HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Hamilton Photos

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 4:24 PM

Auchmar

Here are some shots of Auchmar from Doors Open 2008

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 4:27 PM

Very cool. What is the building in the second last photo?

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 4:30 PM

It would be awesome if that site could be restored and used as a B&B.

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 4:38 PM

B&B is a great idea.

The second last building is a dovecote. This is where doves and pigeons were stored (why, I don't know!)

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 4:50 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
B&B is a great idea.

The second last building is a dovecote. This is where doves and pigeons were stored (why, I don't know!)
There's one at Dundurn too. I guess it was one of those Victorian pastimes.

The last building is the old coach house and was the residence for the Sisters of the Social Service who ran Auchmar as a retreat house until being forced to sell it about 5 years ago or so. My great aunt in-law was one of the last sisters who lived there and we visited often, the kids enjoying the grounds, helping in the garden by the dovecote, and touring the house. It was a sad day for Auchmar and for the nuns when they had to go, not that they had the money for more than the most rudimentary maintenance.

An executive retreat or B&B/spa would seem like a good use. Of course, public museum would be the best, but too much to hope for. Squelch, squelch.

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 5:02 PM
Closed account

Thanks for the memories, Flar. I haven't been up there since the sisters left. Actually it looks better than I expected.

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
Thanks for the memories, Flar. I haven't been up there since the sisters left. Actually it looks better than I expected.
Probably because it's been used for some movie shoots as well. But your point about the sisters reminded me of something. When it was a convent Pope John Paul 2nd stayed with the sisters, but he was still a cardinal at the time. I believe this was in the mid 1970's. So an interesting history to this place.
Also not to stray too much off topic but supposedly he got some Polish sausage from Beach Road Meat Market (which is now on Locke Street, isn't it?) and continued to get it from there.

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 1:55 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Native View Post
Probably because it's been used for some movie shoots as well. But your point about the sisters reminded me of something. When it was a convent Pope John Paul 2nd stayed with the sisters, but he was still a cardinal at the time. I believe this was in the mid 1970's. So an interesting history to this place.
Also not to stray too much off topic but supposedly he got some Polish sausage from Beach Road Meat Market (which is now on Locke Street, isn't it?) and continued to get it from there.
Kewl. I did not know that. Yes, it has a very interesting history indeed. Second only to Dundurn, and not by much. It desperately needs to be preserved in its entirety.

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 3:26 AM
Closed account

i'd love to see it restored as an inn. people should be living in and enjoying this space and its beautiful grounds. the trick is finding someone to do this without filling the grounds with townhouses and an a&w.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 12:17 AM
Closed account

What gorgeous architect. Sure were superb craftsmen in those times.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Hamilton Photos