HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 12, 2020, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
Maybe the recession will see a stadium for $20,000,000 or maybe the CFL will fold before the season start.
Not sure how TSN will survive. Not sure the EPL ,La Liga etc will survive.
All bets are off.
Uninformed negative conjectures like that get us nowhere. Yes, I've read the articles on the EPL problems, but what you will see before any traditional leagues folding (exclude XFL) is the player's unions accepting terms on sane salaries. Demanded transfer fees are already lessening.

I have discussed this with a few people and I still don't know the answer. Will people come back in droves because they miss it or will there be a new normal with separated seats, capacities lessened, and the like.

I tend to lean to less people but people have been violating distancing recommendations in parks and other places so who knows if sports will come back the way they were.

With its reasonable salaries (that were already covered by the TV contract) the CFL is reasonably placed to weather the storm.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2020, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Uninformed negative conjectures like that get us nowhere. Yes, I've read the articles on the EPL problems, but what you will see before any traditional leagues folding (exclude XFL) is the player's unions accepting terms on sane salaries. Demanded transfer fees are already lessening.

I have discussed this with a few people and I still don't know the answer. Will people come back in droves because they miss it or will there be a new normal with separated seats, capacities lessened, and the like.

I tend to lean to less people but people have been violating distancing recommendations in parks and other places so who knows if sports will come back the way they were.

With its reasonable salaries (that were already covered by the TV contract) the CFL is reasonably placed to weather the storm.
Nobody knows what is going to happen yet. This is uncharted territory. China said they are through it but now it looks like they are going to go through a second wave... or not.

I'm not going to pretend to know the financial situations the CFL and the various stadium owners, or whatever breaks the government may give them to keep them going, but it's not going to be the same world on the other side of this, not for awhile anyhow.

So your opinion and Colin's opinion both seem like viable outcomes to me - we just don't know which one, or if it will be something in the middle. Nobody has a crystal ball here.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2020, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
So your opinion and Colin's opinion both seem like viable outcomes to me - we just don't know which one, or if it will be something in the middle. Nobody has a crystal ball here.
Do you honestly believe the biggest sports leagues in the world will fail or more importantly be allowed to fail? Frankly I thought I was showing some restraint to Colin's usual negative trolling on this subject. I agree with you, it's gonna be a new world but if enterprises at that level are allowed to fail, without massive consultation and salary restructuring, then we've got way bigger issues than Covid19 and I don't mean just sports going in the tank.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2020, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Do you honestly believe the biggest sports leagues in the world will fail or more importantly be allowed to fail? Frankly I thought I was showing some restraint to Colin's usual negative trolling on this subject. I agree with you, it's gonna be a new world but if enterprises at that level are allowed to fail, without massive consultation and salary restructuring, then we've got way bigger issues than Covid19 and I don't mean just sports going in the tank.
In my opinion, no they are not going to be allowed to fail. But, I am not putting money down on anything at this point. And the above is just my opinion, only that.

We’ll see it when it happens. I hope you’re right.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2020, 10:14 PM

Quote:
In my opinion, no they are not going to be allowed to fail. But, I am not putting money down on anything at this point. And the above is just my opinion, only that.

We’ll see it when it happens. I hope you’re right.
So do I, because I am not looking forward to losing everything I've worked and saved for and going through a second Great Depression. And if businesses of that magnitude fail, I'd say that would be the road we are on. But as I said that's negative conjecture Chicken Little stuff that does ZERO to help. So it won't happen

Old Posted Apr 13, 2020, 1:23 PM

Yes, I agree it's best to stay positive!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2020, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Always the best option!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I don't know. If you always assume the worst, then you can only be pleasantly surprised.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2020, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-way-dude View Post
I don't know. If you always assume the worst, then you can only be pleasantly surprised.
An interesting take!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2020, 7:12 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
So do I, because I am not looking forward to losing everything I've worked and saved for and going through a second Great Depression. And if businesses of that magnitude fail, I'd say that would be the road we are on. But as I said that's negative conjecture Chicken Little stuff that does ZERO to help. So it won't happen
The Chicken Little predictions of March (there's no stopping this, 70% will get it, 1-5% will die) already haven't panned out in April. I am sure there will be challenges ahead but we don't know what will happen so there is no point in being defeatist.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2020, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The Chicken Little predictions of March (there's no stopping this, 70% will get it, 1-5% will die) already haven't panned out in April. I am sure there will be challenges ahead but we don't know what will happen so there is no point in being defeatist.
Which Chicken Little predictions are you referring to? And were they made before the current protocols were decided?

I don't see how we can escape long-term effects from this pandemic, both health and economy related, but yes, positivity will make it easier to get through, regardless.

Not to say that C-way's tack doesn't have merits...

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
there is no point in being defeatist.
Exactly, and getting back on topic, that's why I am so vehement when I see smoke and mirror posts, on this topic, with totally irrelevant information, trying to portray that building a (now 12k seat) stadium will bring about the fall of Western civilization.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 12:55 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Exactly, and getting back on topic, that's why I am so vehement when I see smoke and mirror posts, on this topic, with totally irrelevant information, trying to portray that building a (now 12k seat) stadium will bring about the fall of Western civilization.
12,000 seats??? That's barely larger than the Moncton Stadium (10,000 seats)!!!

Halifax can do better than that.......

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
12,000 seats??? That's barely larger than the Moncton Stadium (10,000 seats)!!!

Halifax can do better than that.......
The last news I had heard was 12k with an additional 10k on the opposite side paid for by the Schooners. It's been so long since there was news I could be outta the loop.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 5:18 AM

If I remember correctly the overall intent seemed to be "a CFL-ready stadium" but things were worded carefully in order to dilineate who was responsible for what. So yes I believe it was something like ~12k publicly-funded seats + however many additional seats would be required by the CFL (total was somewhere in the 20,000-25,000 range), to be funded by the ownership group.

It's been a while since I paid attention to this, to be honest.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 2:33 PM

During the 9AM hour of the Rick Howe Show on News 95.7 this morning, Councillors Sean Clearly and Paul Russell were asked about the one time $20M contribution to SSE and whether or not that is still on the table given the city's current financial situation due to COVID. They said that 'anything is on the table' and that they have not had any updates from SSE recently and are not sure if they have acquired a piece of land outside of Shannon Park.

What a shame this would be to finally be so close to having a stadium to see the plan go up in flames because of the pandemic. Still too early to say what will happen but it certainly doesn't feel as much as a sure thing as it felt back in December.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 7:02 PM
ハルウララ

LeBlanc today joined the Senators front office as Business Ops...

https://www.nhl.com/senators/news/ot...ns/c-316669976

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 7:31 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post

Good grief. Can nothing good happen for the Senators?

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtown View Post
What a shame this would be to finally be so close to having a stadium to see the plan go up in flames because of the pandemic. Still too early to say what will happen but it certainly doesn't feel as much as a sure thing as it felt back in December.
Personally, I think the Corona will have been a blessing in disguise for the Schooners. This process does not need to be hurried and as we saw with the XFL re Covid-19, there will be a new normal and period of readjustment but too late for the XFL. This, obviously, is no time to start a new franchise. I'm patient, I can wait, two more years at the very least to get their ducks in a row. Maybe with LeBlanc gone, the thing might be toast. I'd rather have the thing never get going than pull an XFL.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post

According to TSN, SSE remains committed to establishing a Halifax CFL franchise, and LeBlanc will remain with SSE in a reduced role. Gary Drummond will now be the frontman for SSE.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment