HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 10:48 PM

As an aside, on the subject of water parks, Fun Mountain may not be as popular as it once was whenever it opens if people see the public comments of the owner...

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
Seeing these plans for the area it’s quite alarming. It’s already busy on a daily basis. I think residents should be pushing for a few interchanges in the widening of kenaston plan. Grant and Corydon especially.
Even though in theory it'd be nice at Corydon, don't think there's any chance – shoulda planned that 70 years ago. It's quite walkable around there, lots of residential and sidewalk-scale commercial right nearby. At most maybe Kenaston overpass of the regular intersection (is that a diamond?), but still I think it'd kill the area.

Grant however should definitely have a diamond, there's plenty of room and that's the busiest intersection.

No chance at Taylor, not nearly enough traffic. If they do anything to improve the Taylor intersection in should be to close the intersection and make all turns RIRO. If you live between Grant and Taylor in River Heights and want to go south on Kenaston, either use Waverley to Sterling Lyon, or go the new Grant interchange. Same goes for south of Grant wanting to go south on Kenaston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
As an aside, on the subject of water parks, Fun Mountain may not be as popular as it once was whenever it opens if people see the public comments of the owner...
I'm certain this is a big factor. The amount of posts I've seen ripping her... yikes.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I seem to remember in one of the big announcements, the development team said they're happy and willing to work with the city to parcel off whatever the required land needs are to do the Kenaston widening.
As I said, working with the City on a deal for land on the west side needed for Kenaston widening is likely still a possibility right now but would also likely be a land swap deal, not a straight sale and expropriation is almost certainly a complete no-go. For example might the City be willing to give up the land they own near the works, including Shaw Park, in trade for the land needed for Kenaston? The Forks area is well known as traditional indigenous land so it would make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
In early maps they showed an allowance for Kenaston Widening. The City would buy the land off them like any other land owner.
Pretty sure a simple, straight "sale" of the land won't happen. The Treaty One group fought in court for the better part of a decade to secure that land. Even looking past the complexities of selling indigenous owned land the price would likely be far higher than the City would pay. The far more likely option would be a land swap deal, give land somewhere else within the city but it is going to need a fairly high value.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 4:41 PM

The master plan for the site has been released this morning:

https://u5r.71f.myftpupload.com/wp-c...March-2021.pdf

Quote:

This conceptual illustration depicts the northernmost parcel (Block E) of the redevelopment. The ring-road, together with diagonal parkway corridors, connects
this new community with the adjacent neighbourhoods and offers residents and visitors access by a variety of transportation modes. Featuring Commercial uses
along Route 90 and a Mixed-Use Village along Grant Ave., Block E is predominantly characterized by a large Community Space surrounded by single and multiunit residences. The conceptual design of the community space follows this Plan’s landscape guiding principles, emphasizing First Nations design and culture and
encouraging support for First Nations artists.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Last edited by Wpg_Guy; Mar 11, 2021 at 5:04 PM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 5:13 PM

It's interesting that the parts owned by Canada Lands company are mostly medium density residential. Where as the parts owned by Treaty One are primarily commercial and less dense. Different goals I suppose.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 5:35 PM
There is always a way

Nothing exciting but not offensive either. My concern is that adding all these new access points is going to further contribute to the congestion on Kenaston.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 6:09 PM

Kenaston is a lost cause anyways. The City has no will or money to do anything. Call me cynical or whatever you want. It's the truth. It was like $500 million to add the new lanes.

Kapyong is as expected. Homes, commercial, etc. Nothing earth shattering. Hopefully it works out. Phase 1 is residential at the south end along Taylor.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 6:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Nothing exciting but not offensive either. My concern is that adding all these new access points is going to further contribute to the congestion on Kenaston.
Maybe those building on the Kapyong Lands should be forced to contribute to road infrastructure!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 7:56 PM
Back from the dead

I think it looks pretty good but I would have preferred to see a couple high density areas.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Looks like most of them will be right in right outs so that should minimize the impact on traffic... unless I'm misinterpreting the plans, it looks like there might be one new full intersection on Kenaston?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 9:17 PM
Source?

The layout reminds me of something from the 70s/80s.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 10:37 PM

Looks okay to me. I never really thought there would suddenly be a row of high-rises or anything dramatic there, so as long as the development benefits the First Nations communities it's all good. IMO of course.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 11:16 PM
surely you agree with me

Look at the plan again and realize the light green/brown is surface parking. Much of the green around the housing blocks will be too. The Kenaston side will look exactly like the other side of the road. Big boxes, gas stations, car dealerships and parking lots. Lots and lots of parking lots.

There’s not a street in the whole thing. Not sure where those urban looking plazas and storefronts are supposed to be. Along Grant, I guess?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 1:11 AM

This project reminds me of my grandparents' retirement community in Phoenix

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 1:18 AM

Interestingly they did not add any offsets for Kenanston widening. Buildings are shown built up to the existing width. Does this mean that the widening project is dead?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 1:42 AM
surely you agree with me

Hopefully, but it’s likely they want to negotiate that land with the city. Don’t want to show their cards.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 4:02 AM

They have land set aside. These are architectural type renders.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 4:12 AM

It's funny because it is nearly identical to what is east of Kenaston. Some retail, with a mishmash of medium density residential housing. Nothing new here.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 4:23 AM

On a technical note, the land piece in the middle of that yin yang lake is likely there because of the 7' diameter combined sewer that is 18' deep that runs north through the entire site. Moving that would be pricey.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 5:51 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
On a technical note, the land piece in the middle of that yin yang lake is likely there because of the 7' diameter combined sewer that is 18' deep that runs north through the entire site. Moving that would be pricey.
Yup, you're right, because it's also noted in the master plan on page 50.

That's interesting that an existing combined sewer is underneath, and that's assuming because of the base before, was it not?

Now, I'm not so sure.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan