HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

432 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 16, 2011, 10:23 PM

Generally, I don't like boxy flat top buildings either

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
If you don't like spires, then you don't like the New York skyline at its best. Leave the flat, boring skylines to other cities, it's the spires that make New York's skyline what it is, and has for years. It's whey the New York skyline is so legendary around the world. It's the city that put skylines on the map.
I actually generally HATE flat buildings. And I generally like spires but this city has enough of them. Time to move on. New York needs something like this

It seems impossible for the city to build such a thing, which is sad because we need an actual tall buildings with an actual shape to the top, not some stupid box with a dumb needle at the top to cheat with the height like that silly looking Hudson Yard project.

A supersized version of this would look amazing:

Last edited by 599GTO; Apr 16, 2011 at 10:44 PM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2011, 2:44 AM
Metal Up Your !

^^^^

I agree with you to a certain extent. It's nice to have a nice variety of building shapes and sizes in a city, that to me is essential. And NYC does have lots of different buildings for different tastes. Since it's an old city, you get the old old art deco, the square boxes, and now the glass sleek towers. When they are all mixed together, it makes for a vibrant and interesting city to look at and enjoy. Although, it seems as though NY doesn't get enough variety of shapes, as you mentioned 599GTO. It would be nice to have proposals like those, but it really doesn't hurt a city as diverse as NY.

As for spires, like I mentioned before, they add variety to the skyline. So long as there isn't an oversaturation of spires, it really does add to NYC's character. As for using them just to add height, who really cares? It's not like if they didn't use them, they'd add more floors just for the height.

Anyways, those are my opinions

Old Posted Apr 17, 2011, 7:18 PM

Walked by the site today.
Here's what it looked like :

no miracle ...

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 11:21 PM

I'm glad this one has gotten a pass to move forward. It has totally caught my attention, possibly because of its top-secrecy. Hopefully construction will move along quickly despite the fact that anyone on-site will likely be constantly fighting the desire to go around the corner to nearby Four Seasons to gaze at its lobby or order everything on the menu at the Garden. I have never dined at that restaurant myself but really hope to get a reservation one day.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 2:43 AM

soo..... this will be a thousand+ footer?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 10:53 AM
BANNED

300m+ of high-end skyscraper coming soon!

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...PHAgCHnvh4gvgO

Drake site demolition OK'd

Posted: 12:02 AM, April 19, 2011

Steve Cuozzo

REALTY CHECK

The owners of the bar ren Drake Hotel site have just gotten Buildings Dept. approval to demolish 44 E. 57th St., one of several retail townhouses that stand in the way of a proposed 70-story project they're straining to start. But don't expect it to shoot out of the ground overnight.

Despite the new demo permit and a recent filing for underground work, site owner CIM Group and its development "adviser," Harry Macklowe, seem to have a long way to go before above-ground construction can begin.

Sources say CIM, while downplaying Macklowe's role, is simultaneously tapping his skill as a bare-knuckles negotiator to try ousting pesky holdouts at the site.

SLOW PROGRESS: CIM Group, owner of the Drake Hotel site, has talked to several ultra-high-end hotel operators, but no deal has materialized.
Meanwhile, we're told CIM has talked to several ultra-high-end hotel operators to anchor the tower -- but no deal appears imminent.

At least more demolition is the cards on top of the razing of the Drake, which has left an empty lot at Park Avenue at 56th Street and doomed several handsome retail townhouses on East 57th.

The precious assemblage currently consists of the L-shaped former Drake land at 440 Park Ave. at 56th Street, which wraps around the office tower at 450 Park Ave., and five townhouses on East 57th.

CIM took over the properties last year, following a tussle that resulted after Macklowe, who bought the Drake in 2006 for $410 million, defaulted on a construction loan. It is unclear whether Macklowe's "advisory" role includes equity in the project.

CIM now owns Nos. 38, 40, 44, 46 and 50 E. 57th St. -- but it also covets No. 42, owned by Turnbull & Asser, and No. 48, owned by Jacob & Co. It also wants Buccellati to give up its lease at No. 46.

Gaining control of 42, 46 and 48 would permit construction of a 57th Street façade with 150 feet of precious sidewalk frontage, compared to about the 70 feet it can build using 38 and 40 alone -- or 101 feet with only 38, 40 and 42.

CIM is now ready to demolish vacant No. 44, immediately east of Turnbull. It will happen even as No. 40 to Turnbull's west continues to be dismantled under a permit we first reported two months ago. Demolishing the buildings on either side of Turnbull is a strong inducement for the menswear emporium to swap No. 42 for vacant No. 50 four doors east.

Meanwhile, sources said Los Angeles-based CIM has tried to lure Mandarin Oriental, Taj, and One&Only Resorts to operate a high-end inn on the lower floors, with luxury condo apartments to rise above them.

A bid to lure department store Nordstrom to the site several years ago is "ancient history," an insider said.

CIM declined to comment. A source close to the company insisted the project is entirely CIM's, that Macklowe is merely "an adviser," and that CIM is "very happy with the assemblage it now has."

However, we've learned that Macklowe has been in the thick of prolonged, heated negotiations with Jacob & Co. and Buccellati over possible buyouts.

Although Jacob says it has no intention of selling, an insider termed that "a negotiation tactic." The source said both jewelers nixed what they regarded as "peanuts" buyout offers.

A different source said Macklowe rejected their "demands" a few weeks ago in colorful, unprintable language.

Insiders said CIM and Macklowe have now told the retailers they will "build around" them. Such posturing on both sides is common in holdout battles, but it was unclear whether either side was willing to budge.

Turnbull is a different kind of holdout than Jacob or Buccellati. It's long been in talks with CIM to give up its building in exchange for 50 E. 57th only a few doors east of its current home.

Although nothing's firm, an agreement for Turnbull to move appears on track. CIM has filed with the city to "renovate" the interior of 50 E. 57th St.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...#ixzz1JxueWhE0

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 1:21 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlx2 View Post
I'm glad this one has gotten a pass to move forward.
It's always had a pass to move forward, but there was the matter of tenants, financing, etc. Originally planned as a 70-story tower, then a shorter office tower, no again morphing to a 70 or so story tower.

It will be interesting indeed to see if this one breaks 1,000 ft. It's close enough to the Tower Verre and Carnegie 57 sites to be included with those towers in terms of location on the skyline and relation to surrounding area.

Quote:
Meanwhile, sources said Los Angeles-based CIM has tried to lure Mandarin Oriental, Taj, and One&Only Resorts to operate a high-end inn on the lower floors, with luxury condo apartments to rise above them.
Waiting to see how this one turns out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTO View Post
Generally, I don't like boxy flat top buildings either

I actually generally HATE flat buildings. And I generally like spires but this city has enough of them. Time to move on.
The skyline doesn't have enough actually. Considering the enormous amount of skyscrapers on the skyline, there is still a way to go before the classic New York skyline is returned, especially with the coming wall of boxy towers on the west side. I think this would be a great site for a spire, higher than the Chrysler, and a throwback of sorts to iconic New York.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 1:55 PM
BANNED

Cuozzo suggests in his article that Turnbull will move to 50 E 57th based upon a recently filed permit for an interior renovation. Someone at WNY claims that T&A will move by June.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 4:31 PM
BANNED

The attached article from 20 April 2011 re: The Drake also discusses the rumoured imminent construction of Torre Verre.

http://www.observer.com/2011/real-es...t-start?page=1

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 7:32 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
...from the article

Quote:
While the final stages of destruction are noisily under way, plans have been quietly drawn up to build a condo tower with three floors targeted at luxury retailers and perhaps a hotel in between-strikingly similar to what Mr. Macklowe wanted all along. The building could reach as high as 70 stories, and "it will have extraordinary views," one person said.

I bet it will.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 8:16 PM
New Yorker for life

For an idea of the area, here's an older photo from eralsoto. (I believe I also have the book the pic was taken from.)

The tower would be on the right side of Park Avenue, close to the bottom of the photo.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 9:08 PM
BANNED

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict an utter show stopper!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 12:18 AM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
For an idea of the area, here's an older photo from eralsoto. (I believe I also have the book the pic was taken from.)

The tower would be on the right side of Park Avenue, close to the bottom of the photo.

What building is Park Avenue? Not everyone here lives in NY

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 12:40 AM
BANNED

NYGuy said the tower will be located on the right side of the street, Park Ave., when viewed from the photo. The black boxy building seen on the lower right hand side is adjacent to the site for The Drake. Also, the site sits in front of the tower with the pyramid-shaped crown.

FRIENDS, I SAY: BE PREPARED TO BE DAZZLED!!!

Last edited by RobertWalpole; Apr 21, 2011 at 12:53 AM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 1:20 AM
New Yorker for life

Yeah, perhaps a little orientation is in order, using Google Earth...

This tower will wrap around 450 Park Avenue, (the blackish building at the bottom of that last photo), fronting both 56th and 57th, and a portion on Park Avenue.

56th Street side

57th and Park Avenue. The tower will wrap around 450 Park Ave (black building), some of the townhomes are already gone.

57th Street side

Park and 57th

Park and 56th

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 1:23 AM
BANNED

I loved those townhouses, but I am excited!!

Right now, Extell is poised to offer the only new ultra-high-end product in a market with extremely strong demand. I predict that CIM plans an absolute show stopper that will steal Extell's thunder and will be rivaled only by Torre Verre.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 10:17 AM
don't *meddle*...

another pic to show the area:

andrew mace—

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 12:38 PM
New Yorker for life

As everyone has been saying, this is almost a perfect location. No wonder it's considered the most valuable development site in North America. I didn't expect the next "boom" for another year or two, but the dam is ready to burst. And I love that more established areas like the east side and the 57th Street corridoor are seeing new developments.

Meanwhile, various permits to get going on foundation work at least.
http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...A3&requestid=2

There will be 1 mechanical and 3 retail storage levels underground.
http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/BS...allbin=1088583

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 8:15 PM

Smile

I think that a 1000 ft tower between Citigroup Center and Bloomberg Tower, will be fantastic.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 9:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post

FRIENDS, I SAY: BE PREPARED TO BE DAZZLED!!!
So, have you seen the design?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive