HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 12:34 AM

How Tech Wrecked San Francisco

From today's WaPo:

..Michael Feno stands outside Lucca Ravioli, his beloved pasta emporium on Valencia, a vestige of old San Francisco, puffing on a cigar while posing for pictures, his customers in tears.

Living in this city’s radically shifting landscape, veterinarian Gina Henriksen found comfort by telling herself, “Thank God, Lucca is still here. If Lucca goes, I’m going to have to leave San Francisco. What do we have left?”

Lucca is no longer here.

After 94 years, doors shuttered on the last day of April. The parking lot sold for $3.5 million. A three-building parcel, including the store, listed for $8.3 million and was purchased by — need you inquire? — a developer...

...or decades, this coruscating city of hills, bordered by water on three sides, was a beloved haven for reinvention, a refuge for immigrants, bohemians, artists and outcasts. It was the great American romantic city, the Paris of the West.

No longer. In a time of scarce consensus, everyone agrees that something has rotted in San Francisco.

Conservatives have long loathed it as the axis of liberal politics and political correctness, but now progressives are carping, too. They mourn it for what has been lost, a city that long welcomed everyone and has been altered by an earthquake of wealth. It is a place that people disparage constantly, especially residents...

...San Francisco has less of what makes a city dynamic. It has the lowest percentage of children, 13.4 percent, of any major American city, and is home to about as many dogs as humans under the age of 18.

The city was once a center of black culture, and Breed is its first black woman mayor. But the African American population has withered to 5.5 percent compared to 13.4 percent a half century ago. ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...=.d662c31eeb53

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 12:47 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Seems the price level hasn’t kept pace with incomes

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 1:59 AM

I've learned not to take numbers on SF too seriously since the area is quite small. However, even if you take into account the cities around it and it's suburbs, the picture doesn't get much better...

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 2:05 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

Tech is the great boogeyman that's convenient to hate but any successful industry would have had the same effect.

In the USA we've never had any qualms about private property ownership, charging market rents, and the right for anyone to buy property that is up for sale. Situations like these are just part of the deal.

Did the person who buy that old restaurant break any laws?

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 4:36 AM

This has been a big Bay Area complaint for decades, though. Here are a couple pages from an October 1982 edition of National Geographic:

Note the text in the caption: At $24,000 a year, per family income ranks among the highest in the nation, yet roof-raising real estate prices make affordable housing scarce.

Same as it ever was...

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 5:32 AM

In other news, SF surpassed Zurich for having the highest salaries in the world. Good for the individual, bad for the city’s cultural growth.

https://sf.curbed.com/2019/5/21/1863...hest-worldwide

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 8:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
... this coruscating city of hills, bordered by water on three sides, was a beloved haven for reinvention, a refuge for immigrants, bohemians, artists and outcasts. It was the great American romantic city, the Paris of the West.

No longer. In a time of scarce consensus, everyone agrees that something has rotted in San Francisco.

Conservatives have long loathed it as the axis of liberal politics and political correctness, but now progressives are carping, too. They mourn it for what has been lost, a city that long welcomed everyone and has been altered by an earthquake of wealth. It is a place that people disparage constantly, especially residents...

...San Francisco has less of what makes a city dynamic. It has the lowest percentage of children, 13.4 percent, of any major American city, and is home to about as many dogs as humans under the age of 18.

The city was once a center of black culture, and Breed is its first black woman mayor. But the African American population has withered to 5.5 percent compared to 13.4 percent a half century ago. ...[/I]

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...=.d662c31eeb53
I have lived in San Francisco now for 37 years. That entire time, people have been saying the city used to be different and better than now and with some justification on certain details. In a way, the roaring Gold Rush city or the Metropolis of the West that it was just before the Great Earthquake or, if you are gay, the no-holds-barred gay party town of the late 1970s before AIDS appeared in 1982 or so were its high marks (although I moved to town in 1982 and remember talking with friends about the "gay plague" that had just appeared, I was a regular visitor from 1976 onward).

I do agree that several trends have combined to give the city a bland uniformity in which everybody you meet seems to be a Millennial Tech Bro (or sistah) and the things they favor, from Audi dealerships (Audi seems to be the new Porsche) to designer ice cream (Bi-Rite in the Mission) are everywhere.

The trends I'm mainly referring to are not just tech coming to utterly dominate the economy but also:

1. The death of local retail engendered by Amazon.com and other online sellers (nobody needs even Lucca any more when you can buy Italian groceries online and have them delivered to your door).

2. The swamping of the city by mentally ill long-term homeless people and the city's inability to devise a plan to deal with them (it pours money--which it has plenty of--on them but it makes no demands on them to respect the housed or normal social rules like don't take sh*t on a main downtown sidewalk in mid-afternoon as crowds walk by).

3. The complete victory of left-wing--and moving farther left by the day--politics which seems to believe there is nothing that shouldn't be taxed including the geese currently laying golden eggs (currently they want to tax IPOs--numerous local tech companies are taking that step this year--and Uber rides--Uber is headquartered in the city). Another manifestation of Progressive domination is the $15/hr minimum wage combined with mandatory health insurance and paid leave to care for sick friends etc which are well on their way to eliminating low-priced restaurants which were once one of the city's most attractive features (chain fast food was never big but now it's almost gone--I'm talking more about ethnic eateries). I had lunch last week with a friend at a small Middle Eastern place (and I'm on a diet so I just had a plate of hummus and baba ganoush and salad): The bill was almost $50 plus tip (no alcoholic beverages). This may have been the straw that broke Lucca's back (that and the land their store sat on being worth more than the business could make in generations).

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 2:02 PM

Be careful what you wish for...

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 2:13 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 2:24 PM

Huh, almost like it was a mistake to permit an enormous amount of office space to be added to the metro/city but very little housing.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 2:24 PM

^^

Pittsburgh has seen a big influx of "tech types" over the past decade. With them has come money, and that has given us better restaurants.

But other than that, computer nerds fucking suck.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
Tech is the great boogeyman that's convenient to hate but any successful industry would have had the same effect.
Some people would consider an industry whose major players generate consistent multi-year profit margins in the range of 25-30% and upwards (even with blowing as much money as possible on tons of acquisitions, vanity projects, and compensation) to be anti competitive rent-seekers taking money from the rest of the economy. So, yeah, along with the big banks (who see similar consistent profits), tech does make a great boogeyman, perhaps because it is one.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 3:03 PM

as a tech bro that would walk past lucas every morning to catch the apple shuttle to the southbay I can definitely say tech bros were awful to be around in. On the weekends i would just head to the east or north bay because the mission would get super obnoxious. Later on when i moved to san jose to be closer to work I realized there was a difference between silicon valley and SF tech dudes, with the latter being more obnoxious. And tbh tech bros weren't the only ones with money moving into the Mission, but at restaurants they were the most obnoxious about discussing their work projects for everyone to hear as if everyone cared that they were able to scale their app for 100000 users.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 3:07 PM
The City

^ Basically they're a bunch of dorks, probably with zero social skills

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 3:07 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
^^
now that the nerds have won, maybe the zeitgeist is now right for someone to make a "Revenge of the Jocks".

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 3:39 PM

sadly i never got to go to lucca as they were always closed by the time i would get back to the mission from the southbay and i would just head to another italian import shop in the north shore to buy giardenera imported from Chicago

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 3:40 PM

Quote:
^^

Pittsburgh has seen a big influx of "tech types" over the past decade. With them has come money, and that has given us better restaurants.

But other than that, computer nerds fucking suck.

damn dude we do exist

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
now that the nerds have won, maybe the zeitgeist is now right for someone to make a "Revenge of the Jocks".
Yes, totally

The movement is building...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
damn dude we do exist
I realize it all too well.

It's hard for me to imagine a more uncool scene than the Ace Hotel lobby bar on a Friday night here in Pittsburgh. I've never seen a more socially-inept, self-important, affected congregation of dudes who actually think they're cool. And I would never say this if they didn't outwardly act like smug, superior assholes. The redeeming factor is that I have also not seen so many girls roll their eyes in response to their lame behavior in one setting during one block of time.

Those are the nerds I'm talking about... I would bet that you are not one of them.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Yes, totally

The movement is building...

I realize it all too well.

It's hard for me to imagine a more uncool scene than the Ace Hotel lobby bar on a Friday night here in Pittsburgh. I've never seen a more socially-inept, self-important, affected congregation of dudes who actually think they're cool. And I would never say this if they didn't outwardly act like smug, superior assholes. The redeeming factor is that I have also not seen so many girls roll their eyes in response to their lame behavior in one setting during one block of time.

Those are the nerds I'm talking about... I would bet that you are not one of them.
I think rich people in general tend to act self-important. Not just nerds.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I think rich people in general tend to act self-important. Not just nerds.
Maybe. And that points out something important... a lot of these tech nerds are not rich, and even if they are, they're definitely not cool, nor is how they make their money.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions