HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Hamilton Photos

Old Posted Dec 24, 2015, 6:51 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

3-D scan at last!

(I swear I was just on google maps and it wasn't showing up as 3-D though...)

A for walkability, Hamilton is an easier city to fix than some. Just lower speed limits a little and widen some sidewalks and you're there. Apart from places where geography is an issue there's no real serious problems (no 10 lanes streets and parkways cutting the city up).

Old Posted Dec 24, 2015, 8:12 PM

I wasn't referring to walkability, but that is definitely important. What I meant was that you're only viewing the city skyline maybe 5% of the time, if you're going up or down the mountain or down the 403. 95% of the time you're viewing the city looking up from the streets, so I care more about how these buildings look when I'm looking up at them.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2015, 5:31 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
I think unless the city was design for walking, and cycling as primary, and driving as secondary modes of transport people tend to be less hostile towards Pedestrians. Unfortunately (in my eyes anyway) Hamilton has not been built as being pedestrian friendly. I've seen some cities that where once very hostile toward pedestrians now are actually turning around to becoming more walking, and cycling friendly. I don't think Hamilton could, or would make the same changes these cities are making, and have made. I've seen a lot of development going on in Canada with a lot of European influences within the last 5-10 years. (Europe being for the most part very pedestrian, and cyclist friendly)
There's no stopping the city from "could". The "would" is the relevant question re: current city council (which may just surprise us all... I like how Green and Johnson have been strong voices, and how Bürgermeister Eisenburger has been a calm consistent force... even Terry's Hair seems to have seen the light re: a safer mountain access for cyclists)

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 4:44 PM

Out of interest, what are all the proposals for future 30-storey buildings? If all these get built, there should e a few skyline gaps filled in nicely.
-TV City X 2
-Liuna at Hughson St X 2
-Spalacci on John and St Joseph X 3
-Corktown plaza X 2
-Connaught
-71 Rebecca
-George St

I count 7 projects totalling 12 towers. Any others I'm missing (Stinson ones don't count of course)?
If all 12 30-storey towers are built, that will more than double the number of 30-storeys in Hamilton wouldn't it?

Last edited by johnnyhamont; May 28, 2018 at 5:20 PM. Reason: added the final question

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyhamont View Post
Out of interest, what are all the proposals for future 30-storey buildings? If all these get built, there should e a few skyline gaps filled in nicely.
-TV City X 2
-Liuna at Hughson St X 2
-Corktown plaza X 2
-Connaught
-71 Rebecca
-George St

I count 7 projects totalling 12 towers. Any others I'm missing (Stinson ones don't count of course)?
If all 12 30-story towers are built, that will more than double the number of 30-storoeys in Hamilton wouldn't it?
We could potentially have to worse skyline consisting of a slew of uniform, 30 storey slabs across the downtown.

Get rid of the 30 storey limit, and have appropriate criteria for the street/neighbourhood. Some may include more than 30, and some less.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 9:04 PM

The waiting is the hardest part. Don't forget Vranich and Mac superblock - King Bay George Caroline.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 6:48 PM

I merged a couple renderings of Métro City Condos and Corktown Commons to see what those 5 towers would look like all together...

Original Photos:

Old Posted Oct 7, 2018, 12:35 AM

^^^^^^ love the renders, well done

Old Posted Oct 7, 2018, 2:57 PM

thanks

Old Posted Oct 7, 2018, 5:26 PM

Great work! I believe from that vantage point 22 George will also be visible at 32 stories just behind Regency. Platinum Condos may also make an appearance from this angle.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 3:10 PM

awesome work....this is Hamilton's grow-up moment...sadly we have the wrong folks at city hall. Still. But expect some hard-fought court cases in the hopes of these types of needed projects proceeding. From this angle you'd also see whatever ends up getting built on the Connolly site, and TV City.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyhamont View Post
-TV City X 2
-Liuna at Hughson St X 2
-Corktown plaza X 2
-Connaught
-71 Rebecca
-George St

If all 12 30-storey towers are built, that will more than double the number of 30-storeys in Hamilton wouldn't it?
Update, now that Corktown and 71 Rebecca proposals have gone kaput, John and St Josephs will be in the 20-25 storey range, and George St is (more-or-less) completed:

-TV City X 2
-Liuna at Hughson St X 2
-Connaught
-Mac at King and Bay
-Connolly
-Vranich at King and Caroline
-John and Wilson x 3
-CityCentre (5x28 storeys??)

That makes 16 new 30-ish-storey towers. Anyone got skyline renders that incorporate some or all of these?

Last edited by johnnyhamont; Feb 1, 2020 at 10:41 PM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 3:33 PM
Ham-burgher

I posted this in a different thread but it should probably go here.

Our skyline, circa Dec 2000, from a Spec175 reflection on amalgamation. Looks like it was taken from the escarpment edge along Hwy 8, where it bends north toward Greensville.

I figure this will be a good comparator... even today there are several towers that have altered the look. There wasn't much change visible from afar before The Regency went up 5 years ago.

Source

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 5:19 PM

Hamilton’s skyline went basically unchanged from the 80’s till only a few years ago. It’s almost odd how the skyline hasn’t been covered in glass condos yet, to the point where glass condos are almost welcomed as providing variety over today.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 12:57 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Hamilton’s skyline went basically unchanged from the 80’s till only a few years ago. It’s almost odd how the skyline hasn’t been covered in glass condos yet, to the point where glass condos are almost welcomed as providing variety over today.
And early 1980s at that. The last "major" addition before the current wave of tower construction was probably Ellen Fairclough; the Commerce Place twins came later but didn't make the same kind of impact, as they were either hidden behind EF from the west or backed by it from the east. Same goes for the Sheraton, being so close to 100 King W./Stelco Tower.

According to the database here, one of the taller apartment buildings downtown went up in 1984 too, the Martinique, but it kind of blends into the Durand mass. In that 2000 image I think it's the slab second from the right (the far right one should be Bay 200)

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 5:39 PM

I here is a shot taken a little further east at Sydenham Lookout but it gives an idea of the changes. I'm working on something to show the changes from a couple of other spots. If someone can embed this for me that would be great.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVa31XnF...dium=copy_link

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_planner View Post
I here is a shot taken a little further east at Sydenham Lookout but it gives an idea of the changes. I'm working on something to show the changes from a couple of other spots. If someone can embed this for me that would be great.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVa31XnF...dium=copy_link

Old Posted Sep 27, 2023, 4:50 PM
It's Hammer Time

Our planning office’s 3D model of downtown #HamOnt really captures the housing growth of the past couple of years. This is the model in 2020 vs. 2023 (green = approved; orange = application; blue = built or under construction)

Source: https://twitter.com/JasonThorne_RPP

Old Posted Sep 27, 2023, 8:29 PM

I wish that green one would get its crap together.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2023, 2:50 AM
Ham-burgher

I didn't know the city has one of those.

The one on the ground floor of Toronto city hall is amazing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Hamilton Photos