HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > China

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 10:43 PM

Questions about Guangzhou and China in general

Hello everyone,

I'm an architecture student from Iowa and I am doing a public housing project in the Tianhe district of Guangzhou. I've done a lot of reading about the history of Guangzhou, the Cultural Revolution, and the migration from rural areas to the cities, but I'm having trouble finding information on Tianhe in specific.

First off, it appears that Tianhe is going through a rapid period of development and gentrification. I've done some reading on urban villages that still exist within the city and both seemed to act pretty negatively toward them. I guess I'm looking for more insight from those of you that live there on what the opinion is of these traditional urban villages, SOE housing, and the transition to market housing that is currently happening. Also, how has Tianhe changed over time, and are there any significant events that occured here?

Most Americans react negatively toward public housing, but is there a different attitude toward it in China? Do the attitudes differ between age groups? From what I've read, it seems like younger generations prefer the newer market housing and immigrants to the city usually can only afford state housing or living in urban villages.

And lastly, I'm just curious about lifestyles and living in China in general. Are there certain activities or traditions that are part of the daily routine?

Sorry for all the questions...it's just that I know little besides what I have read and am really interested in learning more.

Thanks for your help!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2008, 1:04 PM
low life in a tall place

Please check the China section at www.skyscrapercity.com, as SSP is quite useless for this kind of information when it is not regarding the Americas.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 2:02 PM
Jethro

Tianhe is the district out of the city before the era of reform and opening-up, but now is the center of the city, as guangzhou grew much bigger!

space:http://tobeawiseman.spaces.live.com

MSN: jethrokong@hotmail.com

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 3:12 AM

In the late 1980's Tianhe was still all farm, but in the 1990's it started to grow super fast, after the asian game in 2010 Tianhe doesn't have much space to grow, so from what I was reading they are going to start from the 南沙 area. Is like the next big thing.

One of the best thing about Tianhe is Teen Mall, I love that mall, I been going there for so long. Now GZ has grand view mall which is one of the world largest mall. What helped Tianhe grow is gz metro line 1 and Teen mall, which started this whole thing.

Teen Mall to now is still one of the bustiest mall in gz. But most gz people still live in the old gz.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2009, 10:54 AM

This is the forefront of reform and opening up, but the specific approach has a great relationship with the Government. .

Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 1:41 AM

Just wandering around. There are exactly many problems when fulfill the reforms.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > China