HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 1:08 AM
>~< , QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
H1N1 killed over 12,000 people in 2009. Did you change your life at all during that pandemic? Of course not. The media treated as a second rate story and our political leaders didn't close down anything.

Again, I am not criticizing the government's decisions here to close things down. Hell, I was just walking my dog and talked with a cop about why they aren't clamping down on people letting their kids play on playground equipment(like...20 mins ago). I just want a measurable way of ending this. Not only that, but I also want us to be rational. The whole "if we can save ONE life" isn't going to work. Not when over 1 million people in California lost their jobs(or something around that) in ONE WEEK. We make choices about what risks we are willing to take every day. This is another choice we will have to make.
Hah was that the Coliseum park playground? I noticed kids playing there too. Even worse was the basketball court at the Hilliard Homes, which was full of teens hanging out and playing basketball.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 2:01 AM

It hasn't even been a full week yet since Governor Newsom's California-wide stay at home order, but some people here have been acting like they've been sequestered for 2 months or something. If anything, this pandemic has shown what a bunch of pussies a lot of people are.

---Hugo Chávez

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 2:15 AM
homesick alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
If there were a precipitous rise in pneumonia and respiratory deaths compared to previous years I might be more worried. I'm sure were all Facebook virologists at this point too but after spending four weeks devouring every stat I could find, it just doesn't seem like this year is any different than previous years. The cdc tracks all like bloodhound and you can way more respiratory deaths in previous seasons. Also, if the patient zero was clinically isolated at the beginning of November, that means covid was probably stewing around central china since last fall. Do you know how many disembarkations there are between the was west coast and mainland china? Thousands!!! That thing already rolled thru the PNW before xmas. My entire office had a weird hacky cough for month. Nobody blinked an eye. I'm praying for you nyc folks right now though. Fuck I want my country back..
Man this line of thinking sounds exactly like my libertarian friends’ views. It must be going around the podcasts.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 2:17 AM

SARS-CoV-2 is much deadlier than H1N1, but finally a dumb debate where red states can blaze out and be dumb. Won't be much domestic air travel by then so have at it. See you at Reconstruction II

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 2:28 AM

Ya know this is probably the first time 95% of people in the West have ever heard of the city of Wuhan. It will likely always be known to Westerners for coronavirus and little else, which is a shame especially since it's a proper mega-city.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 3:22 AM
ψ Sailor of the Mind ψ

NYC’s Elmhurst Hospital at coronavirus breaking point as 13 patients die in 24-hour spa

Quote:
New York’s Elmhurst Hospital is at a breaking point amid the coronavirus crisis — with 13 patients dying there in a 24-hour span, officials said Wednesday.

The number of deaths recorded at the Queens facility between Tuesday and Wednesday was “consistent with the amount of ICU patients being treated there,” a spokesman for the city public hospital systems said in a statement.

“Elmhurst is at the center of this crisis,” said Christopher Miller. “It’s the number one priority of our public hospital system right now.”

“Staff are doing everything in our power to save every person who contracts COVID-19,” Miller said.

“But unfortunately this virus continues to take an especially terrible toll on the elderly and people with preexisting conditions.”

Officials say the 545-bed hospital is overrun and in desperate need of supplies.
=======================
NY Post

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 3:25 AM
ψ Sailor of the Mind ψ

Coronavirus, strade deserte a New York per il lockdown

Video Link

Some aerial footage.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 4:07 AM
ψ Sailor of the Mind ψ

Senate approves $2 trillion stimulus deal.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 4:22 AM

So I guess we prepare for massive inflation now.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 4:35 AM

The bill has goodies for everyone, some designed for effect, some with elections a big factor. It'll help stabilize things but only partially, and with a lot of gaps we can hope they'll also address soon.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 4:36 AM

Pretty insane all things considered. We're constantly told medicare for all and cancelling student debt are pie in the sky fantasies and how will we pay for it all? Yet here we are dumping a trillions of dollars just as an initial stimulus package and even deferring student loan payments untill September.

So it turns out we can actually do these things when we want to! very interesting.

Last edited by The North One; Mar 26, 2020 at 4:54 AM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
Man this line of thinking sounds exactly like my libertarian friends’ views. It must be going around the podcasts.
I'm not even trying to be tinfoily (and I've got reams of tinfoil). There are conflicting views of when the first Chinese patient was identified and they found three with the virus at the beginning of November that didn't even have any connection with that market. That's true. And if 80 percent of the cases tend to be mild, it could have easily started passing through the nw by December. Wuhan is like the Chinese Detroit and Pittsburgh during their golden age so there is lots of technology firm business between there and the west coast
Not crazy logic. Anyway, I'm puzzled as to why this virus is getting so much special attn? You want tinfoil??? Boy I could talk your ear off at this juncture but I'll spare you. Its definitely being politicized like fffkn crazy tho...wash yer hands!!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 4:51 AM
ψ Sailor of the Mind ψ

I'm kinda of worried for NYC and NJ. Like how long this lock-down will occur with respect to the state/city. Its one thing to lock down Kansas, but to severely limit an Alpha++ metro, its a different ball game. One arguably more important to the nation.

This essential vs non-essential close down was what caused a lot of folks to get laid off or furloughed. I just question, if other parts of the country reopen (if...), how long it will drag on in the tri-state.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
I'm not even trying to be tinfoily (and I've got reams of tinfoil). There are conflicting views of when the first Chinese patient was identified and they found three with the virus at the beginning of November that didn't even have any connection with that market. That's true. And if 80 percent of the cases tend to be mild, it could have easily started passing through the nw by December. Wuhan is like the Chinese Detroit and Pittsburgh during their golden age so there is lots of technology firm business between there and the west coast
Not crazy logic. Anyway, I'm puzzled as to why this virus is getting so much special attn? You want tinfoil??? Boy I could talk your ear off at this juncture but I'll spare you. Its definitely being politicized like fffkn crazy tho...wash yer hands!!
The virus has definitely been down here in New Orleans since at least Mardi Gras in late February. Lambeth House (retirement home) is the epicenter of our outbreak and site of the first death about two weeks ago. Most of the people that were in the group of initial infections and deaths were very active in the Carnival balls that occurred around Mardi Gras.

Millions of people from all over the world right next to each other for parades meant that community spread was probably going like gangbusters. I wouldn't be shocked if I have already had the virus given that I was at parades and packed into a bar with friends visiting from out of state over that weekend. Three of those friends were sick as a dog for several days upon returning home with what they thought was the flu (San Diego, Nashville, and Myrtle Beach were the cities they flew back to). My boss was in the same boat for several days after Mardi Gras. He had the classic symptoms of COVID-19. Dry cough, high fever, shortness of breath, and little to no energy. Several other co-workers then fell ill in my office over the next week or so. It took everyone a good 5 to 7 days to get over it. God knows how many I potentially transmitted it to over those two weeks after Mardi Gras.

That rampant community spread during Mardi Gras also explains why New Orleans has one of the highest rates of confirmed cases per capita (those who are sick enough to get approved for testing) in the country right now. I would not be shocked if over half the population has already been exposed to the virus and contracted it. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ctors-n1167741

The lockdown in the city started March 14th, and it does appear to be paying off (with data that is likely 5 to 7 days old). The curve has started to flatten out. Hopefully, that trend will continue. https://ready.nola.gov/home/?utm_sou..._medium=banner

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 7:19 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I'm kinda of worried for NYC and NJ. Like how long this lock-down will occur with respect to the state/city. Its one thing to lock down Kansas, but to severely limit an Alpha++ metro, its a different ball game. One arguably more important to the nation.

This essential vs non-essential close down was what caused a lot of folks to get laid off or furloughed. I just question, if other parts of the country reopen (if...), how long it will drag on in the tri-state.
All of the layoffs and economic gut punches would probably happen anyway if you just left everything open and allowed the virus to spread like wildfire throughout the populace, so why not save a bunch of lives instead?

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 8:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Exactly. I asked for a dog poop bag from a lady the other day and she placed it on the ground for me to pick up. That's a new normal.

I think the point you brought up, the boredom many are experiencing, and the nice weather today in Chicago is what caused all the people to pretty much act like nothing is going on on the lakefront and in parks around the city. I drove down LSD and couldn't believe the number of people out. Large groups too. And as I pointed out, people were letting their kids play on the playground equipment that had signs that said not to. The mayor threatened to shut shit down today and I think after what I saw today, she will.

And that pisses me off(not at her, but all the people not paying attention) lol I've been biking on the lakeshore to clear my head every day and if I lose that one outlet...I don't know. I guess I can just ride on the streets, but it's way less stress-relieving for me.
So today I decided to microwave my newspaper.

Quote:
Can Your Microwave at Home Kill Viruses?

The short answer is YES. In fact, there is research on using the microwave in your kitchen to kill lethal viruses like HIV (1). How much for how long?

First, there’s the power of your microwave. This is measured in watts. The higher the watts, the shorter the cooking time. The above study used a wattage of 800. The average microwave oven these days has a wattage of about 1,000 (from my review of what’s being sold on Google). It seems hard to buy a microwave with less than 700 watts, so yours likely has more than enough power.

Second, for how long do you need to cook? The above study observed the destruction of the virus at 2 minutes at 800 watts. So 2 minutes in the average microwave should be more than enough time.

How About Coronaviruses?

Another study looked at the coronavirus called IBV (Avian Coronavirus) and a kitchen microwave (wattage not reported but they noted that this was a kitchen model) (2). The researchers couldn’t isolate this coronavirus (meaning it was dead) with an exposure of as little as 5 seconds!
https://regenexx.com/blog/coronaviru...l-coronavirus/

I gave it 15 seconds on a side--afraid to go much longer because it might catch on fire.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 8:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
The virus has definitely been down here in New Orleans since at least Mardi Gras in late February.
Having a routine Mardi Gras was definitely a bad idea and the politicans who decided to do that should be tossed out next election.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 8:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Pretty insane all things considered. We're constantly told medicare for all and cancelling student debt are pie in the sky fantasies and how will we pay for it all? Yet here we are dumping a trillions of dollars just as an initial stimulus package and even deferring student loan payments untill September.

So it turns out we can actually do these things when we want to! very interesting.
We can do it ONCE. We can't do it many times for many reasons.

I'd take Medicare for All out of this discussion because I personally think Bernie is correct--Under MFA total medical costs should be less than now which means it's just a matter of apportioning who pays them and how (a tax would be substituted for insurance premiums, for example, but your total outlay for health care could well be less).

But cancelling student debt could cost trillions, meaning then we might not have had the trillions for something like coronavirus, and if we then go on to make college free as the same people want it would cost more trillions year after year after year. We are already paying for college, of course, as we are already paying for medical care, but it transfers the cost of education from the people whose lifetime incomes would benefit from it to the government and thus the rest of us.

Then there's the green new deal and all the other trillions the left wants to spend. There are not endless trillions available without debassing the currency. We can pay for it with bonds, piling up the federal debt and having the Federal Reserve buy that debt with new printed dollars as they may do with the trillions being spent on coronavirus. The result of that, of course, would be Zimbabwe-level inflation.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post

Yes. The only drawback is total economic destruction.

There is action now because the Baby Boomers are affected. There are going to be many more things like this as they are dragged kicking and screaming into old age, unable to accept their own mortality.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 1:23 PM

The US government could afford it, it's just that they don't want to afford it. They'd rather spend the tax revenue on other "things" and keep "donating" to certain countries year after year after year.

---Hugo Chávez

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions