HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


View Poll Results: Should Canada still see the British Monarch as its own?
Continue to recognize the Monarchy 72 39.34%
Get rid of it 96 52.46%
Split Royal Family to reign Commonwealth members 15 8.20%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #421  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 12:06 AM
flar's Avatar
flar flar is online now
..........
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 13,913
I used to be against the monarchy. Upon reflection, I think the only reason was simple defiance of authority. That's not a valid reason to get rid of it, especially since it would cause a constitutional crisis.

The current arrangement is not hurting anything and the monarchy may have important social and political functions. I don't think anyone benefits by messing around with it.
__________________
RECENT PHOTOS:
TORONTOSAN FRANCISCO ROCHESTER, NYHAMILTONGODERICH, ON WHEATLEY, ONCOBOURG, ONLAS VEGASLOS ANGELES
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #422  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 4:50 AM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,490
Just submitted a short piece in relation to the death of Prince Philip, as a choice for a final weekly reflection. The point is to briefly mention key themes from the semester in the context of contemporary events. Figured I'd post it here...
______

The death of Prince Philip this past week has opened the opportunity to discuss the long-standing systemic racism at the highest levels of our civilization. While the King Consort was revered as a member of the British Royal Family, his past actions are no doubt exemplary of many of the themes discussed in this course. As a high-level official of a former colonial empire, Philip travelled the world, enraging many people throughout the globe with insensitive, uneducated comments that, during his life, were shrugged off a “gaffes.” Now that he is dead, it seems many are taking a deeper look into his life and actions. As an example, on a trip to Hong Kong – then one of the final vestiges of the British Empire – he told British students studying there that they may “become slit-eyed” if they stayed much longer. His racist rhetoric was directed the world over, in New Guinea where he insinuated the people were cannibals, to Queensland where he asked Australian Aborigines if they “still throw spears at each other,” and in Kenya he – while clearly knowing the individual he was talking to was a female – asked a woman who just presented him a gift if she was in fact a woman. This racist, sexist, ableist behaviour of his was recorded throughout his century-long existence, showing little to no personal development through the decades. We can now examine such a long-lasting and pathetic display of antipathy at the highest levels of human civilization. Hopefully, now the youth of this elite sector of society may be able to act as citizens of the world, rather than embarrass themselves the world over as eurocentric buffoons.
__________________
Strong & Free

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #423  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 11:26 AM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 24,461


Wow Chad, you really don't know how to write an obituary........

You'd better hope that your professor isn't a monarchist. Your best bet is if this is a sociology, political science or women's studies course.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #424  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 11:49 AM
kool maudit's Avatar
kool maudit kool maudit is offline
five one foreigner
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 12,410
The most telling of all Prince Philip's many hilarious comments was the one in Scotland, where he asked a driving instructor how he managed to keep the natives off the drink.

Because he was a prince, and that is something different, in their own self-conception and history if nothing else, than just another celebrity or public figure. We were all crude, comical "natives" to be stereotyped and mocked, even citizens (subjects) of his "own" realm.

He didn't see himself as something like a Tony Blair or a Kofi Annan. He saw himself as like Ashurbanipal. And it mattered literally nothing what you thought of his mocking asides.

Last edited by kool maudit; Apr 13, 2021 at 12:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #425  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 11:58 AM
kool maudit's Avatar
kool maudit kool maudit is offline
five one foreigner
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 12,410
And for those who hope that we are emerging from a long darkness into some new and hopeful dawn, I'd suggest you keep an eye on how the peers and lords are doing. Because while they, in acknowledgment of the sheer numbers of the Global South, are certainly preparing a new layer within the institutional class, and even perhaps encouraging a degree of strategic outbreeding, they don't plan to vacate the palaces.

Super non-racist diamond mine owners lunching with NGO chiefs of exotic ancestry.

Because it never needed to be racist. That was just a form adapted to a time. The Romans were not racist. But they were Romans.

There are distinctions we can't yet even imagine that will one day be felt at a whip's end.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #426  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 12:00 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 24,461
What most people don't know about Philip's "gaffes" are that most of these comments were uttered during receiving lines, when nervous local functionaries were queuing to meet the royal couple. A lot of these people were extremely nervous and ill at ease meeting the Queen. Philip would try to crack jokes with people in the line to disarm them and put them at ease. This worked quite well most of the time, but sometimes his retorts were a little tone deaf.

Philip was not a racist (although some people on this forum have such a low bar for racism that even the Pope would be considered a Nazi).

Regarding the comment about the spear chucking aborigines, I know for a fact that he made the comment after visiting a nearby aboriginal community, and one of the residents there mentioned that they used to throw spears at their neighbours (making a joke with Philip, knowing the royal couple were also visiting the other village). Philip, while visiting the other village merely jokingly asked if the residents of that village also threw spears at their neighbours (trying to break the ice). This was overheard by the tabloid media who made a big fuss.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #427  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 12:30 PM
Vorkuta's Avatar
Vorkuta Vorkuta is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Moncton, NB
Posts: 1,624
Yikes. BRB, headin out to dig up some dead relatives and smack them around with the shovel a bit before reburying.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #428  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 12:36 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is online now
INformed before INdignant
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canada's asterisk
Posts: 52,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
And for those who hope that we are emerging from a long darkness into some new and hopeful dawn, I'd suggest you keep an eye on how the peers and lords are doing. Because while they, in acknowledgment of the sheer numbers of the Global South, are certainly preparing a new layer within the institutional class, and even perhaps encouraging a degree of strategic outbreeding, they don't plan to vacate the palaces.

Super non-racist diamond mine owners lunching with NGO chiefs of exotic ancestry.

Because it never needed to be racist. That was just a form adapted to a time. The Romans were not racist. But they were Romans.

There are distinctions we can't yet even imagine that will one day be felt at a whip's end.
Where we were. Where we are. Where we are going.
__________________
"Tout ce qui est exagéré est insignifiant." - Charles-Maurice de Talleyrand-Périgord
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #429  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 12:50 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
What most people don't know about Philip's "gaffes" are that most of these comments were uttered during receiving lines, when nervous local functionaries were queuing to meet the royal couple. A lot of these people were extremely nervous and ill at ease meeting the Queen. Philip would try to crack jokes with people in the line to disarm them and put them at ease. This worked quite well most of the time, but sometimes his retorts were a little tone deaf.

Philip was not a racist (although some people on this forum have such a low bar for racism that even the Pope would be considered a Nazi).

Regarding the comment about the spear chucking aborigines, I know for a fact that he made the comment after visiting a nearby aboriginal community, and one of the residents there mentioned that they used to throw spears at their neighbours (making a joke with Philip, knowing the royal couple were also visiting the other village). Philip, while visiting the other village merely jokingly asked if the residents of that village also threw spears at their neighbours (trying to break the ice). This was overheard by the tabloid media who made a big fuss.
Omigod... don't add context and reason to the narrative. How else will we be able to rewrite history?

I have never understood why some people feel the need to dig into the past of people and judge them by ultra-woke standards of the current day. Context and understanding seem to have dropped off the radar, to be replaced by self-righteousness and cancel culture. I hope that these people will be able to live with the world that they are creating when they, themselves, are someday judged by future generations...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #430  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 12:58 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is online now
INformed before INdignant
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canada's asterisk
Posts: 52,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
The Quebecois grievance gene is strong with this one.
Bwaaah. Aside from the fact that this is a ridiculous allegation given how balanced my posts on here have been (or perhaps nothing but full loyalty and deference is acceptable?), my anti-monarchism is more Acadian than anything related to Quebec.

(If you know Canadian history that shouldn't be too hard to figure out.)

Anyway, I don't have any personal animus towards the current royals, as they didn't do any of that themselves. The Queen looks like a nice lady.
__________________
"Tout ce qui est exagéré est insignifiant." - Charles-Maurice de Talleyrand-Périgord
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #431  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 1:19 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 24,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The Queen looks like a nice lady.
And she apparently speaks impeccable French too. This should put her in your good graces for sure!
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #432  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 1:33 PM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 20,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Just submitted a short piece in relation to the death of Prince Philip, as a choice for a final weekly reflection. The point is to briefly mention key themes from the semester in the context of contemporary events. Figured I'd post it here...
______

The death of Prince Philip this past week has opened the opportunity to discuss the long-standing systemic racism at the highest levels of our civilization. While the King Consort was revered as a member of the British Royal Family, his past actions are no doubt exemplary of many of the themes discussed in this course. As a high-level official of a former colonial empire, Philip travelled the world, enraging many people throughout the globe with insensitive, uneducated comments that, during his life, were shrugged off a “gaffes.” Now that he is dead, it seems many are taking a deeper look into his life and actions. As an example, on a trip to Hong Kong – then one of the final vestiges of the British Empire – he told British students studying there that they may “become slit-eyed” if they stayed much longer. His racist rhetoric was directed the world over, in New Guinea where he insinuated the people were cannibals, to Queensland where he asked Australian Aborigines if they “still throw spears at each other,” and in Kenya he – while clearly knowing the individual he was talking to was a female – asked a woman who just presented him a gift if she was in fact a woman. This racist, sexist, ableist behaviour of his was recorded throughout his century-long existence, showing little to no personal development through the decades. We can now examine such a long-lasting and pathetic display of antipathy at the highest levels of human civilization. Hopefully, now the youth of this elite sector of society may be able to act as citizens of the world, rather than embarrass themselves the world over as eurocentric buffoons.
"King Consort"? Prince consort, surely.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #433  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 1:35 PM
kool maudit's Avatar
kool maudit kool maudit is offline
five one foreigner
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 12,410
Philip wasn't naive, though, he loved dropping the burns by all appearances. I mean he was Danish, after all.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #434  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 2:22 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is online now
INformed before INdignant
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canada's asterisk
Posts: 52,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
And she apparently speaks impeccable French too. This should put her in your good graces for sure!
Yeah, regardless of one's views on the legitimacy of her role (especially in the Canadian context), one can't say that she is an imposter.
__________________
"Tout ce qui est exagéré est insignifiant." - Charles-Maurice de Talleyrand-Périgord
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #435  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 3:02 PM
VANRIDERFAN's Avatar
VANRIDERFAN VANRIDERFAN is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bahrain
Posts: 3,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yeah, regardless of one's views on the legitimacy of her role (especially in the Canadian context), one can't say that she is an imposter.
I kind of wish that Anne was the heir to the throne. Women monarchs of England and the UK seem to of had a much better influence on the nation than their male counterparts.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #436  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 3:02 PM
urbandreamer's Avatar
urbandreamer urbandreamer is offline
recession proof
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,813
Chadillaccc's writing is typical of the academic papers I've read - terribly written filled with emotion and mainstream unoriginal ideas. Explains why print media and the CBC etc has gone to shit. Prince Phillip displayed typical upper class English humour - understated delivery with a humorous punch. You have to be kind of German to take it so literally.

Kind of reminds me of my dad's sense of humour: eg I asked him "Do you believe in Jesus?" to which he replied "Do you believe in Santa Claus?"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #437  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 5:29 PM
rousseau's Avatar
rousseau rousseau is online now
Registered Drug User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 6,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
And for those who hope that we are emerging from a long darkness into some new and hopeful dawn, I'd suggest you keep an eye on how the peers and lords are doing. Because while they, in acknowledgment of the sheer numbers of the Global South, are certainly preparing a new layer within the institutional class, and even perhaps encouraging a degree of strategic outbreeding, they don't plan to vacate the palaces.

Super non-racist diamond mine owners lunching with NGO chiefs of exotic ancestry.

Because it never needed to be racist. That was just a form adapted to a time. The Romans were not racist. But they were Romans.

There are distinctions we can't yet even imagine that will one day be felt at a whip's end.
I can't help but feel that you assign too much intention and agency to individuals existing within the maelstrom of currents, trends and orientations. Like identifying beneficial adaptations in hindsight as if they were the product of a designer.

The diamond mine owner is concerned with gaining and protecting profits, and he'd be happy if the "Global South" rose up and provided him with new markets.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #438  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 6:31 PM
CityTech CityTech is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
I kind of wish that Anne was the heir to the throne. Women monarchs of England and the UK seem to of had a much better influence on the nation than their male counterparts.
I agree. In fact, given Britain's historical record, I honestly think there's a case to be made for female-preference primogeniture.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #439  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 6:44 PM
Razor Razor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Nonsense, you must have no sense of history at all. Canadian institutions, system of governments, language, and much of the culture has been based on British tradition since the beginning. I like Danish cheese and furniture though.
No! I'm just an anti-monarchist period! It has nothing to do with how in tune I am to our history. The British Monarchy component isn't the be all and end all or centre everything we adopted from British, or by extension European culture either.

Last edited by Razor; Apr 14, 2021 at 10:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #440  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 8:43 PM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post


Wow Chad, you really don't know how to write an obituary........

You'd better hope that your professor isn't a monarchist. Your best bet is if this is a sociology, political science or women's studies course.
It's a sociology course, the prof is most definitely not a monarchist.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
Yikes. BRB, headin out to dig up some dead relatives and smack them around with the shovel a bit before reburying.
He's not my relative, he has never had any bearing or relevance in my life, he deserved far worse words but it was for school so I toned it down.
__________________
Strong & Free

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:28 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.