HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 8:38 PM

Great pics and updates, Matthew! I am really excited about the proposed projects in East End, including Ram's Point.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 11:50 PM
Fourth and Main

This is an exciting time for East End. They are seeing the most proposals for residential, office, retail, and even streetscape, cycling/pedestrian infrastructure, and art projects, I've ever seen for that part of the city! 2022 should be a great year for construction, as these projects and many others start breaking ground!

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. If you want to show support for downtown and this thread, providing photographs for us to use is the best way to do so.

Did you know: 85% of all the economic development inquiries in the 12-county Triad area are for the city of Winston-Salem.

Video Link

Roar:
A look at the bowling lane installation. Roar will have 10 lanes of bowling. This is the conversion of a former Ford Automobile Assembly Plant & Showroom, in downtown Winston-Salem's Arts District, into a food hall, bank office, event center, restaurants, and an entertainment center.

Bowling lane installation:

Credit: roar.ws

635 Vine Street:
A Northeastern biomedical company, interested in creating hundreds of jobs in downtown Winston-Salem, is expected to appear before City Council before the end-of-the-year. I'm guessing they will seek incentives? It's a code-named top-secret project, but I think the company is from Connecticut? I'm not 100% sure though? It's difficult to find information on these code-named projects and even more difficult to confirm it. If they sign a lease for the 243,000 square-foot space, it will be converted from office space to lab space.

Park at 74:

A rare update on this project:

Credit: landmarkbuildersinc

Mayfair @ Liberty Apartments:
Mayfair Street Partners are still in negotiations with the City for Mayfair @ Liberty Apartments and Merschel Park. Yes, that is the latest update. Yes, they have been in negotiations for a very long time.

Morris Building:
This building, in downtown's IQ District, was once the headquarters and distribution center for Food Lion and Food Fair grocery stores. It will be converted into retail/restaurant and entertainment space.

A work truck at the site?

Credit: kanon.ista

Bowman Gray Stadium Renovation:
The City of Winston-Salem is looking into adding a food truck area and an area for vendors.

The Gallery Ballroom:
This convention center project was 97% completed, as of a few days ago. A few small items, such as door locks, aren't completed. Some of the artwork is already installed, but the tunnel ceiling mural isn't completed. Interestingly, one of the art installations is a collection of paintings showing aerial views of Winston-Salem's street grid.

Credit: City of Winston-Salem

Truist Stadium Upgrades:
Major League Baseball is sending a group to review the ballpark and look for needed upgrades. We should know the results of this review around December 2021. The City of Winston-Salem will have three years to make the required upgrades.

Sparq New Venture & Small Business Launch Pad:
Raleigh-based Founded Communities is creating a new innovation and coworking space in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District, called Sparq. With that name, you know it's at Bailey Power Plant. Founded Communities uses innovation spaces and programming as a means for economic and community impact. Members in Winston-Salem will have access to attorneys, accountants and marketing professionals, as well as access to their other spaces in Raleigh and access to Durham's American Underground. Mark Owens said “As a globally-recognized leader in regenerative medicine, Winston-Salem and Forsyth County have great opportunity to attract and develop new innovations in life science, biotech and more. Our well-established entrepreneurial ecosystem develops the pathways to success for startups within these industries and others.” CJMW is the architect and Sparq will open early next year.

Winston-Salem is becoming one of the top cities to start a business in. It's interesting to see more of these spaces opening in the city. Noteworthy startup-related organizations from other tech cities are also wanting to take part in what is happening in downtown Winston-Salem.

Credit: CJMW

Metropolitan Mixed-use:
Developer Liberty Atlantic Group is interested in acquiring land from the City of Winston-Salem for their mixed-use development near downtown's IQ District. I think the land is already zoned for multi-family? This would allow the developer to expand the residential/retail/office project, according to the City.

Depot District:
Deacon Capital Asset Partners will build a 22,000 square-foot indoor hybrid hydroponic hemp-growing facility on the second floor of the Bull City Ciderworks Building. They received $350,000 in incentives from the State of North Carolina for the project, in exchange for creating around 30 new jobs and $2.5 million in capital investment.

Link Apartments 4th Street:
This project could open in Spring of next year, according to DWSP!

The Easley Apartments:

This is a very rare view from October 16, 2021, as workers prepared to remove the crane:

Credit: heedesoutheast

Alternative Transportation:

Runner Friendly City:
It appears as if there is an effort to nationally designate Winston-Salem as a runner-friendly city.

Video Link

Off-Subject:

New Research & Technology Jobs:
Winston-Salem's economic development organization is currently working with 11 biotech companies interested in moving to downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District.

Random Photographs:

Restaurant & bar in downtown's Arts District:

Credit: sallymeemee

Winston-Salem is beautiful in the Fall:

Credit: devin_purgason

Your City

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 11:22 PM

Artreaux Apartments at Industry Hill

Old Posted Oct 31, 2021, 8:53 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen.

Happy Hallowe'en! Yes, this is the city Charlotte leaders are visiting to learn about innovation districts!

Video Link

Merschel Park:
The City of Winston-Salem is in talks with Mayfair Street Partners to finalize the design and financing for the park. We should see a new park design in December or early-January. Construction is expected to start in early-2021.

I think the City should add a requirement for construction to start by a set date and for the developer to reach 50% progress by a set date or turn-over the site to the City.

1829 Middleton House Restoration & Expansion:
A wealthy Canadian couple are restoring and expanding this 192 year old house into their dream home. They are moving to the house when work is completed.

We haven't seen many updates on this restoration and expansion project!

Credit: wilsoncovington

Park at 74:

The 610,000 square-foot Ardagh Building:

Credit: landmarkbuildersinc

Robert Hall Hotel and Conference Center:
As a reminder, the hotel in this mixed-use development is called Huntley House at Robert Hall.

The floors are now completed for the hotel rooms:

Credit: roberthallws

NASCAR Cup Series at Bowman Gray Stadium:
NASCAR tested their next generation car at Bowman Gray Stadium to learn how it performs in a football stadium. Dale Earnhardt Jr., Tony Stewart, and Clint Bower were the test drivers. If the results from last week's test are seen as successful, NASCAR will hold events in major city football stadiums, starting next year. Bowman Gray Stadium did host NASCAR's Cup Series until 1971, as one of NASCAR's original tracks, and is where Richard Petty became the first driver to win 100 races in 1969. Bobby Allison won the last Cup Series race at Bowman Gray Stadium, in 1971. On NASCAR.com, writer Zach Albert thinks this is also a test to see if Bowman Gray Stadium can host NASCAR Cup Series events again and may bring a race to Winston-Salem's famous Art Deco football stadium! WOW! Its history as a race track dates back to the 1940s and it's actually a famous short track known as the MadHouse, with its own TV shows, over the past few years, on two different non-sports networks. It has visitors and race car drivers, from across the nation, traveling to see it. Bill France Sr. and Alvin Hawkins, the founders of NASCAR, started the racing series at Bowman Gray Stadium in 1949. The track was NASCAR's first race track. It's exciting to think the NASCAR Cup Series may return to this legendary track! Interestingly, the city is now preparing to pave the area outside the college football field for automobile racing, as part of the final upgrades/renovations. It will be completely modernized and ready-to-go for NASCAR Cup Series racing. NASCAR's Cup Series return is not official at this time, but it's something exciting to watch! Since the source for a possible Cup Series return to Bowman Gray Stadium is NASCAR themselves, we know it's seriously being considered!

Video Link

Video Link

Quarry Park Phase II:

Video Link

McCreary Football Complex:
This project has a big donor and a new name! Bob McCreary, founder of McCreary Modern furniture, donated $20 million to this project, which is a 60,000 square-foot addition to the football complex. It includes locker rooms, a nutrition station, training rooms, a recovery area, a player lounge, an entertainment area, an athletic training and treatment space, an equipment center and loading dock, and a space with seating for 200 people to be used for team meals, meetings, etc.,.

Video Link

As you know, it is nearly impossible to find photographs of this construction site. When I see anything that has this building in it, even if it's a small part of the building in the background or is extremely blurry, I post it. I'm not sure why people stopped photographing this construction site, abruptly last spring! It's now clad in wrap, giving it a white appearance. I will continue searching for any photographs of it. Maybe one day soon we will find a good photograph of it again.

It's the blurry white building on the far left bottom corner of this gift card ad (This is the only photograph I could find of it):

Credit: linkaptsiq

The Gallery Ballroom:
All of these cabinets were custom designed and custom built by Sunnyside Millwork in Winston-Salem. The wood is amazingly beautiful!

Another look at the Embassy Suites Renovation:

Credit: sunnysidemillwork

The Embassy Suites Hotel Renovation (This hotel is attached to The Gallery Ballroom):

Credit: sunnysidemillwork

Woodruff Aviation College: Built!
This project is completed, but the aviation college won't open until January 2022. They are waiting on approval from the Federal Aviation Administration. It has everything from classrooms to a library to a hangar and is connected to one of the airport runways.

Credit: TBJ

Sparq New Venture & Small Business Launch Pad:
Raleigh Founded is excited to announce it’s newest economic development project: Sparq. Sparq is unique among their innovation spaces, since it will be home to a Health Tech Lab space. This space will become a landing and convening spot for companies, startups, academics and individuals working in the Health Tech Space. Health tech entrepreneurs will be able to utilize the space and collaborate with IQ tenants and partners. Sparq is a collaborative community partner and will not replicate or duplicate but instead add value to the entrepreneurial ecosystem and will seek partnerships with other entrepreneurial support organizations and coworking spaces to be collaborative and add the most value to the Winston Salem Community. Sparq will have free events and resources that are open to the public, but also has a membership level. Sparq will also help with pitch practice with local and national VCs; Connections to mentors; Connections with accelerator programs or grant programs; and Networking and community building events.

Forsyth County Courthouse:
We should see columns for the fifth and sixth floors this week.

Workers are now decking the fourth floor:

Credit: TrueLook

Artreaux Apartments:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMetroWinston @ WSTB Forum

Salem Parkway: Built!
This project won the Grand Award in the 2021 American Council of Engineering Companies Engineering Excellence Awards​ competition. It is the highest award a project can win. It also won a second top prize. It was selected as the Grand Prize winner of the 2021 America's Transportation Awards from the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials. NCDOT Division Engineer Patrick Ivey said "This was a huge deal and a huge honor. This was a unique project. You don't see these come around very often. This was something that most engineers don't get an opportunity to be a part of." Salem Parkway included a double-tied arch suspension bridge for cyclists and pedestrians, a land bridge for cyclists and pedestrians, a transparent noise wall, decorative additions to walls and bridges, wider bridges for cycling infrastructure and a future a rail streetcar system, and construction of a bicycle super-highway complete with tunnels, ramps, and even a flyover-bridge for bicycles at a bike path intersection.

Off-Subject:

Do you remember... (commercial from 1992)
Video Link

Charlotte Visits Downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District for Ideas:
The City of Charlotte is spending two days in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District, as they consider creating an innovation district near their medical center. Mecklenburg County is also visiting to explore downtown Winston-Salem's Innovation District. They are very impressed. According to the news reports, downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District has 5,300 workers at 90 private companies and 2,100 college students. The Wake Forest University School of Medicine in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District has 600 students alone. There are also other colleges with students in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District.

Random Photographs:

Credit: FinTechInnov8r

Credit: tim_hutch

Your City

Old Posted Nov 7, 2021, 1:46 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen.

Yes, this is the 16th hottest housing market in the United States and the leading city in North Carolina in Tech job growth! Are you thinking of moving here for one of those tech jobs?

Video Link

Roar:
This is the conversion of a former Ford automobile assembly plant and showroom into a food hall, restaurants, a bank branch, an events center, rooftop bar, and entertainment facility (bowling, golf, soccer, etc.). Part of the project could open this month!

The view from the rooftop bar:

You can see it across the street, through the windows:

Credit: stewartknight

Wachovia Residences:
If the developer moves forward with this project, it will become four apartments. They will have to reclassify the property to Group R-2. This apartment development doesn't require any parking. Yes, an apartment building with no parking spaces!

Dave McNair Mastering:
The conversion of a former government office building into a music recording and mastering studio.

Credit: hieronymu.s

WFBH ED/OR/ICU Tower:
Workers have found an issue with the parking deck and are working on a temporary solution until a permanent fix can be engineered.

The first floor was poured on Monday night or Tuesday morning, the fifth floor is currently being decked, and columns now rise above the fifth floor. I do think this could top-out in the next two or three weeks, if the weather is good. As I said at WSTB, this is one of the fastest rising steel skeletons I've seen.

Our first look at the cladding in this older photograph:

Credit: DWSP

A few photographs from the WSTB Forum (there are more at that forum, if you're interested in seeing them):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Camel @ WSTB Forum

Truliant Headquarters Expansion:

Credit: DavieConstNC

Salem Creek Business Park:
Steam Source has acquired a site in Salem Creek Business Park for their new headquarters.

A light fixture from the hotel. The hotel in this mixed-use development is called Huntley House at Robert Hall.

Eleventh Street Townhouses & Apartments:
They expect to have financing finalized by February 2022. Groundbreaking is now pushed-back to June 2022. The entire project is five phases and expected to cost $126 million.

It appears as if they will use streetside parking along Eleventh and Twelfth streets?

Credit: WFDD

Bailey Power Plant Tenants:

Credit: winston_360

This is an amazing space!

Boxyard - Innovation Quarter:
It appears as if Front Street Capital will take-over this project, as developer? Yes, expect a name change for this project! Since shipping containers are likely near impossible to acquire and very expensive, if you can find them, it doesn't surprise me they would bring-in Front Street Capital. They will likely have to build a structure instead of stacking containers and Front Street Capital can do that. I'm not sure what they will do. It's too early to know. If I had to guess, I would guess we could see an industrial structure (maybe exposed steel frame, polished concrete floors, roll-up doors, etc.,.) instead of stacked shipping containers, with the same uses previously described. This is just a guess: I'm guessing STITCH Design Shop will be the architect? One thing that hasn't changed: It will be centered on pedestrians and cyclists, at the intersection of pedestrian and cycling paths.

It's rare to find photographs of this apartment building construction site:

Creative Corridors:
Those involved in selecting the artists and art for the Salem Parkway bridges are meeting with NCDOT this month.

Off-Subject:

Winston-Salem Leads North Carolina in Tech Job Growth:
The TBJ is reporting Winston-Salem leads the state in new tech job growth. Winston-Salem gained 574 new tech job postings, for a 108% increase. Winston-Salem ranked 53rd among the largest U.S. metro areas.

Winston-Salem - 16th Hottest U.S. Housing Market:
According to Zillow, Winston-Salem is currently the 16th hottest housing market in the nation! It's also the second hottest housing market in the Carolinas. This is based largely on home price increases and people interested in houses from outside the metro area, with the most desirable places to move to having the biggest increases in home prices and the most people looking at houses there. I can confirm Winston-Salem can't build houses and apartments fast enough and developers are trying to develop any site they can find.

Random Photograph:

Credit: downtownwinstonsalem

Your City

Old Posted Nov 14, 2021, 1:53 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Video Link

Merschel Park:
Frank L. Blum Construction will be the General Contractor for this project and Stimmel Associates is the landscape architect. Construction will restart on the park in January or February of 2022. Completion is set for September or October of 2022. A central sculpture will cost $200,000, which will be paid for by the Millennium Fund. The cost of just the park alone, without the art, is $3.97 million, including soft costs. And yes, we do have a new rendering!

Credit: Stimmel Associates

Mayfair @ Liberty:
This project will restart in March 2022. It will have 134 apartments and ground floor retail space. ArchStudio7 has recently completed the construction set for this project. Completion is set for November 2023. No parking is planned for this apartment development. By removing all of the parking they can add more retail space along the sidewalks. It's the white roof structure on the right side of the rendering above. Yes, it will have a view of Merschel Park, as well as Liberty Park.

The Gallery Ballroom:

This is from eariler this month (older photograph):

Credit: Fam Brownlee

Roar:
Artist Cheryl Ann has appeared on a Netflix show, with her artwork. She was selected as the artist for Roar. In this photograph, she is painting a mural in one of the restaurants. According to the developer, the building will have several murals. She is also painting a mural in Ford's Food Hall. The east wall and south wall in the former Ford Automobile Assembly Building don't have many windows, so they are perfect for murals.

Palltronics:
Palltronics has leased space for 200 new jobs and an innovation center. This is expected to be a $40 million project. Hiring for the innovation center is scheduled for April 2022. Palltronics created the ability to track pallets in real time and see the conditions with temperature and humidity sensors and an accelerometer.

The Easley Apartments:

Painting the cement fiberboard:

Chronicle Building: Built!
The newest retail tenant in this development is Ellie and Athos.

A photograph from a week or two ago, showing the other side:

Quote:
Originally Posted by resprink @ WSTB Forum
Artreaux Apartments:

Quote:
Originally Posted by resprink @ WSTB Forum
500 West 5th:
Workers repaired the facade on the first two floors of the south facade tower. You may remember: That is where the Security Life & Trust Tower fell on 500 West 5th during its demolition. It roughed-up the lower part of 500 West 5th! I can't tell where the facade panels were replaced! Did Shelco do this work?

Credit: ashtanga4u

You can't tell where the Security Life & Trust Building crashed into 500 West 5th during demolition:
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-V-R @ WSTB Forum
A very rare update on this apartment and retail building with underground parking. The WSTB Forum has the extra large original photographs, if you would like to see larger versions. On Saturday (11/13) workers removed the tower crane.

Workers removing the tower crane (Saturday 11/13):

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-V-R @ WSTB Forum
You can see the underground parking entrance:

Off-Subject:

Monrovia, Liberia Library to be Named for Winston-Salem Mayor:
Jefferson Koijee, the mayor of Monrovia, Liberia, was in Winston-Salem to meet with Winston-Salem's mayor and see area attractions. A new library in Monrovia will be named for Winston-Salem Mayor Allen Joines. Mayor Joines helped Liberia when the country had an Ebola outbreak in 2014 and is a big supporter of Liberian education. Winston-Salem and Liberia have an historical connection and you will occasionally see noteworthy leaders from Liberia in Winston-Salem.

Random Photographs:

View from the new bike and pedestrian path:

Credit: tori.landschoot

A new mural for a local hip hop artist who died from a drug overdose:

Credit: Wagner Appliance Sales

Eastern Standard Restaurant & Bar:

Credit: easternstandard_ws

Winston-Salem is the Southeast's Wine Country (This appeared on the national news):
Video Link

Rooftop Artist Christmas Market:

Credit: Link Apartments

Credit: robynchurnart

This amazing parking deck rooftop space is also used for yoga and other events. The owner constantly activates it.

Credit: Link Apartments

Your City

Old Posted Nov 21, 2021, 1:16 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

If you missed the lunar eclipse, there is a photograph of it from downtown's IQ District, below...
Video Link

Credit: aocrane

Roar:
Workers have installed the bowling lanes in the former Ford Automobile Assembly Plant & Showroom. They are currently test bowling, to be sure everything is working properly before they open. This facility will have league bowling, if you're interested. The screens above the lanes can show movies or sports events while you bowl. Roar is also hiring, if you're looking for a job. You can apply for the jobs at Hotel Indigo, Monday - Thursday at 10 a.m., to 3 p.m.,.

Bowling lanes now installed and being tested:

"Roaring 20s" Murals at Roar:

Kaleideum Science Museum:
This construction project now has an additional $3.8 million from the State of North Carolina.

WFBH Eye Institute:
The new Wake Forest University Eye Institute, in downtown's IQ District, will include a large teaching space that can seat up to 100 students, it will have small education rooms, and a surgical wet lab. Clinical research will continue and expand in the new downtown building. The new facility will have a basic-science research platform to investigate new treatments for ophthalmic diseases. The cost is $60 million for the building, to be constructed by Wexford Science & Technology. The eye institute will serve a five state region and around 100,000+ patients each year. The downtown location should be easy to find for out-of-town and out-of-state patients. Yes, it's a university medical school building, a research center, and a medical facility, complete with surgical rooms.

Sentinel Commons:
We have renderings of their plans for the plaza along Marshall Street. They will replace the popular water feature, so many people love, with a beer garden.

New beer garden:

Credit: WSTB Forum

Credit: WSTB Forum

Stevens Center Renovation:
The State of North Carolina is providing $30 million toward the first phase of this project. Yes, the money is approved. Phase I completes the design and starts the construction documents, so the project can be bid. At that point, they will know the final cost and can start construction. I think construction starts with the exterior, including the roof and terracotta repair. In Phase II, they will request the remaining amount needed to complete the work.

The Easley Apartments:
300 luxury apartment units and a public park with bicycle cut-through path, near the downtown ballpark, opening April 2022.

Credit: winstonwatchman

Reynolda House Museum of Art Restoration:
The State of North Carolina has provided $900,000 to this construction project.

Artreaux Apartments:
241 luxury apartment units and co-working space opening in downtown Winston-Salem in Spring 2023, according to the developer. The previous completion date we had was Fall 2023. It's unusual, these days, to see a project's completion date move-up a few months.

Credit: DPJ Residential

Williams Auditorium:
This 1,600 seat facility now has $57 million from the State of North Carolina budget, which will be paid-out over three or four years.

The Gallery Ballroom:
Work is about 90% complete. The tunnel mural isn't completed.

This is for the Embassy Suites Hotel elevators:

Credit: viatordesignandconstruction

Veterans Nursing Home:
The State of North Carolina gave this project $14 million in the State budget. I'm not sure if this project is completed or not? I think this is money to open the facility? If it's completed, please let us know.

Shallow Ford Historic Site:
This riverfront park and historic site project now has $2.225 million from the State of North Carolina budget for construction.

WSSU Infrastructure Projects:
The State of North Carolina is providing around $21.5 million for a variety of infrastructure projects around Winston-Salem State University. Most of this money will go toward "Restore The Core" and the renovation of Hauser Hall of Music.

Credit: Design Distill / WSSU

WFIRM:
The Regenerative Medicine Research Institute in downtown Winston-Salem will receive $10 million each year from the State of North Carolina, in the latest budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Camel @ WSTB Forum
Winston-Salem Regional Autopsy Center:
Construction is now fully-funded, with $21,600,481 provided in the State Budget.

224 apartment units and retail space, with underground parking, opening on downtown's Restaurant Row in June 2022.

A better view of the crane removal:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoedigerHouse @ WSTB Forum

Smith Reynolds Airport Restoration:
The State of North Carolina is providing the airport with $23 million.

AeroX Innovation Hub:
This project received $5 million from the State of North Carolina in the recently passed budget.

Off-Subject:

Video Link

The Winston-Salem Open Tennis Trophy:
Video Link

Thunderbirds Hockey:
Winston-Salem's hockey team has returned to the ice. They are the only hockey team in the greater Triad area. Their attendance is nearly as high as it was before the pandemic. If you like hockey or are looking for something to do, you should go to a game. It's something fun to do this winter!

Random Photographs:

The 25th Whimsical Women Festival:

Credit: whimsicalwomenws

Lower Cascades:

Credit: k.riehleadventures

Your City

Last edited by Matthew; Nov 21, 2021 at 1:27 PM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2021, 2:20 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. I don't make any money doing this. I donate my time gathering information and photographs for this thread, to help everyone know what is happening and answer the "what is that under construction" questions. If you want to show support for downtown and this thread, providing photographs for us to use is the best way to do so. Again, I thank the photographers for making this happen!

Happy 8th Birthday SSP Winston-Salem Update!
Thanksgiving is usually a time when everything closes, including construction sites, so people can be home with family. This can slow-down some of our favorite construction projects.

Video Link

Mayfair @ Liberty:
Mayfair Street Partners is in talks with Frank L. Blum Construction to be the General Contractor for this project. If Frank L. Blum Construction is selected, they will be the General Contractor for four projects all bordering each other along a one block stretch of Third Street (a science museum, a sensory garden, a park, and apartments with retail). The construction drawings are completed and the project is ready-to-go, once a General Contractor is selected. The developer is saying construction could start in January or maybe February. If Frank L. Blum Construction is selected, this project could be accelerated and open earlier than originally expected, since they are building multiple projects by multiple developers, along the same block of Third Street, at once. This should be amazing to see, since it is the complete transformation of Third Street, between Liberty Street and Town Run Lane, with new ground-up construction buildings and attractions... all at once! See the Liberty Park photograph, below, to see the site for these four construction projects!

Liberty Park:
Not much progress. The general contractor is currently in talks to have four projects along this one block stretch of Third Street. An apartment building, a science museum, a sensory garden, and a park. It's worth noting: No new parking is being constructed for any of these four projects.

(Thursday 11/25) Liberty Park Sensory Garden construction on the left and Mayfair @ Liberty apartments site on the right:

Credit: Drive Tour

Nationwide Marketing Headquarters:

(Thursday 11/25) Not much progress over the Thanksgiving holiday:

Merschel Park:
This park is one of the four construction projects across the street from each other along a single block of Third Street. You are seeing the Fourth Street view of the park, below.

(Thursday 11/25) Not much happening on Thanksgiving:

Sentinel Commons:
Workers continue installing new windows in the former windowless walls of the building.

(Thursday 11/25) Usually, everything is closed and everything empties-out on Thanksgiving, but I see a work truck at this site?

Quote:

Artreaux Apartments:
In the photograph below, you can see where they will rebuild the original street grid in this part of downtown's former Produce District. This is a high elevation site and to level it off, a retaining wall was built on the northwestern corner, adding extra height on that corner of the building. Take note of the two-storey tall columns for the leasing office and club house. Those two spaces will have very high ceilings!

Columns and stair core for new apartment building and location of the 9th Street Extension:
Quote:
500 West 5th:
Five Points Capital will move their headquarters to this downtown building, with one of the biggest leases signed in the Triad.

Grant Park Expansion Phase II:

Video Link

New Distillery:
Are you ready for another distillery? Someone from the Doumas family will open a new distillery in a century-old industrial building at 3401 Indiana Ave (Old Dominion Box Factory). The building will have a distillery with tasting room and an event center.

A look at a hotel room in Huntley House Hotel @ Robert Hall:

Salem Lake Park Improvements:
The water-level was lowered so workers could construct a new bulkhead and pier. The trails are still open for walking, hiking, and cycling, if you're interested. According to the City, these projects are paid for from $62 million in bonds.

New Bulkhead (You can see how much the lake was lowered by looking at the new bulkhead):

New and Longer Pier:

New Picnic Shelter:

Roar:
Finally, the developer is advertising for their grand opening next month! Keep in mind that only part of the building will open next month, so it won't be fully completed. The developer is waiting on a certificate of occupancy to open. Walk-in freezers and a $45,000 pizza oven are now installed. They are also installing the golf and sports simulators in the Great Gatsby Golf Club, which is expected to open next month with Ford's Food Hall. Sadly, they haven't installed the kitchen in the golf club, so it may open without the restaurant? The concert and events center won't open until 2022, so this project will remain on our construction list after this partial opening. It's time to get excited about this project!

The Easley Apartments:

Quote:

Off-Subject:

Video Link

9th Wonder nominated for a Grammy Award:
Winston-Salem's 9th Wonder was nominated for a Grammy for Best Progressive R&B Album for Dinner Party: Dessert, which features appearances by Snoop Dogg, Herbie Hancock and Rapsody. 9th Wonder has worked with many Winston-Salem artists and is very supportive of his hometown and its hip hop scene.

Broad Branch Distillery:
Video Link

Random Photographs:

The walls and ceiling in Winston-Salem's Graylyn Hotel are from a 15th century Turkish mosque and still face east:

Credit: lesliewilliams.photography

Colonial houses from the mid-1700s and downtown skyscrapers:

Credit: thedeputyshariff

Credit: livefitfashionista

Your City

Old Posted Dec 25, 2021, 5:00 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

As a Christmas gift, I will return to post a construction update during my break. Merry Christmas!

We should post music like this more often!
Video Link

We have a new rendering for this $116 million project, which is scheduled for completion in Spring 2023. It is now an award-winning project.

A design change:

Credit: cjmw_architecture

Roar:
The adaptive-reuse of a former Ford Automobile Assembly Plant & Showroom into a roaring-1920s themed entertainment and restaurant complex, with a ground floor food hall and bank branch.

10 lanes of bowling, with very creative light fixtures!

301 North Main:
Truliant Federal Credit Union will lease space in 301 North Main and has acquired naming rights for the 30-storey building. It opened in November 1965 as the tallest office building in the southeast. I'm guessing it will become Truliant Tower, but that is just a guess. Look for a large corporate logo at the top of the building. It's great to see so many new leases signed for office space in downtown.

The Legacy Apartments:

A rare update on this 220 apartment unit project:

8 W 3:
PMC Property Group has acquired North Carolina's oldest skyscraper for conversion to apartments and retail. It will be rebranded as 8 W 3.

The Easley Apartments:

A rare view from the north (taken last month), including the new city park in the foreground and the dog park to the left:

Credit: Street View

PGA Tour Buys Winston-Salem Building:
Yes, the Professional Golfers' Association of America has purchased a local building. It's roughly 10,125 square-feet. I'm not sure what they are moving to the Winston-Salem area or creating here? It's not a lease... they are now the owners of it. It should be interesting to see what they do with it.

Coptic Orthodox Church of Winston Salem:
This appears to be a new project? Yes, we have renderings... actually digital 3D model videos!

Video Link

Video Link

EGGER North American Headquarters:
Egger's employment is 25% higher than what they projected. The company is currently planning a $50 million expansion and will hire 50 more workers. Construction on the expansion will start in late-Summer or Fall of 2022, with completion set for First Quarter 2023.

As I've posted before: Robert Hall is the name for the entire development. The boutique hotel part of the development is called Huntley House. It's nearing completion!

Huntley House Hotel at Robert Hall:

An Art Deco bar Al Capone frequently visited is located up these stairs:

WFBH ED/OR/ICU Tower:
This $450+ million 12-15 storey project is the largest institutional project in the United States to enter planning last month! This is according to Dodge Construction Network. Wow!

Off-Subject:

Winston-Salem is a Runner Friendly Community: Completed!
The Twin City Track Club was successful. The Road Runners Club of America has designated Winston-Salem as a Runner Friendly Community. One of only two cities with that designation in North Carolina. You need the running infrastructure, support from local governments, marked pathways, strong community support, youth programs, etc., to earn that designation.

Your City

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 4:27 PM

Where are the Legacy Apartments?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 5:15 AM
Fourth and Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMetroRaleigh View Post
Where are the Legacy Apartments?
They are the under-construction apartments to the west of Wake Forest University Medical Center. A replacement for Ardmore's Cloverdale Terrace. 200 New Dr., should take you to the middle of it.

Credit: Carlisle Residential Properties

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 2:27 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

A new apartment building that is applying for permits shortly after we learn about it! More retail / restaurant businesses for downtown. Last month's big apartment proposal already starting work! And we learn work is close to starting on the new Eye Institute (research, education, and medical facility) in downtown! It was an exciting past few weeks.

Stay the night with the SSP Update and see some of what is happening!
Video Link

4th and Green Apartments & Retail:
Are you ready for more downtown apartments! Developer Fourth Street Ventures and General Contractor Windsor Contracting have applied for permits to start work on a new 6-storey apartment and retail building on West Fourth Street at Green Street. The building will have parking under the building and multiple storefronts at ground-level. It will have around 100 apartment units, a courtyard, and other amenities in its 224,230 square-feet of space. The architect is John Davis from SGA | NarmourWright Design.

Roar:
An update on this former Ford automobile assembly plant and showroom being converted into a food hall, event center, bank office, and entertainment venue. A partial opening is scheduled for the end of this month! The opening is pushed back each month. I've heard they still have a long way to go before it's complete, but late-January 2022 is the developer's current date for a partial opening. Not a full opening / completion, but a partial opening. They also announced a new tenant: JL Caspers Prohibition Steakhouse. It's named for what was the world's largest mail order alcohol company, founded in 1861 in downtown Winston-Salem. The developer has talked about making this a Winston-Salem-based chain? I think we are all excited over this project!

The restored Ford Model-T and Great Gatsby Golf Club:

They appear to be changing or removing the old signage:

8 W 3:
And we have more information on this apartments and retail project! Architect (Andrew Rogerson) Garvin Design Group is finishing the construction set and General Contractor Triangle Construction Company will start the upfit in a few weeks. Work has already started on interior demolition and they have a debris chute and dumpster on the back side of the building. Work is about to start on shell modifications and improvements. The building will have 84 apartment units. Developer PMC Property Group isn't wasting time with this project!

Credit: dylan.blackburn

A debris chute and dumpster are now at the site:

Chronicle Building:
Chad's Chai Tea House is the newest tenant of this downtown adaptive-reuse project and will open in Spring 2022.

These are extremely blurry, but it's so rare to find photographs of this project that I'm thankful for anything I can find.

Credit: Driving Tour

Credit: Driving Tour

Truliant Headquarters Expansion:

I was asked to post an update on Six Hundredº at Bailey South. The opening is now scheduled for early-February 2022.

Credit: chef_myers

McCreary Football Complex:
This project is now under construction, as of December 2021. Completion is set for Summer 2023.

An updated rendering of the full building:

Credit: CJMW

These construction updates are from December:

Credit: SPC

Basement in December (I think that could be the cut-and-cover tunnel to the twin towers detention center?):

Basement in December:

Interstate 74:

Again, the hotel is called Huntley House at Robert Hall. Office space in this mixed-use development is available, if you're interested.

Antique light fixture in Huntley House Hotel:

More light fixtures in Huntley House Hotel:

The Mid-Century look is still in... this looks like a 1965 hotel room:

Tech Company Hiring:
Tech company Live Furnish moved their headquarters from San Francisco to an office tower in downtown Winston-Salem. Their CEO describes how he likes Winston-Salem and has a four minute walk from his home to his office. You could walk to work here, too! Live Furnish is hiring 25 new tech employees in downtown Winston-Salem. It's the tall angled-glass building on Fifth Street. Contact them if you're interested in working there. As you can see, this is an awesome city to live in. It's also a great place to work. This company grew 650% last year and has several major investors on both coasts. They expect to hire significantly more people than this.

The Gallery Ballroom:

This is the attached Embassy Suites Hotel's renovation (elevator screen):

The Easley Apartments:

Credit: stewartknight

Transom windows are now installed on the retail floor (Monday 1/10):

Connecting to City utilities:

Connecting to City utilities:

WFBH ED/OR/ICU Tower:
Preconstruction work has started on this 12-15 storey tower with possible spire.

Credit: blumconstruction

Artreaux Apartments:
This downtown development includes 241 luxury apartments, co-working space, a conference center, wider sidewalks, townhouses, and they will restore the original street grid by reconstructing 9th Street through the site.

From roughly three weeks ago:

Credit: Harold K Jordan & Co., Inc.

Pouring the pad in sections:

Wood framing going up!

Creative Corridors:
Next month, we should know what the tall sculptures will look like. They should be large enough to be visible from Salem Parkway and located next to the bike and walking paths.

Off-Subject:

Carolina Chaos:
Two of the biggest names in NASCAR are bringing a Professional Bull Riders Team to Winston-Salem. Richard Childress will be the team owner and Austin Dillon is the general manager of the franchise, which is the major league of professional bull riding, featuring the world's top bull riders. Look for the Carolina Chaos in June at the LJVM Sports & Entertainment Complex. The PBR events will also include a western festival, which sounds interesting. Winston-Salem's team will compete against other teams in Austin, Phoenix, Dallas-Fort Worth, Nashville, Kansas City, and Oklahoma City. The championship will be in Las Vegas in November. This sports series will be broadcast on CBS and Paramount+. There aren't any big hats, boots, or cowboys in Winston-Salem, so this is one of the more unusual professional sport teams to select the city. This is more of a southwestern sport. It joins sport cycling and tennis as the major league sports in Winston-Salem.

Old Town Club - One of the Top Golf Courses in the World:
Winston-Salem's Old Town Club is ranked among the top-100 golf courses in the world by Golf Magazine. The Perry Maxwell-designed Old Town Club is one of only two courses in the rankings from North Carolina. The other is Pinehurst No. 2.

Newest Downtown Business:
Yes, retail and restaurant businesses are still opening in the pandemic. Please support these new businesses, if you can.

Video Link

Random Photographs:

Sunrise:

Credit: Paul Dillon

Your City

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 3:22 AM

Hi, I have a picture of the Link Apartments 4th Street that i snapped today. What's the easiest way to send or post it?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 3:43 AM

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 5:01 PM
Fourth and Main

Thank you for the construction photograph! I was able to access the large original image without the watermark and it will appear in the next update as a quote.

Thank you, again!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 1:14 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Yes, this is the city from CBS News' coverage of Winter Storm Izzy. Three winter storms in one month.

This is a big update and yes, there are also more downtown apartments proposed in this week's update!

Video Link

Roar:
This is the adaptive-reuse of a former Ford automobile assembly plant and showroom into a bank office, food hall, entertainment venue, rooftop bar, restaurants, and performance venue.

Do you remember this... It's now a bar inside Ford's Food Hall:

1920s themed mural in Ford's Food Hall:

Cars assembled in this building had these on the radiator:

Credit: twincityt

This project is now shown as a $22.5 million project. It may have two floors of retail and amenities, bringing the building's height to six floors above Fourth Street, but we may have to wait for an official announcement to be sure?

It will rise in the gap, on the right, between the historic rowhouses and the condominium building:

Credit: winstonwithkids

Headquarters Moving to Downtown Winston-Salem:
Several corporate headquarters are moving to downtown Winston-Salem in the new year. Among them are smoodi, Inc., which is moving to Winston-Salem from Boston. They make a machine that offers healthy, fresh, and customizable on-the-go smoothies. AI Technology & Systems is moving to downtown Winston-Salem from the San Francisco Bay Area. They are building the world’s largest edge computing AI app store and marketplace. Southern Drone Company is moving to Winston-Salem from Atlanta and they provide drone, sensory and analytical services. Parrots, Inc., is moving to downtown Winston-Salem from Washington D.C., and they are an assistive robotics and medical device company. ALLPUR Nutrition is moving to downtown Winston-Salem from Charlotte and they are a nutritious, chemical-free beverage company. There are several more. Downtown Winston-Salem is a great place to be.

Lofts @ Whitaker Park:
Window installation has started and completion on the first building is set for June 2022. Completion of the second building is scheduled for September 2022. The roof will have a 5,000 square-foot amenity center with a gym and views of the skyline and the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Some of these units have tall enough ceilings (20 feet / 6.1 metres) to have two-storey apartment units:

Credit: C.A. Harrison

Drywall installation:

Novant Health Forsyth Medical Center Renovation:
Workers are replacing the HVAC systems in the building.

500 West 5th:
Workers are preparing to start on the 9th floor upfit. Bradley & Ball Architects is the architect. No GC is named.

Crystal Towers Apartments: Cancelled
This project, to convert a Mid-Century Modern high-rise into a luxury apartment building, is now cancelled. Other plans were announced (see the next project, below). As you can see, this isn't bad news. I use the same graphics / emoji for all cancelled projects (for consistency). The new proposal for this building is better than this cancelled proposal. I think most of the city is more excited about the new proposal.

Crystal Towers Renovation:
This building will undergo a major renovation that will replace the elevators, building systems, and renovate the exterior of the Mid-Century Modern structure. No use changes expected. Just the elevator replacement alone will cost roughly $1 million. We will learn more, soon. This is what I wanted to see happen to this building. It should be renovated and not converted to more luxury apartments.

One local reporter has said this new proposal could use historic tax credits?

This building needs a major renovation or restoration:

Again, this is a mixed-use adaptive-reuse project (office space, craft brewery, restaurant, and hotel) and the hotel part of the project is called Huntley House Hotel. The developer for this project shows a lot of close-up details, which I'm sure viewers here will love.

A door at Huntley House Hotel:

Körner’s Folly Visitor Center:
We now have rough drawings of what this 5,600 square-foot visitors center will look like. According to the architect "The visitor’s center will include a community room, exhibition lobby, research library, gift shop, over 1,300 square-feet of collection storage, activity lawn porch, and media room. The Visitors Center at Körner’s Folly will allow for sustainable growth, greatly improve the visitor experience, and increase the resources available to the community."

Credit: West & Stem

Credit: West & Stem

St. Timothy's Church Renovation: Built!
According to the architect, this project is now completed!

Credit: Cram & Ferguson

Hanes Park Sports Facilities:

This project (brown brick building on the far right side) has a 1920s look, matching the historic building on the left, and appears almost completed:

From roughly two weeks ago:

Credit: bbm_arch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdwinston View Post
Whitaker Park Hotel & Mixed-use:
The developer would like to start on this project in Spring 2023. It appears as if work will start on the hotel first. This is a 150-unit apartment development with 125-key hotel and 25,000 square feet of retail space.

Sparq will soon install a sign on the exterior of the 1940s building.

Another update on Six Hundredº:

Credit: stitchdesignshop

Interstate 74:

Credit: Dashcam

624 North Trade:
This building is slowly starting to regain its 1920s appearance. Yes, it's the same developer that restored the buildings at Sixth and Liberty streets. This was originally a famous clothing store that was in magazines and was popular among rock and R&B musicians who visited downtown Winston-Salem. Everyone from Emmylou Harris to the Jackson Five visited this store. The Drifters sang their song Under the Boardwalk, as it played on the store's radio, while shopping there. This store had the current clothing styles other stores in the state didn't have and wouldn't carry. It closed not too long ago, when the owner wanted to do something else. You can lease this space, if you're interested.

Installing a sprinkler system:

Credit: Preservation Forsyth

Canal Drive Apartments:
It looks like this project has re-emerged as a new ground-up construction building and the existing building will be demolished for the new apartment building. This apartment building will have retail, parking under the building, a pet spa, bicycle storage spaces, a small dog park, and resident storage lockers. The old building (to be demolished) will be abated next month, demolition starts in March 2022 and we could see the new apartment building rising in July 2022! Very exciting!

It will rise behind these retail storefronts:

Credit: winstonwithkids

Egger North American Headquarters:
They are already bringing-in $1.82 billion in revenue at this location and planning more expansions and more hiring! Their growth is impressive!

The Easley Apartments:

You can see the pool construction in this view:

Credit: Samet Corp.

A look at the pool rendering:

You can see it on the far right side of his photograph:

More renderings of this massive apartment building that needed two blocks, and removing a road segment between them, to build:

New Hangars:
We now have elevations of the proposed airport hangars. Walter Robbs is the architect and Shelco is the general contractor.

Credit: Walter Robbs

Credit: Walter Robbs

Off-Subject:

Celebrity Home - Maya Angelou's house in Winston-Salem:
Video Link

Random Photographs:

Sidewalk snow and ice removal:
Video Link

Winston-Salem clears all of the sidewalks in its downtown:

Credit: downtownwinstonsalem

Other random photographs of Winston-Salem:

Credit: WXII

Credit: pinkdaasies

Credit: winstonsalemphotographer

Your City

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 4:57 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

This is a very BIG update! This city is booming and it's difficult to keep up with everything. We have several photographs from the WSTB Forum. I didn't post everything from there, so go there to see all of the photographs and let the photographers there know you like the updates.

Still trying to make you laugh... My wife said this song was actually on the charts in 1986?
Video Link

The version that was actually on the charts:
Video Link

Chatham Building Apartments & Retail:
Yes, we have another apartment project and this project is quickly moving toward construction. The developer has already closed on the 1932 Art Deco Building on Fourth Street's Restaurant Row and the office tenants are moving-out. All of the retail tenants, including the art-house movie theatre and small grocery store, will stay. This project qualifies for historic tax credits.

Credit: thegotowinstonsalem

Merschel Park:

Roar:
This is the adaptive-reuse of a former Ford automobile assembly plant and showroom into a food hall, bank office, restaurants, rooftop bar, and multiple entertainment venues. This building will have a large 700-seat theatre for national/international touring acts, opening in March. It will host the famous Shamrock Tenors from Ireland on March 25. The theatre will also host the Festival of the Wild Geese, with Rhythm of the Dance, featuring world champion dancers. A touring comedy act also appears to have a date at the new Roar Theatre. This project actually has a Live Entertainment Director and will become a destination to see traveling shows, such as concerts, theatre, dance, etc.,. If you are looking for a job, they are hiring 125 new employees to open this facility and are paying very well, with good benefits. Jobs range from sound techs to beer wall ambassadors. The food hall opened on Saturday (1/29), with dueling pianos, but it will take at least two more months before everything is open and the project is completed.

Credit: von Kerczek

New signage:

Signage in the food hall:

Credit: jksincorporated

Ford's Food Hall:

Credit: jksincorporated

Elevator signs:

They have over 90 beer taps:

Barcelona Burger & Beer Garden has signed a lease at Bailey South and will soon begin renovations to their space. They have hired Stitch Design Shop as their architect and the ground-floor space will be 3,600 square-feet.

Another update on Six Hundredº:

Credit: sixhundred_wsnc

Ram's Point Apartments & Retail:
They expect to have financing by Summer 2022. Yes, that is the current delay.

Coptic Orthodox Church of Winston Salem:

Video Link

The Easley Apartments:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHombre @ WSTB Forum

West Salem Art Hotel:
It appears as if this hotel is moving to 328 South Green Street, across from Carolina University's campus, near downtown.

Whitaker Park Mixed-use Project:

Quote:
As a reminder, the hotel in this mixed-use development is called Huntley House at Robert Hall.

More details from their hotel:

TW Garner Campus:

Construction update on the first building at the airport campus:
Quote:

This is at the airport, so you can see the city's tallest skyscraper on the right side:
Yes, Winston-Salem has an airport overlay (height limit above sea-level) over most of the skyline. You can see the skyline clearly from runway 4 and around the airport grounds. It was the busiest airport in the state until the 1970s.

Interstate 74:
NCDOT has awarded Houston-based Webber a $261.8 million contract for the construction of another segment of I-74, connecting I-74 to Salem Parkway and I-40. We could see workers at the site of this new segment this month. Completion of this interstate segment is set for November 2026, with other work around the interstate segment planned for completion in April 2027.

Only one more segment remains and it could be awarded in October 2022, with completion set for Fall 2026 (at the earliest).

6 lanes (3 in each direction) - Friday (1/28):
Quote:

515 North Cherry Street:
A number of people have wanted to know what would go in this space, since Mast General Store acquired it. It will become an office space. I don't think we will follow the construction on this thread, but I will post the rendering, since there was interest in the tenant. The reasons we won't follow this project: I don't think this is interesting enough to follow and it's too small. If you would like to post updates on your own, you can.

Novant Health Critical Care Center:
Novant Health is closing part of Loop Road at the medical center, as part of their $403.4 million construction project. The road will reopen in 2024.

Lofts @ Whitaker Park:
An update on this adaptive-reuse project to convert old industrial buildings to apartments. Workers are now installing the windows.

Quote:

1118 North Trade:
Developer JDL Castle appears ready to start on renovations at this 1947 building in downtown's trendy Industry Hill neighborhood. No one will say what is happening there?

Artreaux Apartments:

Quote:

Sentinel Commons:

Metropolitan Mixed-use:
We finally have a start date for this project: Spring 2022. The developer expects to have financing in place in the next few weeks. They recently (January 2022) acquired an alley from the City and closed it for the project. It's very close to starting!

This photograph could be a few weeks old?

These two are recent and show rarely seen angles:

Credit: qZfwQFNobEU

Credit: qZfwQFNobEU

From yesterday (Saturday 1/29):
Quote:

Downtown Streetscape:
Work on First and Second streets is currently paused. They are working with Duke Energy on issues involving utility poles. Liberty and Main streets are waiting on tree removal quotes and then they will have more discussions on utility poles with Duke Energy for those streets. Streetscape standards (light fixtures, street furniture, etc.,.) should be finalized by First Quarter of 2022 (yes, this quarter!). I'm sure pedestrians and cyclists are waiting for completion of these projects.

Random Photographs:

Credit: picture_winston

Support downtown businesses in awesome old buildings, like Bookmarks:

Credit: bookmarksnc

Yes, it has a record player and a nice view of the neighboring skyscrapers:

A better view of this award-winning bicycle and pedestrian bridge:

Credit: megantravisphotography

Your City

Old Posted Feb 13, 2022, 2:51 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Yes, this is the city ranked among the safest, with a job growth outlook among the best nationwide. It's also ranked as one of five surprising cities set to become boomtowns in 2022!

More new downtown apartments are proposed in this update! Over the past eight months, this city has seen over 1,000 new downtown apartments proposed and some of these projects have already started construction!

Video Link

Roar:
This is a 1920s Ford Assembly Plant & Showroom converted into a food hall, restaurants, rooftop bar, bank office, performance, and entertainment venue. Live music has already started at Roar. They appear to have live music every night, with no cover charge. Did you know: Each floor has a 90+ tap beer wall!

Bowling (This was the Ford assembly floor - notice the gears on the ceiling and car factory photo above the far left bowling lanes):

Great Gatsby Golf Club (You can play several different sports on these simulators):

You can see it's still under construction:

A look at the bar:

You can take selfies in this car:

"Put some spring in your step as The Festival of the Wild Geese makes its United States debut"
Video Link

Second & Brookstown Apartments:
Are you ready for more apartments? Chaucer Creek Capital and DPJ Residential are proposing a $60 million apartment building on 4.2 acres at 920 Brookstown Avenue. This is across the street from the downtown ballpark. It will replace two large lots and three small buildings. The site is under contract. Over the past few months, over 1,000 apartments were proposed for downtown Winston-Salem. Including around 550 apartments over the past two or three months. We don't know the apartment building's name at this time and I need a name to enter it into our list, so Second & Brookstown Apartments is a temporary "working name" until we know the final name.

The new apartment building will be constructed in the gap between these two apartment buildings:

Credit: wsdashbaseball

Ronnies Downtown Grocery Store:
And work has started on this project! The architect has discovered the building has retained many of its original details, such as the original ceiling (hidden under a drop ceiling), some of the original walls, and historic flooring. The architect, Latent Designs, will retain these historic details and incorporate the building's connection to the Civil Rights Movement in the restoration and conversion to a downtown grocery store with farm-fresh fruits, vegetables, and meats. If we can find photographs, we will follow this project on this thread. If you're working on this project, please share photographs we can use here.

What is the building's connection to the Civil Rights Movement, you may ask? While sit-ins date back to the 1930s (in the Washington D.C., area) and maybe before then, this downtown Winston-Salem building was the site of the first sit-in victory in 1960. Yes, all of the lunch counters in Winston-Salem desegregated after the sit-in in this building. All of them! It was a big turning point in the nonviolent effort. This important historic building was almost lost to demolition in 2019, when an Atlanta-based developer proposed a 12-storey Moxy Hotel at this site. I think they proposed saving just the lunch counter area and demolishing the rest of the building? The same developer is now reusing all of the building for this downtown grocery store.

The original building was constructed in 1880 as a department store and was renovated to three storefronts and upstairs offices in 1915:

Credit: monaart

The 1915 renovation from a department store to retail and office space removed the grand staircase, some of the windows (seen in the photograph above), and some or maybe all of the skylights?

Site of the first Sit-in victory in 1960 (Woolworth Lunch Counter):

Lunch counter flooring:

Lunch Counter Entrance from Fourth Street (Look at that ceiling):

Second Floor (doesn't look as interesting):

Credit: latent_designs

Six Hundredº at Bailey South is still not open...

Credit: SixHundredº

Tucker's Tap Yard:
Do you remember this project from October of last year? It's now officially announced. The downtown dog park and bar, proposed at 1010 North Liberty, also has a new and official name, opening date, and details. Tucker's Tap Yard will open in Summer 2022, with craft beer, wine, and cocktails. "Come enjoy a cold beer or cocktail while your dog runs off-leash in over 10,000 square feet of indoor-outdoor play areas."

Park at 74:

STITCH Design Shop Headquarters:
Development and architecture firm STITCH Design Shop is said to be considering developing a new ground-up construction office building for their headquarters. If they move forward with the project, they will acquire a site near the downtown ballpark (Burke Street area) and design and build a new office building with ground floor retail for that site. There isn't much to report at this time.

New Downtown Elementary School:
The furniture company building they are planning to demolish for this project is interesting. They actually preserved their original building when they expanded and it can be see, even today, on the corner of the mid-century structure. Below is a 1950s photograph, showing the company's original building on the corner and the newer building constructed around it.

Building to be demolished:

Yes, work is happening at this site. No, nothing is rising above the dirt pit at this time. Still waiting for the first steel to rise! Collins Aerospace has donated money to support the museum’s engineering and innovation initiative and will take part in Winston-Salem's Engineering Festival on February 26, 2022. Collins Aerospace is among Winston-Salem's largest employers.

You can see the following construction sites - Kaleideum science museum, Merschel Park, and the Liberty Park Sensory Garden:

Credit: akikochiba_md

Artreaux Apartments:
This project is an apartment building, townhouses, co-working space, and a parking deck. The photographs are a few weeks old. We can now see that work has started on the townhouses.

Ninth Street will be restored (grid restoration) in the area where the construction trailer is:

The blue tarps are covering the pad sites for the now under construction townhouses:

Dave McNair Mastering:
Tom's Guitar Service will move into this building, when it's completed. I'm guessing this will be the retail space tenant?

Windows are finally here!

Credit: TGS

Of course they replaced the original steel casement windows with these modern house windows. Maybe they had to, to reduce noise in the building? It will be a recording and mastering studio and is expected to bring famous recording artists to downtown Winston-Salem. I did notice some of the windows are fake and blocked-in with CMUs. Those are likely the recording studios?

Lesser-Known Beer Company:
An update on this craft beer brewing company, with restaurant and offices. An apartment developer is in talks to acquire the land around this brewery project for... you guessed it... apartments & retail! So, the view from the windows of this brewery will be more new apartments. And those apartments aren't counted in the over 1,000 downtown apartments proposed over the past eight months, since this developer is still in talks to acquire the land and it's not in the area I define as downtown. It's a neighborhood bordering downtown, in my definition. I'm sure the brewery and restaurant love seeing hundreds of new apartments proposed around their building.

A look at the craft beer brewery:

Credit: lesserknownbeerco

The developer has an easement agreement with Duke Energy for this mixed-use project.

The proposed development site is the fenced-in pit in this photograph:
Quote:

Grant Park Expansion Phase II:

An impressive picnic shelter:

Credit: stitchdesignshop

WFBH ED/OR/ICU Tower:
Work on the helipad and elevator is completed. Parking Deck B is now permanently closed, with its demolition scheduled for the first week of March 2022. Completion is still scheduled for 2026.

Site demolition has already started and should accelerate by next month:

Massing study of a $450 million 12-15 storey building with spire proposed for this site:

The Legacy Apartments:

Quote:

The Easley Apartments:
Opening Summer 2022, according to the architect. Workers have installed the signage, along Second Street, but I don't have a photograph of it.

Interior Designer, Madi Cannon, at The Easley construction site:

Credit: ClineDesignNC

Credit: ClineDesignNC

Creative Corridors:
March 11 is the extended deadline to submit your art proposals for Salem Parkway's bridges and bike and walking path.

Off-Subject:

Video Link

Strong Job Growth Outlook and Among the Safest Cities:
Winston-Salem was ranked by Planner at Heart as the 16th safest city in the United States. They said Winston-Salem's rankings for job growth outlook and safety are among the best nationwide. Very impressive! Winston-Salem was the only city in the Carolinas in their rankings.

5 Surprising Cities Set To Become Boomtowns in 2022:
GO BankingRates rated Winston-Salem one of five cities set to become boomtowns in 2022. It has "a myriad of lifestyle activities catering to the under-40 community" and "has a talent pool of more than 2 million people, access to 30+ colleges and universities, and multiple airports.”

Charles Lindbergh in Winston-Salem:
On his 82 city tour of all 48 states, in 1927, Charles Lindbergh flew into Miller Airport (now Smith Reynolds Airport) and took a car to Hanes Park to speak. This was followed by a dinner at the Balinese Roof (food and dance venue 13 floors above downtown Winston-Salem) and he spent the night, before flying-out the next morning. Notice the billboard ad for Winston-Salem department store chain Gilmers at the start of the film and Reynolds Auditorium and the West End Neighborhood at the end of the film. It's from October 15, 1927, when Winston-Salem was the largest city in the Carolinas.

Video Link

The 5 Royales Statue:
There is growing talk of creating a statue of The 5 Royales in the downtown area. Not many details at this time. A funding source has been identified. The 5 Royales took the unique Winston-Salem sound to the pop charts and influenced rock-n-roll and r&b music for decades. They are in the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame. They wrote and performed several songs that became hits in the 1950s and became hits again when others performed/covered them from the 1960s through the 1990s.

Random Photographs:

Winston-Salem's Piedmont Wind Symphony performing at a downtown Winston-Salem structure designed by Bertram Goodhue's firm:

Credit: artscouncilwsfc

Those bricks are from 1868:

Credit: bestofwinston

Yes, this is inside the Winston-Salem city limits and you can bike there from the downtown bike paths:

Credit: aocrane

Your City

Old Posted Feb 24, 2022, 11:10 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Video Link

Merschel Park:
This project is finally in permitting, so we could see work restart soon! This block of Third Street will be closed from 2-28-22 to 12-31-22 for construction of both Merschel Park and Kaleideum Science Museum. Could that be the start date for the new downtown park?

Roar:
This is the conversion of a 1920s Ford automobile assembly plant and showroom into a food hall, restaurants, office space, and an entertainment venue. JL Caspers Prohibition Steakhouse is now open at Roar. Two more food hall tenants will open in March 2022. The bank office space will open March 1, 2022. Look for the Italian restaurant to open on March 4, 2022. When the weather warms-up, The Mayfair Club will open on the roof, with a 3,000 square-foot rooftop deck and bar. They will also have a 3,000 square-foot outdoor space next to the food hall. The live music / performance venue will open in another two-to-four weeks, completing this project.

Credit: stevenmontgomeryrealtor

JL Caspers Prohibition Steakhouse:

Credit: jlcaspers.ws

Great Gatsby Golf Club and Bowling:

Notice the now closed-off openings for skylights. When Model-T Fords were assembled on that floor, skylights provided more light to the assembly area. The developer had to close-off those openings to build a rooftop bar. In the 1920's, they would assemble the automobiles on the top floor, show and sell them on the middle floor, repair them on the lower floor, and store additional inventory on the neighboring lot for distribution to Ford retail showrooms in the region.

Bowling:

The bank office space:

See a Visualiner used for its original use: https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/c...r_in_Paris.jpg

Rooftop bar construction:

Second & Brookstown Apartments:
920 Brookstown was originally the location of the U.S. Naval Reserve Armory and Marine Corps Reserve. It was a very large building, demolished in the 1980s. Several cities are reusing their armory buildings. It would be interesting to see what Winston-Salem would do with it's Armory Building, if it was still standing. I'm sure many would prefer to have this apartment building, though.

Ronnies Downtown Grocery Store:

I was looking through old photographs of Woolworth Stores in the 1920s and this is the original 1915 design:

This photograph is from 1928 and you can see what that wall originally looked like:

Credit: Woolworth Museum

This 1925 photograph shows what the store would've looked like around a century ago:

Credit: National Building Museum

Another photograph from 1918 has those same wall details, so that is likely from the original 1915 renovation? They need to add school house lights if they want an accurate restoration. There are color versions of the logo that was on the walls.

Tucker's Tap Yard:

Credit: tuckers_tapyard

WFBH ED/OR/ICU Tower:
The City of Winston-Salem is reporting a road closure for construction staging and it seems to confirm what people have suspected: The site across from the under-construction 12-15 storey tower will become the staging site. This stretch of road will be closed until June 30, 2025.

Dram & Draught has finally signed a lease at Bailey Power Plant in the 1947 brick-clad Streamline Moderne building. They have wanted to open at Bailey Power Plant since 2018. Look for them in the space next to the smokestack with the lighted "power BAILEY plant" sign on it. The area below that lighted sign will become their outdoor patio. They have a private barrel program at each of their locations and will use it for their old-fashioneds. Dram & Draught is know for stocking nearly 400 whiskeys, New & Old World wine, and local & national craft beer. Most of their business is craft cocktails.

The new sign on the left says "sixhundredº LIVE FIRE KITCHEN" - Dram & Draught's outdoor patio will be on the right, below the Bailey sign:

WoodSpring Suites Extended Stay Hotel:
This is a new 5-storey hotel, about to start construction, across from Novant Health Forsyth Medical Center. Broyhill – Silas Pointe is the developer and brr Architecture is the architect.

A hotel, office space, conference center, craft beer brewery, and restaurant, multi-building adaptive-reuse project.

A look at the Huntley House Hotel at Robert Hall:

Those ugly and cheap replacement windows destroy the 1920s aesthetic they are going for and should be replaced with something closer to the originals:

Former Clemmons Library:
It appears as if Broyhill is possibly acquiring this property. Yes, the same developer building the WoodSpring Suites Hotel, discussed above. I don't know what the plans are, at this time?

Chatham Building Apartments & Retail:
Workers have started interior demolition on this project to convert an Art Deco office building into 20 apartments. Again, all ground floor retail tenants will stay open during construction and will remain when the project is completed.

Work has started on this adaptive-reuse project:

1001:
The Winston-Salem Shared Kitchen or WSSK (pronounced Whisk), proposed for the 1001 development, selected Joe Hedrick as their leadership.

The Easley Apartments:

Extreme power lines:

This "Art Deco Revival" sign is 30 feet / 9.15 metres tall:

Credit: Metrolina Sign

Crystal Towers Renovation:
Work will start in the next few months on the elevators. The elevator work should cost less than $700,000. Since parts are no longer available for the current elevators, this will be an elevator replacement. According to a recent news article, the biggest renovation changes will be on the outside of the building.

Lesser-Known Beer Company:
Updates on this new craft beer brewery with restaurant and office space.

Window installation:

Credit: latent_designs

They had their official topping-out ceremony last week, though it reached it's highest point several weeks ago. Completion is set for Spring 2023, according to the GC.

Credit: cjmw_architecture

Topping-out:

Credit: sametcorp

Salem Parkway Bike & Pedestrian Path:
New plans should be finalized in April or May, with construction restarting in June or July 2022 on this downtown bike and walking path.

Off-Subject:

Paul McCartney in Winston-Salem:
This is a great opportunity to visit Winston-Salem and see a great concert. Paul McCartney's GOT BACK Tour will stop in Winston-Salem at Truist Field on May 21. It will be the first stadium concert in Winston-Salem since the start of the pandemic. Maybe we are nearing the end of the pandemic and seeing the return of live music and events in Winston-Salem? Knock on the wood frame of a Link Apartments building.

James Beard Awards:
Peyton Smith, from Mission Pizza, and Stephanie Tyson, from Sweet Potatoes, are nominated for a James Beard award for best chef in the southeast. Both chefs and their restaurants are in downtown Winston-Salem's Trade Street Arts District. Eight chefs are nominated from North Carolina, including the two from downtown Winston-Salem.

Random Photographs:

East Third Street in downtown's IQ District, around 60 years ago:

Credit: Innovation Quarter

Your City

Old Posted Feb 26, 2022, 2:12 PM

Good stuff, thanks for the updates!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations