HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Courtyard & Residence Inn Manhattan/Central Park in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 11:15 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obey View Post
I imagine this will impact the skyline but by how much?
No differently than how Random House has.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 12:01 AM

This building is a foot taller than the Time Warner Center, so it will be the tallest hotel in the city.

The NY Observer and Curbed commentaries are using DOB building height, which isn't the same as actual building height.

But I don't doubt that there will be taller hotels in coming years. Hudson Yards, WTC, 57th St., etc.

Also, this portion of Broadway has a number of development sites. There could be another 3 or so skinny hotel towers within a few blocks of this hotel along Broadway.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
No differently than how Random House has.
Random House, which is roughly 50 ft. shorter, has a very impressive impact from the north and west.

It towers over Broadway from the Lincoln Center area, and has a big impact from Jersey.

The Random House tower, however, is significantly larger (in terms of square feet, not height).

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 2:58 AM
BROOKLYN

^^^ I have to disagree with you, as a person who is frequently in the Lincoln Center area (everyday) and a skyscraper fanatic the only skyscrapers that are noticeable are the TWC and the Hearst Tower. You can only see it down Broadway. I do love the Random House Tower, don't get me wrong. I guess its a bit disappointing that 1715 Broadway will not make much of a difference on the skyline.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 10:00 PM

I hate it when such tall towers don't make an impact on a skyline.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickser View Post
I hate it when such tall towers don't make an impact on a skyline.
i love it,its a sign of a great city

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 12:17 AM
BROOKLYN

^^^ I agree with both of you, its good and bad. Great filler tower.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 6:57 AM
Everywhere all at once

I was never much attached to the first design, I mean it was barely a design. Looked like something I (an amateur) could've drafted on a basic computer program. It was obviously preliminary. I like the finalized design actually...I can agree with Dac150, its quirks are what makes it unique. I feel like it will have an interesting impact on the skyline in the immediate area and I look forward to seeing it rise ...I wonder if you'll be able to see it from Columbus Circle, that's one of my favorite areas in the whole city.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 11:44 PM

From Wired New York:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteynyc1 View Post
Two-in-One Hotel Tower to Rise 67 Stories on Broadway

Tuesday, January 4, 2011, by Pete Davies

The new year is looking up, and rising to the occasion is a new twin pack of hotels from Marriott set to grow at Broadway and West 54th Street. The site, 1717 Broadway, is where developer Harry Gross and his Granite Broadway Development team have been putting things in place over the past decade by buying up the neighbors and gathering air rights from nearby theaters. The 10,000-square-foot lot will be home to a 716-foot, 67-story tower from architect Nobutaka Ashihara. That will make this Marriott one of the tallest hotels in town, just 35' shorter than the the Mandarin Oriental at the Time Warner Center, and more than 120' taller than the Trump International.
The long-term plan at 1717 Broadway. >>
An Ashihara brochure [pdf] describes the plan as "two independent hotels with separate characters, selected service and extended stay, vertically stacked." Renders show a grove of trees on top, encircling the mechanicals, which might best be viewed from the heights of Christian de Portzamparc's new Carnegie 57, now rising to 953 feet just a few blocks away. Vistas from up high here should be spectacular, which sort of explains why they've dubbed this the Marriott Central Park.
Down low along Broadway, just north of where David Letterman does his shtick and backing up to the stalled site at 250 West 55th Street, the Frankentower will present a six-story block in glass with retail, restaurants and hotel lobby. The Buildings Department has approved the plan and the Schedule A lays out the room scheme. Rising above the base will be a Courtyard Inn, covering floors 7-31, with 14 rooms per floor. On top of that will be a 30-story Residence Inn with 9 rooms per floor. The two-in-one combo will offer visitors the option of long term stays, a profitable package popular with both hoteliers and guests, especially in these budget conscious times.
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2011/0...adway.php#more
So now we have two sources indicating 716 feet. Time for a title change?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 4:50 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Probably not; the 716ft is the DOB height, which probably doesn't include the crown.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 4:57 AM

The renders above are as clear indicators for a potential diagram as they come. Anyone up for the task?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 11:58 AM
don't *meddle*...

solid 700 footer, hate the crown though.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
i love it,its a sign of a great city
Agreed. Only a small handful of cities in the world can pull that off.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2011, 3:50 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
The renders above are as clear indicators for a potential diagram as they come. Anyone up for the task?
I made a diagram for this tower on Dec. 30, 2010. I do need to update the crown though.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 5:27 PM

Moinian makes his move on West 54th Street

See the Steve Cuozzo column (Realty Check) in the March 1 NY Post. Here is the link: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...fksEl8FtkpJL2M

Do you see Moinian coming up with the money? So far it looks like he is trying to Squeeze Harry Gross with his Marriott on Broadway project, as who would want another hotel directly next door?

Gross will have access to the garage on Broadway directly next door, but Moinian can't build one on West 54th Street, as the building he owns next door at 241-245 has no available air rights, and will remain a four-story residence.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 5:50 AM

The crown looks odd but i would love for this to be built. its very fitting

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 12:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Q. Public View Post
See the Steve Cuozzo column (Realty Check) in the March 1 NY Post. Here is the link: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...fksEl8FtkpJL2M

Do you see Moinian coming up with the money? So far it looks like he is trying to Squeeze Harry Gross with his Marriott on Broadway project, as who would want another hotel directly next door?

Gross will have access to the garage on Broadway directly next door, but Moinian can't build one on West 54th Street, as the building he owns next door at 241-245 has no available air rights, and will remain a four-story residence.
I'd like to see these sites combined and a new, taller design created for Gross' site.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2011, 12:00 PM
don't *meddle*...

update by econ_tim, SSC, see here http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...7&postcount=30

they are digging!

Last edited by hunser; Apr 17, 2011 at 4:05 PM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 8:21 AM

Another plan to put greenery on the roof. Hopefully, they'll go through with that this time.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb View Post
Another plan to put greenery on the roof. Hopefully, they'll go through with that this time.
No way- that was an intern with a green pen! I honestly do not believe it is possible, barring huge expense and engineering, to grow trees above mechanicals at 700ft with such a small square footage of roof. The air exchange volume/heat alone would probably kill them. And on a building like this it would be pointless as far as environmental concerns go.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive