HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Feb 23, 2009, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnightingale View Post
I read in the paper that the city told them the could close the roads under it for two weekends, and they will be working 24 hours a day for both weekends.
I don't know how this is possible. Aren't we always told that the reason any road project around here takes forever and disrupts traffic so badly is because it isn't practical to work multiple shifts and overnight because it's too expensive and there aren't any workers willing to do so?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2009, 9:15 PM
we built this city

Its the Bridge Commission doing the work, not the city... maybe they should do the road work too.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2009, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Its the Bridge Commission doing the work, not the city... maybe they should do the road work too.
I don't think that would be good... the HDBC was responsible for the work on the Victoria Rd/Circ interchange this fall and it still isn't finished. Just an atrocious piece of work too, the new pavement is worse than what was there.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2009, 2:03 AM

Quote:
The closures are required to allow for the safe removal of Structure 9 (also known as the old K-ramp) from the Halifax side of the MacKay Bridge.

[/I]
Ha. Does anyone else think this sounds straight out of a Kafka novel? A bridge with no purpose named "Structure 9/K-ramp"... official self-referential announcements from the "Commission", followed by closures to "remove" the bridge with no purpose, that curiously, DON'T remove the bridge with no purpose..

Old Posted Feb 24, 2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P.
I don't know how this is possible. Aren't we always told that the reason any road project around here takes forever and disrupts traffic so badly is because it isn't practical to work multiple shifts and overnight because it's too expensive and there aren't any workers willing to do so?
Something tells me that if the city was doing the work, it would take a hell of a lot longer than two weekends. The city told them they didn't have a choice in the matter, they only had two weekends. And what do they care, they aren't spending their money, it's the bridge commission's money. If only there were someone who had the power to tell the city that there was a time limit on their public works projects.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
Ha. Does anyone else think this sounds straight out of a Kafka novel? A bridge with no purpose named "Structure 9/K-ramp"... official self-referential announcements from the "Commission", followed by closures to "remove" the bridge with no purpose, that curiously, DON'T remove the bridge with no purpose..
Aha. The decommissioning of Structure Nine.
K-Ramp reminds me of K-Mart.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Something tells me that if the city was doing the work, it would take a hell of a lot longer than two weekends. The city told them they didn't have a choice in the matter, they only had two weekends. And what do they care, they aren't spending their money, it's the bridge commission's money. If only there were someone who had the power to tell the city that there was a time limit on their public works projects.
Yah really. The city IS the slowest at construction.

Any bets on how long it will take the city to repair the Fairview Overpass (it defenitely won't be two weekends)?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Yah really. The city IS the slowest at construction.

Any bets on how long it will take the city to repair the Fairview Overpass (it defenitely won't be two weekends)?
The Fairview Overpass is a provincial govt project, which means it will take at least as long to build as a HRM project and will be done in a totally half-assed manner.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
The Fairview Overpass is a provincial govt project, which means it will take at least as long to build as a HRM project and will be done in a totally half-assed manner.
Its provincial? Well I'll be...

I beg to differ though. Last summer the province replaced the concrete barriers on Magazine Hill (many kms long) and it only took them a week.

Meanwhile last year the widening of Hammonds Plains took something like 6 months and they only worked during rush-hour!

They might take the same amount of time but the city is worse because they don't work at convenient times (night-time & weekends) like the province does.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 12:25 AM

I don't really see how a project would take any longer because it is city or provincial, when it all comes down to it they pick from the same pool of contractors, most likely Dexter construction, Ocean or one of the other big name ones around here. Its not like the city hires their own workers or the province hires there own workers. The thing that takes time is planning and approval, and personally I would be more comfortable driving under or over something that was designed properly rather than in a rush.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
Interesting. I did a search on The Villa on Agricola and came up with this kijiji ad..

It seems they are being marketed as "Artists Studios with Gallery" if so this could be a pretty cool building.
I was by this today and while it looked okay compared to its neighbours they are putting in some ugly brownish-grey blocks on the ground level.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 2:48 AM

Apparently Gerard Hall will be getting a face lift in the near future, probably something similar to what is happening to the VG on south or the science building at SMU.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 5:46 PM

Nice one. That area's gonna look pretty good once the SGR/Queen lots are filled in and the Trillium is built, Gerard Hall as it stands is one of the few real eyesores in the area (apart from the parking lots). I wonder if Fenwick will ever get an upgrade once it's sold?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
Gerard Hall
Every time I hear Gerard Hall mentioned, I instantly think of the Monty Python sketch, Italian for Italians, in which they - in very poor Italian accents, try to pronounce the name Gerrards Cross, an English village.
Sorry, kinda off topic..

Old Posted Mar 7, 2009, 4:39 AM

Burnside New March 2009 tidbits:

• Councillor Jim Smith is working on a proposal for the creation of a new youth centre for District Nine. The project is still at the preliminary stages, but one of the funding options being considered is an area rate. That means the city tax bill to every citizen and business in the district – which includes all of Burnside – would see a slight increase to generate the needed funds. Smith says if the project goes ahead and an area rate is implemented, it would likely result in a yearly area rate of one cent or less over the district. This amounts to a business assessed at say $1 million paying $100 or less toward the youth centre. The average home would pay $13.00.

• Two of the main roads in the Atlantic Gateway Halifax Logistics Park, Wilkinson and Burbridge Avenues, are now accessible from the Wright Avenue Extension. The concrete barriers that were blocking the way have been removed.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2009, 4:09 PM

Not sure if this has been mentioned before...On the Waterfront Development Corporation Ltd. website...under latest news...go to "Cable Wharf update"...it talks about some changes to the cable wharf and to Murphy's...mentions an expanded resturant area, redisigned walkway around building (which I used to like to sit on in the summer and enjoy a nice cigerette Mmmmm) and other changes...including exciting interprative sinage....Ohhh and it's gonna be painted a new colar....sweet

Old Posted Mar 8, 2009, 5:20 PM

I haven't seen the website, but they have been working all winter long now. All new windows have been installed, they are extending the second floor now, and half the building has been resided with a red siding.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2009, 5:50 PM

I looked on the WDCL's website and it looks like its going to be a nice improvement.

Cable Wharf Update

One thing "Barrington_South" forgot to mention was Murphy's is now going to be open all year around effective this spring.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2009, 5:53 PM

On another note I found this on the WDCL's website relating to the Bedford Harbourwalk;

Bedford Harbourwalk Trail Extension

The Bedford Harbourwalk Trail is growing. Residents and visitors are seeing work underway in the Mill Cove area to extend the well-used trail, which will include new landscaping and visual elements.

WDCL is building up the corridor along the access road, from just beyond the end of Waterfront Drive, around to the parking lot at the South Jetty and Boat Ramp.

This boardwalk extension project is being done in two phases.

Phase I of the project included building up this area by 1 or 2 metres from the edge of the road to the existing rock slope along the shoreline, and includes extending two sections out further into the cove. Although the roadway will not be built up any higher at this point, the elevation of the new material being placed will match the elevation of the future serviced roadway.

Over the coming weeks, weather permitting, crusher dust will be added allowing the public to access a temporary trail over the winter.

Design work for the detailed Phase 2 landscape plan will also take place over the winter. The finished landscaping, which will include curb along the boardwalk, pavers, benches, viewing areas, topsoil and vegetation, begins this spring to be completed by the summer of 2009.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2009, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
and half the building has been resided with a red siding.
I think red is a good choice of color....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth