HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
As long as the criminal is punished appropriately, meaning long term sentence. None of this really matters much.
hasn't stopped essentially every local media outlet from using the story to fan racial tensions for clicks/views

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 8:01 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
hasn't stopped essentially every local media outlet from using the story to fan racial tensions for clicks/views
Recommended book for anyone interested in this phenomenon:

Fortress America: How We Embraced Fear and Abandoned Democracy

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
Crime sells, but I haven't really noticed much about this story in the news.

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 9:13 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 9:21 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockerzzz View Post
The Rahmwalk? Emanuel strengthens case to have Riverwalk named after him

Link
Ugh, how about not. The Riverwalk was/is frankly a "duh" why hasn't this been done long before civic space.

I'd like our society to leave behind the naming of civic spaces/monuments after politicians, Generals, Politicians, or even wealthy philanthropist.
Name them after true war heroes, human rights advocates/practitioners, o notable scientist/engineers/researchers/Doctors.

....Maybe we can name the weird weather pole on the walk after Rahm.

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Ugh, how about not. The Riverwalk was/is frankly a "duh" why hasn't this been done long before civic space.

I'd like our society to leave behind the naming of civic spaces/monuments after politicians, Generals, Politicians, or even wealthy philanthropist.
Name them after true war heroes, human rights advocates/practitioners, o notable scientist/engineers/researchers/Doctors.

....Maybe we can name the weird weather pole on the walk after Rahm.
What? The Chicago Rahmenade doesn't appeal?

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Lol!! Trump is such a lying piece of shit!

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 4:32 PM
The City

Congrats, Chicago, you have a new Mayor!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 5:02 PM

Bye bye aldermanic perogative!

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 5:55 PM
The City

Hello new council wars?

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Hello new council wars?
Not if the feds charge Ed Burke and other aldermen by their June 7th deadline

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 6:54 PM

Here's also the executive order Lightfoot just signed to end aldermanic prerogative: https://www.scribd.com/document/4108...-5-20-19-FINAL

Quote:
3. Reform Aldermanic Prerogative

a. As soon as practicable, no department shall defer to aldermanic prerogative in their decision-making practice unless expressly required by the Municipal Code of Chicago. Each department shall update any and all department procedures, practices, and materials to reflect this change no later than 60 days following this Order. Each department shall submit a report describing these changes, as provided in Section 4.c. Nothing in this Order affects department decisions that took effect prior to the date of this Order.

b. Nothing in this Order shall be construed to prevent aldermen from submitting input to departments regarding decision-making.

c. When engaged in decision-making, departments shall consider aldermanic input as an important source of information, but shall not be bound by that input or by any attempt by an alderman to otherwise exercise aldermanic prerogative over decision-making.

d. Whenever a department receives input from an alderman in a decision-making practice that does not require deference to aldermanic prerogative as a matter of law, any such input must be memorialized in writing.
It looks like aldermen still have power in zoning, but won't have the power to block other zoning changes in their ward.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Here's also the executive order Lightfoot just signed to end aldermanic prerogative: https://www.scribd.com/document/4108...-5-20-19-FINAL

It looks like aldermen still have power in zoning, but won't have the power to block other zoning changes in their ward.
Which is fine because, in theory, Lightfoot will push through some kind of zoning reform legislatively.

Lightfoot more or less had her way loading all the committee chairs with allies, even throwing out multiple incumbant chairs for a variety of reasons ranging from nepotistic hiring practices to having the gall to have been on stage with Bobby Rush during one of his race baiting rants against Lightfoot. Quite hilarious all in all:

Quote:
Lightfoot shakes up the City Council
Longtime Budget Chairman Carrie Austin (34th) offered a new committee. Transportation Committee Chairman Anthony Beale (9th) gets nothing.

By Fran Spielman on May 17, 2019 12:49 pm

Mayor-elect Lori Lightfoot has chosen a rainbow team to lead the City Council that includes Ald. Scott Waguespack (32nd) as Finance Committee chairman, Ald. Pat Dowell (3rd) as budget chairman, Tom Tunney (44th) as zoning chairman and Gilbert Villegas (36th) as floor leader and economic development chair.

Sources said longtime Budget Committee Chairman Carrie Austin (34th) was notified of her ouster during a personal phone call with Lightfoot that included a discussion of her hiring practices.

On Friday, Austin acknowledged having hired relatives on her committee payroll to serve as interns but made no apologies for it.

She has reportedly been offered the chairmanship of a new Committee on Contracting Oversight and Equity as a consolation prize.

The political version of musical chairs leaves Transportation Committee Chairman Anthony Beale (9th) without a seat at all.

Despite 20 years of seniority, Beale has been dumped as committee chairman, apparently for having the temerity to warn Lightfoot that, if she insisted on pushing Waguespack, whom Beale claimed doesn’t “play well with others,” she might be picking a fight with the new City Council that she cannot win.

Beale refused to comment on Lightfoot’s decision to dump him. Ald. Howard Brookins (21st) is Lighfoot’s choice to replace him as transportation chairman.

The always outspoken Austin said she was “hurt” that her offer to be as loyal to Lightfoot as she was to Mayor Rahm Emanuel and former Mayor Richard M. Daley was apparently disregarded.

“Anthony’s not getting anything [either]. He’s got seniority. So, she don’t care about seniority. It doesn’t appear that way if he’s not getting anything,” Austin said.

Austin supported Toni Preckwinkle in the mayoral runoff April 2. She was on the stage at the Harold Washington Cultural Center when Congressman Bobby Rush warned during a March 22 campaign rally for Preckwinkle that the “blood of the next young black man or black woman” killed by police would be on the hands of Lightfoot supporters if the former police board president was elected mayor.

Earlier this week, Lightfoot said there was a “group shot of that stage” and that Austin is “in it — as are a number of other people. They’re gonna have to give account for their behavior.”

On Friday, Austin fired back.

“How do you hold another person accountable for what someone else said? You can’t. I didn’t say it. How come I’ve got to be the one doing the denouncing? I think I did. I think I said that was despicable,” Austin said.

“What am I supposed to do — stand up on the stage and say that? No, I do not. I’m not gonna allow somebody to hold me accountable for what somebody else says. That would be like her telling me that I’m accountable for what Trump says. Can I say the same thing about her — that she’s a Republican?”

During a news conference Friday to unveil her transition report, Lightfoot was asked whether seniority was a factor in her City Council lineup.

“Yes and no,” she said with a smile, in a remark that turned out to be an understatement.

Going forward, she promised to be “much more transparent about committee budgets, who the employees are, what their actual roles and responsibilities are.”

“What I’ve said to every committee chair that we’ve identified is there will no longer be nepotism. You will no longer be hiring your friends and relatives and supervising them and putting them on the city payroll,” she said.

If Austin accepts the new committee, nine of eighteen committee chairmanships would go to African Americans. Whites get seven chairmanships as well as vice-mayor (Tunney) and president pro tem (Ald. Brendan Reilly (42nd). Hispanics get two chairmanships and floor leader.

In addition to Dowell and Brookins, that includes Ald. Michael Scott (24th) as education chairman, Ald. Roderick Sawyer as chairman of a Committee on Health and Human Services. Ald. Chris Taliaferro (29th), a former Chicago police officer, will replace veteran Ald. Ariel Reboyras (30th), as public safety chairman.

Black aldermen retaining chairmanships include: Rules Committee Chairman Michelle Harris (8th); Traffic Committee Chairman Walter Burnett (27th); and License Committee Chairman Emma Mitts (37th).

The Committee on Workforce Development, previously chaired by Emanuel’s floor leader, will go to Ald. Susan Sadlowski-Garza (10th). Aviation Committee Chairman Matt O’Shea (19th), who delivered the biggest vote total in the city for Lightfoot, will be retained. Ald. Nick Sposato (38th), who also provided a key endorsement, will chair the Special Events Committee while Ald. Harry Osterman (48th) gets the Housing chair.

Villegas, entering just his second term, is a surprise choice to marshal the votes for Lightfoot in a City Council that will be asked to approve a budget certain to include yet another round of painful tax increases and spending cuts.

But he argued he has built relationships with his fellow aldermen that position him well for the difficult task.

“As long as she keeps an open line of communication, it’s attainable,” Villegas told the Chicago Sun-Times. “But it’s gonna be about trust and the council and the mayor feeling each other out.”

The decision to reward Waguespack with the finance chairmanship that was Ald. Edward Burke’s primary power base for decades is not a surprise.

Earlier this week, Lightfoot described Waguespack as “able, smart” and “the kind of person that we want as a public servant.”

She also expressed absolute confidence she would have a “good working majority” in the City Council that will be able to deliver her handpicked lineup whether or not Waguespack is voted Mr. Congeniality.

“He’s the only one of the aldermen who actually supported me before Feb. 26, and I’m not gonna forget that,” Lightfoot said then.

“It is worth something because he showed courage. He got a huge amount of pressure and blowback — not only from aldermanic colleagues, but also from powerful union interests. But he stood up and did what he thought was right and, of course, I’m always gonna be grateful for his loyalty.”

https://chicago-suntimes-com.cdn.amp...tee-leadership
I love this woman, kicking ass and taking names.

You are an unabashed nepotist? You're done.

Caught race baiting with Bobby Rush? Goodbye.

Threatening to start new council wars? You're out.

Bad behavior will not be tolerated, this is exactly how the mayor plays politics in Chicago, just this time the power is being wielded on it's creators. Corruption being struck down with it's own sword, let's hope she keeps them on the run and continues to consolidate her power so she can really force through reform.

Last edited by LouisVanDerWright; May 21, 2019 at 8:20 PM.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 9:11 PM

^Yeah. . . this is going to be just as entertaining as it will be rewarding for the city of Chicago. . .

. . .

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 5:09 PM

it'll be the ahmads and Barbara byrd-bennetts that will still be a problem. Can't be everywhere at once

and that sounds like a simple solution to overemphasis on aldermanic privilege but time will tell

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 6:16 PM

So happy Ald Beale is out if a chairmanship. The guy is a total shill for the dinosaur cab industry and connected interests in the transportation industry. He’s constantly lying about ride share operations in Chicago and trying to place additional restrictions on them to serve his connected interests and has actively worked to ban driverless vehicles from operating within city limits. He was also opposed to the dockless bike pilot program on the far south side. Definitely not an open minded individual who embraces technology’s ability to change and improve mobility options which doesn’t involve personal car ownership.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
All this does is change how City departments, like Planning and Development, treat Aldermen. As it is, there are official forms that ask whether the relevant Alderman has approved the project (even though there's no law saying that's necessary). Lightfoot's order simply says that Planning shouldn't dismiss the project if the Alderman's approval isn't there.

But that's not where aldermanic privilege really operates. It operates in City Council. And you can't change a long-standing tradition by fiat. Planning can send a project to City Council and it will still get rejected if the relevant alderman says so.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 6:26 PM
The City

^ The only way you get rid of that is to allow zoning changes without requiring a City Council vote

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ The only way you get rid of that is to allow zoning changes without requiring a City Council vote
Which she has already stated is her plan. She aims to create express zoning for projects that tick certain boxes. Not sure whether she will go for a reform of the entire code which is really what's needed.

At the end of the day it is correct that the city council will have to approve her proposed reforms. That's why it's important she capitalize on her mandate now and move quickly while she has the momentum.

Her executive order probably eliminates half of perogative, the rest requires legislative work.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 2:06 AM
The City

I’m also hoping they move on the proposal to allow more accessory apartments (basements, attics, etc).

Without acquiring any new property, I can already potentially build 3 coach houses and create a few new basement apartments within the buildings I own

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest