HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
RyeJay, I have come to the conclusion that there is no point in arguing with you. You have your own opinions that are strongly held and no amount of discourse will change them.
You're not the only one who has come to that conclusion MonctonRad.... lol

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 7:13 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_d40 View Post
http://plaza.ca/properties-NB.php?pr...ew%20Brunswick

Any idea what the "Moncton East Lands" is referring to?
The only mention I can find of it is the Plaza Corp listing and a few posts on here referring to it.

Unless they're referring to one of the small strip malls around Harrisville and Shediac Roads, it must be the oft-rumoured yet still unbuilt retail development that is supposed to go up along Harrisville Blvd. There have been for-sale signs along there for quite some time. In spite of the ridiculous construction that's happened on the Dieppe side of that overpass, the new hotel at the corner of Harrisville and Rt 15 is the only substantial thing to get started there in a few years. With Mountain Road pretty much packed now and a relative lack of commercial space in the East end, it might make sense for the next big project to happen out there.

I don't think it will happen for a while though, unless it starts off as a grocery store at first and adds over time. It's no secret how over saturated the moncton retail market is. Now that the new mall on Mapleton is actually moving again, it might be a couple years before there's enough demand to justify it. A grocery store like Sobeys would make sense there though. There's a Co-op on Dieppe blvd about 2km away, but other than that, your nearest grocery stores would be on Paul St and Elmwood, and there has been a lot of residential construction in the area.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 12:19 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Yes, the "Moncton East Lands" refer to property along the northeast corner of the Veterans Highway/Harrisville Blvd interchange, across from the soon-to-be-constructed Fairfield Inn.

Plaza Corp has owned this land for several years. The principle rumour is that there would be a retail strip built there, anchored by a Sobeys.

BTW, you have the honour of the 10,000th post Michael, congratulations!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
With Mountain Road pretty much packed now and a relative lack of commercial space in the East end, it might make sense for the next big project to happen out there.
Yes, but what about that strip mall at the northwest corner of Harrisville and Shediac? For the longest time its only tenant was that cafe. Did it ever fill out? or are there still empty store fronts?

Perhaps the hotel will kick start some development in that area. Harrisville may be facing some of the same issues as Mapleton for a few reasons: 1. up and coming commercial development including at hotel. 2. two-lane road, probably inadequate to handle the upcoming increase in traffic. 3. adjacent interchange at H-15 which is already inadequate to handle the current traffic load.

This could soon mean another large infrastructure investment for the city and the province. Dieppe has been lobbying for improvements to that interchange, this may force the province to get moving on this!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 6:55 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
Yes, but what about that strip mall at the northwest corner of Harrisville and Shediac? For the longest time its only tenant was that cafe. Did it ever fill out? or are there still empty store fronts?
The only unit in that little plaza occupied is that bistro. I hear it has good food but I have never tried it. I imagine the principle problem with this plaza is that there is no other commercial nearby and the density on that part of Shediac Road isn't that high.

Quote:
Perhaps the hotel will kick start some development in that area. Harrisville may be facing some of the same issues as Mapleton for a few reasons: 1. up and coming commercial development including at hotel. 2. two-lane road, probably inadequate to handle the upcoming increase in traffic. 3. adjacent interchange at H-15 which is already inadequate to handle the current traffic load.
The Mapleton overpass over Wheeler had to be widened in order to deal with traffic pressures from increased retail and commercial development on Mapleton Road and on Trinity Drive and Plaza Blvd. When this was completed, this certainly helped to expedite additional development in the area

The same issues exist at the Harrisville/Dieppe Blvd interchange at Rte 15.

The traffic there is already insane:
- this is the main connector between the Dieppe and Caledonia Industrial Parks
- this is a principle exit for the GMIA
- this is the main entry to the uptown Dieppe area
- this is a shortcut to the TCH, especially heading west for the entire east end of the metro area

The overpass is now a (tight) three lanes, it needs to be five lanes at least. This would improve through traffic and would make the lands along Harrisville much more attractive to development. This should be a high priority item for the Moncton and Dieppe city councils, the GMIA and the management of the industrial parks.

Quote:
This could soon mean another large infrastructure investment for the city and the province. Dieppe has been lobbying for improvements to that interchange, this may force the province to get moving on this!
Amen to that. As far as I'm concerned, this should be a higher priority item than the full interchange at the maint exit for the GMIA on the 15.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
As far as I'm concerned, this should be a higher priority item than the full interchange at the maint exit for the GMIA on the 15.
Both Harrisville/Dieppe blvd and GMIA interchanges need to be upgraded. A full interchange at the airport would indeed help ease some of the pressure off of the other, but I think the bottleneck effect on Dieppe blvd is probably a more pressing concern right now and should go ahead first. I think that is the government's plan anyway. If it is, GMIA management isn't gonna like it, yet another interchange on 15 going up before theirs...even Scoudouc got their interchange and it must be handling less traffic on a daily basis than any area Tim Hortons drive-through

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 9:13 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

The problem with the GMIA exit is cost. That, and space.That rail spur would need to have high clearance so the overpass would need to be quite high. As such, you'd need especially long ramps to access it.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
The problem with the GMIA exit is cost. That, and space.That rail spur would need to have high clearance so the overpass would need to be quite high. As such, you'd need especially long ramps to access it.
That's right, there's a rail spur there, I forgot about that. Is there a plan out there showing how they would manage this? That line is coming right through where the overpass would be and at an angle, not an easy fix.

An at grade rail crossing on an expressway doesn't make much sense to begin with, to have it at an interchange with on/off ramps into the mix is even crazier, it should be at least relocated between GMIA and Dieppe blvd and at best be made into another separate overpass but we're talking big $$$$$.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 10:22 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Why is there an at-grade crossing on a freeway? Excellent question haha, but I can all but guarantee it was because of cost. The spur is used a few times a week and always at off-peak times. It would cost a fortune to re-route it, and even then, you'd be running into space issues regarding existing buildings (BMW, for example), and then the placement of the ramps for Dieppe Blvd and the airport.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 11:50 PM

Empire Theatres Dieppe

Here is a photo of the Empire Theatres in Dieppe. It was taken on February 12th in the afternoon.

Empire theatres Dieppe by Phil_5, on Flickr

I wonder if they will open in February. It seems like they still have some work to do.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 7:21 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Me wonders when will the Moncton ll thread will rise?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 1:19 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Excellent question.

I'm not really sure why they do retire pages. Once you get past a certain number of pages, going through page by page takes an excessive amount of time. Adding a few more won't make a difference.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 4:09 PM

I think I should get out and do a photo shoot sometime soon around the city of the construction. If not me someone should.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 5:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Do it.......just wait for a warmer day!!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 5:15 PM

I wont be back in the city till the 29th, but I will do it then for sure.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 11:30 PM

I'm on it. I have 4-5 ideas of sites I'd like to take pics of.

If you have any suggestions send them my way. I plan on heading out sometime this week/weekend.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 1:54 PM

Riverview - Major housing project moves ahead

Council approves layout of new streets, parkland for subdivision next to Moncton Golf & Country Club

BY ERIC LEWIS
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

It's been years in the making, but it appears as though a planned subdivision adjacent to the Moncton Golf & Country Club in Riverview is finally coming to fruition.

At its meeting last night, Riverview council approved the location of several streets and lands for public purpose in the subdivision, which will be a mixeduse, walkable development with sidewalks and public trails linking it with the multi-purpose trail on Gunningsville Boulevard.

Developed by Halifax's Clayton Developments, it is expected to eventually include 107 singleunit dwellings, 23 townhouse condominium clusters and 234 units in multi-unit buildings.

The project will start by extending Pinewood Road from where it currently ends (where it intersects with Country Club Road) and take it through the golf course lands, connecting it to Gunningsville Boulevard. It will then be developed to the north and south of Pinewood.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 2:05 PM

Is there anywhere online that shows a map of what this is going to look like?

Will be nice to see Gunningsville Blvd actually have some development near it as now it's nothing more than a long connecting road.

Also, they are clearing more trees from the area where the new School will be going in East Riverview. There is a huge pile of logs next to the Power station up behind the Water tower. Presently they have the land cleared out from behind the Nav Canada property pretty much all the way across past The Harmony Estate subdivision.

All that remains wooded up there is the NB Power right-of ways and the portion of land that Riverview owns that is presently only used for the Ski Trails in the winter. The plan is to eventually create park back there similar to Mapleton park.

Obviously the plan is to develop all this land into housing as well, likely to take a big jump once construction on the new school begins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good2go View Post
Riverview - Major housing project moves ahead

Council approves layout of new streets, parkland for subdivision next to Moncton Golf & Country Club

BY ERIC LEWIS
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

It's been years in the making, but it appears as though a planned subdivision adjacent to the Moncton Golf & Country Club in Riverview is finally coming to fruition.

At its meeting last night, Riverview council approved the location of several streets and lands for public purpose in the subdivision, which will be a mixeduse, walkable development with sidewalks and public trails linking it with the multi-purpose trail on Gunningsville Boulevard.

Developed by Halifax's Clayton Developments, it is expected to eventually include 107 singleunit dwellings, 23 townhouse condominium clusters and 234 units in multi-unit buildings.

The project will start by extending Pinewood Road from where it currently ends (where it intersects with Country Club Road) and take it through the golf course lands, connecting it to Gunningsville Boulevard. It will then be developed to the north and south of Pinewood.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 2:57 PM
I have no Title

Speaking of Riverview

Has anyone heard of The province going ahead with the causeway replacement plan?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 4:03 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
It would be interesting to know if this extension of Pinewood through the Moncton G&CC to Gunningsville Blvd would line up to the proposed Bridgedale Blvd which will (in the future) serve as the bypass around the eastern portion of Riverview. If so, this would make a nifty four way intersection on Gunningsville Blvd around which a retail/commercial node could develop.

Development in east Riverview has really taken off in the last five years or so, and probably accounts for the majority of the 7-8% increase in population of the town since the last census. This growth will likely accelerate with the opening of the new Gunningsville K-8 school within the next two years.

Bridgedale Blvd is to pass behind the new school. After the school opens, I would not be surprised if there was pressure to build this new street to serve as a connector as well as a bypass.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces