HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 5:00 PM

I’m pretty sure the lights are already installed, you can see them in photos that show the ceiling of the canyon.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 7:15 PM

I agree. Though, I'm pretty sure we are not getting colored lighting.

https://gordonhuether.com/slc-the-canyon/

Anybody care to confirm with the artist? I'm having technical difficulties.
https://gordonhuether.com/contact/

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I agree. Though, I'm pretty sure we are not getting colored lighting.

https://gordonhuether.com/slc-the-canyon/

Anybody care to confirm with the artist? I'm having technical difficulties.
https://gordonhuether.com/contact/
That page shows multiple renderings of colored lighting

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 8:35 PM

Look at the very first picture in the link. You can see light fixtures installed in the ceiling that are very clearly for colored lighting. They don’t appear in the initial renderings where they hadn’t yet decided to use the lighting, however they do appear in the actual structure.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
Has anything else been said about the proposal to demo the whole old airport at once and complete the East side of the new airport in 2 years. I really hope that happens. Perhaps they could even use the savings to just go ahead and complete concourse B instead of expanding it in 5-10... just get it all done.
- So last month the airport decommissioned the west gates of concourse D (5 gates) to get a jump start on airfield paving and to accelerate the completion of Phase 1 of the north concourse (concourse B). Concourse B should be ready one month after the main terminal and concourse A open.
- The airport is now operation with 49 active gates.
- It is posable that concourse D and the international terminal will be closed with an interior salvage operation going on before opening day.
- On opening day the only exiting buildings being used will be Concourses C, F, and G and the temporary connecting walkway.
- Opening day the airport will be operating at 68 gates with 25 of them on the new concourse A.
- In October the remaining concourses will be decommissioned, and salvage operations should be done in a month before they demo all existing facilities/concourses at once, beginning 11/1/20.
- By December the public will be accessing only new airport facilities and the airport will be operating at 61 gates for the next 3 years of the project. Concourse A will have 25 gates, B will have 20 gates and the Hardstand (HS) will have 16 gates.
- The hardstand will operate out of concourse B and the HS aircraft positions will go away as new gates on concourses B and A (East Side) open in stages over the next 3 + years.
- The first 7 new gates to open on concourse A (east side) will be in November of 2023 or almost 3 + years after opening day.
- By September of 2024 all of concourse A gates (47) will be open (A West at 25 and A East at 22) and Concourse B Phase 1 at 23 gates to give the airport 70 gates.
- All the building work should be complete by this time but airfield paving could continue for 12 + more months.
- Phase 2 of concourse B will be an ongoing evaluation throughout the project to see if those gates (8 more) will be needed. Phase 2 was always planned to happen but after the covid-19 downturn it is a wait and see what the market needs.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 9:59 PM
Engineer

I think it's unmistakeably clear from this February image that the canyon will be lit with colored lights, also sorry I don't know how to adjust the size for an image that I haven't uploaded to an image hosting site (and from previous experience with this outdated website I don't think it can be done):

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 5:47 AM

*deleted

Last edited by Old&New; Jun 19, 2020 at 6:01 AM.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 5:58 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Does anyone know what the plan for the trax station is? I assume that it is being relocated. Does anyone know where it will be and when? Is it staying where it is for phase one? I assume people will no longer be entering the airport through the old terminals even though they will still be using some of the concourses during phase 2 construction. That would put the trax station kind of far away from the new terminal entrance.

I drive by there once in a while and havnt really noticed anything happening with trax... at least that I can see. So I was curious about this.

I’m glad I got to take one last trip through the old airport in feb. I’m excited to see the new one.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know what the plan for the trax station is?
My understanding is that it will be located south of the new terminal building on the ground level so very similar setup to the current trax station but in the new location. As for timeline, the current roadway is blocking where it will go so for at least 6 months, there will be a bus bridge connecting people to the train. I haven't heard anything recently on it.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 5:39 PM
The Drifter

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/...36067089149952

Short on time, as I am heading out of town to get away from the city so no image linked. This is a tweet saying Boeing will be ramping down the 747 line and will be ending it.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 5:44 PM

That's sad but not surprising. I think they were down to producing 4/year. Almost all airlines have retired them.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 6:44 PM

Re timing of the TRAX station relocation, the airport tweeted this out last month:

Quote:
The Trax station will be relocated to The New SLC Terminal about 6 to 8 months after opening day. In the mean time, passengers will take Trax to the end of the airport line and shuttles will drop them off at the Terminal.
Also, due to decreased traffic at the airport, they won't be using the old terminals and concourses after opening, but instead will demolish them and use a hard stand process if capacity is needed beyond the new gates. Coronavirus may help Salt Lake airport finish expansion 2 years early and save $300M

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know what the plan for the trax station is? I assume that it is being relocated. Does anyone know where it will be and when? Is it staying where it is for phase one? I assume people will no longer be entering the airport through the old terminals even though they will still be using some of the concourses during phase 2 construction. That would put the trax station kind of far away from the new terminal entrance.

I drive by there once in a while and havnt really noticed anything happening with trax... at least that I can see. So I was curious about this.

I’m glad I got to take one last trip through the old airport in feb. I’m excited to see the new one.
Back in May, KSL's Alex Cabrero captured some photos of the the station under construction: https://twitter.com/KSL_AlexCabrero/...276226/photo/3

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 4:51 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by joscar View Post
Back in May, KSL's Alex Cabrero captured some photos of the the station under construction: https://twitter.com/KSL_AlexCabrero/...276226/photo/3
Hmmm. Looks like his photos have been removed. I wonder if it’s the thing on the lower level in the middle of the road in front of the new entrance.

I got a thing in the mail yesterday about a public meeting about the new airport master plan changes or something.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 9:44 AM

Quote:
I got a thing in the mail yesterday about a public meeting about the new airport master plan changes or something.
Here is a link to the site for this: https://slcairport.com/about-the-airport/master-plan/

It looks like its going to be on Thursday, July 9 from 12:00pm to 1:30pm.

The site I linked also says:
Quote:
The Salt Lake City Department of Airports is updating the Airport Master Plan. The Master Plan will establish a 20-year development vision for the airport as well as a recommended course of action that details how the airport can continue to meet future aviation transportation needs.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 9:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joscar View Post
Here is the photos from the tweet.
Alex Cabrero Tweet Quote
Quote:
Could the new @slcairport be done sooner and cheaper? The airport executive director thinks so. All because of coronavirus and less passengers/traffic. @KSL5TV at 6. #ksltv

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 7:11 PM

Recently, while looking at some of the pictures showing the north side of the south concourse, I noted that gate A19's passenger boarding bridge makes a sharp 90 degree right turn, then a more than 90 degree left turn (if you were waking through it toward the plane). It seemed out of place as the other passenger boarding bridges don't have an awkward angle in them near their connection point to the terminal.

I noted one other bridge with a similar configuration (can't find it right now, but think it was on the north concourse). Was this done due to structural elements in the terminal such that they couldn't make the attachment point further east, was it really designed that way for the beginning (and why), or is it something that needed some adjustments and the easiest way was to make that sharp bend in the bridge?

I know its a minor thing to most considering the scale of this project. But just something that I was curious about how it came to be in the configuration that it is in. Just seemed a bit unnecessary if they could have moved the connection point of the bridge eastward a bit.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 7:18 PM

Gate B17 has a similar setup, though it isn't an almost immediate right and then left turn - the length inbetween is longer, and is due to the roof from a part of level 1 that stick out from the terminal. Can't see anything obvious for gate A19 though. Just looks odd when the other bridges don't have the initial right/left bends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruefenac View Post
Recently, while looking at some of the pictures showing the north side of the south concourse, I noted that gate A19's passenger boarding bridge makes a sharp 90 degree right turn, then a more than 90 degree left turn (if you were waking through it toward the plane). It seemed out of place as the other passenger boarding bridges don't have an awkward angle in them near their connection point to the terminal.

I noted one other bridge with a similar configuration (can't find it right now, but think it was on the north concourse). Was this done due to structural elements in the terminal such that they couldn't make the attachment point further east, was it really designed that way for the beginning (and why), or is it something that needed some adjustments and the easiest way was to make that sharp bend in the bridge?

I know its a minor thing to most considering the scale of this project. But just something that I was curious about how it came to be in the configuration that it is in. Just seemed a bit unnecessary if they could have moved the connection point of the bridge eastward a bit.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 6:12 AM

The first of seven massive projects by artist Gordon Huether at Salt Lake International is complete

https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-...al-is-complete

The Falls' at Salt Lake International designed by artist Gordon Huether

SALT LAKE CITY — The Salt Lake City International Airport has announced the completion of the first of seven art installations by national public artist, Gordon Huether.

The airport is undergoing a $4.1 billion Airport Redevelopment Program designed to address the airport’s operational needs, seismic requirements and security standards while creating one of the world’s most modern and distinctive airports.

The visual aesthetic of the new main terminal will play a prominent role in the final outcome of the airport’s new design.

The first of Huether’s seven structurally significant installations, “The Falls” has recently completed installation.

Comprised of roughly 300 dichroic glass panels, and 220 hand drawn glass and Pyrex rods, this 65-foot-tall suspended sculpture cascades down the escalator well at the entrance to the new main terminal and makes use of the natural light this location receives from the terminal’s glass facade to create an astonishing array of ever-changing colors and patterns on adjacent surfaces. The installation is inspired by Utah’s natural beauty and is meant to resemble the waterfalls dispersed among the state’s canyon landscape.

The entire suspended sculpture weighs a staggering 5,000 pounds and is attached to the terminal ceiling with spring boots to help retain tension on the cables during the winter months when the roof bends under the weight of up to four feet of snow.

'The Falls' at Salt Lake International designed by artist Gordon Huether

Huether’s largest art feature at The New SLC airport, titled “The Canyon”, is nearing completion as well. This art installation features over 500 individual tensile membrane fins attached to the walls of the new main terminal, of which roughly 50% have been placed. The Northwest wall is complete, with the Southern and Northeastern walls remaining.

'The Canyon' at Salt Lake International designed by artist Gordon Huether

The first of four architecturally integrated Column Plates, located in a gathering area for both arriving and departing passengers in The New SLC terminal, has been installed.

At 18 feet high and 17 feet at their widest point, these massive structures help to create a visual distinction for the various activities taking place in the open space. Echoing the sculptural theme of The Canyon walls, the columns provide visual interest and will function as seating as well as sculptural elements.

'Column Plates' at Salt Lake International designed by artist Gordon Huether

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; Jul 15, 2020 at 9:16 AM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruefenac View Post

Yes it's mainly because of a structural element from the concourse . The place where you would think the door should be is where a seismic joint for the concourse is located. Also the reason why it is shifted to the west as opposed to the east is because of the roadway that goes underneath the concourse in that location and for better spacing out the sections of the sterile corridor.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West