HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 8:36 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Smile NEW YORK | 29th & 5th (8 West 30th Street) | 686 FT | 43 FLOORS

HFZ files to raze storied Bancroft Building in NoMad
Part of three-property demolition that would give rise to mixed-use tower
By Mark Maurer February 17, 2014 01:20PM

From left: 3-7 West 29th Street and 8-14 West 30th Street (Inset: Ziel Feldman)

Quote:
Developer Ziel Feldman’s HFZ Capital filed permits last week to tear down the first of three buildings in NoMad to make way for a proposed 350,000-square-foot mixed-use tower, according to Department of Buildings records.

The Bancroft Building is a 10-story, 61,230-square-foot office building at 3-7 West 29th Street, between Broadway and Fifth Avenue, with nine units. Founded in 1896, it notably housed photographer Alfred Stieglitz’s Camera Club of New York, which is now located at 336 West 37th Street.

The Collegiate Reformed Protestant Dutch Church sold the building in October for $26.2 million, along with two other properties, to HFZ. Those sites — a four-story mixed-use building at 11 West 29th Street and a 12-story, 108,750-square-foot commercial property at 8-14 West 30th Street – changed hands for $8.8 million and $35.1 million, respectively, property records show.

Records show that on the same date as the sales, HFZ acquired a $15 million loan from Banco Inbursa, a Mexican-based bank. Tenants at the Bancroft Building include post-graduate psychiatric school the Blanton-Peale Institute and Counseling Center.

HFZ and Collegiate Asset Management, the real estate arm of Collegiate Church, entered talks to form a joint partnership about a year ago, as The Real Deal reported. The developers were looking at a number of possible plans, including constructing a hotel or residential units, a source said. The site has been in play at least as far back as 2006, when the church began acquiring the buildings.

Feldman declined to comment on the project or when the demolition is slated to occur. Collegiate could not be immediately reached.

August 2013 Early Rendering:

Curbed NY

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 8:53 PM

There's also another development site undergoing demolition a block south at 28th Street & Broadway.

I don't have details on this other project, but I'm guessing hotel or hotel-residential.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 9:32 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Another pre-war beauty potentially biting the dust. The building on the right is disposable, but the Bancroft is gorgeous. Maybe it's just the Angeleno in me who overvalues historic buildings, but this is getting ridiculous. The ESB, Chanin, Ansonia, etc. will always be there, but the mid-sized buildings collectively count for just as much and they put Manhattan's urban fabric over the top.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 10:51 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Another pre-war beauty potentially biting the dust. The building on the right is disposable, but the Bancroft is gorgeous. Maybe it's just the Angeleno in me who overvalues historic buildings, but this is getting ridiculous. The ESB, Chanin, Ansonia, etc. will always be there, but the mid-sized buildings collectively count for just as much and they put Manhattan's urban fabric over the top.
... shame on Feldman.

Last edited by Hypothalamus; Feb 26, 2014 at 8:35 PM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 1:48 AM

Wow. Tearing down the Bancroft to put up that... thing... is like 1960s-era kind of tragic.

And here might be a good place to re-iterate that we probably wouldn't have such a tough time with NIMBYs in general if developers didn't so often insist on putting up new buildings that are so awful.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 2:18 AM

Seriously despicable. I can not believe this building wasn't Landmarked. Something is wrong. What a loss.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 8:43 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

New York YIMBY:

Demolition Imminent: 3 West 29th Street
BY: NIKOLAI FEDAK ON FEBRUARY 26TH 2014 AT 9:00 AM

Quote:
The green fencing of doom has risen around the base of 3 West 29th Street, which will be torn down to make way for a mixed-use development by HFZ Capital. The Real Deal reported on the building’s impending demolition last week, which will vanish along with adjacent structures at 11 West 29th Street and 8 West 30th Street.

While YIMBY supports new development, the existing 3 West 29th Street — aka The Bancroft Building, which was built in 1896 — is one of the best remaining examples of nineteenth century New York City in the neighborhood. The facade’s brickwork is remarkable, and the structure adds significantly to NoMAD’s character.

Plans for the future development are vague, though a massing diagram — via Curbed — outlines the site’s potential. With air rights totaling 350,000 square feet, the replacement will likely make a mark on the skyline.

Given NoMAD’s surging profile and cache, it is entirely possible that HFZ’s development will be aesthetically superior to The Bancroft Building; progress is not possible without sacrifice. The neighborhood is no stranger to change, and even The Empire State Building — located four blocks to the north — came at the cost of the old Waldorf Astoria.

Regardless of sentiments for historic architecture, it does appear that 3 West 29th Street will be coming down. Permits confirm the green fencing of doom is here to stay, as demolition was approved on February 12th. While HFZ’s project will put the land to a higher and better use, it would still be nice the exterior of The Bancroft could remain. No completion date for the new building has been announced.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 9:35 PM
Show me the blueprints

A considerate developer and an inventive architect could have found a way to incorporate the Bancroft into the base of the modern tower. Even if it was only a facadectomy, it would have been better than losing it altogether.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 11:47 AM

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 11:30 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Demolition is occurring today.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 12:25 PM

Aw man what an awesome facade. RIP.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 12:31 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Aw man what an awesome facade. RIP.
Yea this one is gonna hurt. It is a beauty, but, we must all move on. It had its time in this great city for a 118 years. I only hope that what replaces it is worthy.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
Seriously despicable. I can not believe this building wasn't Landmarked. Something is wrong. What a loss.
Agreed. I would have thought NY would push (and be successful) for landmark designation on these historic beauties.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 10:44 PM
Ex Houstonian

Disgusting that they are tearing that incredible building down for a generic not very tall glass piece of shit. WTF where was the NYC Landmarks Commission on this issue?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Disgusting that they are tearing that incredible building down for a generic not very tall glass piece of shit.
We have no idea what will be built here. There are no building permits yet, and no released renderings.

That massing model earlier in the thread was just used for marketing purposes when the previous owner sold to the current owner.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 7:21 AM
BANNED

No big loss here in my opinion. The colors and the building itself wasn't that great to begin with.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 12:06 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Vision: Bancroft Building’s Replacement at 3 West 29th Street

Quote:
NoMad’s transformation is occurring at a breakneck pace all the way to 30th Street, and HFZ Capital’s project surrounding Collegiate Church may soon become one of the neighborhood’s largest residential towers. The site spans the width of the block, encompassing the former Bancroft Building at 3 West 29th Street, as well as 11 West 29th Street and 8-16 West 30th Street.

Now, YIMBY has the first renderings of a concept proposal for the assemblage, from architecture firm FR-EE. The 400,000-square foot building would be mixed-use, and per the architect,

“The lower levels are allocated to a hotel with a selection of curated upscale restaurants and shops, while the upper levels are reserved for residential, one and two-story apartments.”

A mixed-use configuration would be sensible given the location, and the design optimizes the square footage for that purpose, extruding floor area outward as the tower rises. This maximizes the size of (likely) condominiums on upper floors, which is key to development in a market where height allows for significant price premiums.

FR-EE’s vision looks to stand approximately 55 stories tall, which would make it one of the largest towers in the neighborhood. Nearby, 15 East 30th Street will stand 830 feet tall, and across the street, another 50+ story tower is slated to rise at 281 Fifth Avenue.

Altogether, that could place three 50+ story towers on an intersection where none currently exist, highlighting the speed at which NoMad is evolving. And while 57th Street’s evolution may be more impressive in terms of sheer height, the street-level changes around NoMad over the past several years have been even more staggering — so it is no surprise to see the neighborhood’s skyline finally catching up to improvements on the ground.
=============================
http://www.yimbynews.com/2014/12/rev...-bed-stuy.html

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 12:42 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Higher Quality Rendering:

Credit: http://fr-ee.org/nomad-tower/

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 2:55 AM
Walk taker

Who will save the world from post-post-modern architecture?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 3:29 AM

Rise, you beautiful skyline changer, you.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction