertheless, the horrible increase in opioid overdoses this year once again points out to some of our social supports failing. (safe drug/injection site anyone????) And sometimes actual stats do not matter if the perception is that we are a crime city. Lots of work to do, regardless.

RE:Meridian
Good on them for working so closely with Knox Church and pursuing a mutually beneficial agreement with them. Hope the fact the church is so onside will calm the NIMBY"s down!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 9:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
^^Nice. Thanks Echoes. I thought the church must be on side with Meridian, but I didn't know that much on side! Maybe the overhanging balconies will be forgiven, or approved by Knox church as being within their property and not across any lines.

roryn1: The crime stats are crazy, especially for violent crime - the worst kind. Drug addicts are for sure the most desperate of individuals. They need that fix.

Could it be possible that the city sue for compensation from the pharma companies for some of the massive payout cash they've recently been ordered to pay due to the peddling of, basically, heroin? Then hopefully the city would use that cash to address the addiction chaos.
Drugs aren’t the problem. A lack of a meaningful life and the refusal for our wealthy society to provide our people’s material needs (jobs, housing, food, mental healthcare, etc) is the problem. Drug addiction and the crime that comes with it won’t be solved by more police and suing drug manufacturers. Isn’t it obvious that the “war on drugs” was a massive failure?

Last edited by djforsberg; Oct 30, 2020 at 9:49 PM.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 2:29 AM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 8:49 PM.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 3:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
No, it's drugs. Addiction to them, to be more specific. The war on drugs was a bs campaign from the states targeting other countries and illicit drugs, and never dealt with addiction, a very serious problem that'll help you lose your cushy job faster than an injection.
The greatest problem now is synthetic heroin, which is much stronger and more addictive than the real thing. It's promoted heavily by the drug companies that manufacture oxycontin, etc. and prescribed for simple pain, by doctors influenced by the sales reps. Now it's manufactured by creeps. You can even buy it online from China. You must be aware of this by now? Jeez.
There’s drug addiction in my family. It’s not the drugs. This is a demand-side problem, not supply-side. Drug manufacturers are just taking advantage of the situation. If it wasn’t crack or meth my brother was addicted to, it would be food or sex. If it wasn’t pain-killers or alcohol for my father it would be gambling. Trust me, I know a lot about this topic.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 3:22 PM

The Knox Tower has now been made public and I sense(fear) there is going to be a lot of push back on this project. I always find the "negative" voices on issues tend to be the most vocal. So.....if you do support this project, make sure that your voice is heard via email/letter to city councilor and maybe let Meridian know on their Facebook page.

They got a lot of negativism on their Escala project which I thought may have soured them, so lets let them know that some of us DO support their innovative and quality work.

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...atoon-churches

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 3:43 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 8:50 PM.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 4:06 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 8:50 PM.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 4:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean and I don't want to question the problems in your family, but vices are not so run-a-boutly interchangeable. An alcoholic needs booze and he or she couldn't give a f%$# about pot. Some gamble, some don't. If an alcoholic decides to quit, they can lead a great, productive life. They're not just going to change into a sex addict. (BTW, isn't everyone a sex addict?>)

djforsberg, I really hope you can find an open mind to accept your family and be helpful instead of critical. Good luck. EVERY FAMILY has a black sheep uncle or aunt, at bare minimum.

Just for good measure, I'm an alcoholic and a gambler, and functioning merrily. But I'd never smoke or do heroin. What's your vice? C'mon, be honest! Cheers!
Ah, so it makes sense that you would blame the crutch, then. I hope you figure out the reasons for your addictions so that you can find peace. Me, I would say I’m addicted to food, more than anything. Maybe I should sue the sugar industry. That would fix me.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 4:34 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 8:51 PM.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 4:42 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 8:51 PM.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 4:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Exactly! Now you're getting it. And understanding why they're getting sued. Now we can use the money to set up clinics and wean the poor bastard addicts off the drugs and get them job placements. Right?
There’s no getting it. I already do. It’s you who can’t have a mature conversation about this without taking it personally and attacking me for being honest and open about my family. A majority of mental illness today is caused by the pressure put on us by neoliberal policies of “pull up your bootstraps” and if you are incapable, then it’s your own fault. Why do you think the opioid epidemic is effecting the white working class in areas decimated by free trade? Social media and now the isolating effects of the pandemic are exacerbating these problems. Come on, you can’t be this dense. Suing drug manufacturers won’t solve the problem.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan