HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 3:30 PM
Closed account

Nothing too exciting, but a new 4 story with retail going up on Webster just west of Racine. I believe they guy who owns @ properties is behind this one.

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016...-zoning-change

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 4:01 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
In case anybody is curious, I put together an interactive map of all community areas in Chicago and their population change 2014 versus 2010. The 2015 data by census tract will be coming out on Dec 8th so you better believe I'll be crunching the data around then to see what's changed.

https://chicagodata.carto.com/viz/29...68f/public_map

We all know about downtown and some other north side areas gaining population, but I think what is interesting here is that all community areas from south loop down to Hyde Park between the lake
and I-90 gained population except Washington Park. Washington Park lost only 70 people which isn't as bad as some other areas on the south side. Also interesting to note is that Greater Grand Crossing and Chatham were estimated to have gained people. It shows that Bridgeport lost 38 people - my guess is that the data that comes out in 3 weeks will have it in the positive. My guess is also that areas like Englewood will see continued losses and places like Logan Square will see larger gains. I'm hoping a few of the light red spots here will turn into at least light blue in a few weeks.

Now, with that being said, there is a caveat. I had contacted the US Census many months ago because one census tract in the Loop was only estimated to have grown by 5 people even though there were new apartment complexes built there. If you compared against the 2010 ACS, it said the tract grew very well, but if you compared against the 2010 census, it was only 5 people. What they had told me is that you actually should NOT be comparing the decennial census to the American Community Survey. You should only compare ACS to ACS. They said they do not recalibrate their results to what the census says. I did anyway since it's the only data and I didn't want to use 2010 ACS, but they actually said you should not be doing it. So all of the publicans that are saying X city gained/lost Y people since 2010 - the Census actually does not agree with them even comparing, but they're pretty quiet about it.

Anyway, interesting nonetheless and I can't wait for the data to come out 3 weeks from now.
This is awesome, great work!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
I can't wait for December 10th - when you'll have all the data inputted into your maps
Haha, could be on December 8th if they have everything. I bet i'll have it on the 9th unless I'm very very busy

I actually have a lot more maps that are more interesting - education, income, etc. Just can't share them with anyone, but it shows some really awesome things like the education and income levels really expanding (increasing) on the south side in many areas since 1990. There's been a huge explosion of this stuff in the city since 1990.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Nothing too exciting, but a new 4 story with retail going up on Webster just west of Racine. I believe they guy who owns @ properties is behind this one.

I will be shocked and elated if they actually use laid brick and make that quoining and cornice.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 9:42 PM

Quote:

Looks good! Hopefully this actually happens!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 2:36 AM

1) El Cubano Meats building at 914 W Fulton Market sold on 10/21 for $14.55M. Crains reported in mid to late April they were looking to sell. Not terrible since they bought the building in 2000 for $1.55M

2) Art Deco church in East Village on Ashland (1056 N Ashland - Ashland and Thomas) got a building permit to make a 5 story addition to the existing church for 34 units and only 8 parking spaces.

Source from January: https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016...-church-facade

Last edited by marothisu; Nov 17, 2016 at 2:51 AM.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 2:50 AM
The City

^ Interesting and creative

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 5:31 AM

^^^ Fun fact:

The developer, architect, and contractor as well as all the neighbors assumed that the church in question was, well, a solid brick church. Once they started demolition it became apparent that the walls are actually super thick 2X8 frame with only a veneer of brick. This resulted in a total change of plans from a Steel frame supported facadectomy to a systematic rebuild of the wall from the inside replacing the old framing with CMU block.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 6:48 PM

Fulton West

Quick shot from the pink line:

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 9:45 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Interesting and creative
No doubt - that is wicked cool, to borrow some Boston phrasing.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 10:00 PM

Foundation work at 847 N. Larrabbee 10/31

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 6:37 AM
Chicago

9 W Erie - True Food Kitchen

November 17, 2016

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 6:38 AM
Chicago

Apple Store

November 17, 2016

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 1:00 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Chanel is leaving its first floor space on Michigan Ave at the Drake to a new, 2 story space on Oak st, across the street from Del Friscos.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 1:21 PM

So I'm a bit confused, but also happy, about this one. There's a building permit issued today for an 8 story hotel's foundatiion at 530 N LaSalle. That is the vacant lot just to the east of the Midas on the NW corner of LaSalle & Grand. I have no idea what this is (couldn't find it either). This is not the hotel at Hubbard & LaSalle (which is also taller). Current site

https://www.google.com/maps/place/la...fe85ae!6m1!1e1

Anyone remember anything about this one?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 2:44 PM
The City

^ Nice catch. I don't remember anything, but that's a huge improvement over a vacant lot. 8 stories is a bit short but some humanly scaled buildings downtown are not a bad thing

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Nice catch. I don't remember anything, but that's a huge improvement over a vacant lot. 8 stories is a bit short but some humanly scaled buildings downtown are not a bad thing
Yeah. I can't find anything about it. The owner listed is some LLC from Merrillville, IN with no results online and I can't find anything on the architect's website (I think it's DLR). 8 stories is not huge, but I think the city needs more buildings in that height in some areas. It's about the same or 1 story higher than the building right to the north of it so at least it might fit in with the scale.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Yeah. I can't find anything about it. The owner listed is some LLC from Merrillville, IN with no results online and I can't find anything on the architect's website (I think it's DLR). 8 stories is not huge, but I think the city needs more buildings in that height in some areas. It's about the same or 1 story higher than the building right to the north of it so at least it might fit in with the scale.
Interesting. White Lodging, a hotel development and management firm, is based in Merrillville, Indiana. I wonder if it is related.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 3:01 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
So I'm a bit confused, but also happy, about this one. There's a building permit issued today for an 8 story hotel's foundatiion at 530 N LaSalle. That is the vacant lot just to the east of the Midas on the NW corner of LaSalle & Grand. I have no idea what this is (couldn't find it either). This is not the hotel at Hubbard & LaSalle (which is also taller). Current site
Anyone remember anything about this one?
At one time the owner of Cafe Iberico had proposed a hotel at that site. I don't know if it's still that or something new. Given the small scale, it wouldn't surprise me if it was him resurrecting his hotel idea.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
Interesting. White Lodging, a hotel development and management firm, is based in Merrillville, Indiana. I wonder if it is related.
It's them. Nice catch. Just looked at the address and it matches up. They are the ones who run Aloft River North, Courtyard Mag Mile, Fairfield River North, etc. The company name on the permit is Choxy LLC - wonder if that has anything to do with the name of the hotel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
At one time the owner of Cafe Iberico had proposed a hotel at that site. I don't know if it's still that or something new. Given the small scale, it wouldn't surprise me if it was him resurrecting his hotel idea.
That's pretty interesting. Anywhere online with that? Had never heard it before.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development