HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 10:26 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I haven't been to Athens in ages. It was never a high-end place but it used to have cheap, decent food. Sparta used to do cheap breakfasts that were popular with Dal students.

I finally went to Mezza when I was in Halifax in August and was impressed. Everything I had there was done well.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2010, 12:18 AM

I've been really impressed with the variety of restaurants here. Obviously the raw amount of them dosen't compare but the options in cuisine is seriously on par with that I encountered in Vancouver. Haven't had the chance to go to too many places but The Old Triangle is a solid favorite of mine. Bit pricey but I love Irish pubs to death and their seafood chowder is the best replacement for comfort food I've been able to find being on the other end of the country from home.

I just wish there was a genuinely good Indian restaurant here - given how much of a British feel Halifax has to it the lack of good curry is a bit of a shortcoming. That spot on Dresden Row (Curry House?) is okay when I'm craving some Indian but I've had way better out west.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2010, 12:20 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Is the Taj Mahal open again or is it reopening?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
Is the Taj Mahal open again or is it reopening?
It's open; I actually haven't had a chance to try them but I've heard a ton of bad things about them.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 11:33 PM

Fiasco

Im bored tonight. They kept it small and hands on and do it very well. I dont try others much as this is like home.

On the Darkness side. Moxies not bad for a chain. Porters is Hit or Miss middle of the road. Loved the Porterhouse no longer offered. YOu want big cheap servings - SAMs - get fish not steak.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 6:03 PM

Moxie's is okay and we've had it out west for ages. But they keep screwing witht he menu and it's very annoying. I remember one day in the summer, I decided to go for a walk and then treat myself to the penne carbonara at Moxie's. I arrived to find it had been removed and replaced. Now the item they put in it's place (I can't remember it's name) is gone.

Added to that, they took aware my shaker martini (the appletini) - which impresses me even less!

A good place I didn't get too while I was home is Zen for Chineese food (in Clayton Park). The sit down restaurant has very good service and the staff are polite, but you can also get it to go.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 1:09 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Moxie's style restaurants are very common in Vancouver -- slick looking decor but somewhat expensive and pedestrian food. They're an attempt to turn a certain kind of higher-end restaurant into a ubiquitous chain with a recognizable brand. It seems to have worked well.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 6:39 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

The Baton Rouge has been open for a bit now. Has anyone on here tried it yet?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 6:51 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

On a different note. Does anyone know what happened to Perks Coffee? I know that there was an eviction from the Lwr. Water location but I can't find out why the other locations closed. They always seemed fairly busy when I was at one.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 9:30 PM
Urban Thinker

Quote:
I know people who have been, and the reviews seem to be pretty negative. The atmosphere is great, but the service is lackluster and the food is mediocre at best.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 9:44 PM

Quote:
On a different note. Does anyone know what happened to Perks Coffee? I know that there was an eviction from the Lwr. Water location but I can't find out why the other locations closed. They always seemed fairly busy when I was at one.
The Quinpool location is closed... don't know much more than that.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
From what I understand, the lady who bought the business from Michel got in financial trouble. Maybe she overpaid, maybe she mismanaged, I dunno. But she couldn't pay her bills and closed the whole thing down. Too bad, i always liked Perks.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
I tried Baton Rouge last Saturday and it was really good. I had steak and my girlfriend had ribs and shrimp. Good service but you pay for it $$$.

I would have to say that my favourite restaurant in Halifax in Mary's Place on Robie. By far the best breakfast for the best price, but the rest of their menu is also very good. Licensed too

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
The space is very nice and I had no issues with service but I find the menu choices a bit odd. Nothing really jumped out at me as a gotta-try. What I had was fine, not outstanding but not bad either. I think they need some help in figuring out what they are. The menu choices did not make me want to go back.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
My parents went there last week and were impressed. I just got back from Halifax after a few days there, I had Jack Astor's which was good and went to Your Father's Mustache which I had heard good things about but I just found it okay.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haligonia View Post
I know people who have been, and the reviews seem to be pretty negative. The atmosphere is great, but the service is lackluster and the food is mediocre at best.
I partially agree. Maybe I ordered the wrong thing but I think it's pretty easy to make a decent burger. Mine seemed to be of the frozen variety and overpriced. The dessert on the other hand was great fresh homemade key lime pie and red velvet cake. The patio could be great because it gets late afternoon sun but there's so much traffic flying by, including trucks, that it's way too noisy. Some bushes or trellis could fix this. The inside looks great though and I will give it the benefit of the doubt and try something even more meaty.

Last edited by coolmillion; Oct 6, 2011 at 12:15 AM. Reason: typo

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 12:48 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
My parents went there last week and were impressed. I just got back from Halifax after a few days there, I had Jack Astor's which was good and went to Your Father's Mustache which I had heard good things about but I just found it okay.
What did you order at the Mustache? Their Caesar Salad is one of the reasons I go. It usually wins best salad in Metro.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 1:48 AM

Quote:
What did you order at the Mustache? Their Caesar Salad is one of the reasons I go. It usually wins best salad in Metro.
I had a pasta with an big name, it was spicy with chicken sausage and shrimp.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 5:19 PM
Fizzix geek

my wife and I went to Sweet Hereafter (a cheesecake place on Quinpool) last weekend. It was really good cheesecake, and a fairly funky atmosphere that my wife enjoyed. Hopefully they do well, as it is nice to see some new variety on Quinpool.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 5:29 PM

Can't go wrong a classic, The Bluenose II.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment